Disaster Interesting clickbait, op-eds, fluff pieces and other smaller stories -

What should the prefix to this thread be?

• World

Votes: 105 17.1%
  • Science

Votes: 19 3.1%
  • Culture

Votes: 129 21.0%
  • Disaster

Votes: 362 58.9%

• Total voters

NerdShamer

kiwifarms.net
Speaking of vegans & burgers, is the Impossible Whopper any good? Haven't tried it, yet; but I can't help but notice that it's skinnier than the original.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Koby_Fish

Freedom Fries

kiwifarms.net
Speaking of vegans & burgers, is the Impossible Whopper any good? Haven't tried it, yet; but I can't help but notice that it's skinnier than the original.
I have a friend who is vegetarian (mostly for sustainability and resource use reasons and he really likes it. That said that shit is so processed that it's almost definitely worse for you than a regular burger.

Jewelsmakerguy

(Cheesy 80s music intensifies)
kiwifarms.net
Why America needs a hate speech law
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/10/29/why-america-needs-hate-speech-law/ (http://archive.vn/qCQss)

Richard Stengel, a former editor of Time, is the author of “Information Wars” and was the State Department’s undersecretary for public diplomacy and public affairs from 2013 to 2016.

All speech is not equal. And where truth cannot drive out lies, we must add new guardrails. I’m all for protecting “thought that we hate,” but not speech that incites hate. It undermines the very values of a fair marketplace of ideas that the First Amendment is designed to protect.
If he's saying that, he should realize that the saying can easily be turned against him just as well. I mean I agree with the point trying to be made (the shit the tabloids and clickbait shit like Vox say are scummy as fuck, as are some of the "stories" the likes of CNN and their ilk are putting out these days).

But at the same time, where does it stop? In this day and age, hate speech is basically nothing more than "I don't like your opinions! I hate you!" or "I hate this word that everyone else uses! Outlaw it right now!" instead of it being "This person is saying hateful, bigoted and racist things that go against the 1st amendment" as it was before this whole wave of easily assmad social media idiots changed the meaning entirely. Of course, I'm not saying that hasn't gone away too, but it's certainly been overshadowed by those who just want to flat out ban any and all forms of speech because it offends them on a personal level even if others aren't.

Of course, this is nothing more than an opinion piece than actual news, so most of this shit is basically just thinly-veiled and muddled hate speech in its own right. Thus undercutting his own damn message.

• Agree
Reactions: Vecr

AnOminous

I'm not mad at anyone, honest.
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
If he's saying that, he should realize that the saying can easily be turned against him just as well.
He's one of the Lizard People. Jobs like editor-in-chief of Time Magazine are reserved for people in that fruity little club (that you are not in and never will be), and while most SJW types are the kind of plebs who get caught in laws like this, guys like this never do. Laws aren't for guys like this. Islands like Epstein's are for guys like this.

DragoonSierra

kiwifarms.net
I have a friend who is vegetarian (mostly for sustainability and resource use reasons and he really likes it. That said that shit is so processed that it's almost definitely worse for you than a regular burger.
I must say thats the only good reason to go vegetarian. The amount of feed and water it takes to raise meat could feed at least 10 times as many people.

Im not sure the Impossible Burger is sustainable or a good use of resources. probably better than beef tho. And it does taste good.

AltisticRight

Matt Jarbo is not the father.
kiwifarms.net
Bland. Very unhealthy too.
Try those mushroom burgers or fake vegan fish burgers, those actually taste good.

Vegan or vegetarianism doesn't imply healthiness. Potato chips and soft drinks are vegan, so are vegan doughnuts and ice cream, try having a diet on that. I love how a vegetarian turned carnivore will try to justify their diet, lol. Veg types need iron and B12 supplements. Low iron means lower sperm count and a softer boner, the comparison between vegans and pussies is valid.

