Is this project dead? -

• The site was compromised. (Initial announcement) (What to do)
    Okay, now attachments should be working and the site should be very fast. If not, report it.

Forever Sunrise

Avatar? I don't need no stinkin' avatar.
kiwifarms.net
I still use the wiki occasionally. The Wu articles in particular are genuinely excellent. I just wish there was some kind of basic index that actually gave you a list of cows that actually have pages somewhere. If there is one, I've never seen it.

• Agree
Reactions: PantsOfDesire

PantsOfDesire

Celebrating you
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I still use the wiki occasionally. The Wu articles in particular are genuinely excellent. I just wish there was some kind of basic index that actually gave you a list of cows that actually have pages somewhere. If there is one, I've never seen it.
I think we could definitely rework the front page - it's stuck in the deagle era. This page gives you a decent entry point in to the wiki: https://lolcow.wiki/wiki/Category:Lolcow_articles

Any thoughts on how we might make the entry page a bit more useable? Maybe the front page should explain lolcows as a concept and present some kind of entry point to various categories of lolcows?

Zim

Facebook District Manager
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've been meaning to look at @Darwin Watterson's article on Aaron McCluske, but I've got to be honest I don't know a goddamned thing about editing Wiki-style websites. :c
I had no idea either. Every time I wasn't sure how to do something I just hit edit in other pages that had what I wanted to do already done so I could see what the codes were. It looks a lot more complicated then it actually is. ;)

PantsOfDesire

Celebrating you
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I had no idea either. Every time I wasn't sure how to do something I just hit edit in other pages that had what I wanted to do already done so I could see what the codes were. It looks a lot more complicated then it actually is. ;)
A good thing about wikis is that you can't really balls it up, as everything can be reverted or fixed. What I'd suggest to people new to wikis is to create a sandbox.

You can do this by putting in the following URL, where XX is your username:

https://lolcow.wiki/wiki/User:XX/sandbox

e.g.

https://lolcow.wiki/wiki/User:PantsOfDesire/sandbox

So long as you don't add categories, you can do whatever you want in a sandbox page without hurting anything else. Maybe go to a simple enough page and copy its source to your sandbox and experiment with editing. Here's an example you could use: https://lolcow.wiki/wiki/User:PantsOfDesire/sandbox

Note that this example includes the basics of a wiki article, such as having sections, links, an image, and a reference. When working on a new article you're probably better off creating it in a sandbox, as this'll stop others from going in and making edits that'll conflict with yours.

My understanding is that we're aiming for quality, a specific style of writing, and for facts. The actual content is way more important than knowing how to render it as a wiki page, and this forum here seems like a good place for getting some help if you have good content but are unsure of how to put it in a wiki.

TrippinKahlua

From RC Enthusiast to T-Shirt Brand.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This project would have interested me a long time ago if it documented things about Deagle Nation when it had the chance.

Thus, Jace to me was nothing more than an Eternally Angry "Commander" who, despite being furvorently against terrorism, wasn't that smart to realize the current POTUS actually sympathises with the Islamic terrorists. I was so worried Jjan would get in trouble.

Darwin Watterson

Custom titles are for nerds
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think this project has a lot of potential, but its main problem is a lack of editors. Aside from @Jaimas, @Zim, and myself, the Wiki really has no regular contributors. Any time I mention the Lolcow Wiki in my posts, I always make a point of encouraging more people to edit it.

Maybe I'm a wikisperg, but I really do believe in the project. A lot of people post in this thread, but very few of them actually seem to make edits on the Wiki. I've even seen some people request edits. Instead of that, you should request an account of your own by PMing Null and then make the edit yourself. That'd help the site grow and thrive.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: Jaimas and Holdek

Null

Ooperator
kiwifarms.net
The Wiki has had little growth for two big reasons.
1) It's invite only. You have to be manually created an account. Every single person on the wiki has had their account and password assigned by me.
2) It's not well integrated with anything else.

These are both things I've had plans for dealing with for over a year now, and which will probably see work done towards completing them this month now that I have time.

The first problem is an odd thing to even pose as a problem, because what you'd normally do is just open up registration. I want to go one step beyond and bridge the Kiwi Farms to the Wiki through the back-end. I want users to be able to make their own accounts by just pressing a button, and I want responsibility for actions done on the wiki to be carried over to the forum.

That plan eases into the next, which is how I want to integrate things. By writing a bridge between the codebases of XenForo and MediaWiki I can do things like add a [wiki] BBcode (usage: [wiki]Brianna Wu[/wiki]) that auto-links to the Wiki's article. Users would have Wiki contributions displayed on their profile, and their wiki profile would link back to their forum account. Featured Articles could be linked to the front page like Featured Threads are. All sorts of good stuff becomes possible.

AnOminous

FIST FUCK
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
1) It's invite only. You have to be manually created an account. Every single person on the wiki has had their account and password assigned by me.
Fix that shit!

Just let anyone sign up.

Yeah, most of them will be total morons, but the ones who don't turn out to be useful editors are probably going to be lolcows.

Isn't that kind of the definition of a win-win?

CatParty

Boo
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Fix that shit!

Just let anyone sign up.

Yeah, most of them will be total morons, but the ones who don't turn out to be useful editors are probably going to be lolcows.

No. Then you have morons like @Thundersteam blanking their article all day every day. Invite only. I would even charge for editing privileges

AnOminous

FIST FUCK
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
No. Then you have morons like @Thundersteam blanking their article all day every day. Invite only. I would even charge for editing privileges
Are you saying you'd be the one guy paying attention when Kengle reverts edits on his article about why boiled hamburgers are the best food ever?

Null

Ooperator
kiwifarms.net
Fix that shit!

Just let anyone sign up.

Read what I wrote. I'm going to have the induction process be a button press on the forum.

Donald And The Immigrants

Make America Great Again
kiwifarms.net
Lolcow Wiki is a good idea, ED written with the tone of the CWCki. It's also an affiliated site which is nice.
I hope that activity picks up after integration plans have been implemented.
Aside from the lack of editors, the other problem is that everything is Jace oriented. It feels more like a wiki for Deagle Nation.
I think a new centerpiece is needed, a major autist to fill the role Jace left behind.
Maybe Phil?

Null

Ooperator
kiwifarms.net
Lolcow Wiki is a good idea, ED written with the tone of the CWCki. It's also an affiliated site which is nice.
I hope that activity picks up after integration plans have been implemented.
Aside from the lack of editors, the other problem is that everything is Jace oriented. It feels more like a wiki for Deagle Nation.
I think a new centerpiece is needed, a major autist to fill the role Jace left behind.
Maybe Phil?
It's just very Jace oriented because of a lack of content. That'll even out over time.

I was hoping to have Lolcow "portals" for big names, sort of like Wikipedia's portals. Interested people could setup and participate in these Wiki portals and monitor lolcow pages they care about.

• Agree
Reactions: Darwin Watterson

Holdek

Down to where? All that is down is only my unclit.
kiwifarms.net
@LikeicareKF As someone who has experience with a successful lolcow wiki, do you concur with this analysis?

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino