If you controlled education, what it would be like? - Where kids actually learn real things

Making things more relaxed and greater emphasis on critical thinking are contradictory, as critical thinking invariably leads to conflict.

I also can't shake that this experiment has been run and leads to this:

No, Ms Lowe was one of your trained Marxist black women.
Psy op, which has led to the worst thing ever... Benny the Bonce Boyce having a career. He's an ear for the company, you know?

This what you get when you expect the state to look after your kids.

Maxxicus Callahan

kiwifarms.net
This is a really great idea for a thread, it’s a complex question and I look forward to reading into it in more detail. Put simply I particularly hated high school in almost every way possible and wish I’d failed out in retrospect to gain some control over my own life. Given my own experiences I would be tempted to homeschool my children at all costs especially if the current structures remain in place for education. I don’t know about others but I feel it didn’t help me grow at all and if anything it sucked the creative life and natural curiosity from my soul. I hardly read books afterwards or wanted to really learn anything for myself. I feel I’ve gained some of that back over time thankfully but it is so micro-managing and compulsory the way it invades every aspect of your life and lives inside your mind rent free even when you are not in school. All of this being done to you with the claim that it prepares you for the real word but in actuality it confuses you about who you are and sets you up for failure in pursuit of a fruitless post-secondary education by equipping you with only a sliver of information about what opportunities are available and negating to teach you how to live with some very important basic skills.

The reason I claim this is complex though on a broader scale is that if we did away with state mandated education society would collapse and the wealthy would have an unequal advantage over everyone else in terms of quality education and right now they already do but this would be even more so.

I think for examples of good education it is worth looking at Finland, for one they have abolished homework and exams are far less important in education. This makes it so that a child can enjoy their free time like adults are permitted to do so when they are done work and fulfill their own interests and pursuits. Also teachers are highly qualified as much as doctors and payed just as well. I would abolish for profit private education to eliminate class based distinctions in education, a country should make sure everyone receives the highest education for everyone since it means the rich are just as invested in the public system as anyone else. I would go a step further following Finland’s example and institute an optional path for participating in military/civil service directly after High School which entitles you to a free post secondary education afterwards. Do your service working for the country helping with vital works and you should be entitled to a free education. The advantage is that you meet your fellow countrymen and learn who you share the country with so experiences overlap and we aren’t as divided as a society between urban and rural, race, class etc. God forbid if a major disaster happens for the country you also have trained conscripts ready to do their duty.

The other examples I’d take from are Switzerland and Japan. I saw in Japan children from a very young age are taught how to make healthy communal meals together. Breaking bread and learning cooperation are fundamental to healthy growth and basic living skills. In Switzerland you can have students take an education path that gives them a guaranteed job at the end. Sometimes this can be problematic since people change their careers and paths in life but it’s a great idea to combine job experience with theoretical education otherwise how do you see the forest through the trees. It’s nice to see how some countries care about putting their young people ahead instead of lambasting them with bullshit about how they are lazy and entitled and then saying fuck you when you can’t find a career after doing everything you’ve been told you should do to succeed.

Last edited:

Stafiti

kiwifarms.net
I would probably make it one where children can always get help. After all, sometimes we force children to learn such nonsensical things. My son goes to school and it is difficult for him to master the writing of works, so he and I often read reviews like Writersperhour review on the resource and choose help for him there. I think this is a good option in order to make it a little easier for our children to learn. After all, when I was studying, I did not have such an opportunity and just hated school.

Last edited:

Cheerlead-in-Chief

kiwifarms.net
Force elementary and middle and high school students into mandatory Geography, for one.
Any student that fails simple multiplication, division, algebra, Pythagoras' Theorem should drop out
And more emphasis on languages. And additional tutoring.

Sped Xing

!Bigfoot! sightings please call 908-314-7784
kiwifarms.net
Force elementary and middle and high school students into mandatory Geography, for one.
Any student that fails simple multiplication, division, algebra, Pythagoras' Theorem should drop out
And more emphasis on languages. And additional tutoring.
And a pony.

Cheerlead-in-Chief

kiwifarms.net
What of clever Hans
>Hans....(reminds me of Kasper Hauser)
Military School to become a calvaryman like his father, minus the blinding and force-feeding of breadcrumbs.
And a dumb clarification: I meant Paris Hilton becomes a Subtitute teacher in three fields: Sex Ed/Home Economics/Basics of Algebra.

Kiwi Lime Pie

Simply tasteful. 🥝🥧🐈
kiwifarms.net
hardly read books afterwards or wanted to really learn anything for myself. I feel I’ve gained some of that back over time thankfully but it is so micro-managing and compulsory the way it invades every aspect of your life and lives inside your mind rent free even when you are not in school.
My junior high reading class would read various novels from various periods of US history which in itself wasn't a bad thing. The issue I had was that our teacher would ask the most obscure and pointless questions on our weekly tests - questions such as, "Why did (character) wear a green dress in this chapter?" At that age, the first thought is, "Who the ---- cares?" especially in a book where said character isn't even the main protagonist and has secondary at best importance towards the plot. That sort of micromanaging of what details were most important removed any enjoyment I got out of reading the books. As an adult, it feels good to read a book on the rare occasion when time permits and enjoy reading it however I please and not have to worry about details that may or may not be relevant in the overall tale.

The reason I claim this is complex though on a broader scale is that if we did away with state mandated education society would collapse and the wealthy would have an unequal advantage over everyone else in terms of quality education and right now they already do but this would be even more so.
We do need some sort of minimum level of education, agreed. The problem comes with those students who perform well above or below average in one or more subjects. The former gets bored easily and there a may be few resources available to keep them engaged at their higher level which means they get dumbed down by class material that appeals to those performing at or near grade level. The latter group will struggle no matter what and will fall farther and farther behind without proper intervention. I'm not sure how to implement it effectively, but there almost needs to be some sort of period early on in a class to determine a student's performance. Those above average might benefit from learning advanced material that adequately challenges them. Those below average would receive instruction that broke down the important aspects in a way that made it easier for them to grasp. Like anything else, however, politics and pressures to succeed/pass dictate classroom policy instead at the expense of student performance.

This makes it so that a child can enjoy their free time like adults are permitted to do so when they are done work and fulfill their own interests and pursuits.
From my experiences in Finland, this seems spot on. When it's time to work, that is done with the appropriate level of seriousness. When the work or school day is over, it's time to enjoy one's free time. As a result, people seem more laid back when they know how to better separate their work life form their personal/leisurely life.

If I also recall, the civil option for the mandatory service commitment can also be fulfilled by something as simple as a stint working as a clerk in city hall because that's what one of my friends did to satisfy his commitment.

I'm not sure how civil service would work in the US when we have SJW/dangerhair/hambeast/activist types that care more about themselves than anyone else and are the type of people one would not want in the military or any sort of mandated service capacity because they simply would get nothing out the experience.

The other examples I’d take from are Switzerland and Japan. I saw in Japan children from a very young age are taught how to make healthy communal meals together.
This may fall back on the lack of both financial and home economics education in the STEM era. People see how convenient it is to order meal kits without realizing that: (1) They cost more than what it would cost to buy the ingredients at the grocery store, and (2) If they can follow the recipe that comes with the kit, they can just as easily do so with store-bought ingredients. In this time of instant pleasure and gratification, however, nobody wants to do anything if it takes "too much time" even if it means doing so for less expense.