Disaster Interesting clickbait, op-eds, fluff pieces and other smaller stories -

What should the prefix to this thread be?

• World

Votes: 107 17.0%
  • Science

Votes: 21 3.3%
  • Culture

Votes: 131 20.8%
  • Disaster

Votes: 370 58.8%

• Total voters

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
If he's saying that, he should realize that the saying can easily be turned against him just as well.
He's one of the Lizard People. Jobs like editor-in-chief of Time Magazine are reserved for people in that fruity little club (that you are not in and never will be), and while most SJW types are the kind of plebs who get caught in laws like this, guys like this never do. Laws aren't for guys like this. Islands like Epstein's are for guys like this.

DragoonSierra

kiwifarms.net
I have a friend who is vegetarian (mostly for sustainability and resource use reasons and he really likes it. That said that shit is so processed that it's almost definitely worse for you than a regular burger.
I must say thats the only good reason to go vegetarian. The amount of feed and water it takes to raise meat could feed at least 10 times as many people.

Im not sure the Impossible Burger is sustainable or a good use of resources. probably better than beef tho. And it does taste good.

AltisticRight

Matt Jarbo is not the father.
kiwifarms.net
Speaking of vegans & burgers, is the Impossible Whopper any good? Haven't tried it, yet; but I can't help but notice that it's skinnier than the original.
Bland. Very unhealthy too.
Try those mushroom burgers or fake vegan fish burgers, those actually taste good.

Vegan or vegetarianism doesn't imply healthiness. Potato chips and soft drinks are vegan, so are vegan doughnuts and ice cream, try having a diet on that. I love how a vegetarian turned carnivore will try to justify their diet, lol. Veg types need iron and B12 supplements. Low iron means lower sperm count and a softer boner, the comparison between vegans and pussies is valid.

Reactions: Alec Benson Leary

COOW

kiwifarms.net
It's a pity her previous children and to a lesser extent her third child will be intellectually stunted because of her self-inflicted nutritional deficiencies (anemia is just the tip of the iceberg). Women have too much autonomy for their own damn good. A man would never put the well-being of pigs and cattle above that of his own progeny.

Let's find out what inspired her to take up meat abstinence.
Like thousands of others, she had flicked through 'Animal Liberation' -- a ground-breaking book written by Australian philosopher (((Peter Singer))) in the 1970s, and was disturbed by the revelations.
Just as suspected, an oven dodger. Every modern poison can be traced back to these pernicious people. Women's liberation and universal suffrage was a huge victory for the Jews. They can fill her silly little head with all manner of romantic ideas and the result is #RefugeesWelcome and the decay of Western civilization.

Übertroon

Gotta go fast
kiwifarms.net
Just as suspected, an oven dodger. Every modern poison can be traced back to these pernicious people. Women's liberation and universal suffrage was a huge victory for the Jews. They can fill her silly little head with all manner of romantic ideas and the result is #RefugeesWelcome and the decay of Western civilization.
Eine kleine wurzellose internationale Clique

Alec Benson Leary

Creator of Asperchu
Christorical Figure
kiwifarms.net
I'm glad she wants to do her part to eliminate shitty factory farming, and I'm really glad she gave a nice pithy "fuck you" to the woke veganites who think we all need to be eating tofu-based insects or the world will die conveniently the day before the next election, but are we glossing over the fact that a 49yo woman barbed a likely-autistic fetus out of her bronze-age womb? This child might be the next Chris and we have to prepare.

LordofTendons

OW MAI LAIG
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A screenshot of this guy's twitter post seems to be gaining traction on Facebook. He calls his blog MAP Accuracy and it's so clean and non-offensive. It could be a blog about blank notebooks but it's about PEDOS AND HOW FUCKING NORMAL THEY ARE. If you'll excuse me, I need to go out to the garage and break something.

The "P" Word (Why Journalists Need to Stop Conflating "Pedophile" With "Sex Offender")

As a journalist, you know that you would never think of using the "N" word to describe a black person in a story you are working on. Did you ever think that using "pedophile" to describe a sex offender might have the same effect?

Don’t get me wrong: I get it. I know that word sells. It turns what would possibly be a horrific story of child sex abuse into something that potentially people will want to click on, read, or watch so they can direct the hatred they have inside of them towards what is a widely acceptable form of disgust.

But did you ever take a moment to think that, by using that word without knowing for a fact that the person who offended was actually attracted to children, you might actually be contributing to more sexual abuse against children?

Let me explain.

I will use the example I started with. If you were reporting on a crime committed by someone of color, you know that you would get reprimanded pretty quickly if you would use a derogatory term to describe that person -- and for good reason. Using those terms lumps people together into categories and DE-humanizes them.

I know I don’t I need to tell you that, yet you still feel it’s okay to do that to pedophiles. Why? Because they are all sex offenders and it doesn’t matter? That is the same thing as saying that all people of color will be criminals.

Think of that young person of an minority race having to read day in and day out that they are nothing but criminals. Eventually, they would start to believe that and internalize it. "If that is what they think of me, then what is the point? I might as well be what they say I am."

I am not saying that, if you don’t stop conflating pedophilia with sex offending, all pedophiles will go on and abuse because they can’t see any other way. I am more pleading with you to take into consideration that some might.

Pedophilia is the unwanted attraction to prepubescent children. That. Is. All.

Attraction Does Not Equal Action.

You can be a pedophile and never abuse a child, and you can also abuse a child and not be attracted to children.

Imagine waking up in a world where heterosexuality was not the norm. Imagine if you acted on your attraction, you know that you would ruin a life so you purposely choose not to act.

Now imagine that anytime someone did choose to act on that attraction, they were automatically grouped with people like you who chose the moral high ground? How would you feel? How would you react?

I myself am “minor-attracted” and have been since I entered puberty -- perhaps even earlier. I am 41 years old; I have been dealing with the hatred and disgust that is thrown at people like me for around 29 years. Still, through all those years I still have decided that I do not want to harm a child.

