IT: chapter II - Pennywise the clown is so #cancelled

Mariposa Electrique

In 2021, Shit will hit the fan 4 Chris
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Pros:
It was funny.
The two LGBT storylines were actually delivered tastefully without an agenda.
They at least tried to delve into It's cosmic origins.
I would like to see the ending again
Cons:
Stephen King made a cameo
The origin story sucked and wasn't even consistent
It wasn't scarry or traumatizing. All of the monsters seemed like something out of the Goosebump series.
Too much CGI.
Too long while leaving out valuable and accurate source material.
Not very much character development for the adults.
Relied too much on jump scares.
Really took the source material for granted, but it's not Muschetti's fault due to budget restraints and only have 2 films to work with.
Overall, I thought Richie's ending was touching, but he wasn't gay in the book.
BTW, King really needs to make a prequel and sequal to this book.

• Agree
Reactions: Jamila

jellycar

50% Patty Hearst/50% Natasha Romanoff
kiwifarms.net
Xavier Dolan is a pretentious little cumdump so I'm fine with his character lmao

Truthboi

The True and Honest Man
kiwifarms.net
I saw the film and

It was pretty much exactly what I was expecting. The acting from the adults was well done and I feel the adults really sold on being grown up versions of the kids with special highlights to James McAvoy and the guys who played the older versions of Richie and Ben. I liked the new scenes of the past where it showed the other encounters the kids had with Pennywise like with when he turned into Paul Bunyan. Furthermore, the film had a good amount of humor in it and the story was fairly well executed. The gay stuff mentioned in this thread really has no real bearing on the plot and felt well handled as Richie's insecurity felt realistically portrayed. However, it really made no difference so if you removed that, literally nothing would change. I really enjoyed the verbal beatdown the adults gave Pennywise as it felt more thematically fitting and the beatdown was not as exceptional as the one in the 90s miniseries.

As for more stuff I liked, I found the recurring joke about no one liking Bill's endings to be funny only because it felt more like a jab at Stephen King himself. Henry Bowers while having minimal screentime really hammed up the performance which made him fun to watch. The cosmic stuff was interesting and Eddie's death felt really tragic.

As for the stuff I didn't like. The movie was not that scary as most of the scares were jumpscares. The only scenes that were close to scaring were more how unnerving the visuals were like with the Chinese Restaurant scene. The only other thing that scared me was that skateboarder kid's death since it gave a huge sense of hopelessness. Aside from that though, the movie is not a horror movie and more of an adventure film.

Another thing I didn't like was how the film constantly flashed back to the past for slice of life stuff between the kids which I could see why they'd show it, it would've been a bit better to at least show some development for the adults like with Stanley whose child self had more screentime than the adult version of him. The film also was very long and felt a bit dragged out at points.

Overall, this film was okay and inoffensive. It's nothing amazing but it's a good sequel to chapter one which meant it did it's job well.

Mariposa Electrique

In 2021, Shit will hit the fan 4 Chris
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I really enjoyed the verbal beatdown the adults gave Pennywise as it felt more thematically fitting and the beatdown was not as exceptional as the one in the 90s miniseries.
I found that to be really anti-climactic. I mean, here's this being that can take on any size and shape it wants, yet it can be destroyed by a simple tongue lashing. I mean, when it was small...I felt sorry for it. In the book, I don't believe the deadlights were actually destroyed because they weren't manifest in this reality.

RumblyTumbly

kiwifarms.net
I saw it yesterday and thought it was a little messy.

Jumping back and forth between past and present gave the film kind of a jerky pace, and unfortunately, the scares weren't as effective this time around.

Just as an example, the trailer with It-Granny was really good...but that scene was kind of ruined when you actually see the granny monster in the movie, which was so goofy looking, I almost spit out my coke.

And there were plenty of other examples of that:
The Paul Bunyan statue bit was downright ridiculous, and why oh why oh why did they put the giant spider in the end of the film? That was a weakness in the original book and in the miniseries. Ending with a giant spider was just stupid. Here, I think they made it worse by having it be a giant spider with Pennywise's head imposed onto it, lol.

It is a shame because the 1st movie fixed a lot of the issues I had with the miniseries, which I could only really enjoy if I looked at it as a comedy rather than a horror story (Tim Curry as Pennywise is downright hilarious and cute). The 1st movie legit made the clown horrifying and I was hoping for more of the same here. Unfortunately, this reminded me more of the miniseries where he was kind of goofy, outside of one or two really good moments of horror.

• Agree
Reactions: Mad Asshatter

Overcast

Perfection has no age
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't really get why people would be upset over that scene. Gay people actually did get beaten up and even killed over being gay, and in a way, doesn't showing them going through hardships like that humanize them and therefore make them equal in people's eyes? Regardless of sex, race, sexual preference, ect., people from all walks of like probably experienced something horrible and traumatic. Whether it be through being the recipient or seeing someone you care about suffering it.

Honestly, as someone who's never read the book, I was more confused over why that scene was there to begin with as it barely had anything to do with the main characters other then indicating to them that Pennywise has returned.

Also I like the scene at the store where Stephen King makes a cameo and essentially pokes fun at himself.

Last edited:

Kurosaki Ichigo

an approaching murder
kiwifarms.net
I don't really get why people would be upset over that scene. Gay people actually did get beaten up and even killed over being gay, and in a way, doesn't showing them going through hardships like that humanize them and therefore make them equal in people's eyes? Regardless of sex, race, sexual preference, ect., people from all walks of like probably experienced something horrible and traumatic. Whether it be through being the recipient or seeing someone you care about suffering it.

Honestly, as someone who's never read the book, I was more confused over why that scene was there to begin with as it barely had anything to do with the main characters other then indicating to them that Pennywise has returned.

Also I like the scene at the store where Stephen King makes a cameo and essentially pokes fun at himself.
Someone brought that up in a twitter thread and some idiot argued that because Stephen King is a straight white male he has no business writing about lgbt hardships or some schlock.

But he did. He wrote it 30 years ago and it got published. Little too late.

TaimuRadiu

Kaiserin
kiwifarms.net
Is the kiddie gang bang scene in the IT movies? The book was just so fucking weird that when I got to that part I was thinking, "at least this is better than 10 pages of a mid tier villain's farts" (yes that was in the book)

More unsolicited opinion: was Georgie exceptional? Just straight exceptional? Why would he go into a sewer? Were children stupider in the 50s?

The Nothingness

The one with no body!
kiwifarms.net
Like others commented, I felt it was a little too long and bloated but still a satisfying conclusion. Considering some of the flashbacks could have been included in the first movie, just a little edited down so that one wouldn't be very long either.

The humor in it seemed to lessen the scares such as "Angel Of The Morning" just randomly playing when the leper pukes on adult Eddie after he fought back. There wasn't much of dread like the last one (the scene where Pennywise kills the girl under the bleachers and the fun house scene seem to replicate that unsettling horror). As I previously stated, some of the flashback stuff could have been expanded in Chapter One such as the revelation that Mike set the fire that killed his crack-addicted parents. I was disappointed the scene of Pennywise leaping out of what looks like a window and standing on wall, which was featured throughout the trailers, was not in the movie.

• Agree
Reactions: Mad Asshatter

Duncan Hills Coffee

Awakes you from a thousand deaths
kiwifarms.net
The cinema wouldn't shut the fuck up where i saw it, laughing through every scene, Including when Pennywise died.
Nothing ruins a movie more than people laughing at it when they aren't supposed to. I once saw Bride of Frankenstein at a special showing and people were cracking up every other scene. It was fucking irritating.

Is the kiddie gang bang scene in the IT movies?
No. No way in hell they could do something like that in a mainstream movie.

The book was just so fucking weird that when I got to that part I was thinking, "at least this is better than 10 pages of a mid tier villain's farts" (yes that was in the book)
I remember that scene. Henry and Patrick (I think he was there?) were lighting their farts on fire and Beverly was spying on them.

Weird scene.

More unsolicited opinion: was Georgie exceptional? Just straight exceptional? Why would he go into a sewer? Were children stupider in the 50s?
The book kinda went into this by saying that as a 5 year old he really didn't question the strangeness of a clown in a sewer. Some 5 year olds are really stupid so I kinda buy that.

Tags
None