If you are fat, it's your fault and it's not healthy (also, you look terrible) -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marvin

Christorical Figure
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
When you choose to become overweight or obese (and it is a choice that takes a long time and dedication), then everyone can see it because you've visibly deformed your body. What you are incredibly bothered is the fact that people have eyes to see that fat people are, well, fat.

And guess what, when you decide that you're gonna start eating the amount of calories you should be eating based on your exercise output, people notice too. That's why you get people who say 'Have you been losing weight? You look great!' and encouraging people. Because they are getting over their vice and making better and healthier decisions for themselves, and the rest of society is proud of them for doing it.
The way you're phrasing this, it makes it sound like you care more that someone's poor health is visible, much more than you care about the fact that they've got poor health in the first place.

Doesn't that reflect negatively on your position?
If you want to go that route, no you shouldn't. It's also why unprotected anal sex can lead to a plethora of disease that regular sex will not.
I didn't say unprotected anal sex. I said anal sex.
That's not normal, no matter how you want to paint it.
I haven't been trying to paint it as normal, not in the least. I think it's very silly to judge something, morally, based on whether or not it's normal or not.
That's the real exceptionally hollow life. To be sitting around all day, doing nothing but eating, watching television or playing video as you are slowly dying, feeling terrible all the time.

And yes it's your choice, and you can decide to do that if you want, but why would you?
https://kiwifarms.net/attachments/ub1smht-jpg.82111/

Internet War Criminal

Making America Greater Again, One Lift at the Time
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Ah a Hollywood star that has the money to do whatever the fuck he wants whenever he wants to do it. Great example!

Hiking, climbing and such are all activities even non-millionaires can participate in, you know.

Several relatives of mine on one side of the tree struggled for years with steady exercise and diets and couldn't lose a pound. The difference is they were around 10-30 pounds overweight

I've seen many people struggling lose that last 10-20 pounds because it requires more self-control than losing weight when you are 80 pounds overweight. But in the end that's what it is, self-control and realistically looking at the calories you eat/exercise you really do. It's easy to think 'Oh just eating X will not change anything, but X times 10 over a week undoes everything you worked toward. Or to think that 20 minutes on the elliptical half-heartedly cancels out that starbucks drink with a thousand calories in it. That's usually the problem there.

Obesity is found in poor people more than middle class due to lack of education and fatty, cheap foods. It's unavoidable for some people due to poor food management.

It's not true anymore, though. 75% of men in America are fat. 69% of the whole population. It used to be the case a couple of decades ago, but its not a pandemic that hits all classes in society.

At a time when its never been easier to eat healthy without having to pay crazy amounts of money, too. Health food is more plentiful, everywhere and even fast food places often offer healthy alternatives that are not crazy high in terms of calories

You said Amy Schumer's in complete denial that she needs to lose weight, but she's 5'7 and 160, which is exactly 7 pounds over the standard healthy BMI range for her height. You said +/- 5lbs is fine. So, an extra 2 pounds above the healthy weight range plus the 'acceptable' five = in complete denial about the severe health complications she's facing from her blatantly overweight flabsack of a body?

Lol you actually believe her (or any celebrity) when she says 'Oh I weight this much'? This is not someone who is merely 5 pounds overweight:

9430980e788f57d07eb8c345b098ac79.jpg

CVGafd6WcAAuTDb.jpg

This is not a woman who is 5'7 160lbs. She's obviously not 200lbs either, but much closer to 180lbs than 160lbs for sure.

Yeah, so why go after her like she's obese when there's so much else to criticize her for?

I didn't go about her for being incredibly fat, I went after her for the hypocrisy of her saying that there's nothing wrong with being plus sized and that fat is beautiful then throwing a shitfit 'think about the children' when she's called fat herself.

Time is not all minted the same. Your youth is much more valuable than your golden years.

This is an incredibly messed up way of viewing/living life. Thanks to technology and the greatness of capitalism, you can now live a great, active and healthy life way into your 60s+. I know people who run half-/marathons in that age range. I know people in their 60s and early 70s who are in better shape than most people in their late teens, 20s and 30s.

You don't have a youth when you struggle going up two flights of stairs without being out of breath, and constantly feel terrible and don't have the energy to engage in anything because being overweight/obese is a drain on your system.

Deadpool

Life is stupid, laugh at it.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
@Internet War Criminal have you thought about how offensive your posting on this subject can be for people with problems that legitimatly can't lose weight? You put your little percentages, but guess what some people fall into those percentages, some fall into multiple of said percentages. I personally have a plethora of medical problems both physical and mental that make it virtually impossible to lose weight (none of which are caused by my weight btw.) and keep it off. People like me know it's not a good thing and wish we could lose weight. We don't need judgemental pricks reminding us of that. Your post here doesn't make you some truth telling hero, just someone who wants to poke at an easy fucking target.

Edit: Didn't mean to come off so angry. Should take time to cool off before responding. Especially on a bad day.

Last edited:

Marvin

Christorical Figure
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This is an incredibly messed up way of viewing/living life. Thanks to technology and the greatness of capitalism, you can now live a great, active and healthy life way into your 60s+. I know people who run half-/marathons in that age range. I know people in their 60s and early 70s who are in better shape than most people in their late teens, 20s and 30s.

You don't have a youth when you struggle going up two flights of stairs without being out of breath, and constantly feel terrible and don't have the energy to engage in anything because being overweight/obese is a drain on your system.
You fundamentally have different experiences than other people. You keep telling people how terrible they feel while fat. Well, not terrible enough, I guess.

Like, what if someone was preaching to you about how you spend too much time doing the things you like.

"Oh sir, you should quit riding that bike. Your time would be better spent in church. Don't you feel empty and meaningless? I mean, is physical enjoyment really worth sacrificing your eternal soul? Quit doing the things you enjoy! You're a dumbass for enjoying those things, when you've got a perfectly good heaven to go to!"

Like, I can deal with a little bit of proselytization. Everyone thinks their religion is the best. I mean, it's still kind of annoying, but I can understand the thought behind it. But when you come on with the hard sell, and spend a bunch of time telling people their tastes are wrong, you've lost me.

The healthy living shtick becomes another religion at some point.

norrington

тунеядца, враг народа
kiwifarms.net
This is not a woman who is 5'7 160lbs. She's obviously not 200lbs either, but much closer to 180lbs than 160lbs for sure.
She's not exactly on the verge of a heart attack and diabetes either, her waist circumference barely hits into 'overweight' territory if at all. Shit like this does more damage to people (women especially) trying to lose weight by making them feel hopeless when they have God only knows how much more to lose than Schumer or Tyra Banks or whatever other fat celeb of the day rolls in.

Self esteem and self-care is a huge part of successful and non-disordered weight loss, which is a large part of what HAIS is about. People go overboard and distort the original point of it all but that doesn't mean the solution is to go in the opposite direction and shame people into losing weight, especially when the whole fucking thing started in response to ever-climbing rates of anorexia, bulimia, and binge eating disorder (all of which share the same root psychological causes relating to body dysmorphia, rock-bottom self esteem, and other factors like depression, anxiety, compulsive tendencies, and a laundry list of other shit).

HAIS didn't start because a bunch of fat people got together and went 'well, we don't wanna work out so let's change society to suit us and not make us feel bad', it started in response to the diet-craze and body-shaming culture US pop culture and news media has become, in an attempt to curb the hundreds and thousands dying of complications related to eating disorders after years of torturing themselves on the daily and living in absolute fucking misery.

Like yeah, be annoyed with self-entitled fat fucks, be annoyed with inconsiderate smokers who bitch about tax, be annoyed with drinkers who can't admit they have a problem, but hopping on the flagellation bus isn't helping these people whose health you claim to be concerned about.

Internet War Criminal

Making America Greater Again, One Lift at the Time
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
@Internet War Criminal have you thought about how offensive your posting on this subject can be for people with problems that legitimatly can't lose weight? You put your little percentages, but guess what some people fall into those percentages, some fall into multiple of said percentages. I personally have a plethora of medical problems both physical and mental that make it virtually impossible to lose weight (none of which are caused by my weight btw.) and keep it off. People like me know it's not a good thing and wish we could lose weight. We don't need judgemental pricks reminding us of that. Your post here doesn't make you some truth telling hero, just someone who wants to poke at an easy fucking target.

Edit: Didn't mean to come off so angry. Should take time to cool off before responding. Especially on a bad day.

I've already covered this, but again if you read the OP properly you will see that I'm not addressing people who have legit medical problem, but rather those who don't/blame it on medical problems that are not actually the reason why they are fat. And as I mentioned earlier, if you are overweight and suffering from mental illnesses that make it impossible for you to lead a healthy life, it's probably not a good idea to be reading threads that are addressed to healthy people who could be leading healthy lives but don't.

And if we're gonna stop from discussing issues because 0.005% of the population are affected by it but can't do anything about it, what are we gonna be able to discuss?

The way you're phrasing this, it makes it sound like you care more that someone's poor health is visible, much more than you care about the fact that they've got poor health in the first place.

Doesn't that reflect negatively on your position?

It does not, because I live in the real world where it's only possible to care about things you know. If someone is a secret alcoholic, how am I supposed to care about the damaging impact it has on their health? If someone goes back home and starts shooting up smack, how am I supposed to know until he's way way down that road and it starts to physically show on the outside too?

With overweight/obese people, it's right there in your face. For other vices, not so much. Oh, yeah, and also the fact that 70% of the population is affected by this. It's not a case of one extremely fat person once in a while, it's something that you will inevitably see the second you get your foot out of the door.

If 70% of Americans were alcoholics, I'd be caring a lot more about it than I do now.

You fundamentally have different experiences than other people. You keep telling people how terrible they feel while fat. Well, not terrible enough, I guess.

Like, what if someone was preaching to you about how you spend too much time doing the things you like.

"Oh sir, you should quit riding that bike. Your time would be better spent in church. Don't you feel empty and meaningless? I mean, is physical enjoyment really worth sacrificing your eternal soul? Quit doing the things you enjoy! You're a dumbass for enjoying those things, when you've got a perfectly good heaven to go to!"

I'm don't "keep telling people". I posted a thread on one message board stating that being overweight/obese is a real problem for society, it's not good, and people should change. No one's forced to read it, and I don't randomly walk into threads saying 'Hey, are you fat? Then stop!' So yeah your example doesn't work at all. This is a board for discussing and debating thing, and this is what I'm engaging in.

She's not exactly on the verge of a heart attack and diabetes either, her waist circumference barely hits into 'overweight' territory if at all.

Again you're still missing the entire point I was making

HAIS didn't start because a bunch of fat people got together and went 'well, we don't wanna work out so let's change society to suit us and not make us feel bad',

Actually that's exactly how it started. HAES is not about fighting eating disorders, it's about first and foremost validating obesity as a life choice and saying that it's not unhealthy and it's good thing. HAES is basically 'Fat Pride'

Status
Not open for further replies.