Reactions: Alec Benson Leary

COOW

kiwifarms.net
It's a pity her previous children and to a lesser extent her third child will be intellectually stunted because of her self-inflicted nutritional deficiencies (anemia is just the tip of the iceberg). Women have too much autonomy for their own damn good. A man would never put the well-being of pigs and cattle above that of his own progeny.

Let's find out what inspired her to take up meat abstinence.
Like thousands of others, she had flicked through 'Animal Liberation' -- a ground-breaking book written by Australian philosopher (((Peter Singer))) in the 1970s, and was disturbed by the revelations.
Just as suspected, an oven dodger. Every modern poison can be traced back to these pernicious people. Women's liberation and universal suffrage was a huge victory for the Jews. They can fill her silly little head with all manner of romantic ideas and the result is #RefugeesWelcome and the decay of Western civilization.

Übertroon

Gotta go fast
kiwifarms.net
Just as suspected, an oven dodger. Every modern poison can be traced back to these pernicious people. Women's liberation and universal suffrage was a huge victory for the Jews. They can fill her silly little head with all manner of romantic ideas and the result is #RefugeesWelcome and the decay of Western civilization.
Eine kleine wurzellose internationale Clique

Alec Benson Leary

Creator of Asperchu
Christorical Figure
kiwifarms.net
I'm glad she wants to do her part to eliminate shitty factory farming, and I'm really glad she gave a nice pithy "fuck you" to the woke veganites who think we all need to be eating tofu-based insects or the world will die conveniently the day before the next election, but are we glossing over the fact that a 49yo woman barbed a likely-autistic fetus out of her bronze-age womb? This child might be the next Chris and we have to prepare.

LordofTendons

OW MAI LAIG
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A screenshot of this guy's twitter post seems to be gaining traction on Facebook. He calls his blog MAP Accuracy and it's so clean and non-offensive. It could be a blog about blank notebooks but it's about PEDOS AND HOW FUCKING NORMAL THEY ARE. If you'll excuse me, I need to go out to the garage and break something.

The "P" Word (Why Journalists Need to Stop Conflating "Pedophile" With "Sex Offender")

As a journalist, you know that you would never think of using the "N" word to describe a black person in a story you are working on. Did you ever think that using "pedophile" to describe a sex offender might have the same effect?

Don’t get me wrong: I get it. I know that word sells. It turns what would possibly be a horrific story of child sex abuse into something that potentially people will want to click on, read, or watch so they can direct the hatred they have inside of them towards what is a widely acceptable form of disgust.

But did you ever take a moment to think that, by using that word without knowing for a fact that the person who offended was actually attracted to children, you might actually be contributing to more sexual abuse against children?

Let me explain.

I will use the example I started with. If you were reporting on a crime committed by someone of color, you know that you would get reprimanded pretty quickly if you would use a derogatory term to describe that person -- and for good reason. Using those terms lumps people together into categories and DE-humanizes them.

I know I don’t I need to tell you that, yet you still feel it’s okay to do that to pedophiles. Why? Because they are all sex offenders and it doesn’t matter? That is the same thing as saying that all people of color will be criminals.

Think of that young person of an minority race having to read day in and day out that they are nothing but criminals. Eventually, they would start to believe that and internalize it. "If that is what they think of me, then what is the point? I might as well be what they say I am."

I am not saying that, if you don’t stop conflating pedophilia with sex offending, all pedophiles will go on and abuse because they can’t see any other way. I am more pleading with you to take into consideration that some might.

Pedophilia is the unwanted attraction to prepubescent children. That. Is. All.

Attraction Does Not Equal Action.

You can be a pedophile and never abuse a child, and you can also abuse a child and not be attracted to children.

Imagine waking up in a world where heterosexuality was not the norm. Imagine if you acted on your attraction, you know that you would ruin a life so you purposely choose not to act.

Now imagine that anytime someone did choose to act on that attraction, they were automatically grouped with people like you who chose the moral high ground? How would you feel? How would you react?

I myself am “minor-attracted” and have been since I entered puberty -- perhaps even earlier. I am 41 years old; I have been dealing with the hatred and disgust that is thrown at people like me for around 29 years. Still, through all those years I still have decided that I do not want to harm a child.

By now I have almost become numb to it all, but I am writing this to play to your better natures for the next generation of people born with this attraction. I’m asking you to think of them.

What if someone in your immediate circle is a pedophile? What if that person is your child? Would you not want to protect them from hearing or seeing this type of hatred thrown at them? Would you not be calling your news station or local paper, telling them they need to get it right?

I am asking you to do your research like you were trained to do. There are many resources out there (such as this site) that will help you understand the difference between those who have this attraction and those who actually abuse.

We have a non-exhaustive list of Resources and Proper Terminology for you to use without having to even go anywhere else. I am also more than willing to answer any of your questions you might have: just fill out the form on “Contact Us”.

Let me end with this: the whole reason I chose the title of this post is that I feel that people have stolen the word “Pedophile” from the people who actually are that. They have taken something and made it mean something else.

I have told numerous people that, when talking to someone that it is safe to discuss my attraction with, I can’t even bring myself to say that I am a pedophile without thinking that I am actually saying I am offender.

I know I am NOT AN OFFENDER and don’t ever want to be, so shouldn’t it be OK for me to be able to use a word to describe part of myself without feeling like I am?

map.jpg

• Islamic Content
Reactions: greengrilledcheese

murgatroid

kiwifarms.net
Speaking of the impossible whopper, The New York Times did a taste test of a bunch of modern plant based burgers.

Personally, I've always loved "Morningstar Grillers Prime" veggie burgers. Not because they taste like real hamburgers, I think they taste great as something unique in their own right. Especially when you add the usual burgers fixings like lettuce tomato onion etc. And I'm not a vegetarian or vegan.

How Do the New Plant-Based Burgers Stack Up? We Taste-Tested Them
The new generation of veggie burgers aims to replace the beefy original with fake meat or fresher vegetables. To find out how well they do, we ran a blind tasting of six top contenders.
By Julia Moskin Oct. 22 2019

Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 8.20.46 PM.png

The Impossible Burger replicates the beefy look and taste of a traditional hamburger. Credit...CreditCon Poulos for The New York Times. Food Stylist: Simon Andrews.

In just two years, food technology has moved consumers from browsing for wan “veggie patties” in the frozen aisle to selecting fresh “plant-based burgers” sold next to the ground beef.

Behind the scenes at the supermarket, giant battles are being waged: Meat producers are suing to have the words “meat” and “burger” restricted to their own products. Makers of meat alternatives like Beyond Meat and Impossible Foods are vying to capture the global fast-food market, as big players like Tyson and Perdue join the fray. Environmental and food scientists are insisting that we eat more plants and less processed food. Many vegetarians and vegans say the goal is to break the habit of eating meat, not feed it with surrogates.

“I would still prefer to eat something that’s not lab-grown,” said Isa Chandra Moskowitz, the chef at the vegan restaurant Modern Love in Omaha, where her own burger is the most popular dish on the menu. “But it’s better for people and for the planet to eat one of those burgers instead of meat every day, if that’s what they are going to do anyway.”

The new refrigerator-case “meat” products already comprise one of the fastest-growing segments of the food industry.

Some are proudly high-tech, assembled from an array of starches, fats, salts, sweeteners and synthetic umami-rich proteins. They are made possible by new technologies that, for example, whip coconut oil and cocoa butter into tiny globules of white fat that give the Beyond Burger the marbled appearance of ground beef.

Others are resolutely simple, based on whole grains and vegetables, and reverse-engineered with ingredients like yeast extract and barley malt to be crustier, browner and juicier than their frozen veggie-burger predecessors. (Some consumers are turning away from those familiar products, not only because of the taste, but because they are most often made with highly processed ingredients.)

But how do all the newcomers perform at the table?

The Times restaurant critic Pete Wells, our cooking columnist Melissa Clark and I lined up both kinds of new vegan burgers for a blind tasting of six national brands. Though many people have already tasted these burgers in restaurants, we wanted to replicate the experience of a home cook. (To that end, Melissa and I roped in our daughters: my 12-year-old vegetarian and her 11-year-old burger aficionado.)

Each burger was seared with a teaspoon of canola oil in a hot skillet, and served in a potato bun. We first tasted them plain, then loaded with our favorites among the classic toppings: ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, pickles and American cheese. Here are the results, on a rating scale of one to five stars.

Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 8.23.00 PM.png

Evan Sung for The New York Times

1. Impossible Burger
★★★★½

Maker Impossible Foods, Redwood City, Calif.

Slogan “Made From Plants For People Who Love Meat”

Selling points Vegan, gluten-free.

Price $8.99 for a 12-ounce package.
Tasting notes “The most like a beef burger by far,” was my first scribbled note. Everyone liked its crisp edges, and Pete noted its “brawny flavor.” My daughter was convinced it was a real ground beef patty, slipped in to confuse us. The only one of the six contenders that includes genetically modified ingredients, the Impossible Burger contains a compound (soy leghemoglobin) created and manufactured by the company from plant hemoglobins; it quite successfully replicates the “bloody” look and taste of a rare burger. Melissa deemed it “charred in a good way,” but, like most plant-based burgers, it became rather dried out before we finished eating.
Ingredients Water, soy protein concentrate, coconut oil, sunflower oil, natural flavors, 2 percent or less of: potato protein, methylcellulose, yeast extract, cultured dextrose, food starch-modified, soy leghemoglobin, salt, soy protein isolate, mixed tocopherols (vitamin E), zinc gluconate, thiamine hydrochloride (vitamin B1), sodium ascorbate (vitamin C), niacin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin B12.
Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 8.24.12 PM.png

2. Beyond Burger
★★★★
Maker Beyond Meat, El Segundo, Calif.
Slogan “Go Beyond”
Selling points Vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, non-G.M.O.
Price $5.99 for two four-ounce patties.
Tasting notes The Beyond Burger was “juicy with a convincing texture,” per Melissa, who also commended its “roundness, with lots of umami.” Her daughter identified a faint but pleasing smoky flavor, reminiscent of barbecue-flavored potato chips. I liked its texture: crumbly but not dry, as a burger should be. This burger was the most visually similar to one made of ground beef, evenly marbled with white fat (made from coconut oil and cocoa butter) and oozing a bit of red juice, from beets. Over all, Pete said, a “real beefy” experience.
Ingredients Water, pea protein isolate, expeller-pressed canola oil, refined coconut oil, rice protein, natural flavors, cocoa butter, mung bean protein, methylcellulose, potato starch, apple extract, salt, potassium chloride, vinegar, lemon juice concentrate, sunflower lecithin, pomegranate fruit powder, beet juice extract (for color).

Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 8.25.09 PM.png

3. Lightlife Burger
★★★

Maker Lightlife/Greenleaf Foods, Toronto

Slogan “Food That Shines”

Selling points Vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, non-G.M.O.

Price $5.99 for two four-ounce patties.

Tasting notes “Warm and spicy” with a “crisp exterior” according to Melissa, the Lightlife burger is a new offering from a company that has been making burgers and other meat substitutes from tempeh (a fermented soy product with a sturdier texture than tofu) for decades. That’s probably why it nailed the “firm and chewy texture” that I found a little bready, but “not worse than most fast-food burgers.” “Pretty good when loaded up” was Pete’s final verdict.

