Disaster Interesting clickbait, op-eds, fluff pieces and other smaller stories -

What should the prefix to this thread be?

• World

Votes: 100 17.4%
  • Science

Votes: 21 3.7%
  • Culture

Votes: 121 21.0%
  • Disaster

Votes: 333 57.9%

• Total voters

BoingoTango

Sabat on a gayops
kiwifarms.net
Those poor pakistanis. Mean ole Indians always picking on them, embarrassing them. We should give them all of our tax dollars.

Tootsie Bear

kiwifarms.net
This whole ordeal reminds me of the meltdown people had a few years ago when Gal Gadot spoke about supporting her country Israel.
No matter what it is, there are people out there who are ready to chimp out and make a fool of themselves on camera. Countries like India and Israel are important allies to the United States. So it's expected for the media to point a finger at them and accuse them racist, murder and what not; all the while ignoring the starting evidence from other countries like Pakistan.

Lucille Bluth

kiwifarms.net
No matter what it is, there are people out there who are ready to chimp out and make a fool of themselves on camera. Countries like India and Israel are important allies to the United States. So it's expected for the media to point a finger at them and accuse them racist, murder and what not; all the while ignoring the starting evidence from other countries like Pakistan.
Yep. In this whole dilemma “they” seem to continently forget that Pakistan (I believe) was the one who invaded Kashmir and on a tangent,, they weren’t so kind To their cousins down in Bangladesh.

Elwood P. Dowd

I am the lizard king. I can do ... anything.
kiwifarms.net

Drinking bleach will not cure cancer or autism, FDA warns
AUGUST 12, 2019

Federal regulators issued a warning Monday urging people not to drink a chlorine dioxide solution that is often promoted online as a remedy for autism, HIV/AIDS, cancer and other conditions.

The products — known as Miracle Mineral Solution, MMS and Chlorine Dioxide Protocol among other monikers — have not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration and can have life-threatening side effects, the department said in a news release.
“Ingesting these products is the same as drinking bleach,” said FDA acting Commissioner Ned Sharpless, according to the release. “Consumers should not use these products, and parents should not give these products to their children for any reason.”

This is not the first time the department has issued such warnings.

In 2010, the FDA compared the solution to industrial bleach and described consumer injuries ranging from severe nausea and vomiting to low blood pressure caused by dehydration.

“Consumers who have MMS should stop using it immediately and throw it away,” the department warned.
But an NBC News investigation published in June found that social media sites had amplified the claims of people who believe the solution is a miracle cure.

Poison control centers have managed more than 16,000 related cases over the last five years. Fifty of them were life threatening; in eight instances people died, according to data from the American Association of Poison Control Centers.

The products were first promoted 20 years ago as a remedy to nearly every ailment by a former Scientologist who later founded a church of “health and healing” called Genesis II.

A former real estate agent from Chicago, Kerri Rivera, later suggested the solution could cure autism.
Rivera claims to have sold tens of thousands of copies of a book she wrote promoting a “chlorine dioxide protocol” — though Amazon banned the title earlier this year. Amid public pressure, YouTube also deleted accounts that had thousands of subscribers that published videos with millions of views.

The NBC News investigation found that local authorities were hesitant to intervene in the case of a mother who routinely dosed her children with the solution and posted videos of the process online.

A spokesman for the Lenexa Police Department, in Kansas, said that officers closed the investigation after determining that chlorine dioxide isn’t “a super dangerous poison.”

Image: Brandy Zadrozny

• Horrifying
Reactions: Cloacan
Wait, are we combining Poe's and Godwin's into one post now?
No, err well maybe. I guess it depends on whether you are wondering if I was being sarcastic, which I wasn't.

The Godwin of "Godwin's law" said after Trump it was ok to call people Nazis. Now he's trying to dunk on someone calling him Hitler, due to his own "law" which he renounced due to TDS.

yahooligan

web 1.0 newfag
kiwifarms.net
No, err well maybe. I guess it depends on whether you are wondering if I was being sarcastic, which I wasn't.

The Godwin of "Godwin's law" said after Trump it was ok to call people Nazis. Now he's trying to dunk on someone calling him Hitler, due to his own "law" which he renounced due to TDS.
Ahh, I hadn't heard that about him, makes more sense now. I thought we had some real meta 4D shit going on there for a moment.

• Thunk-Provoking

greengrilledcheese

Free, White, and 21
kiwifarms.net
Cops: Man sent woman 10,000 texts in 12 days, some sexually explicit and threatening
https://www.ohio.com/zz/news/20190813/cops-man-sent-woman-10000-texts-in-12-days-some-sexually-explicit-and-threatening (http://archive.fo/6LYtk)
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — “You and I, We die together,” read just one of the thousands of texts that investigators say Nicholas C. Nelson sent to a female acquaintance over a 12-day period in April.

The woman told a Broward Sheriff’s detective that she knows Nelson, 48, of Parkland, through a close friend, but had rarely ever spoken with him and had only seen him in person several times.

The flood of texts — approximately 10,0000 — began arriving on April 5, the woman told investigators and the volume escalated after she told her friend about the messages —hoping to deter Nelson.

According to an arrest affidavit, which provides no known reason for the messages, some of the other texts read:

“The only man you’ll ever be with again is me.”

“Her & I can drive tanks around America & blow up churches or whatever we want & you could protect us.”

“I’m not suicidal, not even in the least” But I’d rather die then (sic) spend time in jail.”

Nelson’s actions went further than just text messages, according to detectives. On April 13, Nelson again sent the woman a threat and also left clothes in the front yard of the home of her relatives.

And, according to the arrest affidavit, on April 17 Nelson sent the woman a picture of what appears to be an airport parking lot ticket from an unknown airport with the caption, “I’m going to start blowing up planes to prove my point.”

Nelson is charged with aggravated stalking, writing intimidating and threatening messages and is being held in an aggravating stalking case out of Palm Beach County that court officials said involves a different victim. Details about that case were not immediately available.

Nelson was taken into custody out of state and booked into Broward’s jail Sunday on preliminary bonds totaling $500,000 for the stalking and threat charges but with a no bond hold because of the Palm Beach County case.

“I feel my bond is very high. I don’t feel it should be that high,” Nelson told Broward Judge Jackie Powell during a Monday afternoon court appearance.

“I was picked up in Georgia on my way back to Florida. I spent 115 days on a hold in Georgia, which is a record. I was picked up on April 18th and was brought here yesterday and I would ask mercy from the court in relation to my bond.”

Powell kept Nelson’s bond in place.

“Based on the allegations, this court does believe there is cause for concern,” she said.
How much meth do you have to smoke/IV to send a message every two minutes for 12 days straight?

theshep

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Only for the headline.

Illegal pig semen racket busted, with WA pig farmers jailed
Two West Australian pig farmers, involved in the smuggling of Danish pig semen hidden in shampoo bottles, have been jailed.
WA pork producer and managing director at GD Pork Torben Soerensen has been sentenced to three years in prison, and production manager, Henning Laue sentenced to two years' jail, after pleading guilty to multiple charges of aiding the illegal importation of pig semen over several years.
Soerensen will be eligible for release after 18 months good behaviour, and Laue after eight months.
GD Pork has been fined $500,000, however the company is currently in liquidation.

Semen hidden in shampoo bottles
In sentencing,the Perth District Court heard Soerensen and Laue arranged for semen collected from Danish boars and smuggled it into Australia in passenger luggage, to be used for artificial insemination at a Pinjarra piggery.
As many as 199 sows were inseminated with the illegally imported semen, which was trafficked into Australia by Danish nationals and major shareholders in GD Pork.
Soerensen's lawyer said his actions were "stupid" and, as sole proprietor of GD Pork, he had been the "front man" of a grand scheme carried out by Danish investors.
The court heard the architects of the systematic illegal importations were the major investors in GD Pork's parent company, Pork Australia ApS, all of which are based in Denmark and beyond the reach of Australian laws.
The court also heard the criminal scheme operated between 2009 and 2017 and the majority of importations were carried out by Pork Australia ApS shareholder and Danish pork producer, Henrik Enderlein.
If the Danish men who actually transported the semen were in court, Judge Troy Sweeney said she would have given them longer sentences.
Soerensen became actively involved in the illegal operation from 2012 and, in some instances, carried out the artificial insemination at a breeding facility in Pinjarra.
In her sentencing statement, Judge Sweeney said Soerensen and Laue were "influenced to offend" by "persuasive" overseas investors.
However, she said the convicted men's role in the breaches of Commonwealth biosecurity and quarantine laws were "too serious, too blatant, and too sustained" to ignore.
The court heard Laue, a Danish national, had advised on hiding the semen in shampoo and hand lotion bottles in a bid to avoid questioning and detection by quarantine officials.
Prosecutor Jackie Stewart said it was "fanciful" to suggest Laue, who had moved to WA from Denmark to work for GD Pork in early 2014, was initially unaware of the semen racket.
The court heard Soerensen intended to concoct stories to tell the broader industry in case their competitive advantaged was noticed.
Following sentencing, Australian Pork Limited chief executive Margo Andrae described the illegal importation of semen as a "shocking violation of trust".
"The actions of this business threatened to completely undermine Australia's rigorous biosecurity measures and compromised the integrity, safety and value of Australian food production," Ms Andrae said.
Special merchandise
Since 1995, no permit to import pig genetics has been granted because of the biosecurity risk.
Danish pig genetics are more fertile and productive than Australian genetics, with Danish sows averaging 32 weaned piglets per year, compared to the Australian average of 26 piglets per year.
Authorities were tipped off about the semen syndicate in February 2017.
The men were then charged following an investigation by the Agriculture Department that uncovered a string of emails detailing plans for the delivery of "special semen" or "special merchandise".
Investigators confirmed the presence of illegal genetics after seizing hair samples from 100 pigs, and verifying their genetics with the Pig Research Centre in Denmark.
One of the main biosecurity concerns was the potential spread of the debilitating viral disease Porcine Reproductive and Respiratory Syndrome, which has since not been detected on any of GD Pork's farms.
The sentence comes amid fears African Swine Fever, which has led to the deaths of hundreds of millions of pigs in China, could jeopardise Australia's $5.3 billion pork industry, and an outbreak of Foot and Mouth Disease would cost Australia's animal industries $50 billion.
The illegal semen spawned more than 2,000 piglets in Australia.
Testing by the Agriculture Department has found no traces of exotic disease.
GD Pork, which had piggeries at Kojunup, Pinjarra and Australind, was considered one of WA's largest pork producers before Danish investors withdrew their investment soon after the charges were laid.
In September 2018, GD Pork went into administration and later, liquidation.
It was acquired by Westpork in January.
Westpork now holds a 45 per cent share of WA's pig producing market.
It is understood the pigs with the Danish genetics are not required to be slaughtered as they were found to be free of exotic illnesses.

• Horrifying

pwnest injun

Management of Savagery
kiwifarms.net
Here's something for the close-watchers
Multiple European governments are offering negative interest rates on bonds
Interest rates on government bonds are nearing record lows. Here’s why
By Allison SchragerAugust 10, 2019
The threat of trade war sparked a stampede to safe assets this week, sending the 10-year US Treasury bond yield to a near record low. But what’s happening to bonds reflects something bigger than the latest news. Rates are low in other countries too—extremely low. In Europe the entire German bond curve is in negative territory and more than $13 trillion worth of bonds are offering negative rates—that is, bond holders pay to own the security. Nor is this a new development: Bond yields in developed markets have been trending down for the last 20 years.

Years ago such low rates were unthinkable. Who would pay to lend someone money? In the late 1990s the US government ran a surplus and rates were nearly 6%, now the deficit is expected to top $1 trillion and the 10-year yield is 1.5%. Fortunes have been lost betting rates will go back up, and yet they keep going down. Will it last and how did we get here?
Why are rates so low?
Interest rates are market prices, which means they are a function of the supply and demand of bonds. There is plenty of supply—the US is running a many-trillion dollar debt and needs to sell bonds to pay for it—but not enough to satisfy all the demand for its debt at higher interest rates. The demand is driven by an insatiable desire for low-risk assets. Bonds are generally seen as a less risky asset than stocks. Unlike most other assets, they offer certain payments for a fixed amount of time. Even if the company or country that issued the bond goes bust, bond holders are often still paid something. Of course, some countries and companies are risker than others. The riskier a bond is, the more it normally pays, since investors are compensated for taking risk.
And bonds have never been less risky. Traditionally, even bonds from countries with a low chance of default contained some amount of risk because there was a risk of inflation or that bond prices would change. Since rates and inflation have been low and steady, neither of these factors are seen as likely, which means investors will buy bonds with lower yields. A low-risk asset is especially attractive when markets feel uncertain, like now when investors fear either a recession or a trade war that will crash the stock market. Even negative rates that are locked in can be more compelling than the alternative.
Further, certain institutions, like pension funds or banks, often are required by statute or their charter to buy bonds, no matter the rate. For example German pension funds can only invest 35% of their assets in risky securities, and have traditionally held mostly bonds. Regulation also encourages banks to hold bonds on their balance sheet because it is considered a safe asset.
Who is buying all these bonds?
A closer look at who makes up this demand can tell us where bonds are headed and how we got here.
In the US the biggest buyer of US government bonds is the US government. For example, when Social Security takes in more in taxes than it pays in benefits, all that excess revenue is invested in special US bonds not available to the public but sold based on market prices. Nearly all government bond buyers are agencies associated with retirement: Social Security, the Medicare trust fund, military pensions, and federal retirement programs, represent almost 90% of bonds bought by the US government. In 2018, almost 26% of the America’s $21 trillion debt was intra-government lending. Some pundits argue the government lending money to itself does not count as debt, but is merely an accounting maneuver. Technically that may be correct, but these bonds do represent real debt, the payments promised to future retirees in exchange for taxes or pension contributions today. The Social Security and Medicare trust fund assets don’t even cover what’s been promised to future retirees, so in fact the debt owed to Social Security and Medicare understates what the government truly owes to retirees. In all, obligations to American retirees makes up that largest share of government loans.
The figure below summarizes who buys what, by showing the percentage of debt each type of buyer owns:

Individual savers (who own mutual funds and saving bonds) and the Fed (who expanded their balance sheets during the financial crisis) remain a fairly small buyers of bonds. The biggest buyers are the government’s retirement obligations and foreign buyers which includes foreign governments and corporations. One reason bonds yields have been trending down is almost all bond buyers have been buying more over the years, especially foreign investors. The figure below plots bond holdings over the last 25 years by type of buyer.

What does it mean for you?
Whether you benefit from low rates depends if you are a saver or borrower. Low rates tend to be bad for retirees who usually own more bonds and face higher annuity prices. Financing retirement spending while avoiding risk has become incredibly expensive. Baby boomers may have benefited from years of economic growth and a rising stock market, but low rates makes their retirement much more expensive. Meanwhile borrowers, holders of student debt, and mortgages face lower borrowing costs. Regardless if they are retiring or just starting out, all savers will get a lower return on their investments, or be compelled to take on more risk to produce a higher return. How households will respond to more risk is uncertain, and if stock prices fall it could mean more economic instability. Alternatively, a lower cost of capital can increase investment and spur more growth, which benefits everyone.
Will it last?
Historically, financial economists assumed bond yields revert to the mean, or, in other words, that they hover around a long-term average and what goes down (or up) must eventually return to normal. But there are reasons to think rates may be lower for the foreseeable future. In a more global world there will be more demand among foreign buyers of US debt, buying debt stabilizes (or lowers) their currency and buying foreign bonds can hedge risk. Bond yields will also be lower because an aging population means more savers and bond buyers. If low, stable inflation persists, rates will also be lower than their historical averages when rates had to compensate investors for higher inflation.
But things could change. Asian investors are looking closer to home for investment. If there’s less trade with western countries, they’ll have less need to buy our debt. The US government will also be buying less debt in the future—starting next year Social Security benefits will exceed tax revenue, meaning the government will not buy so much of its own debt as the trust fund is expected to start shrink to zero by 2035. This all mean the two biggest buyers of US debt will probably be buying less in the future. Meanwhile, if the government does not reform entitlements or starts offering new ones like Medicare For All, it will be issuing even more debt in the future. More supply and less demand could mean rates just might rise again.
So, what does this mean? It means that you give them a dollar today and they give you $0.98 in ten years. Essentially it means that savings are a total waste and that these countries have essentially gone into default on their debts. The following countries are currently fucked: Denmark, Sweeden, and Switzerland. They're deflating currency and paying people to take out loans. Looks like Europe's going to melt down real soon, haha, damn! Global market crash toot toooot!

Rancid Flid

Wah di bumboclaat ?
kiwifarms.net
Outrage in New Zealand after Christchurch 'mosque shooter' sends a 'call to arms' letter from his prison cell to 4chan

The man accused of killing 51 people at two Christchurch mosques was allowed to send a hand-written letter from his prison cell to a supporter.
New Zealand officials apologised for letting Brenton Tarrant, 28, to send the letter warning of a 'great conflict'.
The six-page 'call to arms' was posted this week on the website 4chan, a notorious forum where white supremacists post their views.
1565791415752.png
:cunningpepe:

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino