Is 2010s PC culture here to stay, or will die off with time? -

Jewelsmakerguy

Domo Arigato
kiwifarms.net
Looking at how A&N has been blowing up with nothing but cancel culture and BLM articles, it seems like the left is pulling out all the stops to make sure that EVERYTHING they don't like is removed or changed to their liking.
The list just goes on and on. The worst part is that the companies that own these properties are (for the most part) bending the knee to these people. The ones that are not backing down and standing their ground are far and few between. Unless more people from the other side grow a pair of balls and retaliate, the only way I see this ending is if the left starts to point the rifles at each other, in which case, that list is already long due to how many groups think they are more privileged than the others.

Or if Trump actually does something about it. Declaring Antifa as a terrorist group was a good start, now how about going after the governors and mayors and other people in office in all the separate states pulling the puppet strings, enabling the crazies on twitter/tumblr/reddit/facebook, and letting all these riots happen on the streets in the first place. Make them accountable for their actions in not protecting their cities/towns.
I wouldn't mind if reddit just died out completely, it's diseased regardless of political affiliation- the Left suck Biden's pedophile dick while the Right are content to claim false flags are happening and think the government, including Trump, are preparing an NWO takeover or some shit.

The rest of it is just retarded, especially trying to censor a literal kids show and trying to pass it off as "It's just a joke bro!"

Longcat

Feline of Extraordinary Length
kiwifarms.net
Since the end of last month BLM has been trending more than ever, and thinking "all cops bad" has become the acceptable position - thinking otherwise will get you cancelled. Likewise transgender ideology, along with intersectional feminism, has crept into the mainstream - schools are teaching it, celebrities are tweeting about it and it's easier than ever to buy products with pride flags and slogans like "the future is female", whereas anything with dissenting opinions is harder to find if not practically nonexistent.

My hope is that the generation being born now will be the one to say "enough is enough" and bring everyone back to their senses, but I'm not holding my breath.

InsolentGaylord

kiwifarms.net
In my more pessimistic moments, I may think "woke" is here to stay as the "natural" way of thinking. More realistically, and like @No Exit said, it should go away someday as culture changes.
I'm sure many thought the Religious Right were the "natural" way of thinking back in the day too.

Since the end of last month BLM has been trending more than ever, and thinking "all cops bad" has become the acceptable position - thinking otherwise will get you cancelled. Likewise transgender ideology, along with intersectional feminism, has crept into the mainstream - schools are teaching it, celebrities are tweeting about it and it's easier than ever to buy products with pride flags and slogans like "the future is female", whereas anything with dissenting opinions is harder to find if not practically nonexistent.

My hope is that the generation being born now will be the one to say "enough is enough" and bring everyone back to their senses, but I'm not holding my breath.
On twitter yes, which only 2% of the population of the USA are active users on.

AnimeGirlConnoisseur

kiwifarms.net
I don't think it's going anywhere. People outside KF and places like it don't care and Trump being reelected isn't going to change things. The only thing his reelection would do is act as an obstacle for the far left to gain actual political power in America. Once demographic trends and what @ConfederateIrishman talked about kill the American right wing of politics that won't be possible.

ConfederateIrishman

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't think it's going anywhere. People outside KF and places like it don't care and Trump being reelected isn't going to change things. The only thing his reelection would do is act as an obstacle for the far left to gain actual political power in America. Once demographic trends and what @ConfederateIrishman talked about kill the American right wing of politics that won't be possible.
Oh don't get me wrong; The ring wing of politics won't go away. It will merely capitulate on some things being pushed by the far left, and that is what fully locks in change. Then in 30 years the right wing is what we consider liberals today.

InsolentGaylord

kiwifarms.net
Oh don't get me wrong; The ring wing of politics won't go away. It will merely capitulate on some things being pushed by the far left, and that is what fully locks in change. Then in 30 years the right wing is what we consider liberals today.
That won't necessarily be a bad thing. If it's anything we may probably shun people who think with extremes like the Far-Left or Alt-Right if society actually improves at some point in the future.