Ingredients Water, pea protein, expeller-pressed canola oil, modified cornstarch, modified cellulose, yeast extract, virgin coconut oil, sea salt, natural flavor, beet powder (for color), ascorbic acid (to promote color retention), onion extract, onion powder, garlic powder.
Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 8.26.30 PM.png

4. Uncut Burger
★★★

Maker Before the Butcher, San Diego

Slogan “Meaty but Meatless”

Selling points Vegan, gluten-free, non-G.M.O.

Price $5.49 for two four-ounce patties, available later this year.

Tasting notes The Uncut Burger, so named by the manufacturer to imply the opposite of a cut of meat, actually rated among the meatiest of the bunch. I was impressed by its slightly chunky texture, “like good coarse-ground beef,” but Melissa felt it made the burger fall apart “like wet cardboard.” The taste seemed “bacony” to Pete, perhaps because of the “grill flavor” and “smoke flavor” listed in the formula. (To food manufacturers, they are not quite the same thing: one is intended to taste of charring, the other of wood smoke.)

Ingredients Water, soy protein concentrate, expeller-pressed canola oil, refined coconut oil, isolated soy protein, methylcellulose, yeast extract (yeast extract, salt, natural flavor), caramel color, natural flavor (yeast extract, maltodextrin, salt, natural flavors, medium chain triglycerides, acetic acid, grill flavor [from sunflower oil], smoke flavor), beet juice powder (maltodextrin, beet juice extract, citric acid), natural red color (glycerin, beet juice, annatto), citric acid.

Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 8.28.07 PM.png

5. FieldBurger
★★½

Maker Field Roast, Seattle

Slogan “Plant-Based Artisanal Meats”

Selling points Vegan, soy-free, non-G.M.O.

Price About $6 for four 3.25-ounce patties.

Tasting notes Not much like meat, but still “much better than the classic” frozen vegetarian patties, to my mind, and the consensus choice for a good vegetable burger (rather than a meat replica). Tasters liked its “vegetal” notes, a reflection of the onions, celery and three different forms of mushroom — fresh, dried and powdered — on the ingredients list. There was some crispness to like in the crust, according to Pete, but the bready interior (it contains gluten) was not popular. “Maybe this burger would do better without a bun?” he asked.

Ingredients Vital wheat gluten, filtered water, organic expeller-pressed palm fruit oil, barley, garlic, expeller-pressed safflower oil, onions, tomato paste, celery, carrots, naturally flavored yeast extract, onion powder, mushrooms, barley malt, sea salt, spices, carrageenan (Irish moss sea vegetable extract), celery seed, balsamic vinegar, black pepper, shiitake mushrooms, porcini mushroom powder, yellow pea flour.

Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 8.28.54 PM.png

6. Sweet Earth Fresh Veggie Burger
★★½
Maker Sweet Earth Foods, Moss Landing, Calif.
Slogan “Exotic by Nature, Conscious by Choice”
Selling points Vegan, soy-free, non-G.M.O.

Price About $4.25 for two four-ounce patties.

Tasting notes This burger is sold only in flavors; I chose Mediterranean as the most neutral. Tasters liked the familiar profile of what Melissa declared “the burger for people who love falafel,” made mostly from chickpeas and bulked out with mushrooms and gluten. (Called “vital wheat gluten” on ingredient lists, it is a concentrated formulation of wheat gluten, commonly added to bread to make it lighter and chewier, and the main ingredient in seitan.) The burger wasn’t meaty, but had “nutty, toasted grain” notes that I liked from brown rice, and whiffs of spices like cumin and ginger. This burger is a longtime market leader, and Sweet Earth was recently acquired by Nestlé USA on the strength of it; the company is now introducing a new plant-meat contender called the Awesome Burger.

Ingredients Garbanzo beans, mushroom, vital wheat gluten, green peas, kale, water, bulgur wheat, barley, bell peppers, carrot, quinoa, extra-virgin olive oil, red onion, celery, flax seed, cilantro, garlic, nutritional yeast, granulated garlic, sea salt, ginger, granulated onion, lime juice concentrate, cumin, canola oil, oregano.

Correction: Oct. 22, 2019
An earlier version of this article misstated the manufacturers of the Lightlife and Sweet Earth burgers. The Lightlife burger is made by Lightlife/Greenleaf Foods in Toronto, not Lightlife in Turners Falls, Mass. The Sweet Earth burger is made by Sweet Earth Foods in Moss Landing, Calif., not Sweet Earth/Greenleaf Foods in Toronto. The article also misstated Sweet Earth’s slogan. It is “Exotic by Nature, Conscious by Choice,” not “Enlightened Foods.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/22/dining/veggie-burger-taste-test.html

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I must say thats the only good reason to go vegetarian. The amount of feed and water it takes to raise meat could feed at least 10 times as many people.

Im not sure the Impossible Burger is sustainable or a good use of resources. probably better than beef tho. And it does taste good.
There is an oversupply of food production in the world relative to global population. The problem of hunger today stems from poor distribution of the food surplus.

I think the stronger environmental argument is from the cow methane emissions and the slash-and-burn deforestation of South American jungle to create more grazing land for cows destined for the Chinese market

Reactions: IAmNotAlpharius

3119967d0c

رنج آمریکایی ها
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Extremely funny story from the Australian media about a guy called Gable Tostee today. Tostee famously was charged with murder after a half-Filipino woman he picked up on Tinder fell to her death while trying to climb down from his 14th story balcony after he locked her out there when a night of drinking and sex escalated into a fight. He's not the most pleasant character (although, he's the bodybuilding.com absolute unit kind of douche not the incels.is or /r9k type), but now Australian feminists and the media are working together to help make sure he gets laid more often, by reposting his Tinder profile on Twitter and Facebook.

1572576682823.png

1572576537769.png
1572576693436.png

1572576566403.png

1572576616540.png
1572576870855.png

Anyway, because he wasn't getting enough attention or something, local Melbourne media has been giving him interviews so he can get his profile out there. Absolute geniuses.
Gable Tostee claims he is a victim of a “harassment/hate” campaign and intends to pursue civil and criminal cases against feminist groups.

Tostee, who changed his name to Eric Thomas in 2015, has reported a Facebook group, called Mad F---ing Witches, to police after they posted screenshots of his new Tinder profile.

The post quickly gathered steam and was shared to a number of groups across social media.

Tostee is furious at being back in the spotlight, lashing the barrage of posts and encouraging his friends to report any page that shared it.

He was acquitted of the manslaughter and murder of New Zealand woman Warriena Wright after she plunged from a 14th floor balcony on the Gold Coast in 2014.

The pair had been on a Tinder date and had returned to the balcony when the pair became involved in an altercation.

“I’ve never heard of a harassment campaign this big against a private individual,” he told ABC Melbourne radio this morning of the Facebook group.

“I consider it to be a hate/harassment campaign. I was acquitted in a court of law and they don’t know the facts.

“They have total disregard for the rule of law, their opinions are not rational.

“I intend to pursue defamation against those who have wrongly accused me. Not only defamation as a civil matter, but a criminal matter.”

Tostee says he “ethically” shouldn’t need to tell anyone about his past.

“The media created this imaginary character, anyone who knows me will tell you that is completely fictional,” Tostee told ABC Melbourne.

Tostee said it was pure coincidence he change his name to Eric Thomas around the same time he was in court.

“I haven’t tried to cover it up. I always intended to change my name because I didn’t like the old name,” he said.

“It was a weird name, I always intended to change it and just happened to do that in early 2015.”

Tostee said when Ms Wright fell to her death it was the “worst night of my entire life”.

“I feel sad as hell. It was absolutely traumatic, nobody should lose their life in a situation like that. I’m sad to this day about that,” he said.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/gable-tostee-not-backing-down-on-pursuing-haters-for-defamation/news-story/fad1dd475d907c1f84199209fc7b702f

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino