Culture JDS Megathread - Jussay Smollett files fake hate crime report and gets away with it >:(

GrungyLawnChlorinate

confirmed hairless and stable
kiwifarms.net
State's Attorney Kim Foxx calls Jussie Smollett ‘washed up celeb who lied to cops’ in text message: report

Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx described “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett as a “washed up celeb who lied to cops” in texts messages released Tuesday by her office in response to a public-records request by the Chicago Tribune.

Foxx compared Smollett’s case to her office’s pending indictments against R&B singer R. Kelly in text messages to Joseph Magats, her top assistant, on March 8, the paper reported

“Pedophile with 4 victims 10 counts. Washed up celeb who lied to cops, 16 (counts),” she wrote. “… Just because we can charge something doesn’t mean we should.”

"On a case eligible for deferred prosecution I think it’s indicative of something we should be looking at generally,” Foxx continued.

Smollett, who is openly gay, was indicted on 16 counts of disorderly conduct on suspicion of staging a Jan. 29 hate crime attack on himself. He claimed two men beat and shouted slurs at him and wrapped a noose around his neck.

Foxx and Magats continued to communicate via text message about aspects of the investigation. On March 3, Magats reported that he gave Foxx’s phone number to Michael Avenatti, who had joined the case, according to text messages.

“…….. so Michael Avenatti reached out. Apparently he’s coming in to represent the Nigerian brothers in Smollet. I gave him your office number,” Magats wrote.

Foxx issued a statement on Feb. 19 recusing herself from high-profile case. Prosecutors, last month, argued that Foxx never formally recused herself amid questions over her office’s decision to drop the charges against Smollett.

That decision created a firestorm of protest from local officials.

The communication between Foxx and Magats raised questions of whether she continued to take a role in the case after stepping away. In a statement Tuesday night, Foxx defended her messages to Magats.

“After the indictment became public, I reached out to Joe to discuss reviewing office policies to assure consistencies in our charging and our use of appropriate charging authority,” Foxx said in a statement obtained by USA Today. “I was elected to bring criminal justice reform and that includes intentionality, consistency, and discretion. I will continue to uphold these guiding principles.”

A representative for Smollett did not immediately return a Fox News request for comment Tuesday night.

The text messages also appeared to show that prosecutors notified Chicago police moments before the charges were dropped against Smollett, the Tribune reported.

“Eddie just called. (He) needed to know how to answer questions from press,” Foxx texted Magats, referring to Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson. She said Johnson seemed “satisfied” with her explanation that Smollett had completed community service and turned over his $10,000 bond money to the city.

John and Mayor Rahm Emanuel held a news conference that morning blasting the prosecutor’s decision, calling it a “whitewash of justice.”

The city has sued Smollett for the $130,000 in police overtime spent investigating the alleged hoax.

The Cook County state's attorney's office late Tuesday released hundreds of text messages and over 3,000 pages of often-duplicitous emails related to the Jussie Smollett hoax hate crime case.

CWBChicago has summarized our review of the materials in Twitter threads here and here.

Our reporting makes a number of appearances in the produced documents. In one exchange, top staffers in the prosecutor's office appear—uh—disappointed to learn that CWBChicago foundthat every other person who faced the same charges as Smollett under Kim Foxx was forced to plead guilty to a felony before the state would agree to settlement terms.

In another text thread, a top Foxx adviser called Chicago police detectives "the worst" as he wrongly blamed those investigators for the "leak" that led to CWBChicago's breaking news that a grand jury had charged Smollett with sixteen felony counts. Another staffer calls CWB "the culprit" responsible for reporting the grand jury's action.

The truth is that CWBChicago's reporting team discovered the story by doing what they do every day: They scoured active criminal and civil court files for developments of interest to the public—then, they told you about it. Those darned "culprits." Telling the public about what's happening in the people's courthouse. Such scandalous behavior might be enough to make a prosecutor seal case records prematurely in the future. Oh, wait....

For the curious, we are pleased to offer direct links to all of the materials produced by the Cook County State's Attorney Office last night:

File 1 — Emails (PDF. Download only. 332M)

File 2 — Text messages (PDF)

File 3 — Excluded material (PDF)
CWB Chicago dumps documents containing 100s of text messages and 3000+ email on Jussies Mullet case.

https://twitter.com/RaferWeigel/status/1118359912785043459

https://twitter.com/CharlieDeMar/status/1118540822071345152

https://twitter.com/RobElgasABC7/status/1118324364561321985

Last edited:

Charlie Delicious

kiwifarms.net
Do I have this right:

Feb 19th
  • Kim Foxx recuses herself from Jussie case citing relationship with Jussie's family
  • First Assistant State's Attorney Joseph Magats made acting state's attorney for Jussie case
March 8th
  • Foxx contacts Magats stating “… Just because we can charge something doesn’t mean we should.”

March 26th
  • Magats drops all charges against Jussie.

1Tonka_Truck

Loaded Like A Boxcar Moving Like A Racecar
kiwifarms.net
Do I have this right:

Feb 19th
  • Kim Foxx recuses herself from Jussie case citing relationship with Jussie's family
  • First Assistant State's Attorney Joseph Magats made acting state's attorney for Jussie case
March 8th
  • Foxx contacts Magats stating “… Just because we can charge something doesn’t mean we should.”
March 26th
Looks right to me. It's almost like there is a reason when the State's Attorney recuses themselves from a case, the case is normally moved to a neighboring county.

AnOminous

do you see what happens
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Do I have this right:

Feb 19th
March 8th
March 26th
Yeah, that's some bullshit. That's the opposite of "recusing" yourself. That's faking a recusal while actually still making the decision.

Looks right to me. It's almost like there is a reason when the State's Attorney recuses themselves from a case, the case is normally moved to a neighboring county.
It's to prevent exactly this kind of bullshit. Even a non-corrupt DA could do this and fuck up and just by being the boss, their slightest comment about the matter could be taken as an order.

This bitch is not non-corrupt, though.

Solzhenitsyn

pls pet
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

CWB Chicago dumps documents containing 100s of text messages and 3000+ email on Jussies Mullet case.

View attachment 728998

View attachment 729002

View attachment 729003

View attachment 729005
Why the fuck do you even become a prosecutor if you don't want to prosecute people?

sperginity

defenestrator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

View attachment 728998

View attachment 729002

View attachment 729003

View attachment 729005
this dumb bitch managed to fuck up the smollet case AND the R Kelly case at the same fucking time. Jesus christ.

GrungyLawnChlorinate

confirmed hairless and stable
kiwifarms.net
Jussie Smollett now suffers from ‘night terrors,’ his brother says
Jussie Smollett’s brother staunchly defended the actor in an op-ed that provided insight into how Smollett wanted to handle the allaged attack — and how it has affected him since.

In a piece for BET, Jojo Smollett wrote that his brother is an “exceptional individual" whose character on the show “'Empire' represents much of who he is and has given voice to people who have been historically marginalized.”
Smollett, who is gay and plays a gay character on the FOX show, made national headlines in January after he said two men yelled racist and homophobic slurs at him and put a rope around his neck.
T
he attack spurred a massive investigation, but the case was turned upside down when the Chicago Police Department accused Jussie of staging the assault. He was indicted on 16 felony counts in early March; however, the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office eventually dismissed all charges against him.

Jojo disputed claims that his brother staged the attack for a financial gain or more press. He noted that Jussie was involved in a slew of projects, “all pointing to not only an advancing career but a business savvy mind.”
“To suggest that he staged his own attack to boost a sagging career is ludicrous,” he wrote.
The piece, entitled “What if Jussie is telling the truth?” and published Saturday, also alleged that Jussie “didn’t even want to contact the police.”

“He was weary and didn’t care for the unnecessary attention it might garner.His choreographer insisted, and the choreographer contacted the police himself,” Jojo wrote.

He claimed that his brother now suffers mentally.

“Jussie is as strong as iron, but following an attack like this, there is a normal and natural amount of post trauma that mostly anyone should expect to suffer,” Jojo wrote. “I have literally seen him violently awakening from night terrors, following the assault. Some of my siblings, as well as Jussie’s partner and closest friends have seen similar things.”
The op-ed ends with a plea from Jojo to the public.

“I am simply hoping there are some conscious-minded people out there who, instead of carelessly victim blaming and shaming, want to loudly ask the simple question: ‘What if Jussie is telling the truth?’”
JoJo Smollett: What If Jussie Is Telling The Truth?

In an exclusive essay for BET, JoJo Smollett says his brother was condemned by the Chicago Police Department in an unjust investigation.
Editor's Note: Jojo Smollett is the eldest of the Smollett siblings. He runs a nonprofit that helps developmentally disabled people successfully join America’s work force. The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of BET.
It has not yet been 90 days
since my younger brother, Jussie Smollett, was assaulted on a cold winter night in Chicago. Within less than three months, his life has been turned upside down as my family and I have witnessed him endure unrelenting attacks to his character and reputation. Like so many others, this entire process quickly devolved from a focus on him as a victim of assault, to him being falsely accused and held responsible for a crime that was perpetrated against him. To define this experience as unjust would be an understatement.

After several leaks from “unnamed” police sources and despite a long history of wrongful accusations from the Chicago Police Department, many in the media accepted these unconfirmed reports as fact. The numerous police leaks, which prompted an internal Chicago Police investigation, convicted Jussie in the court of public opinion before he even entered a courtroom.

On February 14, the day that the Osundario brothers were brought in for questioning as suspects, Fox News reported that the Chicago Police Communications Director, in response to leaked sources within the department, had begun spreading the word that Jussie had supposedly staged the attack, stated that the police chief “has contacted @ABC7Chicago to state on the record that we have no evidence to support their reporting and their supposed CPD sources are uninformed and inaccurate.”
If the CPD had no evidence to support the idea of a hoax, prior to interviewing the Osundarios, then they base their whole case against Jussie on that interview. The police chief later admitted that the men made no mention of a hoax until the final hour that they could legally be held.
By this time, Jussie had already refused to sign a complaint against the Osundarios, convinced that these men, one who he had considered a friend and the other an acquaintance, could not be his attackers. Most importantly, detectives refused to show Jussie video, photos, or any evidence to prove they were the attackers. The fact that these two brothers, who in the final hour confessed to attacking my brother yet say it was Jussie who told them to, is all the evidence that the police and the general public needed to be convinced, should be frightening to everyone.
Is that all it takes to destroy a lifelong dedication to one’s craft and community? Is it really that easy to convince the world of a person’s guilt? Is that all it takes to turn someone’s life upside down in America? Simply ask yourself this, “What if Jussie is telling the truth?”
With not one inkling of solid evidence, many believed the false witness testimony from two suspects who turned into witnesses, even though they lacked standard credibility. It was under-reported that one of the “witnesses” had previously been arrested for attempted murder ending with a plea deal for aggravated battery, or that the brothers repeatedly expressed homophobia on their social media in the past. Additionally, it was never reported that they changed their story while under police interrogation.
Jussie was booked,
arrested and has maintained his innocence the entire time. Following an evaluation by prosecutors, before any court proceedings or a trial, the case was dismissed – dropped completely. I think that they, being legally trained and experienced, determined that the case against Jussie was weak. There were lots of things that came out in public to give them concern. After the initial reporting about a “check” paid to allegedly stage the incident, which turned out to have been a check for personal training and nutrition, other inconsistencies came out where the public accusations did not match up against the truth.
One important note, the Superintendent of the Chicago Police Department announced publicly that Jussie’s motive in staging an attack was so he could make more money from Empire. Fox immediately said that wasn’t true but the police chief never withdrew his accusation. The chief also stated as fact that Jussie had sent himself the threatening letter that arrived at the Empire production offices weeks before the attack. The FBI then refuted this claim. Again, the chief did not correct his accusations. Letting it float for the public to either believe or not.

After several of these examples, anyone would have concluded what we knew — that the entire police case rested on two witnesses that lacked credibility and there was no physical evidence tying Jussie to this crime.
Is that all it takes to destroy a lifelong dedication to one’s craft and community? Is it really that easy to convince the world of a person’s guilt? Is that all it takes to turn someone’s life upside down in America?
I was shocked at how easily
easily everyone accepted the ridiculous motive about Jussie’s career that was promulgated. Jussie had actually begun directing episodes of Empire, which brought additional compensation. He worked out a deal with Fox to own 100% of his music masters , released an album, which lead to a sold out world tour and he donated every cent of ticket sales to charity. He even signed the group, June’s Diary, to his label. My brother was developing two films with one of the biggest producers in Hollywood, had the lead to a Broadway show on the table and owns the option rights to the authorized autobiography of his idol, Alvin Ailey. All pointing to not only an advancing career but a business savvy mind. To suggest that he staged his own attack to boost a sagging career is ludicrous. Jussie has a team of extremely effective agents, managers, publicists, and attorneys who helped him acquire career advancement. He wouldn't need to roll around on the icy ground of a Chicago street, staging an attack on himself to make this happen.
Our democratic system of law and justice has made progress over the years. Racial, religious minorities, women and the LGBTQ communities have slowly won greater equality and justice. However, there is still a long way to go. We can’t ignore the desire among the far-right to criminalize whole sectors of the country, which they either refuse to accept or feel are natural political opponents. What exacerbates these problems is the bandwagoning and tyranny of the “perceived” majority, which frequently takes shape on social media.
Let me be clear, it is undeniable that many people on social media support my brother. The love he receives from his village, fans and fellow activists is real. His gratitude is unwavering. What concerned me the most is, as the CPD continued their campaign against Jussie, I started to notice an online “bandwagon” approaching ignoring whether there were any real facts to suggest his guilt. In an effort to fit in with the momentum on social media, many appeared to roast him, demean him, and laugh at a traumatic and painful ordeal. Jussie is as strong as iron, but following an attack like this, there is a normal and natural amount of post trauma that mostly anyone should expect to suffer. I have literally seen him violently awakening from night terrors, following the assault. Some of my siblings, as well as Jussie’s partner and closest friends have seen similar things.

While very few people are courageous enough to swim upstream and resist the popular conformity of the day, I still can’t believe how many people failed to ask the question: “What if Jussie is telling the truth?”
While very few people are courageous enough to swim upstream and resist the popular conformity of the day, I still can’t believe how many people failed to ask the question: 'What if Jussie is telling the truth?'
This public persecution
also happened to an unusually good, soulful and spiritual man. Jussie is an exceptional individual. He’s a loving son, brother, partner, and friend. Jussie’s character on Empire represents much of who he is and has given voice to people who have been historically marginalized. Television has never shown an openly gay, African American man, freely illustrating the depth and range of character, like Jussie’s portrayal of Jamal Lyon on Empire.
My brother takes serious what he represents. Jussie is also immensely generous to people and organizations. He has been extremely outspoken on issues that not only affect the communities he is directly a part of but for every marginalized creature. He has donated time, money and clean water to Flint Michigan. He consistently gives to the Human Rights Campaign, Flint Kids, he sits on the board of the Black AIDS Institute and the Trayvon Martin Foundation.
Jussie actively fundraised to save Bennett College, which is one of only two all-women Historically Black Colleges and Universities. He is a humble man whose charitable work, usually goes unnoticed and he never seeks attention for it. Jussie didn’t even want to contact the police, following his assault. He was weary and didn’t care for the unnecessary attention it might garner.
His choreographer insisted, and the choreographer contacted the police himself. It should be noted: if he staged the attack for publicity to boost his career, as alleged, why would he not want to make the incident public?
Previous

We live in a country that promises liberty, justice and the pursuit of happiness. Jussie deserves those civil guarantees as much as everyone else.
Jussie has been an entertainer since the age of five, and loves his craft. He is a consummate singer, dancer, actor, and the funniest person I have ever known. Today, unfortunately, he finds his livelihood in jeopardy. Jussie was concerned that forfeiting the $10,000 bail could look like an admission of guilt. In fact, not paying, and proceeding with a potentially multi-year process that would bankrupt him and his career was not a realistic option. Even now he carries immense financial burdens for his legal defense and security needs.
We live in a country
that promises liberty, justice and the pursuit of happiness. Jussie deserves those civil guarantees as much as everyone else. Our sisters, brothers and non-gender conforming individuals, progressive and LGBTQ communities, know very well that being wrongfully accused happens far too often. Make no mistake. I know with all my heart that plenty of people in his life are far worse off. I am definitely not asking you to feel sorry for my brother. He would never allow that. He still carries a humility, grace and knows he walks in more rarified air than so many people who have been wrongly accused and paying a heavy price.
I am simply hoping there are some conscious-minded people out there who, instead of carelessly victim blaming and shaming, want to loudly ask the simple question: “What if Jussie is telling the truth?”

How are you going to name your kid JoJo? Not just Jojo, but JoJo, two capital Js. That is what you name a circus monkey or a particularly dimwitted dog.

Ebonic Tutor

"Shitposting at any cost."
kiwifarms.net

BR55

kiwifarms.net
So at what point does a corrupt prosecutor actually have consequences? Is there any oversight at all? Is it strictly oversight by a biased political office, so she'll be safe as long as the right party letter is after her name? Can the feds actually do anything about it?

I'm genuinely curious.
It's Chicago and she has the alrighty D after her name.
The idea of her facing any consequences for this is a fucking meme.

X Prime

kiwifarms.net
It's worse than that.

Say someone did try to fire Foxx. She could instantly create a media shitstorm by claiming it's because she goes by "restorative justice" principles. Ergo firing her is a continuance of white supremacy, racism, etc.

• Feels
Reactions: spiritofamermaid

Pargon

Internet Segregationist
kiwifarms.net

"Thundercunt does something publicly exceptional displaying obvious political bias, receives social repercussion"

Not enough in my opinion, but being that she won't see any other consequences for it I'm good with a bunch of idiots calling her a dumb nigger.

nets_awesome

I want you to lose turdy pound in one munt.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The two brothers who staged the attack are suing Jussie’s lawyers for defamation, specifically involving a podcast the lawyers were on and the statements they made:
  • That Jussie and one of the brothers were in a gay relationship
  • That they both committed perjury
  • That they wore white face to hide their identities
  • That Jussie’s lawyers implicate the brothers as the real criminals

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino