• "DON'T. CALL. ANYBODY!"

James Damore et al v. Google LLC (2017)

Discussion in 'Lolcow & Lolcow LLP' started by mindlessobserver, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Oooooh yeah, I totally forgot!

• Feels Feels x 3
    getoffmylawn

getoffmylawn IT'S TIME TO ZAP TO THE EXTREME
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  2. There were a few threads over at /r/technology the other day, but nothing really that big. I think /r/programming is doing its best to stay clear from anything thats not actually programming either.

kiwifarms.net
  3. Oh gosh, I didn't know about any of that stuff. This is going to be the best legal choke-slam of all time. Autistic computer nerds have teamed up with the ultimate politically motivated attorney.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  4. One criticism of Google I've heard from my friends in software engineering is that they overemphasize GSM (gender and sexual minority) diversity to disguise the fact that the company is made up of almost all white or Asian middle-to-upper-class guys. It's a lot easier to start a polyamory or headmate chat group than it is to make sure poor black people can work at your company without being pushed out by the Bay area's cost of living.

Not to single out Google, but the LGBT/GSM emphasis is definitely noticeable with them. Faux diversity is common across a range of companies and industries.

• Informative Informative x 11
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Semper Fidelis Semper Fidelis x 1
    Don't Call Anybody

True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  5. Who gives a shit. Hire people who can do the fucking job. Your diversity hires are shit and your friends can choke on dick.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Autistic Autistic x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  6. Did you miss the part where he was criticizing them for their diversity hires, or what?

• Agree Agree x 1
    Computery Guy

Computery Guy You May Call Me Father

kiwifarms.net
  7. Null, he’s criticizing it. Pls calm down.

• Feels Feels x 3
    scared sheep

scared sheep Sheep Justice Warrior

kiwifarms.net
    • Informative Informative x 12
    • Like Like x 1
    • Semper Fidelis Semper Fidelis x 1
    #88 PhantomDiploma, Jan 13, 2018 at 4:40 PM
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 5:11 PM
    kiwifarms.net
  8. I think Damore has a disturbingly solid case. There legitimately WAS collusion to get him fired because of his race and political views.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    Echo_Ender

Echo_Ender Doggo

kiwifarms.net
  9. Those internal google forum quotes are horrible and nightmarish. It’s as if the worst twitter speds have taken over HR and middle management.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Feels Feels x 2
    Doug_Hitzel

Doug_Hitzel A healthy, young man

kiwifarms.net
  10. I was a lot less optimistic before it was pointed out that this case is framed exclusively in state law terms, and that political viewpoint discrimination is apparently illegal in California. Congratulations, California! That's a very progressive point of view. Tell us how it's working out for you in a couple years.

• Agree Agree x 6
    AnOminous

AnOminous get over it it will not get better just cope
    True & Honest Fan Retired Staff

kiwifarms.net
  11. I love it when progressive bullshit backfires on the smug authoritarians who created it.

• Agree Agree x 15
    • Like Like x 1
    Ruin

Ruin Mercenary Slut
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  12. Damore and his team are absolutely out for blood and will not settle. I think he said so himself but I can't find it, sorry. I also heard that him and his team could have gone for a safer case that would definitely win, but they took up the heaviest burden they could bear. It's going to be interesting.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Feels Feels x 1
    John Furrman

John Furrman Furfriend
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  13. Wow. I didn't know Google has become this fucking exceptional. This will be very interesting considering what has already come out.
    Although it won't be a killing blow, I feel this will start the decline.

• Agree Agree x 1
    knux

True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  14. That's worrying to hear.

These kinds of laws are vulnerable to manipulation in court. It's better for there to be a handful of settlements, and then have google (or whoever) realize they're fucking around with a losing game, than to bet the whole nut on one case, and then have it get thrown out because you refused to settle.

Marvin

Christorical Figure True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
    • Informative Informative x 2
    2odastream

2odastream r/Drama queen

kiwifarms.net
  15. Yeh, I was a little surprised when they decided it was going to be a class action. I mean, at first glance it seems rather far fetched..... but after looking at the filing, it sounds like there are even more people who will be joining this, and then all of a sudden it feels like a safer case wouldn't have been worth it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  16. He doesn't care what happens, it's entirely about the principle with this dude. He doesn't have anything to lose, or he thinks so anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
    John Furrman

John Furrman Furfriend
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  17. Right, but that's detrimental to the overall goal of showing Silicon Valley people that employment law goes both ways. I know he's being a sperg, and that's a bad thing for everyone else. (Is my point.)

Marvin

Christorical Figure True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    kiwifarms.net