isaac asimov - psychohistory

Lemmingwise

Welcome home
kiwifarms.net
Its actually possible I got them confused. The Gods Themselves has been sitting on my shelf for years anyway, so that's still useful info.
I would consider the gods themselves worth rereading. If you're unsure, you can always just read the 2nd part only. First part is earth, second part is aliens, and third part is moon. I never liked the human parts much of that book, but the aliens bit is a proper good mindfuck... and it has interesting analogies with his own life.

In some sense it seems to be about his difficulties with married life as he seperated/tried again, published the book and then divorced and found a new partner that was much like one of the alien characters in some ways. A left em, so to speak.

Glad I couldn't help

Now with edge anime avatar
kiwifarms.net
His short stories were better than his novels and his nonfiction was better than his fiction.

He also did some really great annotations of classic literature like Milton's Paradise Lost and Shakespeare, which he gets practically no credit for because "hurr durr science fiction writer."

And his book on algebra did more to teach me algebra than all of high school algebra.
I loved his histories of Classical Civilization (Greece, Roman Republic, Empire and Byzantium), much better than his fiction, although I did enjoy his last novel, Nemesis.

wylfım

To live a lie, or die in a dream?
kiwifarms.net
This is as objectively incorrect as calling Nietzsche a Nazi. He was New Deal Democrat investigated by the FBI because the Communist Party considered him agreeable, he wasn't a member or proponent.
Dialectal materialism is a Marxian philosophy. Just because he doesn't agree with the political views doesn't change the rest of the philosophy to be non-marxist.

Reactions: NyQuilninja

TaimuRadiu

kiwifarms.net
The point of psychohistory was that it only worked if all people thought the same. Sociological trends are absolutely predictable, after a fashion, but Asimov was very much a SCIENCE! sort of person and, according to one of his memoirs, was literally autistic.

He was an absolutely fantastic author and if it weren't for how his son turned out I'd call him righteous among the Hebrews.

ClickerCar

kiwifarms.net
I think I had to of been around nine or ten when I read his books, like the foundation series. I remember enjoying them, though not enough to now go back and re-read them. From the conversations it seems like there was more to it then I was able to grasp back then.

Maybe, ill have to revisit his stuff now as an adult.

I still have his 'Understanding physics' book, just not any of his others. Now im bummed. As well as not knowing he was jewish apparently. I have tended to separate the person from the work.

I also have the 'science fiction of Isaac Asimov' by Joseph E. which I haven't read. Wondering if anyone has and if I should bother reading it for myself.

AnOminous

do you see what happens
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I still have his 'Understanding physics' book, just not any of his others. Now im bummed. As well as not knowing he was jewish apparently. I have tended to separate the person from the work.
Lol how the fuck could you not know someone named (((Isaac Asimov))) was Jewish?

Also he was an atheist anyway not that that is uncommon among Jewish intellectuals.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's been a while but iirc Psychohistory is basically like the Three Robotic Laws, a plot convenience for a bunch of The Way Things Are Supposed To Go so the plot can do something else?

I love the short stories of the first book (publication order) and increasingly less loved the subsequent ones. After the two partner with the weird attempt at sexing things up I stopped.

Large

kiwifarms.net
science fiction is almost never good as literature. Like fantasy, it's really determined to get in its own way and shit its own pants while the reader observes, helpless
Not really, it's just extremely easy to write a fantasy/sci-fi book with no talent and no experience and have it considered decent/good by most people.
Proof:
Book series written by a 15-year-old boy and published by his parents. 4/5.

ClickerCar

kiwifarms.net
Lol how the fuck could you not know someone named (((Isaac Asimov))) was Jewish?

Also he was an atheist anyway not that that is uncommon among Jewish intellectuals.
For the same reason someone names their kid apple, im not going to assume they come from a tree. haha, but ya. I disagree with the thought that someone is born, jewish, christian, muslim, whatever. I remember a text book from school, that tried to paint that very idea. To me, people are just born human and anything else is just indoctrination and projection to the level of child abuse.

Like how is anyone, especially a kid who can't even read yet or talk, let alone formulate idea's, somehow conform to a religious ideology. Let alone come into the world and with their first words, say hey doc, id much appreciate it if you take a knife to my dick. Or if a gal, say hey shaman, cut off my clit, cuz it goes against my tribes beliefs for me to enjoy pleasure when im an adult and will be a nuisance once im forced into a marriage.

Last edited:

Locomotive Derangement

Hardcore Velocity
kiwifarms.net
He was an absolutely fantastic author and if it weren't for how his son turned out I'd call him righteous among the Hebrews.
I've heard Robert Mueller was involved in David Asimov's case. Anyone here know if there more to that connection or was that just a coincidence used as ammo against him in the whole Mueller Report shitfest?

AnOminous

do you see what happens
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net

Locomotive Derangement

Hardcore Velocity
kiwifarms.net
Looks like everyone from the investigators to the judge to the local DA to the FBI fucked it up and Mueller inherited the case.

I recall you once said something somewhere of there being no magic "Jew Button"/Money Button (Green Alert?) to just delete court cases but if anything this makes me think it may exist. I have to wonder if Asimov's estate didn't just drown this fucking shit in money and try to pretend it wasn't happening the whole time. I'm suprisied lunatics like David don't have threads.

AnOminous

do you see what happens
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I recall you once said something somewhere of there being no magic "Jew Button"/Money Button (Green Alert?) to just delete court cases but if anything this makes me think it may exist. I have to wonder if Asimov's estate didn't just drown this fucking shit in money and try to pretend it wasn't happening the whole time. I'm suprisied lunatics like David don't have threads.
He had a bunch of buttons. Be the kid of a famous person and you don't need to be a fucking Jew to get special treatment. He could also play the autism card. It's pretty likely the case was deliberately fucked up to get him off because of connections or otherwise.

Lemmingwise

Welcome home
kiwifarms.net
For the same reason someone names their kid apple, im not going to assume they come from a tree. haha, but ya. I disagree with the thought that someone is born, jewish, christian, muslim, whatever. I remember a text book from school, that tried to paint that very idea. To me, people are just born human and anything else is just indoctrination and projection to the level of child abuse.

Like how is anyone, especially a kid who can't even read yet or talk, let alone formulate idea's, somehow conform to a religious ideology. Let alone come into the world and with their first words, say hey doc, id much appreciate it if you take a knife to my dick. Or if a gal, say hey shaman, cut off my clit, cuz it goes against my tribes beliefs for me to enjoy pleasure when im an adult and will be a nuisance once im forced into a marriage.
Protip: Not everyone who says x person is jewish is referring to religious status. It can also be a referrence to the genetic detail. It's confusing with jewish being the same word, but there ya go.

Locomotive Derangement

Hardcore Velocity
kiwifarms.net
The Jew thing being mostly a joke, I have to admit that something that's been stuck in my head for awhile now is the sheer premise and world of The Naked Sun.

A world where human beings are so absolutely repulsed by each other that they isolate themselves to the point where a few seconds of interaction with another person is revolting and traumatizing. The whole thing sounds like a bad SNL sketch about antisocial weirdos. Then his son gets picked up for CP, living alone in some random apartment complex on $3000 a month. Even his prosecutors said he never talked to anyone, never showed interest in anyone, never interacted with anyone unless he had to.

Now we're all living in an age where people don't like venturing outside and everybody under the age of 30 lives on their computer. If The Naked Sun included an edgy hot take on pedophilia, it would pretty much be a snapshot of the actual future we're living in. That book actually scares the shit out of me even worse than 1984 or Brave New World ever could because it seems to be the most accurate and the lunatic who wrote it knows what he was talking about.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino