If you controlled education, what it would be like? - Where kids actually learn real things

ClownBrew

Drink the brew!
kiwifarms.net
Foreign language would be taught in the early years. Teens are already too old to master the pronunciations and get a natural accent in the second language...and that's half the reason why they just blow it off and treat the language like a joke and then promptly forget every word they had to study as soon as it is no longer needed for some dumb rote repetition based exam.

Stormy Daniel's Lawyer

So it goes.
kiwifarms.net
Every year starting in the 5th grade I would demand that schools teach children every aspect about money and civics.

School uniforms required for all grades.
No cell phones are allowed.

Classes would be segregated by gender.

After the sixth grade, students can choose to either pursue a vocational education, or the traditional route to a higher education.

School cafeterias would serve freshly made meals and fruit every single day, and there would be no charge.

There's a fuck ton more but these would be my top edicts.

Agent Abe Caprine

Goat rights are human rights
kiwifarms.net
I'd allow bottles of water in class. As for fixing education, I'm just a humble shitposter. I can't fix it. I would take salisbury steak off the cafeteria menu. Looking at those things killed my appetite.

Samir

kiwifarms.net
I'd install a semi-decent curriculum on the Theory of Evolution. Going into how it precisely takes place, how we know what we do about it, and just generally improve on what my school failed at. You'd be so surprised at how many people deny evolution based on them not understanding it, or how many people literally think humans came from monkeys. When I was being taught evolution, all I was basically told was: "Yeah, Darwin, Miller-Urey experiment, uhhhh natural selection, uh strong ape survive = human gorillion years later." When there's so much more to it than that.

Also, teach these kids how science actually works. Science is meant to be challenged and questioned. When you don't teach that to people, you end up with the "NOOOOOOO TRUST THE EXPERTS THE SCIENCE IS TRUE NOOOOOO" crowd.

Fulla Shit

kiwifarms.net
Kids would be encouraged to ask more questions, rather than regurgitate someone else's answers. What do you really want to know about life and ultimate reality? What hasn't been discovered yet, that you yearn to know? What questions are important to YOU, not the questions you have to memorise the answers to for exams? Question every fucking thing. Question who you are and what you really, deeply want, not second hand answers fed into you by societies rules and conditioning. We need fresh minds.

Edit: shit spelling, sorry.

Overcast

She will always be in my heart...
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I would throw all the children in a coliseum and have them fight for survival. Will throw in lions, cobras and scorpions into the mix to make things interesting.

The surviving children will be educated to become super soldiers who will help me take over the world. As well as defend it from alien invaders.

Hellbound Hellhound

kiwifarms.net
I'd place a greater emphasis on critical thinking, and less of an emphasis on rote learning and standardized testing (at least beyond what is necessary to measure progress). I'd also make the classroom a more relaxed environment, where students feel encouraged to ask questions and discuss the topics being taught, and I'd end the pointless formalities of school life which I think needlessly impede children's individual development (things like school uniforms and petty restrictions on verbal etiquette would be scrapped altogether).

Overall, I'd adopt a liberal approach to education, where the main goal would be to inspire students to learn and excel at what they're good at.

I'd place a greater emphasis on critical thinking, and less of an emphasis on rote learning and standardized testing (at least beyond what is necessary to measure progress). I'd also make the classroom a more relaxed environment, where students feel encouraged to ask questions and discuss the topics being taught, and I'd end the pointless formalities of school life which I think needlessly impede children's individual development (things like school uniforms and petty restrictions on verbal etiquette would be scrapped altogether).

Overall, I'd adopt a liberal approach to education, where the main goal would be to inspire students to learn and excel at what they're good at.
Someone is bound to call you a faggot nonce for those suggestions, as you are you sounding like the cool new teacher here to shake things up.

I've just preempted them to steal their thunder and leave them feeling frustrated.

Hellbound Hellhound

kiwifarms.net
Someone is bound to call you a faggot nonce for those suggestions, as you are you sounding like the cool new teacher here to shake things up.

I've just preempted them to steal their thunder and leave them feeling frustrated.
It may sound wishy-washy to a lot of people, but I've yet to see any hard evidence to suggest that making school environments less like prisons would be a bad idea.

Troonologist PhD

kiwifarms.net
OP’s suggestions are pretty good. I would have the school day be based around the sleep needs of children and adolescents rather than the adult workday. As it is now teachers are just state funded babysitters who don’t even do their job properly.

I would start by purging the school system of lefty cancer-AIDS and uppity teachers who think it’s their job to be the parent.

Johnny Treason

kiwifarms.net
G5Axup-j8psHKouT9HNzDgoAGZ0b9nLneUhmeWJZdt8.png

The kids have to learn about TekWar sooner or later

Lemmingwise

The capture of the last white wizard, decolorized
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Making things more relaxed and greater emphasis on critical thinking are contradictory, as critical thinking invariably leads to conflict.

I also can't shake that this experiment has been run and leads to this:

Never Scored

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Build standard high school math around personal finance and budgeting and calculating interest and stuff like that. The more standard high school math that is useful in fields like engineering is an optional course you have to take if you intend on going to university.

Hellbound Hellhound

kiwifarms.net
Making things more relaxed and greater emphasis on critical thinking are contradictory, as critical thinking invariably leads to conflict.

I also can't shake that this experiment has been run and leads to this:

Critical thinking only leads to conflict when people have been conditioned into a dogmatic way of thinking, which is precisely what the students in that video are a symptom of. Real education is about liberating people from that way of thinking, which I'm sadly inclined to suspect is the main reason it is apparently so lacking in many areas of institutional education.

BrownPhillip

"I've been getting pussybeamed"
kiwifarms.net
As soon as elementary school is over. The child, and the parents should have a specialized program to choose what does the teenager continues studying. I believe middle and high schooling are so saturated with subjects. The student comes too confused and exhausted to properly assess what should he study or work moving forward.

Also. Fuck colleges. The state should be as far as humanly possible from superior education (no funds, no tax-breaks, no grants). To see what would colleges do having to actually compete without the vulgar amount of breaks and funds they extract from the States to spit out such incompetent graduates, is a personal dream of My Little Stalin.