By now I have almost become numb to it all, but I am writing this to play to your better natures for the next generation of people born with this attraction. I’m asking you to think of them.

What if someone in your immediate circle is a pedophile? What if that person is your child? Would you not want to protect them from hearing or seeing this type of hatred thrown at them? Would you not be calling your news station or local paper, telling them they need to get it right?

I am asking you to do your research like you were trained to do. There are many resources out there (such as this site) that will help you understand the difference between those who have this attraction and those who actually abuse.

We have a non-exhaustive list of Resources and Proper Terminology for you to use without having to even go anywhere else. I am also more than willing to answer any of your questions you might have: just fill out the form on “Contact Us”.

Let me end with this: the whole reason I chose the title of this post is that I feel that people have stolen the word “Pedophile” from the people who actually are that. They have taken something and made it mean something else.

I have told numerous people that, when talking to someone that it is safe to discuss my attraction with, I can’t even bring myself to say that I am a pedophile without thinking that I am actually saying I am offender.

I know I am NOT AN OFFENDER and don’t ever want to be, so shouldn’t it be OK for me to be able to use a word to describe part of myself without feeling like I am?

map.jpg

• Islamic Content
Reactions: greengrilledcheese

murgatroid

kiwifarms.net
Speaking of the impossible whopper, The New York Times did a taste test of a bunch of modern plant based burgers.

Personally, I've always loved "Morningstar Grillers Prime" veggie burgers. Not because they taste like real hamburgers, I think they taste great as something unique in their own right. Especially when you add the usual burgers fixings like lettuce tomato onion etc. And I'm not a vegetarian or vegan.

How Do the New Plant-Based Burgers Stack Up? We Taste-Tested Them
The new generation of veggie burgers aims to replace the beefy original with fake meat or fresher vegetables. To find out how well they do, we ran a blind tasting of six top contenders.
By Julia Moskin Oct. 22 2019

Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 8.20.46 PM.png

The Impossible Burger replicates the beefy look and taste of a traditional hamburger. Credit...CreditCon Poulos for The New York Times. Food Stylist: Simon Andrews.

In just two years, food technology has moved consumers from browsing for wan “veggie patties” in the frozen aisle to selecting fresh “plant-based burgers” sold next to the ground beef.

Behind the scenes at the supermarket, giant battles are being waged: Meat producers are suing to have the words “meat” and “burger” restricted to their own products. Makers of meat alternatives like Beyond Meat and Impossible Foods are vying to capture the global fast-food market, as big players like Tyson and Perdue join the fray. Environmental and food scientists are insisting that we eat more plants and less processed food. Many vegetarians and vegans say the goal is to break the habit of eating meat, not feed it with surrogates.

“I would still prefer to eat something that’s not lab-grown,” said Isa Chandra Moskowitz, the chef at the vegan restaurant Modern Love in Omaha, where her own burger is the most popular dish on the menu. “But it’s better for people and for the planet to eat one of those burgers instead of meat every day, if that’s what they are going to do anyway.”

The new refrigerator-case “meat” products already comprise one of the fastest-growing segments of the food industry.

Some are proudly high-tech, assembled from an array of starches, fats, salts, sweeteners and synthetic umami-rich proteins. They are made possible by new technologies that, for example, whip coconut oil and cocoa butter into tiny globules of white fat that give the Beyond Burger the marbled appearance of ground beef.

Others are resolutely simple, based on whole grains and vegetables, and reverse-engineered with ingredients like yeast extract and barley malt to be crustier, browner and juicier than their frozen veggie-burger predecessors. (Some consumers are turning away from those familiar products, not only because of the taste, but because they are most often made with highly processed ingredients.)

But how do all the newcomers perform at the table?

The Times restaurant critic Pete Wells, our cooking columnist Melissa Clark and I lined up both kinds of new vegan burgers for a blind tasting of six national brands. Though many people have already tasted these burgers in restaurants, we wanted to replicate the experience of a home cook. (To that end, Melissa and I roped in our daughters: my 12-year-old vegetarian and her 11-year-old burger aficionado.)

Each burger was seared with a teaspoon of canola oil in a hot skillet, and served in a potato bun. We first tasted them plain, then loaded with our favorites among the classic toppings: ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, pickles and American cheese. Here are the results, on a rating scale of one to five stars.

Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 8.23.00 PM.png

Evan Sung for The New York Times

1. Impossible Burger
★★★★½

Maker Impossible Foods, Redwood City, Calif.

Slogan “Made From Plants For People Who Love Meat”

Selling points Vegan, gluten-free.

Price $8.99 for a 12-ounce package.
Tasting notes “The most like a beef burger by far,” was my first scribbled note. Everyone liked its crisp edges, and Pete noted its “brawny flavor.” My daughter was convinced it was a real ground beef patty, slipped in to confuse us. The only one of the six contenders that includes genetically modified ingredients, the Impossible Burger contains a compound (soy leghemoglobin) created and manufactured by the company from plant hemoglobins; it quite successfully replicates the “bloody” look and taste of a rare burger. Melissa deemed it “charred in a good way,” but, like most plant-based burgers, it became rather dried out before we finished eating.
Ingredients Water, soy protein concentrate, coconut oil, sunflower oil, natural flavors, 2 percent or less of: potato protein, methylcellulose, yeast extract, cultured dextrose, food starch-modified, soy leghemoglobin, salt, soy protein isolate, mixed tocopherols (vitamin E), zinc gluconate, thiamine hydrochloride (vitamin B1), sodium ascorbate (vitamin C), niacin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin B12.
Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 8.24.12 PM.png

2. Beyond Burger
★★★★
Maker Beyond Meat, El Segundo, Calif.
Slogan “Go Beyond”
Selling points Vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, non-G.M.O.
Price $5.99 for two four-ounce patties.
Tasting notes The Beyond Burger was “juicy with a convincing texture,” per Melissa, who also commended its “roundness, with lots of umami.” Her daughter identified a faint but pleasing smoky flavor, reminiscent of barbecue-flavored potato chips. I liked its texture: crumbly but not dry, as a burger should be. This burger was the most visually similar to one made of ground beef, evenly marbled with white fat (made from coconut oil and cocoa butter) and oozing a bit of red juice, from beets. Over all, Pete said, a “real beefy” experience.
Ingredients Water, pea protein isolate, expeller-pressed canola oil, refined coconut oil, rice protein, natural flavors, cocoa butter, mung bean protein, methylcellulose, potato starch, apple extract, salt, potassium chloride, vinegar, lemon juice concentrate, sunflower lecithin, pomegranate fruit powder, beet juice extract (for color).

Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 8.25.09 PM.png

3. Lightlife Burger
★★★

Maker Lightlife/Greenleaf Foods, Toronto

Slogan “Food That Shines”

Selling points Vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, non-G.M.O.

Price $5.99 for two four-ounce patties.

Tasting notes “Warm and spicy” with a “crisp exterior” according to Melissa, the Lightlife burger is a new offering from a company that has been making burgers and other meat substitutes from tempeh (a fermented soy product with a sturdier texture than tofu) for decades. That’s probably why it nailed the “firm and chewy texture” that I found a little bready, but “not worse than most fast-food burgers.” “Pretty good when loaded up” was Pete’s final verdict.

Ingredients Water, pea protein, expeller-pressed canola oil, modified cornstarch, modified cellulose, yeast extract, virgin coconut oil, sea salt, natural flavor, beet powder (for color), ascorbic acid (to promote color retention), onion extract, onion powder, garlic powder.
Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 8.26.30 PM.png

4. Uncut Burger
★★★

Maker Before the Butcher, San Diego

Slogan “Meaty but Meatless”

Selling points Vegan, gluten-free, non-G.M.O.

Price $5.49 for two four-ounce patties, available later this year.

Tasting notes The Uncut Burger, so named by the manufacturer to imply the opposite of a cut of meat, actually rated among the meatiest of the bunch. I was impressed by its slightly chunky texture, “like good coarse-ground beef,” but Melissa felt it made the burger fall apart “like wet cardboard.” The taste seemed “bacony” to Pete, perhaps because of the “grill flavor” and “smoke flavor” listed in the formula. (To food manufacturers, they are not quite the same thing: one is intended to taste of charring, the other of wood smoke.)

Ingredients Water, soy protein concentrate, expeller-pressed canola oil, refined coconut oil, isolated soy protein, methylcellulose, yeast extract (yeast extract, salt, natural flavor), caramel color, natural flavor (yeast extract, maltodextrin, salt, natural flavors, medium chain triglycerides, acetic acid, grill flavor [from sunflower oil], smoke flavor), beet juice powder (maltodextrin, beet juice extract, citric acid), natural red color (glycerin, beet juice, annatto), citric acid.

Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 8.28.07 PM.png

5. FieldBurger
★★½

Maker Field Roast, Seattle

Slogan “Plant-Based Artisanal Meats”

Selling points Vegan, soy-free, non-G.M.O.

Price About $6 for four 3.25-ounce patties.

Tasting notes Not much like meat, but still “much better than the classic” frozen vegetarian patties, to my mind, and the consensus choice for a good vegetable burger (rather than a meat replica). Tasters liked its “vegetal” notes, a reflection of the onions, celery and three different forms of mushroom — fresh, dried and powdered — on the ingredients list. There was some crispness to like in the crust, according to Pete, but the bready interior (it contains gluten) was not popular. “Maybe this burger would do better without a bun?” he asked.

Ingredients Vital wheat gluten, filtered water, organic expeller-pressed palm fruit oil, barley, garlic, expeller-pressed safflower oil, onions, tomato paste, celery, carrots, naturally flavored yeast extract, onion powder, mushrooms, barley malt, sea salt, spices, carrageenan (Irish moss sea vegetable extract), celery seed, balsamic vinegar, black pepper, shiitake mushrooms, porcini mushroom powder, yellow pea flour.

Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 8.28.54 PM.png

6. Sweet Earth Fresh Veggie Burger
★★½
Maker Sweet Earth Foods, Moss Landing, Calif.
Slogan “Exotic by Nature, Conscious by Choice”
Selling points Vegan, soy-free, non-G.M.O.

Price About $4.25 for two four-ounce patties.

Tasting notes This burger is sold only in flavors; I chose Mediterranean as the most neutral. Tasters liked the familiar profile of what Melissa declared “the burger for people who love falafel,” made mostly from chickpeas and bulked out with mushrooms and gluten. (Called “vital wheat gluten” on ingredient lists, it is a concentrated formulation of wheat gluten, commonly added to bread to make it lighter and chewier, and the main ingredient in seitan.) The burger wasn’t meaty, but had “nutty, toasted grain” notes that I liked from brown rice, and whiffs of spices like cumin and ginger. This burger is a longtime market leader, and Sweet Earth was recently acquired by Nestlé USA on the strength of it; the company is now introducing a new plant-meat contender called the Awesome Burger.

Ingredients Garbanzo beans, mushroom, vital wheat gluten, green peas, kale, water, bulgur wheat, barley, bell peppers, carrot, quinoa, extra-virgin olive oil, red onion, celery, flax seed, cilantro, garlic, nutritional yeast, granulated garlic, sea salt, ginger, granulated onion, lime juice concentrate, cumin, canola oil, oregano.

Correction: Oct. 22, 2019
An earlier version of this article misstated the manufacturers of the Lightlife and Sweet Earth burgers. The Lightlife burger is made by Lightlife/Greenleaf Foods in Toronto, not Lightlife in Turners Falls, Mass. The Sweet Earth burger is made by Sweet Earth Foods in Moss Landing, Calif., not Sweet Earth/Greenleaf Foods in Toronto. The article also misstated Sweet Earth’s slogan. It is “Exotic by Nature, Conscious by Choice,” not “Enlightened Foods.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/22/dining/veggie-burger-taste-test.html

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I must say thats the only good reason to go vegetarian. The amount of feed and water it takes to raise meat could feed at least 10 times as many people.

