J.K. Rowling needs to stop messing with Harry Potter - A general STFU J.K. Rowling MegaThread <3

S.P.E.R.G

Speds Exhibiting Regrettable Grammar
kiwifarms.net
Yeah...this series needs to be put to rest. I was never the biggest Harry Potter fan to begin with, and I was the about the age of the target audience when the books first came out. I understand their appeal and why it holds a special place in people's hearts, but it's also, in my humble autistic opinion, very overrated.

Rowling never really amazed me as an author. She has a brilliant imagination, but when it comes to the depth of her characters and fleshing out their world I always found it strangely lacking. I know it's aimed at younger readers, but I don't really think that's an appropriate justification considering the amount of praise this series gets to THIS DAY.

Rowling herself was an odd figure to me. The amount of success her books received would be hard for anybody to process but I think she felt this enormous pressure to appease her crazed fans which is probably why she is going mad with all this SJW shit.

Baldur's Gait

Huh, you're a queer fellow!
kiwifarms.net
I know it's aimed at younger readers, but I don't really think that's an appropriate justification considering the amount of praise this series gets to THIS DAY.
This is what bugs me about the series, and I actually grew up reading it. I don't think it's necessarily bad that people are reading children's books into their adult years (hell, I still read The Hobbit and that's an actual children's book), it's just that people refuse to let it go and find something else to read.

There's an actual Harry Potter class at the college I go to, which is honestly kinda disconcerting to me. Harry Potter being discussed? Sure, it's a large part of many people's childhoods and a lot of people can make connections with other literature from it. But a whole class? I can't say I agree with that.

The amount of success her books received would be hard for anybody to process but I think she felt this enormous pressure to appease her crazed fans which is probably why she is going mad with all this SJW shit.
The funny thing is even the really liberal people I know who love Harry Potter hate this too, because it's clear she's just trying to pander. Not to mention absolutely none of the SJW shit is in the text itself, so people see right through it.

Agent Wet

Cutting is my game
kiwifarms.net
There's an actual Harry Potter class at the college I go to, which is honestly kinda disconcerting to me. Harry Potter being discussed? Sure, it's a large part of many people's childhoods and a lot of people can make connections with other literature from it. But a whole class? I can't say I agree with that.
I can't believe that how would anyone actually make a class like that in the first place I never seen a book having such high praise to the point it might as well be the equivalent to the Bible to these people the book is okay what little I read when I was young but its not that great.

• Agree
Reactions: IAmNotAlpharius

Puddleduck

kiwifarms.net
Meh, without knowing much about it, it's hard to really react.
There are degrees "about" Beyonce and David Beckham but I'm pretty sure they're just labels, and the course content is about the respective industries, and uses the titled people as illustrative examples.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Agent Wet

MadDamon

MAD DAMON
kiwifarms.net
Meh, without knowing much about it, it's hard to really react.
There are degrees "about" Beyonce and David Beckham but I'm pretty sure they're just labels, and the course content is about the respective industries, and uses the titled people as illustrative examples.
There's a guy who headed a Beyonce program on kiwi ,, Kevin something. He is gay as hell and a huge twitter obsessed liberal, and his program is well, bad.

• Informative
Reactions: IAmNotAlpharius

The best and greatest

kiwifarms.net
A little late on this but it occurred to me that Snape being an asshole was really only in service to him being a red herring in the first book. It wasn't necessarily part of some greater character arc. The funny thing is that JK herself actually relishes in this misdirection in the actual book itself almost seeming to take a crack at the readership over it.

"You thought it was Snape, but it was me! Professor Quirrel!" or some-such.

Venus

Dat bitch
kiwifarms.net
Remember that time when Stephen King brown nosed JK Rowling while bashing Stephanie Meyer?

I don’t think stuff like this really helped with curbing Rowling’s ego.

• Agree
Reactions: Marco Fucko

Tasty Tatty

kiwifarms.net
This is what bugs me about the series, and I actually grew up reading it. I don't think it's necessarily bad that people are reading children's books into their adult years (hell, I still read The Hobbit and that's an actual children's book), it's just that people refuse to let it go and find something else to read.
"Back in the days", most people who discussed HP were also adults from 20s to 50s discussing the morals of the characters from an adult perspective, especially considering that Rowling had very good adult characters, albeit secondary.

Also, funny enough, most people moved on when the series ended. Especially after the "Dumbledore is gay" announcement. I remember one very smart person saying things would go down from there and he was right. It's the younger generations who can't give up Harry Potter for some reason. I think they're more in love with the brand and the experience than with the books and the story itself. That's a pattern among millenials: they don't love the product but what the product represents.

friedshrimp

uwuu
kiwifarms.net
It's why there's so much "nostalgic" properties out nowadays: remakes of every single entity known to man, and people still make hordes of merchandise of old IPs. Look at all that Nicktoons merch that's been out for a few years, yet the classic Nicktoons I guess haven't been on air for years.

Ponderous Pillock

Perfectly Presidential
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Rowling herself is trapped utterly in the monster she created.

When she went off to write Cormoran Strike novels she did so as "Robert Galbraith" to see if she was any good as an author without the Rowling name attached.

The end result?

Just 500 books sold for The Cuckoo's Calling.

it got so frustrating for her agent that they were the ones which let it slip, seeing the book sales rocket to nearly 140,000.

Sinners Sandwich

Eid Htrad Redav Eid !
kiwifarms.net
She fell into the same trap as many sucessful people: Her ego became incredibly bloated.

There is a great book called ego is the enemy. The author explains how to avoid becoming an arrogant prick and has many examples of famous people who utterly ruined their reputation and career.

Rowling is now another name on the long list of egomaniacs. She destroyed her reputation and is destroying her life's work as well.

AsbestosFlaygon

All avatar related complaints should go to Kiomei.
kiwifarms.net

When she went off to write Cormoran Strike novels she did so as "Robert Galbraith" to see if she was any good as an author without the Rowling name attached.

The end result?

it got so frustrating for her agent that they were the ones which let it slip, seeing the book sales rocket to nearly 140,000.
I'm curious, can someone that's read Rowling's other works explain in detail or point me somewhere that explains where they go wrong in comparison to Harry Potter? I know other's have mentioned they have issues but from what I can remember none really go into much detail.

Someone in a Tree

It's the ripple, not the sea that is happening
kiwifarms.net

The end result?

My understanding is that she wrote The Cuckoo's Calling under a pseudonym just so she could write and release the book without having to worry about the scrutiny and pressure she would have endured had the publisher released it as the next JK Rowling book. Say what you will about Harry Potter and The Casual Vacancy, but those works had an ambitious scope and following them up with a straightforward detective story would probably be viewed as underwhelming. It'd probably be called a potboiler if it weren't for Rowling's wealth.

But if she went with a pseudonym because she wanted to see if her work would rise without her name attached to it, that's just stunningly naive. The only way most authors can even get shelf space at a retailer is because of their name.

Reactions: ATaxingWoman

Inigo

kiwifarms.net
I'm curious, can someone that's read Rowling's other works explain in detail or point me somewhere that explains where they go wrong in comparison to Harry Potter? I know other's have mentioned they have issues but from what I can remember none really go into much detail.
What works in Harry Potter doesn't really work in the Cormoran Strike novels.

For example, Rowling has a tendency to foreshadow the conclusions to her novels way ahead of time. In Harry Potter this works really well because it is a fantasy setting with all sorts of fantastic details and red herrings implemented into the plot in a natural, believable way. Seeing weird shit in Harry Potter is normal, and this leads to first time readers generally having no idea what to expect.

Cormoran Strike is supposed to be a typical detective series, and this kind of approach in that setting makes most of the mysteries kind of straightforward and obvious. There are other things I like about them (The leads are actually super great) but this is kind of a buzzkill for a mystery series. Honestly reading these books gives me the impression that Rowling really wants to bang an older, grizzled detective.

Sinners Sandwich

Eid Htrad Redav Eid !
kiwifarms.net
It's only a matter of time until she claims certain characters are poly and belong to the other letters if the lgbtqxyz alphabet.

Snape is bisexual!
McGonagall is a lesbian and the whole turning into a cat thing was a hint!1
Luna is nonbinary!1

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino