Jewish group calls on Congress to make Holocaust education mandatory in US schools - First three weeks? Holocaust.

• The Kiwi Farms is running a Fediverse Node, which is like Twitter but decentralized between many individual providers, similar to email. Feel free to sign up and follow me. There are many more services we federate with, and you will see all that content with one account. (Feedback thread.)

Maintenance is concluded.

Figger Naggot

Turning Point Tel Aviv
kiwifarms.net

The World Jewish Congress is pushing US lawmakers to make Holocaust education mandatory in all schools, citing statistics from a 2018 poll revealing half of millennials can’t name a single Nazi concentration camp.
The WJC started a petition calling on Congress to “make Holocaust education mandatory in every school in the United States,” that has garnered 8,500 signatures so far. The petition points to a rise in antisemitism and warns that “the horrors of the Holocaust are fading from our collective memory, especially among millennials.”

It refers to statistics found in the 2018 Holocaust Knowledge and Awareness Study which surveyed 1,350 Americans aged 18 and over and found 49 percent of millennials and 45 percent of adults couldn’t name a concentration camp or ghetto in Europe during the Holocaust. It also revealed that 41 percent of millennials think the number of Jews killed in the Holocaust was two million or less, rather than six million.

‘The Never Again Education Act’ would create a grant program run by the Department of Education to provide teachers with training and tools to teach students about the Holocaust “and the repercussions that hate and intolerance can have on our society.”

The bill was reintroduced in January by Representative Carolyn Maloney (D-NY) after failing to be enacted at a previous session of Congress. California, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, and Rhode Island already have laws requiring schools to teach students about the Holocaust.
The petition is going at 11,000 strong!

EurocopterTigre

S-s-stop staring at my tail rotor baka~
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's not already? I don't think I know anyone who didn't have the Holocaust covered in some capacity during their schooling or was unable to give at least a basic outline of what it was.

Edit: Hell, even though most of my elementary and high school history classes barely touched anything past 1916 it was still covered multiple times, and I had to read Ellie Wisel's book in an English class. That 50% statistic seems grossly inflated like the 6 gorillion dead because pretty much everyone knows the name Auschwitz.

Last edited:

break these cuffs

You must attack the word bastards
kiwifarms.net
It's not already? I don't think I know anyone who didn't have the Holocaust covered in some capacity during their schooling or was unable to give at least a basic outline of what it was.
It must be amended to the Constitution so that everyone remembers the 6 GORILLION. Other stories about this I've seen have lamented at the fact that kids can't name a single concentration camp and generally don't seem to give a shit about it anymore.
Same here. If I recall correctly it's a very important part of WW2 history, so what schools haven't been teaching it?
No, schools are teaching it. Kids just care about it as much as they care about the rest of the history they learn.

Super-Chevy454

kiwifarms.net
Should schools also talk of the Armenian Genocide and the Holodomor if the Holocaust education is mandatory? On the other hand, I wonder if putting Holocaust education mandatory won't create some sort of Holocaust fatigue?

Everyone must know about the six gorillion and Holocoaster.
Speaking of the six gorillion, I saw that old newspaper clip talk of another six gorillion.

MementoMalum

1 Corinthians 6:12
kiwifarms.net
There's no way to say this without sounding horribly insensitive, but the Holocaust, as terrible as it was, is not even close to the worst atrocity perpetrated by man on man. Yes, it sucks that a majority of European Jews were killed en masse and that knowledge is fading from public consciousness, but no one these days remembers the Cultural Revolution, the Killing Fields, the Armenians (cue Hitler quote), and half a dozen other mass slaughters all from the last century.

IAmNotAlpharius

For the Emperor?!
kiwifarms.net
Can they also learn about the things the Empire of Japan did as well? They were just as bad, if not worse, than the Nazis.
One thing I appreciated about my high school was that they talked about the various internment camps. This included not just the Holocaust but also the camps the Japanese put European citizens in to the German POW camps the allies had (I’d rather have been a POW of the UK or US than the Soviets, lol).

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino