Inktober - you will finish it this time, maybe

Allen

Most oblivious kiwi ever
kiwifarms.net
I don't know really, but if he does then a thread could be nice. Honestly, copyright and trying to get money for people who do inktober....

Reactions: MerriedxReldnahc

MerriedxReldnahc

World's Okay-est Proctologist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I remember some type of copyright issues coming up last year(?) and the explanation was that he wasn't actually trying to go after people, it was a "legal misunderstanding" of some type. I saw the plagiarism come up on Twitter and also on DeviantArt so it's gonna be real interesting what Inktober turns out to be this year.
I will still be doing it, it will be year 5 for me. Thinking of repeating what I did in 2018 and following a background and environment themed prompt. I struggle a lot with creating interesting environments in my comics so it will be a good thing to practice.

Reactions: Bessie

Super-Chevy454

kiwifarms.net
Was unaware of it until reading your post and searching "creator of Inktober". Does this guy do lolcow things other than this?

ETA: Thanks for the heads up about him either way.
The guys of Clownfish Tv vlogged about this.

Here the video of the guy then Parker copied.

• Informative
Reactions: Bessie

Blondie

Forever young, I want to be forever young.
kiwifarms.net
Dude it's the fucking start of September, can we at least wait until it's October? please?

Also what fucking tactical nuke went off in here? We got another potential lolcow on our hands.

One Man Bland

kiwifarms.net
I don't know really, but if he does then a thread could be nice. Honestly, copyright and trying to get money for people who do inktober....
God, I’ve seen so much misinformation about this my eyes just roll into the back in my head.

He didn’t try to copyright Inktober: he trademarked the logo he designed that has been used for official Inktober events for years so that there’d be a means to differentiate between official, sponsored Inktober merch and events that he’s in charge of and unofficial events and bootlegged material trying to pass itself off as the real thing. The only - and I mean ONLY - people who were hurt by this were people who literally copy-pasted Jake Parker’s logo onto a cheap PDF cover to try their sell their shitty art at a ridiculous markup. All of them being danger-haired Tumblrinas who had a history of over-blowing perceived slights to start up witch hunts, might I add.

As for the plagiarism allegations - I was skeptical so I did some digging and it looks like it’s all a big nothingburger from someone who’s either ignorant & narcissistic or just a straight up grifter. Not only is Dunn, the accuser, trying to claim that he can hold the copyright to a fucking book layout, but he’s basically claiming he invented concepts like line variation and gradients and how dare Parker, an art instructor with decades more experience than him, cover basic inking concepts in a book that’s specifically about covering the basics of inking. It’s like the art education equivalent of claiming you hold exclusive creative rights for "A is for Apple." And how convenient that by going after Parker, Dunn can just-so-happen to get a ton of publicity for his own (Black owned! for all you socially conscious folx out there) book that‘s on the market when Parker’s book isn’t even out yet.

Seriously, everyone with a hate boner for the Inktober guy are way bigger lolcows.

Last edited:

One Man Bland

kiwifarms.net
Forgot to add: Even if "book layout" was something you could claim the copyright to, it wouldn't even apply in this case just on the grounds that Dunn’s book is in 8.5x11 portrait format while Parker’s is a square. It’s impossible for them to have identical layouts (much less similar enough to cry plagiarism) because two books having completely different shapes and dimensions won’t allow for it.

That really should’ve been the first clue Dunn was either ignorantly or maliciously full of shit.

• Winner
Reactions: Yamma Damma

Yamma Damma

Damma Doo
kiwifarms.net
God, I’ve seen so much misinformation about this my eyes just roll into the back in my head.

He didn’t try to copyright Inktober: he trademarked the logo he designed that has been used for official Inktober events for years so that there’d be a means to differentiate between official, sponsored Inktober merch and events that he’s in charge of and unofficial events and bootlegged material trying to pass itself off as the real thing. The only - and I mean ONLY - people who were hurt by this were people who literally copy-pasted Jake Parker’s logo onto a cheap PDF cover to try their sell their shitty art at a ridiculous markup. All of them being danger-haired Tumblrinas who had a history of over-blowing perceived slights to start up witch hunts, might I add.

As for the plagiarism allegations - I was skeptical so I did some digging and it looks like it’s all a big nothingburger from someone who’s either ignorant & narcissistic or just a straight up grifter. Not only is Dunn, the accuser, trying to claim that he can hold the copyright to a fucking book layout, but he’s basically claiming he invented concepts like line variation and gradients and how dare Parker, an art instructor with decades more experience than him, cover basic inking concepts in a book that’s specifically about covering the basics of inking. It’s like the art education equivalent of claiming you hold exclusive creative rights for "A is for Apple." And how convenient that by going after Parker, Dunn can just-so-happen to get a ton of publicity for his own (Black owned! for all you socially conscious folx out there) book that‘s on the market when Parker’s book isn’t even out yet.

Seriously, everyone with a hate boner for the Inktober guy are way bigger lolcows.
BRAVO! :drink: This was the first thing I wanted to post about when Tor worked again but you said what I wanted and better because I don't know shit about the negro pointing fingers and "signal boosting" his dime-a-dozen drawing book (which just got the "#1 Best Seller" orange sticker on his book listing...funny that).

Jake Parker's Inktober nontroversies are proof that aspiring artists who aren't solely hobbyists are fucking ignorant of the realities to how art gets on products, not just books! When I went to college for art, they taught us fuck all about getting paid for it. Just technique, tools and how to "find inspiration". I had to learn on my own and it wasn't easy. People tried to argue "Inktober belongs to the community and its people" ignoring that it still fucking does if you read the statement and weren't a bunch of money-hating commies who unironically believe the "when you wish upon a star" mantra. Even if Parker copyrighted the whole of Inktober, nobody's stopping you from doing a drawing challenge in everything but name only. Except yourself of course. 🚬

If Parker was smart, he'd get off Twitter and just stick to Instagram and his newsletters. Twitter tried to cancel him twice now. And if this Dunn guy was smarter, he'd admit he's an asshat, suit and tie who scammed everyone and smeared Parker before he gets dragged through the copyright courts.

And it may be heading there anyway since the Inktober book got unlisted from amazon (publisher said "they're looking into the matter") and DeviantART cancelled the Inktober Awards outright. We'll see.

One Man Bland

kiwifarms.net
BRAVO! :drink: This was the first thing I wanted to post about when Tor worked again but you said what I wanted and better because I don't know shit about the negro pointing fingers and "signal boosting" his dime-a-dozen drawing book (which just got the "#1 Best Seller" orange sticker on his book listing...funny that).

Jake Parker's Inktober nontroversies are proof that aspiring artists who aren't solely hobbyists are fucking ignorant of the realities to how art gets on products, not just books! When I went to college for art, they taught us fuck all about getting paid for it. Just technique, tools and how to "find inspiration". I had to learn on my own and it wasn't easy. People tried to argue "Inktober belongs to the community and its people" ignoring that it still fucking does if you read the statement and weren't a bunch of money-hating commies who unironically believe the "when you wish upon a star" mantra. Even if Parker copyrighted the whole of Inktober, nobody's stopping you from doing a drawing challenge in everything but name only. Except yourself of course. 🚬

If Parker was smart, he'd get off Twitter and just stick to Instagram and his newsletters. Twitter tried to cancel him twice now. And if this Dunn guy was smarter, he'd admit he's an asshat, suit and tie who scammed everyone and smeared Parker before he gets dragged through the copyright courts.

And it may be heading there anyway since the Inktober book got unlisted from amazon (publisher said "they're looking into the matter") and DeviantART cancelled the Inktober Awards outright. We'll see.
If you want a really thorough, in-depth look at how fucking stupid all of the Inktober non-troversies have been, this breakdown here is an excellent one.

And don't get me started on how infuriating it is that so many "professional" Twitter artists have little to no legal literacy. I know some schools that teach the business side of art as an elective, but that shit should be mandatory. The most frustrating thing about that debacle was that Parker gave a thorough breakdown on how everyone can make money off their Inktober art without any issues, all of it basically coming down to not using Inktober as the main title & not using his logo - which he absolutely shouldn't have to do because any faggot with common sense could look up "trademark fair use" - and he's still treated like this money grubbing villain. And like the post I linked mentions, it seems really insidious that a bunch of Twitter artists want to erode the legal rights of a still-living artist and divorce the amount of time, effort, and money he puts into Inktober every year from the event itself - and all for wholly self-serving reasons.

It's funny you should say "just do Inktober in all but name" though. Because ever since people threw a tantrum over Parker saying Inktober is supposed to be for ink work a few years ago, I would always ask people whenever the issue why they just had to do Inktober specifically when there's so many other October art challenges that aren't medium-specific like Artober, Drawtober, Drawlloween, Monstober, Goretober, Kinktober, 31 Witches/Witchyween, to name a few. Hell, all these people could be participating in Sketchtember right now. If it's just about improving your art and sharing your accomplishments, it shouldn't matter what the actual challenge is named right? Well, predictably, they'd all give me the same whiny "b-b-but what if I don't get as many LIKES? I have to tag it Inktober!" because what really pissed them off was not the limitation of the medium or their cries of "ableism" or "classism" ow whatever, but because they interpreted Parker's statement as him calling them out as the leeching posers that they are.

The only thing I'm still not clear on is Dunn's sincerity. On the one hand one thing he brags about is that he's 100% self-taught and never read anyone else's art books before this (even though he supposedly got an MFA... seems legit.) And reading some of those choice quotes from his plagiarism video, I could buy that he is genuinely that pretentious and believes that the fucking spirit quests he went on to decide which basic art terms he should use were novel and revolutionary. But on the other hand, it's hard not to see how much incentive there is to make such an accusation when the video serves as free advertising for his own book, and the timing is certainly suspicious. His video also seems to be targeted towards people who will be less knowledgable than him, and being an hour long of unfocused sperging it seems almost designed to be given the TL;DW treatment so people assume they know what's in the video without actually analyzing it themselves.

If this happened during a less polarized year, I'd be inclined to think this is just another case of delusion and ego, but as it stands I'm down to two theories:
  1. Dunn saw the teaser pages to Parker's book and saw that some of the content looked similar - though the presentation differs quite a bit. Being entirely self-taught with no point of reference for other art education material on the market, instead of thinking "man I guess I picked a pretty saturated market to write a book on" instead thought "he LITERALLY stole my book!!!"
  2. Parker, in good faith, shared Dunn's book on his Instagram one time. Dunn probably saw an increase in sales from this, but it probably pittered off rather quickly. Dunn saw Parker promoting his own book, got dollar signs in his eyes, and drummed up a video full of nonsense accusations shrouded in Hipster Artist Speak, comforted by the fact that if anyone even a little knowledgeable in the field expresses skeptism the Twitter White Knight Brigade will come down with a flurry of "are you suggesting a BLACK man is uneducated???" as they proudly post screencaps of their Amazon purchases of Dunn's book.
Either way, I think this will blow over by the time October comes around. It's going to be stupidly easy for Parker to prove to his publishers that Dunn's full of shit since all he has to do is break out his copy of Rendering in Pen and Ink to prove that the terminology and examples he used are well over 60 years old. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if his publisher's statement "we're looking into it" was mostly just a formality and they're just waiting for some of the heat to die down - which will mostly suck just because the plan was clearly to release it alongside Inktober, but that likely can't happen now. And even though Amazon pulled its listing, Barnes and Noble still has its listing up and evidently not that many people care enough to review bomb it compared to other witch hunts. Plus, none of Parker's other sponsors have announced that they're pulling funding, and at least one I saw advertising their Inktober supplies had a sold out a lot of their stock. As for DeviantArt, I think that will hurt them more than Parker in the long run because Inktober was one of the few things keeping up the illusion that DA had any sort of dignity. Plus I'm pretty sure the respected professional hubs ArtStation are still planning on hosting Inktober events, though we won't know for certain until late September/early October, so I don't think Parker will sweat losing the fetish hub's support.

My biggest guess on what'll happen? The people who bought Dunn's book as a virtue signal will flip through it exactly once before it goes to collect dust on the shelf or into a used books bargain bin. Dunn will later be revealed as either an embarrassing boob who didn't know gradient boxes and line weight varitations were a thing outside of his YouTube channel, or a flat out con artist. This will quickly be memory-holed soon after everyone finishes making their obligatory "Inktober Plagiarism Controversy Was A Scam???" videos. Parker's book will be published with some grumbling, but since the content is pretty standard the anger won't last long. And from here on out, every Inktober there will be some Twatter user who makes a "friendly reminder the Inktober guy is a racist who copies black men's work" that will be countered with a bunch of "no you fucking idiot that was debunked ages ago right here [insert YouTube commentator video]" before the OP makes a defensive "Well I was just repeating what I heard" before dropping the matter.

Win98SE

kiwifarms.net
Dunn makes excellent videos IMO, but I'm a beginner and have no formal training/education in art, so I think the assessment of his videos largely targeting people who are more disconnected from the larger art communities of Twitter/Instagram (and therefore won't question his reasoning) are right on the money. The counterpoints mentioned here are my first time seeing anything other than outright support for him.

Not sure what he stands to gain from this either. He's closing in on 700k subscribers and his book seems pretty popular, so not like he was stagnating or anything.

Overall seems like a lose-lose. No official Inktober, Parker gets his book pulled, and Dunn maybe sees only a small uptick in book sales? Seems wasteful.

Disc

Corruption in the CD-Rom
kiwifarms.net
And like the post I linked mentions, it seems really insidious that a bunch of Twitter artists want to erode the legal rights of a still-living artist and divorce the amount of time, effort, and money he puts into Inktober every year from the event itself - and all for wholly self-serving reasons.
Not sure about the legal situation in this case, but this reminds me of a whole thing about the Australian aboriginal flag.

People were/are getting pissed about some specific company that's not aboriginal-owned getting grabby about the copyright. The reason they had the copyright to begin with is because the original artist, Harold Thomas, still has the right to license that, and gave it to them in a perfectly legal transaction. Moreover, the copyright is only enforced for personal, for-profit use.

The only reason they have any power to copyright the flag is because they paid the original artist.

Though I understand the outrage, the options are either cheating out the Aboriginal people (by letting Harold Thomas keep licensing to whoever the fuck he wants) or cheating out the original aboriginal artist (by buying it so everyone else can profit).

• Informative
Reactions: One Man Bland

One Man Bland

kiwifarms.net
Dunn makes excellent videos IMO, but I'm a beginner and have no formal training/education in art, so I think the assessment of his videos largely targeting people who are more disconnected from the larger art communities of Twitter/Instagram (and therefore won't question his reasoning) are right on the money. The counterpoints mentioned here are my first time seeing anything other than outright support for him.

Not sure what he stands to gain from this either. He's closing in on 700k subscribers and his book seems pretty popular, so not like he was stagnating or anything.

Overall seems like a lose-lose. No official Inktober, Parker gets his book pulled, and Dunn maybe sees only a small uptick in book sales? Seems wasteful.
Honestly, I have no criticisms against Dunn‘s art itself. He’s quite talented, though there is a noticeable ‘self taught‘ feel to his work - which isn’t bad at all, but it is noticeable watching multiple vides back-to-back. I personally find his teaching methods kinda hit-or-miss - especially in areas where he seems weaker artistically like freehanding humans - and I noticed there‘s points where he does the "Step 1: draw an owl, Step 2: draw the rest of the fucking owl" thing a lot of online tutorials are prone to doing. Again, not a bad artist, but i don’t think he’s someone I’d follow religiously for art advice.

What really floored me reading through his criticisms of Parker was that he kept saying that Parker used the same exact structure of his own book, but then when it came to the topic of consistency Dunn has to scroll all the way to shading (which is listed as page 62) to get to the subject while Parker put it right after the "how to hold your pen" section. And then Dunn acts like Parker’s the idiot for putting it where he did and that’s definitive proof that Parker doesn’t actually know what he’s talking about and therefore stole everything from Dunn. Like, I have literally NEVER had an art book that put consistency that far into whats supposed to be educational material, because typically it’s harder to make inconsistent lines versus varying ones when you’re a beginner. I just got a calligraphy workbook, and the first 10 pages or so are consistency exercises because you need to learn control of your pen and arm before you even think about varying your pen pressure.

And then Dunn has the nerve to say "As I was learning pen and ink, I realized there were certain concepts that I needed to be aware of that I couldn’t find an explanation for, so I created them"? About line consistency and variation? How did anyone take him seriously after that sentence when there‘s hundreds of art resources that came out before Dunn’s book - some from 1800s - that prove him wrong? It only strengthens my suspicions that very few people actually watched - and I mean watched, not just put it on in the background and pay 1/4th of attention - Dunn’s video from how many people I’ve seen parrot the claims that the books are exact, carbon copies when they’re so clearly not, or the stuff that is similar is stuff you can find thousands of duplicates of dated before Dunn’s book across the interwebs.

It’s going to be interesting to see where this goes. While I agree there’s very little long-term incentive to do something like this, in my experience drama like this is never created by people who think things through and I’m curious as to what his numbers looked like a month before this incident to see if my suspicions would be confirmed. Because this mess could definitely result in a lawsuit or two.

Punkinsplice

An cermet and I talk shit about you
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Official propt list is anyone is thinking of following it:
View attachment 1584403
I'm still trying to find the right list for me, for the time being I'm planning on this one:
View attachment 1584439
I created a potential KF beauty parlor themed list on my profile page if anyone is interested in an informal fun version of Inktober that you can share only here on the farms. Is anyone interested in playing? I was going to just keep it on my pfp, but if there is a general interest, I could always make a thread. Please suggest prompts on my profile if you think of any better ones than what I came up with. I will credit you, of course.

behavioral swamp thang

preparing to TRANNYPORT in 3..2..1..
kiwifarms.net
I created a potential KF beauty parlor themed list on my profile page if anyone is interested in an informal fun version of Inktober that you can share only here on the farms. Is anyone interested in playing? I was going to just keep it on my pfp, but if there is a general interest, I could always make a thread. Please suggest prompts on my profile if you think of any better ones than what I came up with. I will credit you, of course.
I'm playing 100%

MerriedxReldnahc

World's Okay-est Proctologist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'd totally be down to join in!

Kuchipatchi

I beat my meatchi
kiwifarms.net
I'll be doing normal Inktober but I'll see if I can squeeze in some KFtober as well.

Edit: Maybe call the list "Farmtober" or something catchier.

Last edited:
Reactions: MerriedxReldnahc
Tags
None