ITT: Books that people read just to feel smart -

Puff

God of Chaos
kiwifarms.net
Grad english lit students who say they specialize in postmodern literature.

If I had to drop another book to add to this pile, it'd have to be the girl with the dragon tattoo.
I read that because I watched the movie on Netflix at some point. I enjoyed it at the time but it's entirely forgettable. As in I literally cannot remember the first thing about it.

Assuming this thread is for books people read just to feel smart, but that then don't make anyone smarter (as opposed to books people read to feel smart that actually do make them smarter):

The Sorrows Of Young Werther
Naked Lunch
Lolita
Naked Lunch is both pretentious and degenerate at the same time and is difficult for the sake of being difficult. 0/10.
Lolita is what Cuties SAYS it wants to be, but still, do we need a book to tell us only crazy weirdos want to fuck children and they're bad people for it? No. 2/10.

DDBCAE CBAADCBE

Buying a Switch & Animal Crossing with Trump bucks
kiwifarms.net
100% agree about Lovecraft. I started reading (listening to the audio books) a while ago and claims like "every story ends with the hero being killed or going insane" are simply false.

Call of Cthulhu in particular is so far removed from the popular opinion of it that I think I might have listened to the wrong story. Most of the story is a bunch of professors talking about a statue, and at the end some fishermen wake up Cthulhu and escape.

Just like Starship Troopers, I've yet to see the racism and antisemitism anti-fans keep talking about.

Edit:

The scene in the Black Adder special where he punches him "for every school boy and girl for the next 400 years" is so satisfying.
To be fair, even as a fan of Lovecraft I have to admit he was incredibly racist. Though that was part of what drew me to him, honestly. It's a very old timey subtle racism that isn't I think in any way hateful. It's how he was raised, and frankly how a lot of people were raised back then and it was a huge influence on his work and personal life. The Rats In The Walls has to be one of my favorite examples. HP named his cat Niggerman.

Czargon the Red

kiwifarms.net
To be fair, even as a fan of Lovecraft I have to admit he was incredibly racist. Though that was part of what drew me to him, honestly. It's a very old timey subtle racism that isn't I think in any way hateful. It's how he was raised, and frankly how a lot of people were raised back then and it was a huge influence on his work and personal life. The Rats In The Walls has to be one of my favorite examples. HP named his cat Niggerman.
Let's not forget that he was massively xenophobic and mentally ill and somehow it's not all comically racist.

Autistador

"Bro you gotta help, the weebs are at it again"
kiwifarms.net
Lovecraft has some kind of Poe's law about him where the longer you talk about him on the internet, the more likely you are to mention he was racist.

Anyway I read The Metamorphosis by Kafka in German to feel smart once. It was aight I guess, probably would've liked it more if I read it in English tbh

Reactions: Judge Dredd

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net
HP named his cat Niggerman.
I don't see that as particularly racist. It's a black cat with a silly name. It's not that far removed from the siamese cats in Lady and the Tramp, or a dolphin called "Flipper".

The way people talk about the stories, I was half expecting "Kill niggers, gas jews, maybe there a monster.". From the stories I've read so far, Lovecraft is racist in the same way a sitcom is sexist. They could be read that way if skewed through a modern American politics lens, but I don't think it was the intent.

DDBCAE CBAADCBE

Buying a Switch & Animal Crossing with Trump bucks
kiwifarms.net
I don't see that as particularly racist. It's a black cat with a silly name. It's not that far removed from the siamese cats in Lady and the Tramp, or a dolphin called "Flipper".

The way people talk about the stories, I was half expecting "Kill niggers, gas jews, maybe there a monster.". From the stories I've read so far, Lovecraft is racist in the same way a sitcom is sexist. They could be read that way if skewed through a modern American politics lens, but I don't think it was the intent.
In the original Shadows Over Innsmouth story there's a lot of talk about racially impure people etc, if i remember correctly he attributes the fish people's ugly faces to them probably being inbred foreigners. Then there's the story with the german in the submarine one which I recall had some talk of Aryan superiority. It's generally not big stuff or even stuff I care about. Lovecraft being racist doesn't bother me, but he was definitely racist.

LinkinParkxNaruto[AMV]

I try so hard and got so far
kiwifarms.net
I been meaning to get into Phillip k. Dick for a long time but I notice he seems to attract a peculiar kind of "what if lolweed420 and like reality is not reality maaan" kind of audience.

I can't comment on the content yet but the people shilling definitely fit the bill as tards who think they are too smart for this world.

• Agree
Reactions: Getting tard comed

JonIrenicus

It is time for more Experiments
kiwifarms.net
Hilary Mantel. I don't know what it is, but that present tense screenplay style of writing is bloody awful

Fictional Character

kiwifarms.net
Correction: His parents named the cat Niggerman.

In the original Shadows Over Innsmouth story there's a lot of talk about racially impure people etc, if i remember correctly he attributes the fish people's ugly faces to them probably being inbred foreigners. Then there's the story with the german in the submarine one which I recall had some talk of Aryan superiority. It's generally not big stuff or even stuff I care about. Lovecraft being racist doesn't bother me, but he was definitely racist.
Shadow over Innsmouth is interesting, since the horror is inbreeding with fish people Deep Ones. Now, that could be easily seen as metaphor for mixing races and on some level, it probably is, but it's described as just as horrifying when it happens to some Pacific Islanders. It's more anti-immigration in the story, since Lovecraft in general wanted different nations and ethnicities to stay in their home country. I know being anti-immigration and wanting people who immigrate into a country to assimilate instead of trying to change the country is seen as horrible racism, but I have hard time caring. The fish people looking ugly is attributed to inbreeding rather than foreigners, though. Lovecraft was also interested in all the hereditary degenerations caused by inbreeding and there's a bunch of stories on the them (Picture in the House, Dunwich Horror, Lurking Fear etc.) IIRC, he was afraid of hereditary mental illness because both of his parents went insane.

The German submarine one is the Temple and it was written during WW1 and all the talk about German superiority in it is definitely a parody. The submarine captain is very much not a good guy, since there's a bit where he has a film of survivors from sunk ship safely on lifeboats recorded for propaganda purposes and then he has them mowed down with machine guns. Lovecraft volunteered for the army in WW1 and was obviously rejected on medical grounds, but he was still enthusiastic about the US joining.

• Informative
Reactions: Judge Dredd
Tags
None