The problem is the Far-Left are demanding unreasonable rights and exemptions and support mob mentality to shun and ruin people who aren't 100% on board with whatever ridiculous nonsense they are pushing. They have become the Christian Right of yesteryear and because they have ruined many franchises in entertainment we see how awful it is to have people like that decide what can and can't be made.

AnimeGirlConnoisseur

kiwifarms.net
That won't necessarily be a bad thing. If it's anything we may probably shun people who think with extremes like the Far-Left or Alt-Right if society actually improves at some point in the future.

The problem is the Far-Left are demanding unreasonable rights and exemptions and support mob mentality to shun and ruin people who aren't 100% on board with whatever ridiculous nonsense they are pushing. They have become the Christian Right of yesteryear and because they have ruined many franchises in entertainment we see how awful it is to have people like that decide what can and can't be made.
What you don't understand is that if the Overton Window shifts to the left then the far left of today become normal. The trend of the past 20 years has been that Overton Window shifts to the left. The far-left will become the center left and a new group of crazies will take their place.
You are correct, but in the grand scheme of things, what's the difference?

InsolentGaylord

kiwifarms.net
What you don't understand is that if the Overton Window shifts to the left then the far left of today become normal. The trend of the past 20 years has been that Overton Window shifts to the left. The far-left will become the center left and a new group of crazies will take their place.
It could shift to the right for whatever reason too. It's impossible to tell.

GenderCop

Friendly neighborhood gender cop
kiwifarms.net
my wife thought i was carrying on like an idiot over this, until the genealogy commercials for Ancestry.com (etc) started saying "i found my ancestor who crusaded against blahblah so now I know where I get my love of social justice!" ... in an Ancestry.com ad, of all things.
she finally understood it was a blight, but only when it came for her stuff.

likewise, it will be when they come for ppl's favorite things, that they will get mad.

not too sure about this NASCAR thing, banning the confederate flags outright.
i don't know what will happen, i can't imagine Talladega or Darlington with no confederate flags. (i don't think i could even find my way there without them.) are they going to arrest old redneck great-grandparents in their SUVs for waving cheapie stars-and-bars from their rolled up windows? will the (omnipresent) small flags get arrested before the huge ones the size of football-fields? or will it depend on if someone snitches on you? how will they enforce this? will it hold up in court?

i am astounded they went this far, but not really. its like if a bunch of rednecks went into a hip hop event & started telling them they couldn't use misogynist language in songs anymore.

how do you suppose that would go over?

Super Colon Blow

Sucks and blows at the same time!
kiwifarms.net
The far left eats its own. It is already crashing and burning. No one but no one is cancel proof. Everyone can sooner or later be deplatformed, fired, etc and I think it's nearing critical mass if it hasn't already.

And yes, if the USA votes for Trump again, I think that will be the death knell for SJW bullshit. Not instantly, but the backlash is gathering strength. Reasonable people are absolutely fucking sick of it.

jje100010001

kiwifarms.net
IMO the moment when it dies is when the fear turns into mockery.

Seattle's CHAZ provided a lot of the latter off the boot, but things like the ongoing cancel culture and BLM still are firmly in the former.

Agreed that Trump's reelection would indicate another refutation of PC-SJW culture. Probably not enough to kill it, but enough to keep it from completely consuming the federal government itself.

AnimeGirlConnoisseur

kiwifarms.net
The far left eats its own. It is already crashing and burning. No one but no one is cancel proof. Everyone can sooner or later be deplatformed, fired, etc and I think it's nearing critical mass if it hasn't already.

And yes, if the USA votes for Trump again, I think that will be the death knell for SJW bullshit. Not instantly, but the backlash is gathering strength. Reasonable people are absolutely fucking sick of it.
Nobody seems to care about deplatforming or the left eating their own and people said that Trump getting elected in 2016 would be the end of woke shit, but here we are 4 years later.

Super Colon Blow

Sucks and blows at the same time!
kiwifarms.net
Nobody seems to care about deplatforming or the left eating their own and people said that Trump getting elected in 2016 would be the end of woke shit, but here we are 4 years later.
Yeah people care, but those are overwhelmingly members of the general public. We need people with power over it to care, that's the problem. Right now those are all capitulating in fear of losing their power/profits. Remember the huge uproar when James Damore got fired? It was a wakeup call for many. It's more a matter of getting people who can make a difference to care and take action as opposed to only people like us. The left is in fact more unhinged than before, going back to the other person's comment of giving them enough rope to hang themselves. I am not what anyone would call an optimist, but I absolutely cannot see this continuing indefinitely. I may be geriatric by the time there is widespread improvement.

Syaoran Li

Totally Radical Dude
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
True, but I also think just as many people predicted a Trump win would galvanize the woke left and make them go even more batshit insane.

Like I said, the elite corporate big shots and the DNC have been operating on the assumption that 2016 was an aberration and a complete and total fluke. Bernie Sanders' unexpected rise in those primaries and Hillary narrowly winning the popular vote probably reinforced the idea that they had to double and triple down on all the woke shit so more young people would vote and they could retain their total control.

Problem is that they have not fully realized that wokeness is part of why Trump won in the first place, and their insanity and unchecked TDS and cancel culture have more or less made them overplay their hand multiple times.

Under Obama, they did the slow frog boil tactic of incremental shifts and it worked quite well but then Trump won and it threw everything into a tailspin.

The "Blue Wave" of 2018 turned out to be a light blue splash where the Dems were able to get a majority in the House, but the Senate still remained firmly in Republican control.

The Kavanaugh hearings were an utter shit show, and now Trump and McConnell are going out of their way to stack the federal judiciary against them, since activist judges were a big part of the progressive strategy.

Now woke culture is increasingly viewed with contempt, even if people are afraid to voice it, the candidate opposing Trump is a senile old rapist who is more or less an empty vessel for the DNC and is a total dud of a candidate who makes Mitt Romney look like Augustus Caesar in terms of charisma and a loyal base.

Meanwhile, major cities are burning and people are increasingly fed up even if they won't say it out loud at the moment.

A Trump win in 2020 is going to deal a heavily blow to wokeness even if it doesn't kill it outright, and they will cut the line on the SJW's for pragmatic reasons.

Thanks to COVID-19 and so many woke flops, I'd expect a lot of these corporations to dial back the woke shit or drop it completely so they can recoup their financial losses and regain the trust of the public in the event of a Trump win, especially if gains are made in the House. At that point, there will be no choice but to admit it's not a mere fluke.

You can't push a narrative effectively if nobody's paying any attention to it, and if Trump wins and the neoliberals cut the line on Antifa and BLM now that they've become too much of a liability, SJW culture will disappear.

Probably not instantaneously, but within a couple of years or so after the election is over and done with.

If Biden wins, they'll keep clamping down since it will come across as validating their entire strategy, especially since Biden is a dud who really can't win an election on his own and would be perma-fucked in 2020 were it not for COVID-19 and the BLM riots.

But if Trump wins, they'll retreat and recoup their losses as best they can while they plan for the next round of the culture wars, and chances are some new group of moral guardians will pop up and this whole cycle will begin again.

All this has happened before and it will happen again.
Winter does not last forever. Spring comes, snows melt.

The Twitter commies may say it's a threat and hate speech, but it's a simple fact.

Snows always melt

Gar For Archer

kiwifarms.net
Change doesn’t happen in a day. This kind of sweeping social change happens over the course of DECADES. Today’s SJW menace is the culmination of something that’s been building up since the late 90’s to early 2000’s that reached its boiling point in 2016.

the span of 10 years from 2015-2025 will be an awkward transitionary period and I think we’re going to see some big changes in the next 10-20 years as a result of fallout from the inevitable collapse of the Woke Left. The one thing that’s nearly guaranteed to happen regardless of who’s in power is the popping of the college loan bubble, which will lead to a radical restructuring of academia.

There’s no use hoping for change to come in 1-2 years. But I do think that in the long run, the woke left is NOT sustainable and that they are getting closer to burning themselves out by the day.

Tags
None