Jason Reitman to direct a new Ghostbusters movie - Here we go again

Megaroad

Do you accept people of the Jewish persuasion?
kiwifarms.net

Might.... might this not suck?

I do feel a little sad for Leslie Jones and it seemed she was one of the few who understood comedic timing in GB2016, only running off the rails completely when the others were warbling non-stop thanks to Paul Feig's "Directing".

It does seem like it's going back down the route it could've taken, namely "Schlubby exterminators hit absolute rock bottom." Meaning I doubt we'll see Bill Murray (despite a lot of the uploads of this teaser saying "OMGZ TEH BILL") and instead see Ernie Hudson and Dan Ackroyd hiding out on a farm somewhere avoiding creditors.

Should be ok.
Screw passing the torch. If Ernie Hudson got a bigger part, shared screen time with Dan, I'll be game for this.

Underrated actor.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Might.... might this not suck?

I do feel a little sad for Leslie Jones and it seemed she was one of the few who understood comedic timing in GB2016, only running off the rails completely when the others were warbling non-stop thanks to Paul Feig's "Directing".

It does seem like it's going back down the route it could've taken, namely "Schlubby exterminators hit absolute rock bottom." Meaning I doubt we'll see Bill Murray (despite a lot of the uploads of this teaser saying "OMGZ TEH BILL") and instead see Ernie Hudson and Dan Ackroyd hiding out on a farm somewhere avoiding creditors.

Should be ok.
I really don't get what people see in Jones. She isn't funny.

Ponderous Pillock

Perfectly Presidential
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I really don't get what people see in Jones. She isn't funny.
She's not, but out of the shitty casting we got she was the only one that seemed to actually fucking react to shit around her. Both the mannequin scene and the one with the demon on her shoulders are the only bits of the movie that didn't suck complete and utter ass and both include her and a chance for the fucking jokes to goddamn breathe.

Commander X

kiwifarms.net
Jason Reitman isn't a bad director but comedies are not really made by directors, they're made by actors and writers. The teaser is intriguing, mostly because it repurposes Elmer Bernstein's great score from the first and because the setting gets away from New York City. However it also has the feel of a studio cluelessly backtracking from a majorly flubbed project and I'm pretty sure no truly great comedy needs a sequel. We already had Ghostbusters II and that had more of a perfunctory, going through the motions feel to it - the early scene with Dan Akroyd reduced to putting on the costume and capering at childrens' birthday parties summed up the state of the "franchise" at the time, considering how through the 1990s Akroyd put a lot of effort into getting a GBIII off of the ground and got nowhere.

The zeitgeist that made Ghostbusters 1984 is long gone. It was a moment when all of the elements came together at the right time and now it is past. Without a really good script and a cast that is better than the usual collection of SNL losers and Apatow film rejects, this will just be another exercise in failure.

howyadoin

cool cat from a bland show
kiwifarms.net
Jason Reitman isn't a bad director but comedies are not really made by directors, they're made by actors and writers.
That depends though. Taika Waititi directed (and didn't write) Thor: Ragnarok, and the movie gave traditionally unfunny actors like Chris Hemsworth comedic roles and it's arguably one of the funniest MCU movies.

That being said, Taika Waititi has a background in comedy and I don't think Jason Reitman can be compared with him.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Chester Rigby

Cyborg Scars

Adam Sandler's #1 Fan
kiwifarms.net
This can't be too bad as long as Sony doesn't interfere too much and/or learned their lesson from 2016, as well as Dank Ackroyd not being given full creativity to write what he wants because he really needs someone to keep his writing sane. You've got a pretty good director who has a great deal of both love and respect for the original, it will follow up on the plot of the first ones but set modern day so we'll be getting old busters which could be good considering they always were meant to be schlubs and I can't say I've seen an exterminator who isn't getting on in years. Murry's unlikely to be in it, but then again the only thing he is likely to be in are Wes Anderson films. I also don't think we're likely to really get any of the supporting characters from the originals. Moranis is retired, Weaver doesn't need the money. Potts is still acting so maybe she could be in it but it would be unneeded. Slimer's a guarentee so as long as it's not to Slimer and the Real Ghostbusters point it shouldn't be that bad.

Overall I'm cautiously optimistic. Not excited but looking foraward to future news surrounding this picture

PS1gamenwatch

kiwifarms.net
Recently, Ernie Hudson implied the original Ghostbusters are back, and Harold Ramis is there in spirit:

https://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/news/ernie-hudson-implies-that-the-original-ghostbusters-are-back-in-new-film

ERNIE HUDSON IMPLIES THAT THE ORIGINAL GHOSTBUSTERS ARE BACK IN NEW FILM
16 hours ago by: Cody Hamman

The announcement that Jason Reitman will be directing a new GHOSTBUSTERS film that follows the original GHOSTBUSTERS and GHOSTBUSTERS II (which were directed by his father Ivan Reitman) rather than the 2016 reboot has stirred up a lot of excitement, although it's still not clear what role, if any, the surviving original Ghostbusters (Dan Aykroyd, Bill Murray, and Ernie Hudson) will be playing in the movie.

There is some hope that all three OG GBs will be showing up in it, since this is presumably the same project Aykroyd was talking about last November, when he mentioned during an interview with Dan Rather that there was "a possibility of a reunion with the three remaining Ghostbusters" and a script was in the works.

Now Hudson has raised hopes further. Asked about the new project by DailyMailTV, Hudson said that he misses late Ghostbuster Harold Ramis,

but his spirit is there. But Ivan Reitman is there and everybody is in."

That definitely makes it sound like Aykroyd, Murray, and Hudson will all be appearing in the new movie. But it's not really clear when DailyMailTV actually spoke to Hudson - was it after the Reitman announcement, or around the time of the Dan Aykroyd interview? The uncertainty comes from this quote:

Now whether the studio will do it, I'm the guy who sits by the phone and waits for the call. So if they call, I'll answer. If not, I've got other stuff that I'm doing."

Obviously, at this point it's very clear that Sony does intend to make this movie. They're already announced a summer 2020 release and put a teaser trailer online (you can see that below). With the film expected to go into production this summer, Hudson should have receieved his phone call by now. If he hasn't yet, I suspect he will soon.

Jason Reitman has written the script for the new GHOSTBUSTERS with MONSTER HOUSE's Gil Kenan and is currently seeking to cast four teenagers (two boys and two girls) who play an important role in the story.

Ponderous Pillock

Perfectly Presidential
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This can't be too bad as long as Sony doesn't interfere too much and/or learned their lesson from 2016, as well as Dank Ackroyd not being given full creativity to write what he wants because he really needs someone to keep his writing sane.
Ivan Retiman produced the original Ghostbusters as well, so with him and Ramis to hand the scripting could be pared down and made to work well. This time it's Ivan producing, with Jason directing and writing alongside Dank Ackroyd, but the hope is a lot of Crystal Skull Vodka will be shipped in to keep Dan liquored up while the rest is left to Jason and Ivan, the latter of whom really made the original pop.

Jetpack Himmler

Grizzled Culture War Veteran
kiwifarms.net

Ponderous Pillock

Perfectly Presidential
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Like I said elsewhere, you'd turn it into a commentary on the corpratist nightmare, replite with robot customer service helpers and it'd have the neat ability to just let Bill Murray be a complete asshole and play rounds of golf while not giving a shit about the people on the front line. (ya know, like literally his role in Zombieland?)

Heck, there's even a fucking reference to this as a potential end game in the original Ghostbusters "The franchising rights ALONE are going to make us rich!"

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino