J.K. Rowling needs to stop messing with Harry Potter - A general STFU J.K. Rowling MegaThread <3

Tasty Tatty

kiwifarms.net
I vividly remember from my potterhead days (don't judge me) that JKR did say Hermione was her own voice in the story, as in, whenever she told Harry something, it was what Jo would tell him herself. Ditto for Dumbledore. She's more Author Avatar than Mary Sue (except for Hermione in the movies, who is totally Mary Sue).

Mr1930s

Bumbling Fuckhead
kiwifarms.net
It doesn't help that Harry Potter was poorly written in the first place.
Essentially, to enjoy the books, you have to be hooked in Harry Potter when it first came out. I think her current exposure right now is good for her wallet and bank accounts because of the nostalgia-bucks and curious young adults who won't bother reading classic literature first.

SteelPlatedHeart

Politics are fucking dumb
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You know, the “Dumbledore is gay” announcement never bothered me all that much, especially because it can easily be put into context in the 7th book, where the bulk of his backstory and everything comes from. So when she first said it, I was like “oh yeah, I can see that. Huh, neat. “

But she’s definitely gotten out of control with it.

Alto

Space Doggity
kiwifarms.net
In regards to Snape, I'm convinced his appeal comes more from Alan Rickman's portrayal than Rowling's writing.
I'll believe that. Rickman played Snape as grumpy but honestly kind of lovable in how much he fucking hates everyone. They tamed down a lot of Snape's overall nastiness from the books and woobie-fied him a good deal.

BScCollateral

kiwifarms.net
You know, the “Dumbledore is gay” announcement never bothered me all that much, especially because it can easily be put into context in the 7th book, where the bulk of his backstory and everything comes from. So when she first said it, I was like “oh yeah, I can see that. Huh, neat. “
I'm not a Potter fan, but yeah. "Dumbledore is gay" strikes me as "Here's some background on the character that doesn't really change the story in any way, but it's how I always imagined him." But after a while it does start to get a bit much.

Fashy Airship

Baron's Aircrew
kiwifarms.net

But she’s definitely gotten out of control with it.
The thing is, she's largely attempting a retcon of this shit by virtue of her say so at a later date. To do a proper retcon you usually have to write it into the next story / book you write. So where she gets off with turning overt SJW will just backfire in her face in the end.

• Agree
Reactions: Adamska

Marco Fucko

Freak a flow and flow fancy free.
kiwifarms.net
I was mostly meming.

Holy shit #1 looks like a Chad and #2 looks like a Virgin. (At least above the kilt.)

I can't be the only one seeing it.
They both look like huge fucking nerds tbh

I really hope this doesn’t lead to re-releasing the books with more “updated and inclusive” writing. Because fuck me if so.

Also this.
How shit, this movie is a mess.
I watched that and found out that gay magic Hitler wanted to stop the holocaust, and it just reaffirmed my belief that Rowling is secretly a /pol/ poster.

Reactions: ATaxingWoman

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
kiwifarms.net
In regards to Snape, I'm convinced his appeal comes more from Alan Rickman's portrayal than Rowling's writing.
Rowling stated at one point Rickman influenced how the character appeared in her head.

To be entirely fair though Rickman doesn’t contradict the way the character is written, he just embodied that character so well that it replaces your mental image when you think of him.
I don't have any proof on me, but incidentally, I suspect Hermione is Rowling's self-insert. Rowling outright states she is a caricature of herself when she was 11.

And the fact that she is the most brilliant witch her generation is suspicious. Though, unlike twilight's Bella Swann, Hermione is spared of being a Mary Sue self insert based on the fact that Hermione has actual flaws, and the focus is on Harry.
I vividly remember from my potterhead days (don't judge me) that JKR did say Hermione was her own voice in the story, as in, whenever she told Harry something, it was what Jo would tell him herself. Ditto for Dumbledore. She's more Author Avatar than Mary Sue (except for Hermione in the movies, who is totally Mary Sue).
Rowling confirmed that Hermione was based on herself when she was a child. However Rowling had respect for basic story structure when she wrote the characters that was ignored in the films. Which is how most people know about the character of Hermione.
The character of Hermione is reminiscint of Spock in Star Trek. It’s splitting up your protagonist into three characters. Which is very Freudian. One representing the Super Ego (in this case Hermione) and one representing the Id (in this case Ron) and one representing the “Ego” in this case Harry. Who embodies both traits (he’s half-blooded as opposed to full blooded Rowling was a little on the nose when she did that). This was all but ignored in the films because they wanted Hermione to be a role model for girls. Which worked Harry Potter is extremely successful with women. (To the point where if you poll adult women now most of the films are in their top 10 favourites)
I'm starting to wonder if Rowling just didn't have most if not all of the potter series ghost written for her. Her other works, namely the crime ones, are so outlandishly childish and basic in terms of narrative structure, it's almost a friggin' wonder she even struck gold with harry potter.

Now that the [alleged] ghost writer is gone, she's going back and doing all the stuff she wanted but they insisted wouldn't fly.
I don’t think this is the case. If I had to assume it has much more to do with Rowling planning the series out much more heavily and having a rougher editorial process.

A lot of writers in their early years tend to put out their best work because they aren’t seen as “legends” yet and still have to prove themselves. You can see it with Stephen King for example. Their editors tend to not let them get away with as much shit. I’m fairly certain Rowling planned most of the story beats out well ahead of time when she was writing Philosopher’s Stone as evidenced by the amount of reincorporation of plot details and characters throughout all 7 books. (There’s several plot details sprinkled across each of the 7 books that only really play a major role in 7. )

I think the lack of overall quality with her later works and her retroactive revisions to the original work has more to do with ego and aging. Like Rowling is a more political person now and sees her writings as a vehicle for that. (See the recent Fantastic Beasts film where they for some reason shoehorn in WW2). Prior to this Rowling was concerned over the story and the characters but she now sees them as just pawns in trying to push a political or social message. She is also “JK Rowling” a household name and doesn’t have to prove herself to any of her publishers anymore. They’ll let her publish anything without the slightest criticism. As evidenced by how amateurishly written Crimes of Grindlewald is.

Allegory is something J.R.R. Tolkien consciously refrained from doing when he wrote The Lord of the Rings. Which he stated was not an allegorical tale and was strictly a work of fiction that had no clear interpretation from the author. And he stated this was the case due to how he saw allegory as the author telling the reader “your interpretation is wrong, here’s the correct one”. Not all writers are as principled as Tolkien was and especially nowadays with how politically charged people are.

Kari Kamiya

Dopey Mew
kiwifarms.net
Rowling stated at one point Rickman influenced how the character appeared in her head.

To be entirely fair though Rickman doesn’t contradict the way the character is written, he just embodied that character so well that it replaces your mental image when you think of him.
Wasn't this statement made while she was still in the middle of writing one of the books? Unless she had envisioned Rickman from the very beginning, that would've meant she had considered her books getting a movie made and had an actor in mind while writing a character.

Besides, I thought Snape was based off her chemistry teacher?

GethN7

Cute doggo is cute
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Wasn't this statement made while she was still in the middle of writing one of the books? Unless she had envisioned Rickman from the very beginning, that would've meant she had considered her books getting a movie made and had an actor in mind while writing a character.

Probably similar to how Anthony Hopkins portrayal of Hannibal Lecter retroactively colors your prior mental depiction of him when reading the books after seeing the movies.

Xarpho

kiwifarms.net

I'm not going to pull a book to find out but I seem to remember that the first book indicated that Snape was really ugly. My first run with Harry Potter came from my sister read it to me (not that I wasn't old enough to read it--I think my sister wanted to share it with me because I might have gotten too bored if I read it myself). Until I saw the movie and got Alan Rickman stuck in my head, my mental image of Snape resembled the "asshole" version of the old man from Geri's Game (and later Toy Story 2).

Kurosaki Ichigo

WE TUMBLIN DOWN
kiwifarms.net
She’s also said that she disclosed her plans for the character years before the final book to Rickman to help him portray him better. Nothing about his performance really suggests that however. But then the movies aren’t very good at continuity throughout the series. Pettigrew is called Wormtail in the fourth when the marauders’ identities discussed, part one of deathly hollows opens with the two way mirror despite never showing up when it was supposed to in five.

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
kiwifarms.net
I should also point out much of Harry Potter is actually very derivative. The books were based on a popular and over-saturated genre of books in England, boarding school mystery novels.

Rowling most likely read a lot of these when she was that age and all she really did was insert other elements into them. Mostly fantasy elements. Many that are clearly borrowed from The Lord of the Rings. (Dementors being clearly influenced by the Nazgul, Dumbledore being influenced from Gandalf, Samwise Gamgee influencing Ron Weasley, the antagonist being known as "The Dark Lord", etc.) The fantasy elements to the books aren't the reason why they were successful, it's just they're really easy to follow mystery novels that took off because they had fantasy elements and that wasn't common at the time.

Pixy Misa

kiwifarms.net
To be fair you would have a hard time finding a popular franchise that isn't heavily derivative if there is any. Star Wars was heavily influenced by Flash Gordon for one. Marvel loves Norse mythology while DC loves Greek myths. I could go on.

But, yes, nothing Rowling did was original. The worst witch even did the magic school for witches roughly 20 years earlier.

All main seven Potter books are indeed just magical mystery novels, but I don't think that's what made them so popular (neither was the lack of competition). The real reason is quite simple: It's great escapism. Kids and even some adults loved the idea of maybe one day receiving that letter to Hogwarts, and have cool adventures, and magic powers.

This is subjective, but the latest two Fantastic Beasts movies had mysteries that, at least for me, felt secondary at best. I doubt anyone was dying to know who Credence Barebone was. Despite its flaws, it's a world many would like to live as wizards. Hence the reason there is even a theme ride at Universal. And more importantly, it's why the franchise is now referred to as the "wizarding world" instead of just Harry Potter.

Yes, I'm aware Rowling has bad fame of being bad at world building or her world being a grim place to live. I still think most Potter fans would be at Hogwarts in a heartbeat if it was real.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino