Disaster Interesting clickbait, op-eds, fluff pieces and other smaller stories -

What should the prefix to this thread be?

• World

Votes: 84 17.9%
  • Science

Votes: 16 3.4%
  • Culture

Votes: 99 21.1%
  • Disaster

Votes: 271 57.7%

• Total voters

Jewelsmakerguy

(Cheesy 80s music intensifies)
kiwifarms.net
For fucking god's sake it's not even the only brown one. Also, chocolate is usually fucking brown you goddamn dolts! Big surprise, a UK company folded immediately to the slightest pressure. Stiff upper lip? Not so much anymore I guess.
Gee, I can't wait until they try to get the government to outlaw brown chocolate. Though knowing the UK, they'd probably comply.

Reactions: Unog

Gustav Schuchardt

kiwifarms.net
View attachment 719658

Felicity Huffman could be facing prison time of less than a year after pleading guilty for her alleged role in the college admissions case.
Everything We Know About the College Admissions Scam
Lou Shapiro, a state and federal criminal defense attorney in Los Angeles, tells Us Weekly that the 56-year-old actress may be sentenced to four to 10 months in prison under the guidelines considered by the U.S. Attorney’s Office. Shapiro also notes that Huffman’s lawyers will likely argue for zero prison time.

“In light of the fact that the prosecutors are requesting a relatively low amount of incarceration, it puts Huffman’s defense team in striking distance of a no-prison outcome,” Shapiro explains.

A date for Huffman’s plea hearing has yet to be scheduled.
Stars at Court
The Desperate Housewives alum was arrested last month after she allegedly made a “made a purported charitable contribution of $15,000” to boost her daughter Sofia’s SAT score, per court documents. Huffman spoke out about the scandal for the first time on Monday, April 8, after entering her plea.

“I am in full acceptance of my guilt, and with deep regret and shame over what I am done, I accept full responsibility for my actions and will accept the consequences that stem from those actions,” the statement read. “I am ashamed of the pain I have caused my daughter, my family, my friends, my colleagues and the educational community.”

The Sports Night alum added that Sofia, 18, “knew absolutely nothing” about her actions. “This transgression toward her and the public I will carry for the rest of my life,” she concluded. “My desire to help my daughter is no excuse to break the law or engage in dishonesty.”
Olivia Jade's Most Controversial Quotes About Her Education and Famous Parents
Huffman also shares daughter Georgia, 17, with her husband, William H. Macy. The Shameless star stood by his wife’s side after she turned herself in on March 12. She was subsequently released on a $250,000 bond.

The actor did not accompany his wife of more than 20 years to her court date on Wednesday, April 3. Huffman and fellow actress Lori Loughlin were among the 13 defendants in the Boston courtroom to hear the official charges against them. Loughlin and her husband, Mossimo Giannulli, have yet to enter a plea in the case.

The couple were accused of paying bribes of $500,000 to ensure that their daughters, Bella, 20, andOlivia Jade, 19, were admitted into USC. They face a maximum sentence of 20 years in federal prison, three years’ probation and a $250,000 fine.

Article with more specifics: https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/pictures/felicity-huffman-lori-loughlins-college-scam-everything-we-know/
Huffman is now only allowed to play villains on TV

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6903463/Netflix-shelves-Felicity-Huffman-motherhood-film-air-series-actress-nefarious-DA.html

Also her face is becoming looooonger in recent photos as she succumbs to Horseface Syndrome, no doubt exacerbated by her hypocrisy and duplicity.

Last edited:
Reactions: millais

Gustav Schuchardt

kiwifarms.net
The National Science Foundation Event Horizon Telescope project is just about to announce the first images of the event horizon of Sagittarius A*, the supermassive black hole at the centre of our galaxy

Edit : seems like they're only releasing pictures of the black hole at the centre of M87 which is much further away that Sag A* - 54,000,000 light years instead of a mere 26,000

https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2019/04/10/see-black-hole-first-time-images-event-horizon-telescope/?utm_term=.7d498c24260b

So it seems like the image of Sgr A* will be a bit sharper. Then again the M87 black hole is bigger and it seems like it balances out

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/black-hole-first-picture-event-horizon-telescope

The team has also determined the behemoth’s size — its diameter stretches 38 billion kilometers — and that the black hole spins clockwise. “M87 is a monster even by supermassive black hole standards,” Sera said.

EHT trained its sights on both M87’s black hole and Sagittarius A, the supermassive black hole at the center of the Milky Way. But, it turns out, it was easier to image M87’s monster. That black hole is 55 million light-years from Earth in the constellation Virgo, about 2,000 times as far as Sgr A. But it’s also about 1,000 times as massive as the Milky Way’s giant, which weighs the equivalent of roughly 4 million suns. That extra heft nearly balances out M87’s distance. “The size in the sky is pretty darn similar,” says EHT team member Feryal Özel.
Scott Manley has a screenshot of the paper showing the apparent sizes of the two objects, viewed from Earth. Sgr A* is about 47-50 micro arc seconds, and M87 is about 19-38.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrQZi02LKQY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrQZi02LKQY&t=2m41s

M87 on the left Sgr A* on the right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_GVbuddri8&t=4m19s

Last edited:

TheRedRanger

kiwifarms.net

Wreckage from a Japanese F-35 stealth fighter jet has been found, a day after it disappeared from radar over the Pacific Ocean.

The pilot of the plane, however, is still missing, Japanese military officials said.

Parts of the plane have been recovered during search operations at sea.

It is not known why the plane, which is less than a year old, lost contact and crashed.

"We have collected parts from the jet fighter's tail fin so we [believe] it crashed," Defence Minister Takeshi Iwaya told reporters.

The fighter jet went missing at 19:27pm (10:27 GMT) on Tuesday as it was flying 135km (84 miles) east of Misawa, a city in north-eastern Japan.

It lost contact about 30 minutes after taking off from the Misawa Air Base.

According to Mr Iwaya, the missing pilot had sent a signal to abort the mission. All communication with him was lost shortly after.

Rescue teams are continuing their search for the male pilot who is in his 40s, according to news site Kyodo.

No problems with the aircraft had previously been reported, according to Japan's public broadcaster NHK.

Japan has been deploying F-35s, which cost at least $90m (£68m), to replace its ageing F-4 fighter jet.

The country has now grounded its 12 remaining F-35 fighter jets at the Misawa base temporarily, said Mr Iwaya.

This is only the second time an F-35 has crashed since the jet began flying, according to Reuters.
A brand spanking new JASDF F-35 disappeared from radar during a training flight yesterday, and now it's been announced that wreckage has been found. Still no word on the pilot.

Reactions: millais and Unog
I'm a bit lazy so it's more easy to find a weirdo to say it for me. I wonder why the other posters don't give a fuck about this?
Eh, I enjoy complaining anyway, especially in increasingly over the top ways. So feel free to keep posting your various flavors of internet weirdos and ignore me, that's what most sane people do.

CWCissey

Charming Man
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-47892822

Kim Kardashian has revealed she has begun a four-year apprenticeship with a law firm in the US, with hopes of becoming a lawyer in 2022.
The reality TV star says she made the decision to pursue a legal career in 2018.
Last year, she met with President Donald Trump and successfully campaigned to have 63-year-old Alice Marie Johnson released from jail.
She says her experiences at The White House inspired her decision.
"The White House called me to advise to help change the system of clemency," she tells Vogue magazine in a new interview.
Clemency is when someone is pardoned from a crime they are accused of having committed and it is declared that they are not guilty.
In America, the President can grant clemency to anyone convicted under federal law.
"I'm sitting in the Roosevelt Room with, like, a judge who had sentenced criminals and a lot of really powerful people and I just sat there, like, Oh - I need to know more," Kim says.
"I would say what I had to say, about the human side and why this is so unfair. But I had attorneys with me who could back that up with all the facts of the case."

Media captionAlice Marie Johnson was released from jail after intervention from Kim
Kim says choosing to pick up a new career was something she had to think "long and hard" about but that she knew she always wanted to "do more".
"It's never one person who gets things done; it's always a collective of people, and I've always known my role, but I just felt like I wanted to be able to fight for people who have paid their dues to society," she says.
"I just felt like the system could be so different, and I wanted to fight to fix it, and if I knew more, I could do more."
Twitter post by @realDonaldTrump: Great meeting with @KimKardashian today, talked about prison reform and sentencing. Image Copyright @realDonaldTrump@REALDONALDTRUMP
Presentational white space

As part of her apprenticeship, Kim will need to do 18 hours of supervised study each week and will shadow two mentor lawyers - Jessica Jackson and Erin Haney.
Kim's work with grandmother Alice Marie Johnson secured her release from a 1996 life sentence for cocaine trafficking, when Donald Trump intervened.
He commuted her crime, this means her conviction still stands, but Alice had her sentence swapped for a lighter one.
She was immediately released because of time she'd already served.
In 2017, Kim was among a number of celebrities who spoke in support of Cyntoia Brown.
She was jailed for life in 2006 at the age of 16 for shooting dead a man she said solicited her for sex. Prosecutors said it was robbery.
Other stars including Rihanna, comedian Amy Schumer and NBA star LeBron James also supported her case.
Cyntoia was released earlier this year.
I think there maybe something to this ClownWorld thing...

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino