Is There a God? - Lol

Tim Buckley

Suffering
kiwifarms.net
We cannot even grasp the definition of a deity, asking if one is real is pointless because of that.

This entire concept is the result of self-awarness, the idea of eternity/death and our egos combined in a generational memetic clusterfuck as old as our species.

The proper way to attempt to answer this question is by putting our ego aside by relizing we'll soon stop exisitng and then admitting we won't be part of anything bigger just because we wanna feel special.

Even if there was either an afterlife, reicarnation or "soul recycling" as some might believe (which by themselves are already a huge stretch), even then this wouldn't be "us" but segmented leftovers of whatehver our former selves were composed of """""beyond matter""""" since the memories, experiences and character that define us as individuals and our beloved consciousness will rot away when we expire and there's more than enough scientific facts to know this certainly (Just read how memories work and brain funcion overall).

Then after we stop self-inserting ourselves on a divine fan-fiction, we can realize that even multiversal omnipotence is too low of a concept for divinity and still get trapped in an infinite conceptual vortex.

tl;dr: We can't even know what is a "god" so it's pointless to think if one exists but we still do like tards because of our ego.

We cannot even grasp the definition of a deity, asking if one is real is pointless because of that.
tl;dr: We can't even know what is a "god" so it's pointless to think if one exists but we still do like tards because of our ego.
Why can't we grasp the definition of a thing we made up? Of course we can. We made it up! We made up "god" and "diety", they mean a thing that is whatever it needs to be (or not be) to accomplish whatever thing (or prevent it) without standard human limitations. It's a very flexible thing, so you can't nail it down, but at the same time it's pretty simple. It's like "magic". By its very nature it's not understandable, but that's because we've defined it as such. It's not real anyway.

It's kind of like the old riddle. A person says "I am lying". Are they lying or telling the truth? It's impossible to answer, if they're lying then they're telling the truth, if they're telling the truth they're lying. A deeper look would say the statement is invalid on its own, so of course you can't determine if it's true or false. Garbage in, garbage out.

That's god, God, and any other diety. By definition they don't make sense, so of course we can't make sense of them. We fully grasp these concepts, they mean whatever we want them to mean. Part of their definition is "Incomprehensible". It's like saying something is a 5 sided square, then declaring it divine because such a thing doesn't make sense.

queerape

All Kinds of Gorillaz
kiwifarms.net
I personally believe in God, because I feel that's what's best for me and my life experience is conducive to there being a God. I don't think this is true for everyone though, and some people can get by ok without it, and I respect that.

Tim Buckley

Suffering
kiwifarms.net
That's god, God, and any other diety. By definition they don't make sense, so of course we can't make sense of them. We fully grasp these concepts, they mean whatever we want them to mean. Part of their definition is "Incomprehensible". It's like saying something is a 5 sided square, then declaring it divine because such a thing doesn't make sense.
The issue with the ontological definition of God is the fact that we use it to define something that by nature is infinitely beyond our potential and capabilties to understand (unlike a 5 sided square in which you could get around with quantum physics), this is interesting in a way of recognizing there is knowledge and facts that we're (and will always be) too limited to understand (worse than goldfish facing nuclear science) but at the same time being unable to properly conceptualize it for the same reason.

While it's genesis seams rather simple (multi-millenia old tribal manifestations on all cultures) due the fact it comes from our insatiable thirst of causal definitions and the human exclusive sense of eternity, it's meaning was created to surpass all possible levels of philosphical or scientific grasp, just out of the eariest less polished human brains.

The difference between true divinity and magic is that one can have a stable set of rules (no matter how crazy they are) for example, all the gods in religion, mythology and fiction are arguable "magical beings" while a true deity cannot be conceptualized or defined in any human way possible, it is the imaginary example of reaching the end of our imaginary potential which is overwhelming and facisnating at the same time.

Could a game depelover be consider a God of a video game they have absolute control over? If God is real could they believe in another more powerful God themselves? Is divinity nothing more than power tiers and thus a dimentional superior being should be considered a deity? What could be so big, that it's composed of units of infinity?

The definition of a true deity is a paradox on itself, and it's humanly impossible to solve, that's why I think it's pointless to even consider the existance of "God" unless you limit it with several arbitrary "magical" conditions for "practical" objectives as people have been doing since ever. But then you're an easily disproved fool.

AnOminous

I'm not mad at anyone, honest.
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Could a game depelover be consider a God of a video game they have absolute control over? If God is real could they believe in another more powerful God themselves? Is divinity nothing more than power tiers and thus a dimentional superior being should be considered a deity? What could be so big, that it's composed of units of infinity?
I'd say no, although if the inhabitants of that game were complex enough to be conscious, it might look that way superficially. The game developer may have created the game world, but he didn't do it from scratch. He's doing it with a computer he didn't create, probably using tools he didn't create, and even if he had created both of those, he created them both from matter that already existed, bound by laws of physics he didn't create either.

Any true "god" in the sense usually meant when people use that word would start from zero and be the cause before which no other existed.

The issue with the ontological definition of God is the fact that we use it to define something that by nature is infinitely beyond our potential and capabilties to understand (unlike a 5 sided square in which you could get around with quantum physics), this is interesting in a way of recognizing there is knowledge and facts that we're (and will always be) too limited to understand (worse than goldfish facing nuclear science) but at the same time being unable to properly conceptualize it for the same reason.

While it's genesis seams rather simple (multi-millenia old tribal manifestations on all cultures) due the fact it comes from our insatiable thirst of causal definitions and the human exclusive sense of eternity, it's meaning was created to surpass all possible levels of philosphical or scientific grasp, just out of the eariest less polished human brains.

The difference between true divinity and magic is that one can have a stable set of rules (no matter how crazy they are) for example, all the gods in religion, mythology and fiction are arguable "magical beings" while a true deity cannot be conceptualized or defined in any human way possible, it is the imaginary example of reaching the end of our imaginary potential which is overwhelming and facisnating at the same time.

The definition of a true deity is a paradox on itself, and it's humanly impossible to solve, that's why I think it's pointless to even consider the existance of "God" unless you limit it with several arbitrary "magical" conditions for "practical" objectives as people have been doing since ever. But then you're an easily disproved fool.
Look, if you don't want to think about it just say you don't want to think about it. God is a human invention, so by definition he's only as mysterious and incomprehensible as we say he is.

A 5 sided square can't exist, that's the point, it's not a square at that point. But people don't act like I've uncovered something deeply mystical and incomprehensible when I say "5 sided square".

God is the 5 sided square because someone's parents got sick of them asking "Why?"

"Some things just aren't explainable you little shit now go to bed".

• Dumb
Reactions: Vrakks

Vlad the Inhaler

Wallachian Usurper/Fashion Impresario
kiwifarms.net
Okay, if you don't know what Wide Right, Wide Right 2, and Wide Right 3 are, you're gonna need to look that up before going any further.

Okay, so, what those three things prove is that God exists. There is no possibility that Bobby Bowden could have been fucked that hard the exact same way *three* times except by divine intervention. God exists, and it is not right to be a Seminoles fan.

• Feels
Reactions: Vrakks

Snuckening

kiwifarms.net
If there is a god, he's deliberately set up the world in a way where there's no overt, undeniable proof of existance- in fact, the best scientific evidence points to him probably not existing (or at least to him not needing to exist to explain the universe)

He's god- so he could have easily made a world where his presence was obvious and undeniable. But we don't have that, so logically it's either (1) there's no god. Or (2) there is a god, but he wants us to think he doesn't exist, so either I'm right in claiming god deoesn't exist, or I'm obeying His will by not believing in him.
rule 63 Pascals wager ftw:neckbeard:

The standard religious argument about the lack of overt proof- that God wants us to have faith in His existance... for some reason... makes no sense to me. Why would he do that? He wants us to not believe the scientific evidence that He created, which basically says there's no need to assume a god- that the universe can be explained without one?

The Christian bible says God is all about truth, and that Satan is the deciever. But the evidence says that if the bible is true and the Christian God exists, He must be a deciever (He's either lying in the bible saying "young Earth, Earth-centric universe, etc", or He's deceptively set up fake fossils made to seem millions of years old, somehow faked the non-Earth-centric universe we see through telescopes, satellites,etc).

And from what I've seen, the same is true for all major religions (they all say stuff that science later contradicted, and they all claim their god is all about being virtuous and honest), so while I'm still kinda-sorta agnostic about the general concept of god, the specific claims of specific religions make them much easier for me to discount, personally.

(Not to shit on anyone else's beliefs. Thats just my personal thought process. I don't usually talk about this shit because i respect other peoples right to believe what they want- tbh i kinda envy people with real religious faith. And also i don't want to sound like a neckbeard atheist redditor :late:)

[JFC re-reading the morning after, and DAMN. This is 100% the mostly deeply autistic of all the vast swathes of deeply autistic shit i ever wrote. But tbh this whole thread is pure autism so whatever. Enjoy, faggots.]

Last edited:

ArnoldPalmer

kiwifarms.net
I haven't had sleep in three days, so this may come off as completely inarticulate.
To make it short and sweet; Personally, I believe there is a god, or godlike intelligence responsible for making the ingredients for this universe fall into place. I don't necessarily think that this 'god' is any one god from any one religion, nor do I see it as an old man living in the clouds who poofed everything into existence in a week, before having a nap. I know that I could easily be wrong, but there are certain elements to what we refer to as corporeal existence, that just do not compute if you look at them with stoic rationality and logic.

Science can only provide the answers to so many questions, and of course, by science, I mean actual science, and not the many variations of what I like to call "Reddit Science", "Pop Science", or "Science as a Religion (Esoteric Fedoraism)". At the end of the day, there are some things that we can simply never know, never quantify or qualify, and many of those things fall under the category of the stuff humanity wants to know the most.

I think, therefore I am, but that's only part of it. Why am I? Why do I know that I am? Why am I, me? I could have been born as a sea cucumber or a moth or some shit, but instead I was born as a human being, the apex predator of intelligence on earth. Even being born a human, why do I experience my existence? For all anyone cares, every human being alive (and by extension, all life) could have just been, for lack of a better phrase, "software-driven". We could have all been on autopilot, and still react to stimuli the same as we do now, but without experiencing anything in the first-person, much like a computer with AI. AI does not feel, have a sense of self, or experience anything, it's just a dynamic means of input and output. If we were nothing more than accidental cosmic happenstance, then why and how would that generate something that can be here in both 'spirit' and mind? We can't know if other forms of life are the way we are. Do animals experience their existence, or do they simply exist as AI would? Do anecephalic humans, like Gwen Hartley, or ebola babies, have a consciousness? Sure, you could just say that consciousness is an illusion of the phaneron that exists to keeps us breeding, or something like that, but that's just as speculative as the point I'm trying to make.

For that reason, I consider the sense of self to be the most important factor in why I believe what I do. Experiencing my own existence doesn't make any fucking sense to me, and I don't know why or how a cosmic accident would be able to do a thing like that, and science has no answers for what consciousness is, and likely never will. It's the final frontier of knowledge.

Shit's fuckin weird. tl;dr god is a real cause existentialism and I should probably stop taking psychedelics one day.

Last edited:
A

AF 802

kiwifarms.net
Religion is a joke.

Reading about all the crazy fundies who'd rather abuse those who can't help it (i.e, the braindead who're kept on life support because it's 'God's will' instead of dying peacefully) is proof enough to me that if there even is, he's a cruel, cruel man. At this point, science on the world's existence sounds better than spiritual beliefs.

• Feels
Reactions: Slap47
I haven't had sleep in three days, so this may come off as completely inarticulate.... I know that I could easily be wrong, but there are certain elements to what we refer to as corporeal existence, that just do not compute if you look at them with stoic rationality and logic...

I think, therefore I am, but that's only part of it. Why am I? Why do I know that I am? Why am I, me? I could have been born as a sea cucumber or a moth or some shit, but instead I was born as a human being, the apex predator of intelligence on earth. Even being born a human, why do I experience my existence? For all anyone cares, every human being alive (and by extension, all life) could have just been, for lack of a better phrase, "software-driven". We could have all been on autopilot, and still react to stimuli the same as we do now, but without experiencing anything in the first-person, much like a computer with AI. AI does not feel, have a sense of self, or experience anything, it's just a dynamic means of input and output. If we were nothing more than accidental cosmic happenstance, then why and how would that generate something that can be here in both 'spirit' and mind? We can't know if other forms of life are the way we are. Do animals experience their existence, or do they simply exist as AI would? Do anecephalic humans, like Gwen Hartley, or ebola babies, have a consciousness? Sure, you could just say that consciousness is an illusion of the phaneron that exists to keeps us breeding, or something like that, but that's just as speculative as the point I'm trying to make.

For that reason, I consider the sense of self to be the most important factor in why I believe what I do. Experiencing my own existence doesn't make any fucking sense to me, and I don't know why or how a cosmic accident would be able to do a thing like that, and science has no answers for what consciousness is, and likely never will. It's the final frontier of knowledge.

Shit's fuckin weird. tl;dr god is a real cause existentialism and I should probably stop taking psychedelics one day.
What makes you think "consciousness" is not simply the experience you feel when you do what you do? Just because you feel that "you" are something more than the meat you're made of, and the decisions feel like you're choosing, rather than performing some calculation, doesn't mean those subjective feelings reflect reality.

Science does have answers for what consciousness is. We can tell from which parts of the brain are active if a person is a awake or not, or even to some degree how they're thinking about something. True, we don't understand it well enough to actually replicate it, but we know it well enough to do some pretty interesting experiments. Consciousness is the process that goes on in your brain when you're doing stuff.

So I'd say consciousness is inevitable for humans, regardless of where they came from. Part of being able to solve complicated problems (at least our method) seems to involve "consciousness". Who knows what being a computer feels like to a computer? Have you ever been a computer? Our conciousness is a feedback loop of our mind considering its own actions, as part of the larger purpose of solving some problem (Like, what do I eat).
Maybe conciousness is just a separate little piece of hardware, similar to a graphics card on a PC, so our brain can send certain complicated tasks off to be solved while it keeps the heart beating and such.

My point isn't to say "You're wrong" but rather to say that I'm not so sure that you can say with certainty that conciousness is some unique thing that can't be understood. It's definitely hard though, as we have to... you know... use our concious mind to think about it. Whether conciousness is an illusion or not is hard to say, although the fact that people, on a large scale, are pretty predictable tells me it is.

Slap47

Hehe xd
kiwifarms.net
I am 100% committed, beyond any doubt, to my personal belief that there is no god, heaven, hell etc. That being said, I do respect people who have faith.
I don't really see how it can be respected. They believe something for no reason and use that belief to force their morality on everybody. Even the liberal religious people who have no scriptural basis do this.

As far as I'm concerned, the apathetic religious people enable these people by allowing them more % points on the census to point at to justify their madness.

KiwiKritter

Null’s degenerate spy
kiwifarms.net
As a agnostic, my view on it is simply I don’t know. If there is a god, he must work in some pretty strange and ambiguous ways, but perhaps my human brain can’t fathom a gods decisions. I just live my life and try to go by my own morals; AKA don’t be a dick.

Reactions: Snuckening
Are you equally agnostic toward the existence of Zeus, Odin, Vishnu, or Baal? Or just the Judao-Christian god? Or is it more 'some vaguely divine thing, whatever that means'?

I ask because I find the "who am I to say there's no god" people don't usually have the same reservations about whoever the druids worshipped, or the aztecs. They'll laugh at the idea of those gods, but they aren't willing to dismiss the other god.

diophantines

nice sharingan you’ve got there
kiwifarms.net
God, if it exists, will continue to exist or not exist whether or not I believe in it. My belief changes nothing. Therefore, the concept of God is irrelevant to me.

Vrakks

Please... I go by Gold Diamond now.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
ITT euphorics are euphoric and the religious are religious over a question that's been asked for millenia

• Autistic
God, if it exists, will continue to exist or not exist whether or not I believe in it. My belief changes nothing. Therefore, the concept of God is irrelevant to me.
Except if it's the christian god who very much is affected by whether or not you believe in him. He might fucking smite you for not believing in him.

I've been not believing in him for a long time, and have yet to be smitten, but you nev

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino