Is technology making humans more isolated and is it a bad thing? - Alexa is my mom now

• Registration closed, comedy forum, Internet drama, Sneed, etc.

ToroidalBoat

wat
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Brave New World here we come!
What if computers were outlawed -- like in Dune or Warhammer 40,000 -- after a revolt against a threat from AI?

Mankind is changing in a way that may be irredeemable.
Some want us to move onto post biological machine life. For example, Elon Musk thinks we should become "AI/human symbiotes" to eliminate the threat posed by developing AI.

I don't like that idea.

Last edited:

FitBitch

A housewife!
kiwifarms.net
There is a reason why people with smartphones are my number one priority to avoid—even above non-Catholics.
Do you like... never leave your house then?

What concerns me more is how people can have Alexa, or related devices, in their house like a cool nifty gadget. I see it as a potential means of spying on the public, and people will eat it up.

ALL MY YES! People are so willing to give up basic privacy for novelty and convenience it's fucking scary.

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

This will all end in tears, I just know it.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There is a reason why people with smartphones are my number one priority to avoid—even above non-Catholics. I treat them as a mortal threat. I have found that people with smartphones are one of the most dangerous kinds of people to be around. They rarely tend to tolerate non-politically correct speech, and I simply do not tolerate people that are a threat to my life and liberty. They are also some of the most racist people you will ever meet. I say the word nigger very often because I no longer want it to have a racist meaning, but very commonly, people with smartphones will put down their phone for a second in order to threaten you if they hear it. It is counter-productive to whatever terminally stupid agenda they have. Strangely enough, these people have been conditioned to get more angry over a word than anything else, and it is something that I need to discuss at some point in the future. Technology is certainly playing a part in the destruction of our civilization, and we need to be the change that we want to see in this world. But I do not believe that a neo-Luddite revolt against technology will be the solution. Satan is obviously using technology to corrupt and isolate humanity to a degree unprecedented, but Satan can only appeal to transient sensual pleasures. As men become more deeply corrupted and isolated, they will find themselves yearning for purification and interpersonal connection. Only God can appeal to the heart of man, and God does not give up on us.

We will be seeing some very strange things happen in the coming years. We should be watching technology surely, but we should also be watching our neighbors even closer. Mankind is changing in a way that may be irredeemable. And I use the word irredeemable knowing fully well what it means.

Please be a copypasta.

Piss Clam

Squeeze me.
kiwifarms.net
I think we should be worried that nobody is worried. It strikes me as strange that nobody thinks progress can be damaging in any way whatsoever. Any concern over technology is slapped down as closed minded Ludditism, no matter how obviously underdeveloped or pointless it might be.

I've always felt cautioned against the idea of self driving cars and the first day one is let loose on the road, it kills somebody. To think I was only concerned about trucking jobs. Now imagine a person bonding with a piece of talking plastic instead of their own parents whom they view as glorified roommates rather than actual family.

"Alexa is my real mom!"

Parental neglect was an issue before, but now shit like Alexa and Cortana act as median facilitators for it. Not to mention the fact that you can just boss these "AI" around, unlike you could a real person. Goodbye social skills, we'll miss you.

I don't know, man. Robotics will be here in the near future. I worry about slavery. I mean when you think about it.

FitBitch

A housewife!
kiwifarms.net
I miss when FB and smartphones weren't a thing yet.

Back when the Internet was around, but it didn't seem to be making people crazy like it does today.
I think it's inevitable that the more accessible a tool becomes the more it will be a novelty. Before smart phones there were BlackBerrys and those were almost exclusively for very busy business people who needed constant contact with their job. Dial-up used to leave the Internet use minimized in the home because people needed to use the phone.
We like distractions, we need limited access to easy distractions or we just let them take over.

Overcast

Buttmunch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The internet, social media, and technology in general has its place. And can be good when used in moderation, just like anything else.

A lot of people however don't use any of these things in moderation and it lets it consume them. The social isolation and the nature of echo chambers create these groups of people who are by in large not sound in mind or body.

Part of me fears for the future. But I can take solace in knowing that there are people who notice this kind of thing and attempt to avoid being sucked in. Unfortunately, some of these people can probably take advantage of those who've become reliant on technology.

FitBitch

A housewife!
kiwifarms.net
This weekend I went camping. Not RV camping, but sleeping in a tent and spending all day outside and cooking my food over a fire camping.

I think it's important to go out every once in a while and just be away from everything that demands our attention normally. Not just technology but news, politics, entertainment, work.... everything. I always get numb to how overwhelming it is until I get to remove myself from it a bit.