It’s official: NVIDIA to acquire ARM for $40 Billion - What now, Apple?

• Registration without invitation will be until July 4th, and we are reforming account penalties.

MalwareBytes has, again, blocked both the .net and .cc domains for the Kiwi Farms. Complain to them, not me.

Reverend

kiwifarms.net
All you people thinking apple gives two shits about this deal are dead wrong.

ARM was founded as a joint venture between Apple and Acorn, Apple can tell Nvidia to go fuck itself as it can do whatever it wants with ARM Architecture it so chooses.

Apple in it's infinite pocket book, legal team, and insane need to control everything secured ridiculously long licensing agreements from any/all it's vendor's after the kerfluffle of their gpu from MediaTek back in the day being POSSIBLY yanked out from under them and not having some way to display graphics on their money printing device. No doubt that Nvidia consulted Apple on the deal and some arrangements were made (cross patent negotiations, rights to use, etc. etc.) to keep regulation happy.

Apple wants Intel/AMD to have a 3rd competitor to drive their prices down even further and Nvidia is big enough to swing it's dick around to make itself become a 3rd major CPU vendor. Nvidia HAS to give back it's discoveries and updates back to the ARM group and infrastructure design. Apple sees the updates and applies it in house to make their chips faster/better. Apple has to give some design back as well but not as much as the now owner of ARM.

Apple wins either way and they can look like the smug cocksuckers they are sipping chai lattes in that circular mothership shithole building they masterbate each over in furiously sucking off statutes of Sir Jony Ive as the coming of Christ.

Tomboy Respecter

>Tfw no early 2000s Japanese Gothic Lolita gf
kiwifarms.net
So is x86 digging its grave yet or is it too soon to call it?
I don’t think x86 will die anytime soon just due to gaming, but ARM will definitely become a bigger part of the market and hopefully force IBM to fix all the massive flaws with x86

tehpope

Wig Out | Archivist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don’t think x86 will die anytime soon just due to gaming, but ARM will definitely become a bigger part of the market and hopefully force IBM to fix all the massive flaws with x86
Intel controls x86, not IBM. And considering they're in the ruts right now, x86 might be pining for the fjords soon. AMD has done some great work with the arch, but it not theirs to totally control. Unless Intel gets their act together and proves that x86 can do what ARM can or sells x86 patents to AMD or allows x86 to be more open, idk.

Last edited:

Pee Cola

it's a real drink
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
ARM was founded as a joint venture between Apple and Acorn

Close but not quite.

Apple's involvement with ARM started a couple of years after Acorn started developing the ARM architecture (Fun fact: ARM originally stood for "Acorn RISC Machine"). The JV between Acorn and Apple came a bit later on, with VLSI also holding a stake in ARM Limited (VLSI being the chip manufacturer that Acorn used for silicon fabrication at the time). Although it's fair to say that both Apple and Acorn did a lot of good work with the ARM architecture when they worked together.

CreamyHerman’s

Smug-ass piece of Granite
kiwifarms.net
All you people thinking apple gives two shits about this deal are dead wrong.

ARM was founded as a joint venture between Apple and Acorn, Apple can tell Nvidia to go fuck itself as it can do whatever it wants with ARM Architecture it so chooses.

Apple in it's infinite pocket book, legal team, and insane need to control everything secured ridiculously long licensing agreements from any/all it's vendor's after the kerfluffle of their gpu from MediaTek back in the day being POSSIBLY yanked out from under them and not having some way to display graphics on their money printing device. No doubt that Nvidia consulted Apple on the deal and some arrangements were made (cross patent negotiations, rights to use, etc. etc.) to keep regulation happy.

Apple wants Intel/AMD to have a 3rd competitor to drive their prices down even further and Nvidia is big enough to swing it's dick around to make itself become a 3rd major CPU vendor. Nvidia HAS to give back it's discoveries and updates back to the ARM group and infrastructure design. Apple sees the updates and applies it in house to make their chips faster/better. Apple has to give some design back as well but not as much as the now owner of ARM.

Apple wins either way and they can look like the smug cocksuckers they are sipping chai lattes in that circular mothership shithole building they masterbate each over in furiously sucking off statutes of Sir Jony Ive as the coming of Christ.
You do know Apple hates Nvidia since 2008 right? To the point where they block Titan eGPU support for Mac’s

Margo Martindale

The Trannytale Strangler
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Whelp, this is gonna be interesting. I have a feeling they are doing this as a defensive move against Intel, since they are starting to encroach on their GPU territory with their Xe/Xer/Xir GPU.

Reverend

kiwifarms.net
You do know Apple hates Nvidia since 2008 right? To the point where they block Titan eGPU support for Mac’s

That's EONs in the computer industry. You can still build hackintoshes with nvidia GPU's and there is CUDA support for OSX. If Apple was going to hold vendetta's forever they would've collapsed a long time ago as they courted IBM, Intel, and even Microsoft as of late for parts of their grand releases. Nvidia graphics are huge in their macOS devices whenever they can't cram a garbage tier AMD in there. Apple will be switching everything they can to ARM in the coming years to suck even more profit out of the consumer market for their upcoming Macbooks.

Sammy

Exhibits no Islamic behavior once given McNuggets
Forum Staff
Global Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
As I mentioned in the Apple thread, while there's no love between Apple and nVidia, there's also no love between Samsung and Apple and they do business on the regs. Apple licensing money is reliable money. All nVidia has to do is shake hands and set their watches to reliable on-time payments from one of the biggest giants in the tech industry with hundreds of billions of backup dollars in the bank. nVidia will never go broke in that scenario, its the smart play.

If Apple fully commits to 100% ARM (which seems to be the case at this point), its in nVidia's best interest that Apple does extremely well as one of their biggest licensees.

TL;DR: After this business deal nVidia and Apple will be super fuck buddies.

CreamyHerman’s

kiwifarms.net
That's EONs in the computer industry. You can still build hackintoshes with nvidia GPU's and there is CUDA support for OSX. If Apple was going to hold vendetta's forever they would've collapsed a long time ago as they courted IBM, Intel, and even Microsoft as of late for parts of their grand releases. Nvidia graphics are huge in their macOS devices whenever they can't cram a garbage tier AMD in there. Apple will be switching everything they can to ARM in the coming years to suck even more profit out of the consumer market for their upcoming Macbooks.
1. AMD is not garbage tier, they just have garbage drivers sometimes

2. Apple is notorious for hating Nvidia, to the point where management is always against enable NVIDIA gpu support to this day: https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...in-macos-and-thats-a-bad-sign-for-the-mac-pro
And the feeling is just as mutual from the green team: https://www.provideocoalition.com/officially-official-nvidia-drops-cuda-support-for-macos/

It may be eons in terms of tech, but people still run these companies and they still don’t like each other.

CreamyHerman’s

kiwifarms.net
If Apple fully commits to 100% ARM (which seems to be the case at this point), its in nVidia's best interest that Apple does extremely well as one of their biggest licensees.
I can see them sticking in Nvidia ARM for 15 years max, then will move to RISC-V. I am a betting man after all, that is roughly the same time frame Apple stuck with Intel.

I think this isnt about PCs or even Smartphones. this is about Cars.
It has to do with licensing of the ARM architecture, which is similar to how Intel and AMD license x86/x64 respectively. Apple will now need to purchase licensing rights to use the ARM architecture from NIVIDA now, which something Apple probably isn't too pleased with. I do find it ironically funny though.

LegoTugboat

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well, I can see one of three things that has/will happened.

1. We know that Apple has a perpetual licence for ARMv8, signed back in 2011, I believe. And unless Apple's lawyers were complete and utter morons, Apple would have gotten a licence for ARMv9 sorted before nVidia even had the pen within a hundred miles of a contract.

2. Even though nVidia and Apple hate each other, they'd have vested interest in both making money, and ensuring nVidia's latest assset outperforms Intel's offerings. Any advances Apple makes with ARM would be either licenced, or at the least be used to show other people 'Hey, Apple does this, why can't you?'

3. Apple goes to sign a perpetual licence for ARMv whatever, nVidia goes 'Nah, fuck off'. Massive lawsuit ensures.

DragoonSierra

kiwifarms.net

LegoTugboat

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Can someone explain that feud to me? I see it popping up every now and then.
That would be antitrust wouldnt it?

Apple wanted to develop Metal (think basically a Apple version of DirectX) back in the day, and asked Intel, AMD and nVidia to send teams to work inhouse with Apple to ensure support, with most of the work being kept with Apple.

Intel and AMD agreed, but nVidia told Apple to piss off, and that Metal wouldn't go anywhere. Apple took that badly, and nVidia cards quickly stopped appearing in all subsequent Macs.

And yes, if nVidia refused to a licence for ARMv- to Apple, that would be a solid case for antitrust.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Closed for summer
kiwifarms.net
Nvidia is like Apple and Intel in that they want insane control over their product and preferably own all aspects of it. No console is using Nvidia or Intel for that reason. Apple's interests combined with the interests of Nvidia and Intel was bound to break down at some point. Apple themselves announced their own API and sneakily developed their own GPU, the switch to ARM is probably a stepping stone towards having their own CPU architecture.

3119967d0c

"a brain" - @REGENDarySumanai
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
1600165694300.png

Joe Swanson

Hey Peter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
True. And I'm not sure if gaming is going to Jump on the ARM bandwagon ASAP. Nintendo is already there. Not to mention every digital gaming store has no support for ARM.
Nintendo didn't jump on the ARM bandwagon anymore then it did what they needed it to do for the switch, I'm sure if they had a traditional box console this generation they'd have jump ship to x86

CreamyHerman’s

kiwifarms.net
Can someone explain that feud to me? I see it popping up every now and then.
Nvidia supplied apple with some bad gpu's for their Macbooks, and when the GPU's started to fail, Nvidia refused to give money back to Apple and Apple had to pay 50 billlion out of pocket. It's the same reason why Microsoft no longer makes deals with Nvidia anymore as well.

tehpope

Wig Out | Archivist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Nintendo didn't jump on the ARM bandwagon anymore then it did what they needed it to do for the switch, I'm sure if they had a traditional box console this generation they'd have jump ship to x86
Possibly. Or stuck with PowerPC. The GC, Wii, and Wii U all used PowerPC. I mean, the nVidia shield is quite powerful, probably the most powerful Android set top box around. It bascially uses the same chipset the Switch does. Nintendo might have stuck with ARM since it would be easy to translate to a portable device. A stepping stone to the a Switch like device with Nintendo didn't want to dive head first into that transition. All of Nintendo's handhelds since the GBA have used ARM chips.

Last edited: