Is Modern Social Justice a Cult? - Equality to Extremism

JambledUpWords

Y’all are attracted to me, lez be real here
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The BITE model isn’t even a good indicator. Many of the items, such as ones controlling how you dress and what you can and cannot say is pretty much what any company you work for does already. No matter what institution you join, there will be some standards given for behavior (since any institution requires standards in order to create group cohesion).

Additionally, most of the points are pretty subjective. Steve Hassan, the creator of the BITE model doesn’t even give a scale of reference to determine whether or not something is a cult (such as a 1-5 rating for each criteria, and what the least to most extreme would look like for each point listed). He also mentions that cult members can work steady 9-5 jobs and have outside hobbies and still not be able to control their thoughts. As far as I’m concerned, Steve Hassan needs to make the requirements more strict because if you have enough of a life outside of whatever group you’re a part of, it shouldn’t be considered a cult.

Finally, what is considered a cult to the average person is also really subjective. Christianity in its earliest days was deemed a cult until it got legalized under Constantine. I can understand why you think social justice is a cult, but if you’re going to make an analysis on it, don’t use the BITE model.

• Informative
Reactions: Tismguide

Ghost of Wesley Willis

Whooping Batman's Ass in Heaven
kiwifarms.net
The only thing that's really cult like is the mentality, but even then that's putting it very simply.

Social Justice is just fortune 500 companies, NGOs, and Government Agencies gaslighting us while using it as an excuse to make their logos rainbow for a month and pass stupid legislation.

Mambamia

kiwifarms.net
You're giving it too much power calling it a cult, when modern social Justice is literally just a Fad.
Every SJW powered phenomenon is just a dumb little fad because "Boomers just don't get it! Ughh!"

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Tismguide

NulWillBecomeTranny

IGGER
kiwifarms.net
You're giving it too much power calling it a cult, when modern social Justice is literally just a Fad.
Every SJW powered phenomenon is just a dumb little fad because "Boomers just don't get it! Ughh!"
You are a small brained moron. You will be completely destroyed by marxism after the boomers die off and will not even understand why.

Syaoran Li

Manager of the Goth IHOP
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Might as well be after they killed God in the West. Something had to fill the void, no society can survive on the theories and will of corruptible men alone. Any nation that lives apart from their God, will crumble, the religious always have more will than the secular.
More or less this.

I can totally get why the West wanted to "kill God" but at the same time, we didn't think of what would happen after we did.

Traditionalist Abrahamic religions are pretty fucking austere with Trad Protestants and hardliner Islam being the most authoritarian of the lot, historically speaking. Only the pacifist Jains and a few Buddhist sub-sects more strict and austere than the Abrahamic traditions.

Naturally, when we were finally fully able to break from that orthodoxy in the post-WWII era, we did. America took a little longer, and the Religious Right fought tooth and nail in the last big culture war only to lose hard and end up creating the Woke Left in the process. The notion of Cultural Christianity was dealt harsh blows by the Enlightenment and the Industrial Revolution, but it was WWI and WWII that killed it. Europe was hit hardest and saw the horrors first hand, which is why they secularized first. America was insulated from the horrors of the World Wars and so it took longer for Cultural Christianity to die out there. But WWII's post-war economic boom and the prosperity it brought also helped in that demise.

Now, we're at a point where Christianity is more of a sincere faith-based religious movement as opposed to one with backing by political or socio-economic power to keep the masses together

The only problem was we didn't find a new or different religion to fill the void (because that would be seen as "LARP'ing/Cultural Appropriation/historical grave robbing" or whatever) and became a de facto atheistic society, which led to the atheistic but also dogmatic Woke Left stepping in to fill the void.

A person can be atheist, but people are religious by their very nature. Even if they're not theistic in their religion of choice, humans always find some sort of sacred ideal to uphold. It's hardwired into our own nature and way of thinking.

Last edited:

tampax pearl

Justice for Riot Pup 2020
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The BITE model isn’t even a good indicator. Many of the items, such as ones controlling how you dress and what you can and cannot say is pretty much what any company you work for does already. No matter what institution you join, there will be some standards given for behavior (since any institution requires standards in order to create group cohesion).

Additionally, most of the points are pretty subjective. Steve Hassan, the creator of the BITE model doesn’t even give a scale of reference to determine whether or not something is a cult (such as a 1-5 rating for each criteria, and what the least to most extreme would look like for each point listed). He also mentions that cult members can work steady 9-5 jobs and have outside hobbies and still not be able to control their thoughts. As far as I’m concerned, Steve Hassan needs to make the requirements more strict because if you have enough of a life outside of whatever group you’re a part of, it shouldn’t be considered a cult.

Finally, what is considered a cult to the average person is also really subjective. Christianity in its earliest days was deemed a cult until it got legalized under Constantine. I can understand why you think social justice is a cult, but if you’re going to make an analysis on it, don’t use the BITE model.
I really liked your critique! I didn't quite think of it that way. The BITE model is most familiar to me which is why I used it. Do you know of any other models that might better represent what's going on currently?

Tismguide

kiwifarms.net
I really liked your critique! I didn't quite think of it that way. The BITE model is most familiar to me which is why I used it. Do you know of any other models that might better represent what's going on currently?
If you never have, I recommend reading up on the Great Awakenings, as well as the Prohibition movement. The True Believer by Eric Hoffman is also a great read for understanding the dynamics of mass movements. These things rise and fall organically, and are often encouraged or suppressed as benefits the powerful.

It doesn't actually take that many people holding an extreme viewpoint to push it because most people will repeatedly split the difference to keep the peace or "compromise". The woke left does this all the time, but they're not the only ones. Hitler wanted to kill all the Jews, most people didn't support killing Jews, so they compromised by killing half the Jews.

• Mad at the Internet
Reactions: Shiversblood

tampax pearl

Justice for Riot Pup 2020
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If you never have, I recommend reading up on the Great Awakenings, as well as the Prohibition movement. The True Believer by Eric Hoffman is also a great read for understanding the dynamics of mass movements. These things rise and fall organically, and are often encouraged or suppressed as benefits the powerful.

It doesn't actually take that many people holding an extreme viewpoint to push it because most people will repeatedly split the difference to keep the peace or "compromise". The woke left does this all the time, but they're not the only ones. Hitler wanted to kill all the Jews, most people didn't support killing Jews, so they compromised by killing half the Jews.
Thank you for the recommendations!! I'm really excited to start reading them. I recall Prohibition; lately I've been focusing on Charles Manson but I completely forgot about those! :heart-full:

schizoid PD

kiwifarms.net
Social Justice is just another name for Cultural Marxism, or Intersectional Feminism. They are all designed around the collective identity overriding the individual identity. Similar to typical Marxism except now, the bourgeoisie group is replaced by the traditional Christian based European culture group, and the proletariat is replaced by any group opposed to them, even Islam. Since European culture has been successful in history, in their theory, it wasn't merit that made them successful, it was oppression. It's also why they hate Christianity, because thats what much of the laws and morals of European culture are founded on.

Cultural Marxists often ignore any evidence against them, which would mean they don't believe in facts or research, so now you are operating on faith based principles.

Sopressata

kiwifarms.net
You don't even need to know the hallmarks of a cult to see that something is up here. From the footwashing to the kneeling it’s bizarre. The way people are forced to isolate and forsake their friends and family who don’t have the same beliefs is classic cult. The shunning that happens when you disagree and start questioning the doctrine. It’s all very cult like.

Fek

What could possibly go wrong?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Short version: It's just a cult of Marxism wrapped up and repackaged with a shiny consoomer label from <trusted brand> on it. It is essentially this story played out for all to see.

SJWism offers no truth and no path to redemption. There are no moral foundations present which one could use to build a successful life for themselves or their offspring. Its leaders are no prophets..no beacons of positive moral guidance. They have no knowledge of what it's like to build something for themselves through personal sacrifice over time. It's all destruction and fickle consumption.

In fact, I'd say it offers nothing more than short hits of euphoria in being part of something they no doubt see as good. There are nothing but lies and destruction to be had upon the altar of the SJW.

I cannot call it a proper religion in good faith. Just comparing it to the religion I know best (Christianity), it'd have to offer something more transcendent than rainbow flags (with an ever-growing amount of stripes), black patches tacked onto product packaging, white skittles..oh, and the destruction of great depositories of culture, urban centers, and monuments to my nations's goddamned history.

Their movement will burn out and be a footnote in history, just like so many of the times before now (with varying degrees of success). We'll get a lull in the action until the next time that the powers that be need to stir up some shit, and then it'll start all over again with some new movement designed and encouraged to nuke national tradition and social cohesion.

It's a shame we're mostly lacking the cojones required to just deal with the problem at its source, but such is human nature.

• Feels
Reactions: ToroidalBoat

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Without a doubt identity politics is a cult. Compare their traits to the likes of a typical cult - many similarities.

American society as a whole has gotten fairly cult-like lately. Probably because of the infestation of identity politics pretty much everywhere, from education to work to entertainment...

Getting tard comed

kiwifarms.net
Is water wet? Does a bear shit in the woods? What other obvious questions can we ask?

The better question is was it always going to play out this way or was it corrupted from Luigi Taparelli d'Azeglio's intent.

Tags
None