Is your child a hacker? - Big Brother is watching

JustWhy

Me... Fuggg
kiwifarms.net
If someone is a good hacker, no matter what age, would be hard to find out, just leaves as small evidence as possilble, often obfuscated.
When someone is just '1337 haxx0r', doing dumb and destructive things using that knowledge I would punish it.
Kali Linux could be used for example to test network security, when kid that is into technology is using it right with no harm to others I wouldn't bother.

He Who Points And Laughs

Flavortown Refugee
kiwifarms.net
If someone is a good hacker, no matter what age, would be hard to find out, just leaves as small evidence as possilble, often obfuscated.
When someone is just '1337 haxx0r', doing dumb and destructive things using that knowledge I would punish it.

Kali Linux could be used for example to test network security, when kid that is into technology is using it right with no harm to others I wouldn't bother.
Kali is used by nearly every actual pentester I know (not the macbook using Twitter "hackers"). Anyone can install Kali, but it's not as if they'll know how to use any of the tools properly. Even every skids' favorite suite (metasploit) isn't that useful unless you've done proper enumeration of the target. The Mr Robot effect is also in play, skids watch it and try to emulate.

Virtual machines are used by pretty much everyone I know that works with computers on any level. And discord? That one just wrecked my sides. Time to turn in all of the Internet Bloodsports people for being hackers. They all have their own autistic discord servers.

The Wifi Pineapples are decent, but expensive. I'd be more worried about a kid who knew how to make his own (and would look innocuous) rather than just buying one from Hak5.

But this is the UK we're talking about, and their boomer takes are always quite ridiculous.

REGENDarySumanai

Not So Bad Once You Try It, Right?
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This is fucking stupid. I'm getting flashbacks to the shit about your son being a computer hacker.

I concur with all of this, but I definitely agree on the third part. I have an entire separate laptop that has Kali Linux on it, all in its own bag. I do not use it for anything else except for what it is designed for.

Glad I couldn't help

Ohai!
kiwifarms.net
This shit has been going on for decades. Why does it seem like the average level of computer literacy never increases?
View attachment 1146390
Arguably, it has decreased, especially in young people. Remember the original motivation for the Raspberry Pi was to try and reverse the decline in knowledge of incoming Computer Science students in the UK.

Young Zoomers only know how to use their smartphones for social media and Fortnite, so they are as ignorant of tech as any Boomer out there.

Oglooger

God isn't dead!BUT I'LL GET THAT BASTARD SOME DAY!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
On your mark...grab your controllers PRESS START!!!!
The fact that it's the 2020's and the youth know almost as much about computers as your average boomer makes me kinda sad, but also glad because that means IT will never go out of business.

• Feels
Reactions: Niggernerd

JustWhy

Me... Fuggg
kiwifarms.net
That article has almost 7 years, and nothing really improved from that time.
The fact that it's the 2020's and the youth know almost as much about computers as your average boomer makes me kinda sad, but also glad because that means IT will never go out of business.
yea, thankfully, but on the other side it's just sad, not only computer illiteracy grows, but overall technical illiteracy. There is one problem, that causes this - people don't even want to know basic thing about tech equipment they use.
Back then, my family that has professions nothing to do with electricity or electronics did simple repairs, but now things are often just unrepairable.

People are turning dumb to the level, that replacing fuse is a problem, or even pushing back resettable one. |:(

Coolio55

DON'T CALL LUIGI AT 3AM!! *OMG HE RICKROLLED ME*
kiwifarms.net
On one hand I hate to see the industry I so loved get unashamedly raped by several large corportaions and governments but on the other hand the horrible tower of abstractions is beginning to creak and I can't wait to see this generation's AoHell that abuses the poorly made technology to do fun stuff.

I like the feeling of people IRL implying they're smarter than me before immediately going back to their slave devices they keep in their pocket.

Coolio55

DON'T CALL LUIGI AT 3AM!! *OMG HE RICKROLLED ME*
kiwifarms.net
Remember the original motivation for the Raspberry Pi was to try and reverse the decline in knowledge of incoming Computer Science students in the UK.
Double post but I don't care, I just remembered something FUCKING AMAZING. Might double post in the "Tech that died on the vine" thread.

Fun fact. There was actually a (failed) state sponsored attempt to destroy the PI. Still stopped it from being taught in schools though.

It was called the Micro Bit, it was spearheaded by the BBC and it was the most useless fucking thing imaginable.

Let's go on a tangent for a bit:

New_Brain_IMG_4244.jpg
This is the Grundy Newbrain. It was an 8-bit home computer in the 80's. Without a monitor (most cases) it could only use the built in 16 character display.
It was a piece of shit and completely unsuccessful.

mbit_front_1024x1024.jpg
This is the BBC Micro Bit. No, your eyes aren't decieving you. Those 25 LEDs are not tiny individual characters. This is a single character display. (Not even 8x8)
No, it can't connect to any sort of fucking display either. That's your lot.

There's designed by committee and then there's this.
It's got 2 buttons, GPIO, accelerometer and magnetometer but what the shit are you supposed to do with any of it if you can't actually display anything?

It's as if a computer was designed solely by people who had only vaguely even heard of computers (Not that unlikely given the BBC). People who had just bummed about Apple's website to rip off some phone features to make it popular if the tilt detection is any indicator.

Also, as the final insult it costs around double the PI Zero did. Gotta get them (((fees))).

Oglooger

God isn't dead!BUT I'LL GET THAT BASTARD SOME DAY!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Double post but I don't care, I just remembered something FUCKING AMAZING. Might double post in the "Tech that died on the vine" thread.

Fun fact. There was actually a (failed) state sponsored attempt to destroy the PI. Still stopped it from being taught in schools though.

It was called the Micro Bit, it was spearheaded by the BBC and it was the most useless fucking thing imaginable.

Let's go on a tangent for a bit:

View attachment 1147006
This is the Grundy Newbrain. It was an 8-bit home computer in the 80's. Without a monitor (most cases) it could only use the built in 16 character display.
It was a piece of shit and completely unsuccessful.

View attachment 1147042
This is the BBC Micro Bit. No, your eyes aren't decieving you. Those 25 LEDs are not tiny individual characters. This is a single character display. (Not even 8x8)
No, it can't connect to any sort of fucking display either. That's your lot.

There's designed by committee and then there's this.
It's got 2 buttons, GPIO, accelerometer and magnetometer but what the shit are you supposed to do with any of it if you can't actually display anything?

It's as if a computer was designed solely by people who had only vaguely even heard of computers (Not that unlikely given the BBC). People who had just bummed about Apple's website to rip off some phone features to make it popular if the tilt detection is any indicator.

Also, as the final insult it costs around double the PI Zero did. Gotta get them (((fees))).
sounds like something you could do fuck all with.
can't write down anything, I bet it couldn't even do basic arithmetic.

• Agree
Reactions: Coolio55
Tags
None