Jared Leto stars as a Yakuza in 'The Outsider' - White People can't play with Asian gangsters!

• ATTENTION: The National Security Administration has made a press release regarding a Windows 10 remote execution exploit that any website can take advantage of. It is one of the worst exploits that has ever been found. Update Windows immediately.

NSA Press Release, "Am I vulnerable?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Done

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The gist of it: Netflix just launched a trailer for their new film, The Outsider, the basic plot seems to revolve around a WWII soldier who joins the Yakuza, this is the trailer:

Naturally, much REEing happened because of all the reasons you're accustomed to by now (racism, white, appropriation..etc), you will note that a lot of those tweets have a slightly different look, and that's because Twitter is nice enough to do our jobs for us and collect it all in one place called moments:

It all started with this clickbait from The AV Club:

upload_2018-2-24_5-39-12.png

And the salt. just. flows.
(And bear in mind, all these 'Likes' are now in the thousands.)

upload_2018-2-24_5-42-3.png
upload_2018-2-24_5-41-58.png
upload_2018-2-24_5-41-3.png

upload_2018-2-24_5-41-37.png
upload_2018-2-24_5-41-21.png
upload_2018-2-24_5-41-16.png

upload_2018-2-24_5-40-54.png
upload_2018-2-24_5-40-59.png
upload_2018-2-24_5-41-49.png

upload_2018-2-24_5-40-38.png
upload_2018-2-24_5-41-42.png
upload_2018-2-24_5-41-27.png

Last edited by a moderator:

RomanesEuntDomus

May contain nuts.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
IIRC, outsiders (i.e. often foreigners) are usually more welcome in Yakuza families than traditional Japanese people to the point where there are a lot of big name groups headed by Koreans, so this doesn't really sound that strange.
Pretty much that.
Yakuza are outsiders of the regular japanese society and they are involved in a lot of shady deals that often include dealing with people from Asia (human trafficking, prostitution, drug and firearms smuggling, you get the idea), so it's only natural that they are very open towards foreigners.
It's very easy to end up within such a power structure, it might be sufficient to work at a bar in -say- a shady part of Tokyo.

The Yakuza are what soaks up all the drop-outs from society, it's the logical conclusion that they end up with some white folk, too.

Whelp, the queen of movies has spoken, if a movie doesn't appeal to this person and this person specifically, it has no reason to exist, I guess.

Dysnomia

Danzai!
kiwifarms.net
So another The Last Samurai?

IIRC, outsiders (i.e. often foreigners) are usually more welcome in Yakuza families than traditional Japanese people to the point where there are a lot of big name groups headed by Koreans, so this doesn't really sound that strange.
This is interesting. I didn't know this. I'm surprised that none of these salty hags are bringing up the rumors that he's a disgusting perv that has had rough sex with underage girls. I can't stand him and he rubs me the wrong way. Jordan Catalano was just a wannabe Dylan McKay.

But it's not like this film is an affront to humanity Especially if it does indeed have a basis in reality. It's going to have tons of Asians in it anyway. They should be glad to see that. But shouldn't they also be REEEEing about the stereotypical portrayal of Asians? Because they always complain about them getting roles as criminals, martial artists and sidekicks.

Done

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, this is someone who just wants to be angry regardless of the reason:
Screenshot-2018-2-24 Today - Twitter Moments.png

Umm.. The Japanese and Koreans have already made tons of crime flicks, why is anybody in the US obligated to make films for asian people?
upload_2018-2-24_15-5-36.png

Some more salt:

upload_2018-2-24_15-7-57.pngupload_2018-2-24_15-8-46.pngupload_2018-2-24_15-10-12.png

Finally, this isn't really salt, but Tyce, what is this?

upload_2018-2-24_15-13-35.png

Next post, I will let the Twitter mine fill up a bit more, and take a look at what the clickbait crew came up with.

BatChatillon

kiwifarms.net
Jared Leto happily takes every role after his Joker performance in Suicide Squad.

Fight Club had the appropiate role for him, when Edward Norton beat the living shit out of him for being the whitest white-bread cracker available, ruining his face in the process. After that it's a downfall.

I mean, 30 Seconds To Mars is famous for what? Trailer music to a Heck Snyder movie about owls.

The Shadow

Animeanda Jones.
kiwifarms.net
Why, though? The people whining aren't japanese, they're at best random chucklefucks from 'murrica with asian ancestry.
This is true, and I think I was editing something to that effect into my original post. Honestly? It would just be a funny sentence to hear out loud.

Done

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This is the 1st clickbait I was able to look through, with more to come once I get back to the computer, in the meantime, I would appreciate it if we can take the salt:discussion ratio as high as we can..

This editorial on junkee.com tries to pretend to be balanced and impartial by listing a lot of the salt I have posted already, then posts some reasonable rebuttals (those exist too), but the author (Tom Clift) can't resist adding his salty opinion:

"[..] At the very least, the film looks like an obvious example of the super condescending white saviour trope. But more to the point, arguing that it isn’t whitewashing is to wilfully ignore the broader problem: time and time again, the entertainment industry overlooks and marginalises Asian actors and characters, even as it makes money by co-opting Asian culture.

It also means we’re not talking about the other big issue here, which is that Jared Leto sucks."

http://junkee.com/jared-leto-netflix-whitewashing-outsider/148190 (http://archive.li/HDoYO)

RomanesEuntDomus

May contain nuts.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This is the 1st clickbait I was able to look through, with more to come once I get back to the computer, in the meantime, I would appreciate it if we can take the salt:discussion ratio as high as we can..

This editorial on junkee.com tries to pretend to be balanced and impartial by listing a lot of the salt I have posted already, then posts some reasonable rebuttals (those exist too), but the author (Tom Clift) can't resist adding his salty opinion:

"[..] At the very least, the film looks like an obvious example of the super condescending white saviour trope. But more to the point, arguing that it isn’t whitewashing is to wilfully ignore the broader problem: time and time again, the entertainment industry overlooks and marginalises Asian actors and characters, even as it makes money by co-opting Asian culture.

It also means we’re not talking about the other big issue here, which is that Jared Leto sucks."

http://junkee.com/jared-leto-netflix-whitewashing-outsider/148190 (http://archive.li/HDoYO)
"... and therefore please allow me, a white saviour, to explain to you what's wrong with media centred around white saviours."
:story:

the butthurt.png

the butthurt 2.png

"Everybody I disagree with is literally Hitler a Jared Leto fan."

But this one really takes the cake:
filthy japs and their not crying like monkies over nonissues.png

Cause telling an entire group of people how they should behave and feel about things isn't bigoted at all.

Done

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Some more Twitter salt before we go back to the click baiters..

Projecting much?

upload_2018-2-24_20-3-52.png

A-Logging the guy because he took a gig, nice look.

upload_2018-2-24_20-4-28.png

Amazingly, there are people who are pissed off about other people getting pissed off about the movie, plus, how can you get sick and tired when it's not even 2 days since the trailer launch?

upload_2018-2-24_20-8-58.png

It's all because moviegoers are stupid:

upload_2018-2-24_20-13-10.png
upload_2018-2-24_20-13-32.png

Jared Leto sucks:

upload_2018-2-24_20-15-43.png

Thankfully, we have Dr. Thot to bring some wisdom to this barren land:

upload_2018-2-24_20-17-43.png

Attachments

c-no

Duck
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
As a bit a deviation, here are some YT comments that show some salt:
Last Samurai must make him Allergice.png
Reading the Synopsis must be like a manual no one does it.png
White Savior only for someone to refute it a comment later.png

Forgot White Guy saved by Japanese Mafia.png
Autistic Comment or Troll you decide.png

Since some people mention the synopsis include something like Leto being saved by the Yakuza and such, reading the synopsis to get a good idea of what this series is must be like reading the manual: no one got time for that before doing something related to it.

Irwin M. Felcher

immediate regret
kiwifarms.net
More from assorted comment sections:

Heh. "Whytflix".

Wow, lotta mileage on that title format. I wonder how many other movies are only memorable because of their titles like thWAIT WAIT WAIT I'VE GOT IT: Whiteystorm: The Destruction of Jared-San! :biggrin:

That username. Doesn't quite fit the message, does it?

Yeah, I hear y-- wait, what?!

Bonus Round:

God damn it, now I'm salty. (:_(

Tookie

Mountain of Molten Lust
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So another The Last Samurai?
Which was actually received pretty well in Japan, to the point it had a theatrical re-release there a couple years ago.

The only way anyone in Japan is going to give a shit about this is if they cast Chinese or Korean actors to play Japanese people. Yakuza films are pure pulp and you're not going to be getting much critical analysis of it even from people inclined to do that sort of thing for movies.

Ethnic Koreans make up around .5% of Japan's population but are something like 10% of Yakuza rank-and-file. A huge chunk of the remainder are descendants of "untouchable" castes that were still discriminated against a lot until recently.

Mod Edit: This is good info so I won't delete, but please remember Rule 1 of Salt Essentials.

Last edited by a moderator:

c-no

Duck
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
In relation to salty tweets and YT comments, one of them mentioned hearing of this from a blog made by an Asian American. It isn't surprising to know how a guy calling himself "Angry Asian" responds to this.
http://blog.angryasianman.com/2018/02/jared-leto-stars-as-japanese-gangster.html#more
Angry Asian is Angry.png

Looking outside of Twitter will only lead to angry tweets though
WEW LAD.png

In defense of the films this checkmark speaks of: Dr. Strange changed a character to appease China for that sweet Yuan, Ghost in the Shell uses a government robot to house the brain of a kidnapped Asian, The Last Samurai title actually refers to a group of Samurai Tom Cruise's character fights alongside, and Great Wall was Matt Damon's character learning to actually fight for something that isn't money while letting his Chinese co-star kill the alien's attacking the Great Wall.

"Yu" doesn't sound like a Japanese last name. And it's not. It's Chinese. As is the typical American first name, a very Chinese thing to do.

What I mean to say is - fuck off, this ain't about Yu.
Yu are very salty.
Yu are very salty.png

One can title his tweet as "Chinese American angry over show about Japan".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino