Jeffery Allen / Gottfried Roser / Grandmaster Roser / Talon Combat System / Roser Martial Arts Center - "Most Dangerous Man on The Planet," Mall Ninja, Military Trained Keyboard Warrior

AprilRains

Drowning Pumpkin
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What exactly had Boyington to do with snipers? Boyington was a WW2 Flying Tigers/USMC Fighter pilot. Also I've never heard of any controversy regarding Boyingtons air victories as it was common during WW2 for the USN/USMC and the USAAF to use gun cam footage. I'm a little bit confused right now.
Bruce Gamble has described some of Boyington's autobiographical claims as exaggerated. I don't think he disputes the air victories.

• Informative
Reactions: Wilhelm Bittrich

ColtWalker1847

kiwifarms.net
What exactly had Boyington to do with snipers? Boyington was a WW2 Flying Tigers/USMC Fighter pilot. Also I've never heard of any controversy regarding Boyingtons air victories as it was common during WW2 for the USN/USMC and the USAAF to use gun cam footage. I'm a little bit confused right now.
Boyington was a drunkard who exaggerated his kills. Gun cam footage was not proven to be terribly accurate post war. He began telling tall tales and inflating his kills when he was with the AVG (their records have him at 2 aerial victories, he claimed 6) and it continued after he left and was in the USMC. He even got a kill when he was in a POW camp (he claimed victories on the day he was shot down.) Those kills were used to pass Joe Foss as the leading USMC ace, funnily enough, and were not credited to Boyington until after the war.

There are a couple books about him and the shadiness of his kill numbers.

• Informative
Reactions: Wilhelm Bittrich

Wilhelm Bittrich

Ma'am, this is a Wendy’s!
kiwifarms.net
Boyington was a drunkard who exaggerated his kills. Gun cam footage was not proven to be terribly accurate post war. He began telling tall tales and inflating his kills when he was with the AVG (their records have him at 2 aerial victories, he claimed 6) and it continued after he left and was in the USMC. He even got a kill when he was in a POW camp (he claimed victories on the day he was shot down.) Those kills were used to pass Joe Foss as the leading USMC ace, funnily enough, and were not credited to Boyington until after the war.

There are a couple books about him and the shadiness of his kill numbers.
Thanks for the explanation, I really appreciate it. The PTO isn't really my field of expertise so I was wondering myself why you mentioned Boyington.
I don't know if he already was a drunkard during the war but after being a "guest" of the japanese in WW2 becoming one wouldn't make me wonder. I've read horrifying stories about japanese pow camps which is so much contrary to how they treated their pow's in WW1 I'm still asking myself how could a whole country shift so much into the extreme in just a few decades.

ColtWalker1847

kiwifarms.net
Thanks for the explanation, I really appreciate it. The PTO isn't really my field of expertise so I was wondering myself why you mentioned Boyington.
I don't know if he already was a drunkard during the war but after being a "guest" of the japanese in WW2 becoming one wouldn't make me wonder. I've read horrifying stories about japanese pow camps which is so much contrary to how they treated their pow's in WW1 I'm still asking myself how could a whole country shift so much into the extreme in just a few decades.
No he was a drunk before. It's why he ended up in the AVG and not staying in the USMC. And also why he left the AVG for the USMC. That's what drunks did back in the day. Just bounced from job to job.