Im not sure the Impossible Burger is sustainable or a good use of resources. probably better than beef tho. And it does taste good.
There is an oversupply of food production in the world relative to global population. The problem of hunger today stems from poor distribution of the food surplus.

I think the stronger environmental argument is from the cow methane emissions and the slash-and-burn deforestation of South American jungle to create more grazing land for cows destined for the Chinese market

Reactions: IAmNotAlpharius

3119967d0c

رنج آمریکایی ها
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Extremely funny story from the Australian media about a guy called Gable Tostee today. Tostee famously was charged with murder after a half-Filipino woman he picked up on Tinder fell to her death while trying to climb down from his 14th story balcony after he locked her out there when a night of drinking and sex escalated into a fight. He's not the most pleasant character (although, he's the bodybuilding.com absolute unit kind of douche not the incels.is or /r9k type), but now Australian feminists and the media are working together to help make sure he gets laid more often, by reposting his Tinder profile on Twitter and Facebook.

1572576682823.png

1572576537769.png
1572576693436.png

1572576566403.png

1572576616540.png
1572576870855.png

Anyway, because he wasn't getting enough attention or something, local Melbourne media has been giving him interviews so he can get his profile out there. Absolute geniuses.
Gable Tostee claims he is a victim of a “harassment/hate” campaign and intends to pursue civil and criminal cases against feminist groups.

Tostee, who changed his name to Eric Thomas in 2015, has reported a Facebook group, called Mad F---ing Witches, to police after they posted screenshots of his new Tinder profile.

The post quickly gathered steam and was shared to a number of groups across social media.

Tostee is furious at being back in the spotlight, lashing the barrage of posts and encouraging his friends to report any page that shared it.

He was acquitted of the manslaughter and murder of New Zealand woman Warriena Wright after she plunged from a 14th floor balcony on the Gold Coast in 2014.

The pair had been on a Tinder date and had returned to the balcony when the pair became involved in an altercation.

“I’ve never heard of a harassment campaign this big against a private individual,” he told ABC Melbourne radio this morning of the Facebook group.

“I consider it to be a hate/harassment campaign. I was acquitted in a court of law and they don’t know the facts.

“They have total disregard for the rule of law, their opinions are not rational.

“I intend to pursue defamation against those who have wrongly accused me. Not only defamation as a civil matter, but a criminal matter.”

Tostee says he “ethically” shouldn’t need to tell anyone about his past.

“The media created this imaginary character, anyone who knows me will tell you that is completely fictional,” Tostee told ABC Melbourne.

Tostee said it was pure coincidence he change his name to Eric Thomas around the same time he was in court.

“I haven’t tried to cover it up. I always intended to change my name because I didn’t like the old name,” he said.

“It was a weird name, I always intended to change it and just happened to do that in early 2015.”

Tostee said when Ms Wright fell to her death it was the “worst night of my entire life”.

“I feel sad as hell. It was absolutely traumatic, nobody should lose their life in a situation like that. I’m sad to this day about that,” he said.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/gable-tostee-not-backing-down-on-pursuing-haters-for-defamation/news-story/fad1dd475d907c1f84199209fc7b702f

Ndnd

Would you like some human with your salt?
kiwifarms.net
Cat attack: Moscow man faces five years in jail
A man is facing up to five years in prison in Moscow for allegedly using a cat as a weapon to attack a police officer, Russian media report.

The suspect, named as Gennady Shcherbakov, reportedly shook and threw the feline when approached by police at an apartment block in the city.

The officer, who was responding to noise complaints from residents, was "seriously scratched" in his face.

Mr Shcherbakov, 59, is facing criminal charges of violence against police.

The case was opened on Wednesday, more than a year after the incident took place, Telegram channel Baza reported.

What is alleged to have happened?
According to Russian broadcaster Ren TV, on 4 October 2018 Mr Shcherbakov was sitting at the foot of a stairwell in a residential building in the Russian capital of Moscow.

He had allegedly been drinking heavily.

Residents reported a disturbance, but when a police officer entered the property Mr Shcherbakov refused to co-operate or answer any questions, Ren TV reported.

Mr Shcherbakov is then accused of grabbing a nearby cat and launching it at the officer.

The animal reportedly clung to the officer's face, sinking its claws in.

Mr Shcherbakov, who is not a resident of the apartment block where the incident took place, denies using the cat as a weapon and has claimed that it jumped at the officer of its own will.

The case has been brought under Article 318 of the criminal code, which cites use of violence against a public official.

It is not clear why it has taken a year to open the criminal case, or what happened to the cat.

Memeanon

keep a gold chain on my neck
kiwifarms.net

(I know this is late but I just really wanna share this)

Every October 31 in the United States, an army of glucose ghouls begins to assemble around dusk. This harlequin parade of costumed children goes door-to-door seeking candy on what is arguably the coolest American holiday. Not all children, however, are welcome to participate.

This Halloween, the US will lock some children in cages, ban some from entering the country altogether and identify others as dangerous thugs.

To understand why some children get to trick-or-treat while others get detained, banned or shot, we should look into the origins of the monster mythologies that inspire the "classic" Halloween monster costumes.

Monster mythologies personify our fears, and nothing is more fearsome to resurgent white nationalism in the US than people of colour. The policies that cage Latinx children, ban Muslim children and shoot black children are the end product of a lengthy history of portraying black and brown people as monsters.

The demonisation of Muslims
Monster myths provide a valuable opportunity for communal introspection. Like Halloween masks, monster myths personify social anxieties. Through monster myths, communities give their problems a physical form. They create clawed, hairy metaphors for societal issues.

Many of today's monster myths in the West originated from medieval Christendom's dehumanisation non-Christians in general and Muslims in particular. As scholar of religions Sophia Rose Arjana points out in her book, Muslims in the Western Imagination, Europeans exaggerated Muslims into literal monsters.

They equated Islam with Satanism and characterised Muslim men as rapacious demons. Positing Muslims as threats to decency provided a justification for their ethnic cleansing and killing (the very same myths of hypersexuality would centuries later lead to the lynching of thousands of innocent black men under Jim Crow in the US).

Arjana argues that the growing strength of the Ottoman Empire, and its expansion into Europe spread fears of a Muslim demographic "threat" and paved the way for the creation of anti-miscegenation myths about monsters that can corrupt the blood of a Christian "with a bite". Anxiety about race mixing with Muslims is what sparked the invention of the popular werewolf and vampire legends.

By transforming Muslims into monsters that are not only dangerous but also less than human, Europeans tried to justify their attempts to control Muslim peoples and rule over their lands. And these monster myths with their clear racial connotations continue to be propagated by popular culture today.

America's racial boogeymen in Hollywood
Hollywood has embraced these myths and created countless films employing racialised images of monsters. Classic monster flicks like King Kong (1931), The Wolfman (1941) and The Creature in the Black Lagoon (1954) reflect white America's anxieties about race. All three films revolve around monsters that are visibly different, hold predatory relationships to white women and are unable to peacefully coexist with Western civilisation - all attributes popularly associated with the racial "other".

Apart from the racialised monster imagery, the depiction of people of colour in movies is also overwhelmingly negative. Black and Latino men are often depicted as criminals, while Arabs and Muslims are traditionally portrayed as terrorists.

Black and brown boys seldom look at movie screens to see heroic representations of themselves. They often see men of their ethnic/racial group hypermasculinised and used as target practise by the white protagonist. At the end of such movies, the audience is moved to cheer the killing of the racialised "monster" in an act of symbolic lynching of the perceived non-human evildoer.

Even animations meant for younger audiences link racial otherness to monstrosity. Cartoons of the 1990s like Disney's Gargoyles (1994-97) and Fox's X-men (1992-97), for example, treat physical differences as both sources of great persecution and great power.

Though they are defanged and declawed, these representations of people of colour are not much different than the monsters of medieval Europe. Every Halloween these cliched stereotypes resurface as costumes, poor in taste and imagination.

Political ghost stories: race and monstrosity
Racialised representations also dominate American politics. In political discourse and the media, people of colour are stripped of their humanity and presented as brutish criminals - walking, breathing threats to prosperous white suburbia.

US President Donald Trump built his entire political career on invoking modern incarnations of classic monsters, such as "cartel banditos", "Muslim terrorists " or "black thugs ". He, like much of the US political establishment, has put these portrayals to use to justify inhumane policies.

References to Latino men as drug dealers and rapists are used to justify militarised border control policies at the US-Mexico border which has resulted in the detention of 76,000 minors and the deaths over a dozen children this year.

Representations of Muslims as terrorists have helped pass a Muslim ban in the US, which apart from denying people escaping warzones the right to seek safety in the US, has also kept terminally ill children from the embrace of their parents.

Portrayals of black people as "thugs" and crime as intrinsic to black communities have been used to justify high incarceration rates for black men (for even the smallest infractions), police violence and state neglect of black neighbourhoods.

Children of colour are inevitably affected by these policies targeting their communities. They are caged, spied on and shot in cold blood because Americans surround themselves with myths that make them believe these children will grow up to be monsters.

This Halloween, white supremacy will once again project its fear of the racial other on to fictional monstrosity. While some children will get dressed as monsters to celebrate the holiday, others will have to struggle with the fact that they will inevitably be treated as monsters all their lives because of the colour of their skin.

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

(I know this is late but I just really wanna share this)

Every October 31 in the United States, an army of glucose ghouls begins to assemble around dusk. This harlequin parade of costumed children goes door-to-door seeking candy on what is arguably the coolest American holiday. Not all children, however, are welcome to participate.

This Halloween, the US will lock some children in cages, ban some from entering the country altogether and identify others as dangerous thugs.

To understand why some children get to trick-or-treat while others get detained, banned or shot, we should look into the origins of the monster mythologies that inspire the "classic" Halloween monster costumes.

Monster mythologies personify our fears, and nothing is more fearsome to resurgent white nationalism in the US than people of colour. The policies that cage Latinx children, ban Muslim children and shoot black children are the end product of a lengthy history of portraying black and brown people as monsters.

The demonisation of Muslims
Monster myths provide a valuable opportunity for communal introspection. Like Halloween masks, monster myths personify social anxieties. Through monster myths, communities give their problems a physical form. They create clawed, hairy metaphors for societal issues.

Many of today's monster myths in the West originated from medieval Christendom's dehumanisation non-Christians in general and Muslims in particular. As scholar of religions Sophia Rose Arjana points out in her book, Muslims in the Western Imagination, Europeans exaggerated Muslims into literal monsters.

They equated Islam with Satanism and characterised Muslim men as rapacious demons. Positing Muslims as threats to decency provided a justification for their ethnic cleansing and killing (the very same myths of hypersexuality would centuries later lead to the lynching of thousands of innocent black men under Jim Crow in the US).

Arjana argues that the growing strength of the Ottoman Empire, and its expansion into Europe spread fears of a Muslim demographic "threat" and paved the way for the creation of anti-miscegenation myths about monsters that can corrupt the blood of a Christian "with a bite". Anxiety about race mixing with Muslims is what sparked the invention of the popular werewolf and vampire legends.

By transforming Muslims into monsters that are not only dangerous but also less than human, Europeans tried to justify their attempts to control Muslim peoples and rule over their lands. And these monster myths with their clear racial connotations continue to be propagated by popular culture today.

America's racial boogeymen in Hollywood
Hollywood has embraced these myths and created countless films employing racialised images of monsters. Classic monster flicks like King Kong (1931), The Wolfman (1941) and The Creature in the Black Lagoon (1954) reflect white America's anxieties about race. All three films revolve around monsters that are visibly different, hold predatory relationships to white women and are unable to peacefully coexist with Western civilisation - all attributes popularly associated with the racial "other".

Apart from the racialised monster imagery, the depiction of people of colour in movies is also overwhelmingly negative. Black and Latino men are often depicted as criminals, while Arabs and Muslims are traditionally portrayed as terrorists.

Black and brown boys seldom look at movie screens to see heroic representations of themselves. They often see men of their ethnic/racial group hypermasculinised and used as target practise by the white protagonist. At the end of such movies, the audience is moved to cheer the killing of the racialised "monster" in an act of symbolic lynching of the perceived non-human evildoer.

Even animations meant for younger audiences link racial otherness to monstrosity. Cartoons of the 1990s like Disney's Gargoyles (1994-97) and Fox's X-men (1992-97), for example, treat physical differences as both sources of great persecution and great power.

Though they are defanged and declawed, these representations of people of colour are not much different than the monsters of medieval Europe. Every Halloween these cliched stereotypes resurface as costumes, poor in taste and imagination.

Political ghost stories: race and monstrosity
Racialised representations also dominate American politics. In political discourse and the media, people of colour are stripped of their humanity and presented as brutish criminals - walking, breathing threats to prosperous white suburbia.

US President Donald Trump built his entire political career on invoking modern incarnations of classic monsters, such as "cartel banditos", "Muslim terrorists " or "black thugs ". He, like much of the US political establishment, has put these portrayals to use to justify inhumane policies.

References to Latino men as drug dealers and rapists are used to justify militarised border control policies at the US-Mexico border which has resulted in the detention of 76,000 minors and the deaths over a dozen children this year.

Representations of Muslims as terrorists have helped pass a Muslim ban in the US, which apart from denying people escaping warzones the right to seek safety in the US, has also kept terminally ill children from the embrace of their parents.

Portrayals of black people as "thugs" and crime as intrinsic to black communities have been used to justify high incarceration rates for black men (for even the smallest infractions), police violence and state neglect of black neighbourhoods.

Children of colour are inevitably affected by these policies targeting their communities. They are caged, spied on and shot in cold blood because Americans surround themselves with myths that make them believe these children will grow up to be monsters.

This Halloween, white supremacy will once again project its fear of the racial other on to fictional monstrosity. While some children will get dressed as monsters to celebrate the holiday, others will have to struggle with the fact that they will inevitably be treated as monsters all their lives because of the colour of their skin.
That is a very big stretch to say the least.

"Some people suffer from racial discrimination that abstractly characterizes them as 'monsters', thus people who don't suffer from racial discrimination should feel guilty about the monster-theme of Halloween"

Gaymead

kiwifarms.net
***I wasn't sure whether to post this story here or in the Hollywood Sex Pest Megathread, but for now, I'll leave it hear, considering I don't think this doesn't deserve much of a blow-up***

I managed to catch this story on CNN; it's about an incident at a variety show in New York involving Harvey Weinstein and two performers who confronted him for attending the event:
By Madeline Holcombe and Dakin Andone, CNN

Updated 1957 GMT (0357 HKT) October 25, 2019
Comedian calls out Harvey Weinstein during live show
Play Video

Comedian calls out Harvey Weinstein during live show 02:13
(CNN)A night of comedy ended with an audience member being asked to leave the venue after she and a performer called out Harvey Weinstein, who attended the show.

Kelly Bachman, one of several performers in a variety show at a Manhattan bar on Wednesday night, told CNN she spotted Weinstein and used part of her set to call the former Hollywood producer "Freddy Krueger" and call out the rape allegations against him.
New book 'She Said' details how investigation into Harvey Weinstein unfolded, with the New York Times at the center
New book 'She Said' details how investigation into Harvey Weinstein unfolded, with the New York Times at the center
Weinstein currently faces criminal charges of predatory sexual assault, criminal sexual act, first-degree rape and third-degree rape. He has pleaded not guilty and maintains all sexual encounters he's been involved in have been consensual. His trial is expected to begin in January.
An audience member, Zoe Stuckless, also confronted Weinstein at his table and demanded he be asked to leave, according to video Stuckless shared on Facebook. Instead, Stuckless was asked to leave the bar, and Bachman left with Stuckless, the comic said.
The venue, Downtime Bar, confirmed in a statement posted to its Facebook page that an audience member was asked to leave after heckling another guest. "After several requests to stop were ignored, we kindly asked the heckler to leave," the statement said. The bar's Facebook page has since been deleted, but the statement is still posted as an Instagram Story on its Instagram page.
'The elephant in the room'
Bachman said she did a triple take when she walked into the venue and saw Weinstein seated with a group of people at a table. The environment seemed welcoming, she said.
None of the performers before her commented on Weinstein's presence, Bachman said, so she decided to take some of the time in her set to say something.
It's unclear whether other performers were aware that Weinstein was in the room.

"I'm a comic, and it's my job to name the elephant in the room. Anyone know what that is?" Bachman asked in a video of the performance, adding that "Freddy Krueger" was in the room.
"I have been raped, surprisingly by no one in this room, but I've never gotten to confront those guys," she said. "So, just a general f*** you."
Rose McGowan sues Harvey Weinstein for alleged campaign against her
Some audience members were heard cheering in the video, while others booed. Bachman said onstage she didn't register the responses because she was in such a state of trauma from her own experiences.
"Harvey Weinstein was out with friends enjoying the music and trying to find some solace in his life that has been turned upside down," a spokesperson for Weinstein said in a statement. "This scene was uncalled for, downright rude and an example of how due process is being squashed by the public, trying to take it away in the courtroom too."
The spokesperson added that no one with Weinstein was responsible for the jeering.
In a statement sent via his spokesperson, Weinstein said, "I am happy to address anyone's questions. We should all be offered the courtesy to voice opinions and be heard, and to even get answers. I am glad we all still have these rights."
After addressing Weinstein, Bachman went back to her set, she said, both feeling like she hadn't said enough and determined not to let the topic take up more of her performance time.
"I was just beating myself up like 'you didn't do enough, you didn't say enough,'" she told CNN. "I had the same feelings about every time I've been sexually assaulted."
It's unclear whether Weinstein was invited to the event. But the host of Actor's Hour, Alexandra Laliberte, said in a statement that she "did not consider the underlying implications of Mr. Weinstein's presence and was naively overwhelmed by the entire situation that unfolded."
"I want to sincerely apologize to any women who were re-traumatized this week at Actor's Hour," Laliberte said, adding that "a safe environment is what I set out to create for the acting community."
Laliberte did not respond to follow up questions from CNN about whether she invited Weinstein to the event.
'Nobody's going to say anything?'
It was during the show's intermission that Stuckless, the audience member, went over to Weinstein's table and demanded he be asked to leave, according to Bachman.
"Nobody's going to say anything?" Stuckless shouted in a video posted to Facebook.
Stuckless, who uses they/them pronouns, was then asked to leave, according to the video.
"I kept thinking about the fact that we were in a room full of young artists, young women creating art and being vulnerable on the stage, and this was the very community that Weinstein was able to terrorize for so many years," Stuckless told CNN. When people at the club didn't confront Weinstein, they felt that the same attitudes that allowed Weinstein's behavior to go unchecked were being reproduced in the bar.
"That same culture of silence was happening in that room," Stuckless said.

Bachman said that Stuckless being asked to leave while Weinstein was allowed to stay felt like an episode of "The Twilight Zone."
"I really felt she was the bravest person in the room," Bachman said. The comic and Stuckless left the venue together, Bachman said. Bachman had been looking for an excuse to leave, she told CNN, but the only way out was through a door near where Weinstein was seated.
Bachman felt she made the right decision in confronting Weinstein, she said, and by the following morning, she had received a wave of love and support.
This story has been updated to clarify who was asked by the bar to leave. It has also been updated with the pronouns audience member Zoe Stuckless uses.
CNN's Julia Jones, Paul P. Murphy, Nicole Chavez and Elizabeth Joseph contributed to this report.

Here is a video of the incident, posted by the comedian (Bachman):
Video Link
Play
-0:59Unmute
Additional Visual Settings
Click to enlarge

Kelly Bachman
October 24 at 10:52 AM ·
TW: Harvey Weinstein.

Last night I was booked to perform stand-up on a variety show at Downtime Bar NYC in Lower East Side, sponsored by an organization for artists Actor's Hour - A Speakeasy for Artists! (Fundraiser Underground Edition) They film their events, and it seemed like a great opportunity for me to get a tape. I brought my new 10 min. set, excited to work it out in a warm room of my peers. Instead I found the boogeyman himself, Harvey Weinstein, sitting at a reserved table with his friends. He was INVITED by Actors Hour—I’m told that he was specifically invited by their founder, Alexandra Laliberte. I saw he was there right away, but no one in the room was saying anything out loud. I learned from a whisper that Weinstein was invited to Actors Hour’s last event as well, and that he would not be asked to leave. A few audience members seemed terrified into silence while others were unaffected or even seemed to admire him. The few performers before me said nothing about it on stage. I whispered to an audience member, “I have to say something, right?” She said “No, don’t—” and looked away. At this point I was in total shock, but I really really wanted to get this new tape! I got on stage and tried my best to address him before carrying on with my set. I l was boo’d and told to “shut up” by men in the back of the room. I was shaking and hot-faced the entire time, in a traumatized state from my own experiences as a survivor of rape. I’ve literally had nightmares about seeing Harvey Weinstein in New York, the way I have nightmares about Stephen King’s It or Freddy Krueger. And he was 50 feet away from me, staring with shark eyes, surrounded by his allies. After I went up, the next few performers also did not address It. One comic seemed to want to make fun of ME by saying “I’d like to address an elephant in the room too. Is the producer of Goodwill Hunting here? That’s a great movie.” During the show’s intermission a brave as hell woman (who I do not know the name of!) finally yelled out and cried, demanding that Harvey Weinstein be asked to leave. She was kicked out instead. I left with her and bad ass Amber Rollo who called Harvey Weinstein a fucking monster, only to be called a “cunt” by his friend and also escorted out. I later learned that the emcee of the show was one of the people who boo’d me. He told someone that I shouldn’t have brought it up unless I was going to be funny and make everyone comfortable. To be clear, I don’t want to make anyone comfortable about this. I was uncomfortable. I am still uncomfortable. I have no idea why an organization created to support actors is protecting a man who has raped, blackmailed and ruined the careers of actors, but I do not regret speaking out against that. I really wish I could’ve said more, or been more funny, but this is what I said. I'll post the rest of the set at some point just to prove that SOME of it was funny 😁 But really, fuck them and fuck Downtime Bar ❤these are NOT safe spaces for artists. Please do NOT support them. Support survivors and believe them. Here's Actors Hour's website by the way, in case you want to send them a note. https://www.actorshour.com/
8K8K
1.8K Comments
3.5K Shares

And here are their responses:
By Christina Maxouris, CNN

Updated 0351 GMT (1151 HKT) October 27, 2019
kelly bachman harvey weinstein confrontation nr intv vpx_00032502
Play Video

Comedian who confronted Harvey Weinstein recalls 'surreal' encounter 03:51
(CNN)Kelly Bachman, the comedian who called out Harvey Weinstein at a New York bar this week, says she hopes she "said enough."

The comic was one of several performers in a variety show Wednesday night. She said she spotted the former Hollywood producer before her Actor's Hour set and decided she had to say something. Another person in the audience spoke out against Weinstein and was asked to leave.
Bachman told CNN's Ana Cabrera on Saturday that, as a rape survivor herself, she was thinking about how important it was to stand up to Weinstein before she went on stage.
"I was really trying to just say something, and in the moment, I really felt like I could have said more, and I really felt like I had let down other survivors by not saying more," she said. "They're my heroes for speaking out and I hope I did right by them in some way."
Inside Manhattan's Downtime Bar on Wednesday, she said that as a comic, "It's my job to name the elephant in the room," and that "Freddy Krueger" was in the room.
"I have been raped, surprisingly by no one in this room, but I've never gotten to confront those guys," she had said. "So, just a general f*** you."
Weinstein currently faces criminal charges of predatory sexual assault, criminal sexual act, first-degree rape and third-degree rape. He has pleaded not guilty and maintains all sexual encounters he's been involved in have been consensual. His trial is expected to begin in January.
A spokesman for Weinstein said the former mogul was "out with friends enjoying the music and trying to find some solace in his life that has been turned upside down."
"This scene was uncalled for, downright rude and an example of how due process is being squashed by the public, trying to take it away in the courtroom too."
Bachman said Saturday what happened had nothing to do with due process.
"This is about protecting the artists in the space and making them feel as safe as they're supposed to perform," she said. "Bringing someone that has a reputation for destroying the careers of young women ... to have a room full of young women exposed to that person in a way that's treated as normal and maybe welcome, to me that's a completely separate conversation than the conversation about due process."
Comic was shocked by audience's reaction
An audience member, Zoe Stuckless, also confronted Weinstein at his table and demanded he be asked to leave, according to video Stuckless shared on Facebook.
"Nobody's going to say anything?" Stuckless shouted in a video posted to Facebook. Stuckless was then asked to leave, according to the video.
Bachman said Saturday she was in shock since the moment she saw Weinstein.
"I found out pretty quickly that he was invited, and no one was going to ask him to leave so I was totally shocked by that, that he seemed to just be ... accepted as like a normal presence in the space," she said.
It's unclear whether Weinstein was invited to the event. The host of Actor's Hour, Alexandra Laliberte, said in a statement that she "did not consider the underlying implications of Mr. Weinstein's presence and was naively overwhelmed by the entire situation that unfolded."
Bachman said seeing how people reacted to him being there was "the most triggering aspect."
In a video of the performance the comic posted on Facebook, audience members could be heard booing her and one told her to shut up when she talked about Weinstein.
"When someone says, 'Shut up,' that to me reminds me of being silenced as a rape survivor, of not believed as a rape victim and so it's very jarring," she said.
CNN's Julia Jones, Paul P. Murphy, Nicole Chavez, Elizabeth Joseph, Madeline Holcombe and Dakin Andone contributed to this report.
Links to articles:
CNN 1st Article
CNN 2nd Article
Page Six
Hollywood Reporter
Page Six
CrimeOnline
Variety (check the comments, they're batshit insane)
Eventually, one of them (Stuckman) went on twitter to post about the incident:
StucklessTwitter.PNG

Stuckman's twitter thread (with video) (Archive)

IAmNotAlpharius

For the Emperor?!
kiwifarms.net
Woman Pretending to Be Wolf in Sex Attack Allegedly Bit Off Friend's Ear: 'You're Gonna Have to Die'

The officer who walked in on the scene around 1:30 a.m. in response to reports of screams found two women on the bedroom floor — one nude and the other wearing only underwear, both covered in blood.
The nude woman sitting up on her knees “seemed to be in a happy-type mood,” Oakland County, Michigan, sheriff’s deputy Shawn Hopkins testified in court Tuesday, reports Detroit TV station WDIV. “She was having a good time.”
The other woman, found lying on her back, “almost appeared like she may have been in shock,” he said.
When he asked for an explanation, he said the nude woman, 44-year-old Allison Weaver, “told me that they were having consensual sex and that (the victim) was a vampire and that Ms. Weaver was the wolf.”
The other woman, 48, had part of her left ear bitten off and numerous bite marks on her face, reports Detroit TV station WXYZ.
But the unnamed victim denied to the officer — as well as during the preliminary hearing Tuesday — that there was anything consensual going on.
• Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.
The victim said she went to bed alone on Sept. 16, leaving her friend Weaver, who had come over that night with two pouches of pre-mixed rum and an opened bottle of vodka, on the couch in another room.
She testified that she was later startled awake from her sleep.
“(I remember) jumping off my bed and seeing Allison on all fours on my bed and … giving me a really scary look,” the victim said, reports WDIV. “She just kept giving me this look with her head going back and forth. I was, like, ‘What are you doing?’ She just lunged at me, and she just started strangling me.”
The woman said she briefly lost consciousness.
“Next thing I remember after her strangling me — I only remember a couple of things — I remember her strangling me,” she said. “The next thing I remember is trying to get away and hearing her, as clear as day, with no reflection in her tone, just saying, ‘Sorry (name), but you’re gonna have to die today.'”
“I just started screaming bloody murder and banging on the floor, (saying), ‘No, no, no. I can’t believe I’m going to die like this. Someone come and please help, help, help.'”
Weaver, of Rochester Hills, was charged with criminal sexual conduct-second degree, assault with intent to do great bodily harm, and assault with intent to maim, reports The Oakland Press.
During Tuesday’s preliminary hearing in the case, Judge Nancy T. Carniak upheld those charges and allowed prosecutors to add a fourth charge alleging assault by strangulation, according to WDIV.
Weaver’s attorney, Vincenzo Manzella, tells PEOPLE that Weaver has entered a plea of not guilty to the charges against her. She has posted a $75,000 bond and was placed under monitored house arrest at her initial arraignment on Sept. 20.
He declined additional comment about his client’s response to the allegations.
The case now moves forward to a formal arraignment in Oakland County Circuit Court before Judge Nanci Grant, tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, he says.

———————
I would say don’t put your dick in crazy, but her partner is a lesbian. Is there a lesbian equivalent?

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino