Jason Reitman to direct a new Ghostbusters movie - Here we go again

Ebonic Tutor

"Shitposting at any cost."
kiwifarms.net
Heck, there's even a fucking reference to this as a potential end game in the original Ghostbusters "The franchising rights ALONE are going to make us rich!"
The original concept Ackroyd had involved there being more than one group of Ghostbusters to the point they were just like literal exterminators you'd call. Was to large in scope so it got narrowed down to a origin story.

Ponderous Pillock

Perfectly Presidential
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The original concept Ackroyd had involved there being more than one group of Ghostbusters to the point they were just like literal exterminators you'd call. Was to large in scope so it got narrowed down to a origin story.
Which could be done today and easily as all hell with the kind of money Hollywood tends to throw at these kinds of projects.

Ebonic Tutor

"Shitposting at any cost."
kiwifarms.net
Which could be done today and easily as all hell with the kind of money Hollywood tends to throw at these kinds of projects.
It almost seems like the direction the studio might have been taking and just fucked up bad with the first group (GB2016) considering the whole Ghost Corp. production company thing. Like they were going to try and pull a MCU with Ghostbusters almost.

Jetpack Himmler

Grizzled Culture War Veteran
kiwifarms.net
It almost seems like the direction the studio might have been taking and just fucked up bad with the first group (GB2016) considering the whole Ghost Corp. production company thing. Like they were going to try and pull a MCU with Ghostbusters almost.
Every studio has been attempting to copy Marvel's formula, but has either struggled (the DCEU) or outright failed (Universal's attempt with the Dark Universe.) The main problem is that GB isn't a franchise that lends itself well to a cinematic universe because it is at its heart a single genre: supernatural comedy. Marvel may be capeshit at its core, but it tends to blend with other genres like science fiction in Guardians of the Galaxy, and conspiracy thrillers as the case was for the Winter Soldier. I frankly don't see GB blending with other genres as readily.

PS1gamenwatch

kiwifarms.net
Character and Plot details for new Ghostbusters:

https://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/news/character-plot-details-revealed-for-ghostbusters-3?fbclid=IwAR0qvkJlvqEXXgp3dVpEnsLzh6YUAEzoPpb2dgT_IbM-xU-S0QwSuygcweA

As we all know, director Ivan Reitman’s son Jason will be helming the upcoming GHOSTBUSTERS 3 (or whatever they're calling it) and the new movie will go back to the continuity of the first two films. And today we have some more details on just what we can expect to see when the movie lands in Summer 2020. None of this has been confirmed yet, but the info comes from trusted sources so I guess we'll eventually see what shakes out.

First, Borys Kit of THR revealed over on Twitter that "The main characters will be 4 teens: 2 boys, 2 girls, per sources."

And We Got This Covered laid out a few more details regarding the two central characters, a young boy and girl. The young girl will evidently "cross paths with the aforementioned boy at some point in the film and they quickly become friends." She’s 12 years old and "an insanely smart kid. However, she often has a hard time interpreting and expressing emotions and speaks with a flat delivery that makes her observations humorous.”

Add to that the site reports that "though she wants to connect with others, she struggles with interpreting how her family and friends feel and has difficulty sharing her own feelings. Her science acumen is said to prove invaluable throughout the story, though."

Sounds like Aspergers to me. But I'm not a doctor. As for the other main character, the boy will be 13 years old and is said to be "passionate about fantasy and conspiracy theories. Furthermore, he apparently approaches every situation with unbridled excitement for the unknown" and he "will narrate life in real time, adding descriptive color to the people he meets."

As for the plot, the film is said to

focus on a family who moves back home to a small town. While there, they begin to learn more about who they are and the secrets of the town itself.

That's all we know at the moment, but I'm thinking we can expect to see all of this tie back to the original team of Ghostbusters in some way. But again, who knows? I also think these details make sense in that - following all the controversy surrounding the "all-female" GHOSTBUSTERS movie from 2016, Sony is splitting the difference and making the cast half male and half female. Smart move? I guess We'll find out come Summer 2020.

Reactions: howyadoin

Tragi-Chan

Godmaster Reverend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Every studio has been attempting to copy Marvel's formula, but has either struggled (the DCEU) or outright failed (Universal's attempt with the Dark Universe.) The main problem is that GB isn't a franchise that lends itself well to a cinematic universe because it is at its heart a single genre: supernatural comedy. Marvel may be capeshit at its core, but it tends to blend with other genres like science fiction in Guardians of the Galaxy, and conspiracy thrillers as the case was for the Winter Soldier. I frankly don't see GB blending with other genres as readily.
Really, there's one idea at the heart of it. There are ghosts, and there are scientists-turned-exterminators. There's nothing to expand upon. What could you do for a spin-off? A different team in another city? A team that handles different kinds of ghosts? How do you keep it feeling like a Ghostbusters movie without it feeling redundant?
Could work. I think if I were writing it, I'd go with the popular concept of passing the torch, but have it centre on Winston as the mentor. He was the non-scientist of the group and it would be fun to put him in the position of having to be the smart guy. Maybe have the young ones being sciencey and thinking they're hot shit compared to the blue collar old guy. And keep it low budget.

To be honest, though, even if it's a great movie, it'll probably flop. The 2016 movie came out 27 years after the previous Ghostbusters film, when there was no real appetite for a Ghostbusters movie, let alone a total reboot with a political agenda. It wasn't Ghostbusters enough for fans, it was too attached to the originals to be its own separate thing and it just wasn't a very good film in its own right. The brand, including the goodwill generated by nostalgia, is poisoned.

Reactions: frozenrunner

Stoneheart

kiwifarms.net
The Joke is, Sony has maybe the most succesfull consoles, but no Gaming IPs they could turn into movies(unlike nintendo or even Sega).

frozenrunner

I could really use the salt
kiwifarms.net
I don't know how you can be a Mary Sue and Autistic at the same time unless this is Sonichu-tier writing
If they cast a pretty girl, her autism will nominally be a character flaw but will actually function as a "genius" superpower.

PS1gamenwatch

kiwifarms.net
Ok, so far it is reported that it's locked for a July 10 release:

https://www.joblo.com/movie-news/ghostbusters-3-locks-in-july-2020-release-date

GHOSTBUSTERS 3 LOCKS IN JULY 2020 RELEASE DATE
a day ago by: Kalyn Corrigan

Deadline has confirmed that Jason Reitman's GHOSTBUSTERS 3 has officially locked in a July 10th, 2020 release date.

It was only 10 days ago that Columbia Pictures announced their plans for a brand new GHOSTBUSTERS film, but the studio has already dropped a teaser trailer and confirmed a release date just a little over a year from today. As previously reported, Ivan Reitman's son Jason will be helming the upcoming GHOSTBUSTERS 3, which is said to be a direct sequel from the all male 1989 GHOSTBUSTERS II, thereby ignoring the 2016 reboot starring Melissa McCarthy, Kate McKinnon, Leslie Jones, and Kristen Wiig. The film is said to star all men, because of course it does.

The plot of the film is said to:

"focus on a family who moves back home to a small town. While there, they begin to learn more about who they are and the secrets of the town itself."

neverendingmidi

it just goes on and on and on and on...
kiwifarms.net
Ok, so far it is reported that it's locked for a July 10 release:

https://www.joblo.com/movie-news/ghostbusters-3-locks-in-july-2020-release-date
Have they even written a script? Hired anybody? Picked the goddamn locations?

Seems like they're really hustling this along which makes me wonder if it's another "improv hell" movie that's slashed together in the editing room like the last one. I'd expect principal photography starting pretty damn soon in order to get started on the CGI that's going to be added.

Kind of funny how fast they're trying to shove this out when they had the Girlbusters doing hospital visits what, a year before the movie came out? Then again it's not like that movie had a script either.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino