Is There a God? - Lol

White bubblegum

Blow me
kiwifarms.net
Except if it's the christian god who very much is affected by whether or not you believe in him. He might fucking smite you for not believing in him.

I've been not believing in him for a long time, and have yet to be smitten, but you nev
The smiting comes after death when you go to hell for not believing.

Either give up soveriegnity of yourself to the blind worship of a tyrant or burn for eternity for daring to use the free will and sapience you were given. You can't win.

• Agree
Reactions: Fagatron

diophantines

nice sharingan you’ve got there
kiwifarms.net
Except if it's the christian god who very much is affected by whether or not you believe in him. He might fucking smite you for not believing in him.

I've been not believing in him for a long time, and have yet to be smitten, but you nev
Who got you: press 1 for candlejack, 2 for g

Reactions: Lysol

KiwiKritter

Null’s degenerate spy
kiwifarms.net
Are you equally agnostic toward the existence of Zeus, Odin, Vishnu, or Baal? Or just the Judao-Christian god? Or is it more 'some vaguely divine thing, whatever that means'?

I ask because I find the "who am I to say there's no god" people don't usually have the same reservations about whoever the druids worshipped, or the aztecs. They'll laugh at the idea of those gods, but they aren't willing to dismiss the other god.
Actually when I think about it, I really don’t know about those gods either. I mean maybe Ancient civilizations were on to something, some had better ways of doing things than we do now. Any god could exist, just like any of them can be false.

Lysol

99.9% Bacteria and virus free.
kiwifarms.net
I don't know if god is real or not, but I do have a tendency to get pretty religious if there's a tornado warning in my area so who am I to say.

I think that if he/she/it does exist though, it'll most likely be one of the outcomes of the old problem of evil thought experiment.

I have less trouble buying the Aztec idea of bloodthirsty, malignant gods because it does a better job explaining the world that actually exists.
I've always figured the Ra worshippers were onto something. Our life does depend on the sun, the sun is something you can see like every day. That already puts them WAY ahead of many other religions.

Or, the early old testament version of god where he's in competition with various other gods (Baal is mentioned quite a bit). There, god is less omnipotent all controlling diety and more tantrumming jealous weirdo who is bad at communicating and prone to fits of insane rage he later regrets. That one fits our world better than the reimagined more detatched new testament god.

JustFuckinaDude

Psy?
kiwifarms.net
Or, the early old testament version of god where he's in competition with various other gods (Baal is mentioned quite a bit). There, god is less omnipotent all controlling diety and more tantrumming jealous weirdo who is bad at communicating and prone to fits of insane rage he later regrets. That one fits our world better than the reimagined more detatched new testament god.
I read a book about this not too long ago, called "The Unseen Realm" by Michael Heiser. It certainly makes a lot more sense than having a singular deity; Yahweh being the President/CEO/whatever and having a board of advisors/subordinate managers and so on.

I know I'm a bit late to this thread's party, but I believe there's a "supreme" God, probably pretty close to the loving one of the New Testament (unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with other religions to make a statement about them). A bit of powerleveling, I have a daughter, and I like to think my feelings for her are the closest I'll ever get to knowing how God would look at us; sometimes having to let us make our own mistakes, letting us get hurt to learn a lesson, but still loving us and being too eager to help if asked.

On that same track, we probably can't understand why He has us go through things in the same way that my halfling can't understand why I make her go to bed or eat healthy. Makes sense to me, anyway.

Fagatron

ArchFedora
kiwifarms.net
I personally think no. But if there is one, it certainly cannot be like the anthromorphized ones like Yahweh and Allah. I mean, for the most basic of breakdowns...

>Let's say God, specifically the Abrahamic one who people usually mean, exists.
>He's omnipotent, omnibenevolent and omniscient.
-An omnipotent being has the power to prevent that evil from coming into existence.
-An omnibenevolent being would want to prevent all evils.
-An omniscient being knows every way in which evils can come into existence, and knows every way in which those evils could be.
>A being who knows every way in which an evil can come into existence, who is able to prevent that evil from coming into existence, and who wants to do so, would being all good be compelled by his own nature to prevent the existence of that evil.
>If there exists an omnipotent, omnibenevolent and omniscient God, then no evil exists.
>Evil exists tho.

If there is a God, he (or she) is by necessecity either malevolent, impotent, capable of making irreparable mistakes or some combination of the three. And just like the Hellenic Gods of old who match that description, is there much reason to call a creature like that God outside of fear or trying to win favours from it?

I personally think no. But if there is one, it certainly cannot be like the anthromorphized ones like Yahweh and Allah. I mean, for the most basic of breakdowns...

>Let's say God, specifically the Abrahamic one who people usually mean, exists.
>He's omnipotent, omnibenevolent and omniscient.
-An omnipotent being has the power to prevent that evil from coming into existence.
-An omnibenevolent being would want to prevent all evils.
-An omniscient being knows every way in which evils can come into existence, and knows every way in which those evils could be.
>A being who knows every way in which an evil can come into existence, who is able to prevent that evil from coming into existence, and who wants to do so, would being all good be compelled by his own nature to prevent the existence of that evil.
>If there exists an omnipotent, omnibenevolent and omniscient God, then no evil exists.
>Evil exists tho.

If there is a God, he (or she) is by necessecity either malevolent, impotent, capable of making irreparable mistakes or some combination of the three. And just like the Hellenic Gods of old who match that description, is there much reason to call a creature like that God outside of fear or trying to win favours from it?
Probably not outside of fear, but if he can smite your ass, that's a good enough reason.

Oscar Wildean

Bitchiest bitch in town.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
At this point I can't say that I don't believe in a god. I'm not religious anymore, but I still pray every night. At this point I guess I could say that I pray in case there is a god or because it relieves my worries when I do it. Maybe I'm praying to a god, maybe I'm praying to nothing to make myself feel better.

• Feels
Reactions: Slap47

Solo Wing Pixy

Yo Buddy, Still Alive?
kiwifarms.net
The way I see it God existing makes more sense to me then our universe coming into being as a result of some extremely random and unlikely event like the big bang.

Sprig of Parsley

Damnation dignified
kiwifarms.net
no lol
god don't real

Right, ok, let's turn this into an effortpost. I do not believe that God as envisioned by the Abrahamic faiths exists. There might be some higher power, but he does not fall into the triumvirate of omnipotence, omniscience and omnibenevolence, because I have actually seriously thought about this and the world as it has existed for recorded history doesn't look like it's seen the guiding hand of a loving, knowing and powerful god. Ever.

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: Sinners Sandwich

Basil II

National Opthalmologist of Bulgaria
kiwifarms.net
Yes, and he exists inside but is not bound by the "Universe"'s laws, is simulataneously Omnipotent, Omnipresent, and Omnibelovent, and well beyond any human understanding, part of my faith comes from how wacky stuff gets when you look too deep into Physics, already mentioned before in the thread but stuff like the golden ratio shows some stucture to the universe, not to mention the clusterfuck that is "Conciousness" and how little we know about how it works scientifically. (See also, the Fermi Paradox)

I'd like to consider myself a Christian though I'm not baptized, very attracted to Eastern Orthodoxy (see my avatar) and it's Mysticism and how it doesn't pretend to have all the answers like Catholicsm and Protestantism,
I used to be a :neckbeard: when I was younger so I'm already familiar with their arguments (anyone who disregards Christianity by taking the Bible literally knows nothing about Theology) tbh I think most people's issues with Christianity comes from dealing with Theologically illiterate Protestants who judge others despite being ignorant themselves.

P

PT 522

kiwifarms.net
I expected this thread to be a lot more euphoric than it actually is

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino