Is the Pinephone any good? -

Never Scored

kiwifarms.net
These phones are theoretically useable, but you might discover that some of the apps, you rely on, require Google services - your local ride hailing service, an app used for accessing services at some event etc.
You should work toward purging that shit from your life anyway. IMO. As time goes on these apps and the data collected will be used to do things like raise your insurance rates and I also think we're headed in the direction of government passing legislation that allows them to track your activity via apps that Apple and Google will preinstall on their phones using the pandemic as a Trojan horse to get the legislation passed, ala the September 11th Attacks. Once you come to rely on these apps, they have you by the balls. If you can hold out you should.

Might as well use a dumb phone.
I do now.

DidYouJustSayThat

Eat the bat soup, bigot.
kiwifarms.net
You should work toward purging that shit from your life anyway. IMO. As time goes on these apps and the data collected will be used to do things like raise your insurance rates and I also think we're headed in the direction of government passing legislation that allows them to track your activity via apps that Apple and Google will preinstall on their phones using the pandemic as a Trojan horse to get the legislation passed, ala the September 11th Attacks. Once you come to rely on these apps, they have you by the balls. If you can hold out you should.

I do now.
Don't care, my convenience and hours saved each week top any down-the-line might-be concerns.

tehpope

Archivist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There are open source replacements for GAPPS. And the app is none the wiser.

NumberingYourState

REAL MEN Fuck Up
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Doesn't Android have a thing where if you delete ALL the google apps (like Captive Portal Login) your phone just gets inherently worse to use? I hope that isn't a gross exaggeration.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: GigaKike

tehpope

Archivist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Doesn't Android have a thing where if you delete ALL the google apps (like Captive Portal Login) your phone just gets inherently worse to use? I hope that isn't a gross exaggeration.
I don't think you can do that stock. I think most of the GAPPS are built in to the rom of most versions of Android. 3rd Party ROMs from like XDA have to have them installed separately since the Licenses for GAPPS prevents people from distributing them or some shit.

• Agree
Reactions: Pargon

Never Scored

kiwifarms.net
There are open source replacements for GAPPS. And the app is none the wiser.
I've used Lineage OS and the apps from F-Droid before, but are you saying there's a way under stock Android to say, trick the Uber app into using Open Map from the F-Droid store?

I have this small Android tablet I use around the house sometimes that's not supported by any custom kernels that I can find and as far as I can tell no exploit has been found to unlock the bootloader. I attempted to degoogle it. I've disabled all google apps and Lenovo apps including the play store and google play services. It still tried to phone home to Google anayltics on occasion so I blocked that at a network level. You can access the play store anonymously through an app called Aurora, but most apps require play services to be enabled and will not work. You can download shit like Newpipe from F-Droid anyway and they're better than the official apps.

The wider issue that Pinephone attempts to address is most phones have their bootloaders locked down like fort knox, so you can't buy a phone and put the software you want on it. I had a Pixel XL at one point that happened to have been originally purchased at Bell that I wanted to put Lineage OS on for example. It turned out the only way to unlock the bootloader was to factory reset the phone, not allow it to connect to any wifi or cellular network during setup, delete a file using an ADB serial connection, then root the phone, unlock the bootloader, install a custom recovery followed by your custom rom. Don't get me wrong, it worked great once I did all that and got Lineage on it, but it's just too much fucking around for the average user.

I think a project along the lines of Fairphone that ditches all the environmental virtue signaling bullshit in favour of a better price point would be a more productive project. Basically I think a $200-300 Android phone using more standard and thus widely supported hardware where the bootloader is unlocked by default that allows you to load custom kernels in the default recovery as you please just like a standard PC would be a better project. We'll see what becomes of Pinephone though. Maybe someone will build a Lineage OS port.

I'm very tempted to buy a Pinebook Pro and mess around with it, but I don't really need one so I find it hard the justify the $200. It's just kind of cool that they're attempting to make completely open source devices.

Look, at the end of the day these devices are made for a certain type of person and if you're the kind of person who uses a bunch of apps on your phone to navigate through life, it's probably not for you.

Last edited:

din_far

kiwifarms.net
Look, at the end of the day these devices are made for a certain type of person and if you're the kind of person who uses a bunch of apps on your phone to navigate through life, it's probably not for you.
> If you want a smartphone, don't get a non-googled android smartphone

It was a similar situation when Android first came out. I remember my friends talking about all the customizing they did on their Droids and me deliberately avoiding that endless time sink by having an iPhone.

But I still pine for a secure and useful phone that is not attached to Apple or Google.

• Disagree
Reactions: Never Scored

Never Scored

kiwifarms.net
> If you want a smartphone, don't get a non-googled android smartphone

It was a similar situation when Android first came out. I remember my friends talking about all the customizing they did on their Droids and me deliberately avoiding that endless time sink by having an iPhone.

But I still pine for a secure and useful phone that is not attached to Apple or Google.
What would you define as a useful phone? What does it have to do?

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Does it have the same water resistance and durability as mainstream phones? Gorilla Glass? Metal/polycarbonate body?
it probably has as good an ability to stick it in a ziplock bag for water resistance

Tags
None