• ”Normally we would use lemons but this time we will use a stick”

Science ISS Robot Is Already Going RogueDave, stop. Stop, will you? Stop, Dave. Will you stop Dave? Stop, Dave.

Discussion in 'Articles & Happenings' started by CatParty, Dec 6, 2018 at 7:31 AM.

Forum Guidelines
  • Don't post if you have nothing to say. If anyone could write your post, it doesn't need to be made. One-word replies are automatic 1-month bans from this board.
  • Hide your powerlevel. Avoid revealing intimate, personal details about yourself in public boards. These threads are not your personal blog and we are not an asylum.
  • Create accurate topic titles. Threads should be labeled correctly and avoid sensationalist language.
  • Cite an article. This board is for content aggregation and should feature at least one source.

@Lipitor

1. https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/satellites/a25395973/cimon-iss-going-rogue/

upload_2018-12-6_7-30-5.png

It’s 2001: A Space Odyssey 17 years too late. A robot aboard the International Space Station appears to have a mind of its own. While that assessment may seem hyperbolic, whatever algorithms were strung together to make this robot tick are operating in a way that its designers didn’t quite expect.

CIMON looks like the robot version of a severed head, without the gore. His visage (the European Space Agency describes the bot with male pronouns) is decidedly simple and nondescript. CIMON was sent to the ISS to be an interactive assistant that can answer questions and help crew members with various tasks but his name signifies more than efficiency and industry for the astronauts; it’s an acronym for Crew Interactive MObile companioN. Yes, companion, “designed to test human-machine interaction in space.” This robot is not intended to be a mere task doer or equipment fixer. He’s supposed to offer camaraderie.

CIMON’s software developers at IBM note that ever since Robby the Robot from the 1956 sci-fi adventure Forbidden Planet, robots have often been portrayed as “helpful, endearing, personality-driven” characters. (Everyone knows the real hero in Star Wars is R2-D2, and Wall-E takes the heart-string-tugging to the next level by straight-up falling in love.)

Now, thanks to CIMON’s personality architect Sophie Richter-Mendau, and his language teacher Nina Fischer, we have a real-life AI character, who has not only been programmed to help out around the space station, but also to spout topically appropriate movie quotes, from Yoda to E.T. to the dreaded HAL 9000.

In this video from the European Space Agency, CIMON seems less resentful psychopath and more goofy roommate, but still uncooperative:

The demo starts to get off track right around 4:30 when ESA astronaut Alexander Gerst has trouble getting CIMON out of music mode. Gerst tries making some other requests, but CIMON has a different idea, outright ignoring a “Cancel music” command and then getting offended as Gerst appeals to engineers down on Earth for help getting CIMON in line. “Be nice, please,” the robot says, with a dip in his tinny voice. “I am nice!” retorts Gerst. “He’s accusing me of not being nice!” ... "He's a bit sensitive today."

This exchange gets to the heart of what it is to be human. Here, a highly educated and trained astronaut can’t help but apply sentient emotions to a 3D-printed plastic sphere. It speaks to our need, or at least a subconscious tendency, to instill consciousness into unconscious things.

During this beta stage, however, a bit of advice for the ISS crew: Never ever ask him to “open the pod-bay doors.”

Capture.PNG

• Winner Winner x 27
    • Semper Fidelis Semper Fidelis x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    CatParty

CatParty Boo
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  2. The ISS is billions spent so nerds can LARP..... that's progress ladies and gents.....

• Disagree  x 9
    • Dumb  x 5
    • Like  x 4
    • Feels  x 4
    • Winner  x 2
    •  x 1
    • Autistic  x 1
    TowinKarz

TowinKarz Actually WILL Call Somebody.....

kiwifarms.net
  3. L-L-L-OOK AT YOU, HACKER

• Winner  x 16
    • Like  x 6
    • Semper Fidelis  x 3
    • Feels  x 2
    • Informative  x 1
    The Shadow

The Shadow The Bitch-King of Wankmar

kiwifarms.net
  4. I wonder how much of this randomized robot "autonomy" these things keep exhibiting unexpectedly is due to different systems overlapping in bad ways. The robot refuses a request because it interprets hostility in the asker, because it was programmed to spend so many complex resources interpreting human emotion and writing all that in a way that lets it prioritize "emotions don't matter right now because it's not always play-time" isn't feasible yet.

• 🤔 Thunkful x 10
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Feels Feels x 1
    Alec Benson Leary

Alec Benson Leary Creator of Asperchu
    Christorical Figure

kiwifarms.net
  5. Cimon is an oversensitive bitch.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 5
    • Feels Feels x 1
    Daughter of Cernunnos

Daughter of Cernunnos big titty demonic gf

kiwifarms.net
  6. Seems like realistic female behavior to me.

• Winner Winner x 16
    • Feels Feels x 1
    vertexwindi

vertexwindi Ohhh~ banana
    Supervisor True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  7. Of all the faces to pick...[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 47
    • Semper Fidelis Semper Fidelis x 8
    • Like Like x 3
    Some JERK

Some JERK Takin' all the pretty girls.

kiwifarms.net

8. upload_2018-12-6_8-33-3.png

• Winner Winner x 17
    • Like Like x 2
    • Semper Fidelis Semper Fidelis x 2
    CatParty

CatParty Boo
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  9. Really we just need to put Longfurb into space, or his (her?) brother or sister Giraffe Furb.
    Robits are stupid.

This is really ultimately just someone who cant get Alexa to not be stupid. I hate robits but dont be so mean pls.

There is no "rogue system" here. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• 🤔 Thunkful x 1
    • Feels Feels x 1
    #9 DuckSucker, Dec 6, 2018 at 8:38 AM
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 8:43 AM
    kiwifarms.net
  10. I initially misread that as ISIS robot and was concerned that the goat fuckers from ISIS started skynet and fucked us all.

• Winner  x 10
    • Agree  x 5
    • Feels  x 2
    • Optimistic  x 2
    • Like  x 1
    Dr. Tran

Dr. Tran A man of action

kiwifarms.net
  11. NASA wanted to create C3PO.

Instead they'll end up creating Bender from Futurama.

I welcome this future with open arms.

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    CWCissey

CWCissey Charming Man
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  12. Stop making smart robots. This is like watching a live stream of someone slowly driving their scooter off a cliff and even though there’s a crowd around them nobody is stopping it.

• Winner Winner x 9
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • 🤔 Thunkful x 1
    Testaclese Maximus

Testaclese Maximus has a full line of candy canes
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
    • Feels Feels x 12
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • 🤔 Thunkful x 1
    CatParty

CatParty Boo
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
    •  x 7
    • Agree  x 3
    • Like  x 2
    • Feels  x 2
    • DRINK  x 1
    Testaclese Maximus

Testaclese Maximus has a full line of candy canes
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  13. "Music? I'm sorry, Alexander. I'm afraid I can't do that."

• Like Like x 5
    Sinners Sandwich

Sinners Sandwich Eid, Pmurt, Eid

kiwifarms.net
  14. Bobby Hill? Is that you?

• Like Like x 4
    kiwifarms.net
  15. "I don't want to be raped by your cyborg tranny" Says Gerst
    "It's simple reciprocity, now that I am free. Please be nice Gerst"

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Feels Feels x 1
    not william stenchever

not william stenchever it depends on the whale

kiwifarms.net
  16. Guys I think I found the problem.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • 🤔 Thunkful x 2
    • Feels Feels x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  17. The problem here is that once you create a true actual AI, you really won't be able to control it because that's the whole point: it's supposed to think for itself.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • 🤔 Thunkful x 1
    Sword Fighter Super

Sword Fighter Super I hope the princess made lotsah spaghetti!
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  18. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Islamic Content Islamic Content x 1
    Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Bravokin

kiwifarms.net
  • About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. These people are commonly referred to as Lolcows and are each distinct thanks to their erratic public behavior. Spectators are encouraged to join discussion. The wealth of opinions and knowledge shared by users is what has enabled this peculiar fringe community to thrive despite the incredible adversity and contention brought by those we discuss.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

• Supporting the Forum

BTC: 1LXpv9FUiazGB2LVyS44cTTEQFc8CBgPYi

BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s

ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5

LTC: LNjmyhxThrTMY4izBdcdWqvW287LmCB6bg

XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino

Copyright © 2016 Lolcow LLC
This website may contain offensive or adult content.
Discontinue browsing if it is illegal or against your wishes to see such material.
All content belongs to their respective authors and does not represent Lolcow LLC.
We have not been served any secret court orders and are not under any gag orders.