Careercow Jim Sterling (James Stanton/Sexton) & in memoriam TotalBiscuit (John Bain) - One Gaming Lolcow Thread

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
I can't even remember the last time where we had a competent movie tie-in game since they all opt for piggyback cameo DLC for fortnite or are just full on digital only mobile games.

Also LOL at a grown ass man getting mad because people get mad at games and say no-no words. Jim can't have this edgy alter ego and then go "WOAH HOLD ON THERE WE CAN'T SAY THAT HERE CHILDREN ARE WATCHING".

Edginess is like satire and comedy. You can't hold sacred cattle. No wonder nobody watches him, he fails at all three.

• Agree
Reactions: Catgirl IRL

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Video about movie promotion in videos games, specifically Terminator.

He makes some decent points about cross-promotions making Gears 5 multiplayer as much of a Terminator game as a Gears game, but, I dunno, cross-promotion is... fine when done well, I guess? When I think of the kind of people who actually get excited over cross promotions, all that really springs to mind is total soyboys who are excited that one consoomer product is in another consoomer product. Not to mention, cross-promotions feel lazier today than they used to. Ever noticed everything is "(Brand #1) X (Brand #2)"? Why the X? I first saw it on Japanese stuff, but now it's a thing worldwide. Like, there's no contrived reason that two universes just collided, it's just "Hey we're putting XYZ into ABC, now consoom product". I'm definitely an outsider to the fighting game fandom, but it's kinda fun seeing Mortal Kombat slowly turn into a who's who of horror and scifi franchises. Payday 2 kinda did the same thing with heist and action movies.

Though if Star Wars 9 really did have some actual, canon plot details only revealed in a timed Fortnite event, of all things, then that's downright retarded.

I dunno. He's got a lot of good points, though as usual, there's a lot more he could point out about advertising in games compromising artistic vision and slowly making our entertainment coagulate into an indistinct mess.

The worst one I can think of is how badly Mario's art style clashed with their Mercedes product placement in Mario Kart 8:
mario-kart-8-mercedes-660x371.jpg

interalia

kiwifarms.net
He makes some decent points about cross-promotions making Gears 5 multiplayer as much of a Terminator game as a Gears game, but, I dunno, cross-promotion is... fine when done well, I guess? When I think of the kind of people who actually get excited over cross promotions, all that really springs to mind is total soyboys who are excited that one consoomer product is in another consoomer product. Not to mention, cross-promotions feel lazier today than they used to. Ever noticed everything is "(Brand #1) X (Brand #2)"? Why the X? I first saw it on Japanese stuff, but now it's a thing worldwide. Like, there's no contrived reason that two universes just collided, it's just "Hey we're putting XYZ into ABC, now consoom product". I'm definitely an outsider to the fighting game fandom, but it's kinda fun seeing Mortal Kombat slowly turn into a who's who of horror and scifi franchises. Payday 2 kinda did the same thing with heist and action movies.

Though if Star Wars 9 really did have some actual, canon plot details only revealed in a timed Fortnite event, of all things, then that's downright retarded.

I dunno. He's got a lot of good points, though as usual, there's a lot more he could point out about advertising in games compromising artistic vision and slowly making our entertainment coagulate into an indistinct mess.

The worst one I can think of is how badly Mario's art style clashed with their Mercedes product placement in Mario Kart 8:
View attachment 1169964
My understanding is that it's because most media marketing is based around cultivating and pandering to fandoms. Unfortunately as Star Wars fans found out (idiots that most of them are) if your new media overlord decides the fandom is a liability it'll be perfectly happy to dissolve the fandom and create a new one even more brainless and disciplined to consoom.

Crossover stuff is really prevalent because it caters (in theory) to two fandoms at once, and there's an understanding that it won't meaningfully fit into canon, meaning you can do whatever you want with it and it won't piss off fandom autists as much.

Sir Wesley Tailpipe

kiwifarms.net
My understanding is that it's because most media marketing is based around cultivating and pandering to fandoms. Unfortunately as Star Wars fans found out (idiots that most of them are) if your new media overlord decides the fandom is a liability it'll be perfectly happy to dissolve the fandom and create a new one even more brainless and disciplined to consoom.

Crossover stuff is really prevalent because it caters (in theory) to two fandoms at once, and there's an understanding that it won't meaningfully fit into canon, meaning you can do whatever you want with it and it won't piss off fandom autists as much.
The funny thing there is that a well-done crossover can work without screwing up any existing continuity. Dark Horse Comics did tons of them over the years. It’s just easier to say “Well, it’s non-canon!” and just do whatever, though.

Last edited:

interalia

kiwifarms.net
T

he funny thing there is that a well-done crossover can work without screwing up any existing continuity. Dark Horse Comics did tons of them over the years. It’s just easier to say “Well, it’s non-canon!” and just do whatever, though.
I think it works best when the canons are pretty compatible (eg superpowers or magic or whatever makes the special people special have similar functions and roles in society), and both are similar in tone (or not, and it can be played for comedy). Something like AvP comes to mind where, yeah, they're both space monster movie franchises, but Predator has always been at the level of goofy action and is perfectly suited for AvP, while Alien is something that's been driven into the ground and the AvP movies are just a final indignity.

Sir Wesley Tailpipe

kiwifarms.net
I think it works best when the canons are pretty compatible (eg superpowers or magic or whatever makes the special people special have similar functions and roles in society), and both are similar in tone (or not, and it can be played for comedy). Something like AvP comes to mind where, yeah, they're both space monster movie franchises, but Predator has always been at the level of goofy action and is perfectly suited for AvP, while Alien is something that's been driven into the ground and the AvP movies are just a final indignity.
Yeah, the fact that there was a screenplay for Aliens Vs Predator based on the comic that Fox decided to sit on for a decade and then wipe their asses with and throw away really sucks.

The crossover that Dark Horse did that worked way better than anyome could have expected was RoboCop Vs The Terminator. That took a lot of creativity and smart writing to pull off at all, let alone as well as they managed to.

HomerSimpson

kiwifarms.net
"Hey folks, I get my reviews from a fat man with a top hat near a bunch of toys who's wife cucks him on the daily."
It's folx, biggot. I personally never understood the whole "here is a bunch of gaming shit to show my cred" sort of thing. Just form good and original opinions.
Maybe it's different from person to person, but anger just gets me unfocused and makes me want to quit. If I get upset by someone or some game or whatever I'm doing, I just back out and vanish. Getting frustrated or even flustered is fine, but getting full-on upset just leads me to resent it. So then I just quit.
The proper thing is stress. Stress helps us perform better, but, too much breaks us. There is a magic point where we work nearly perfectly with stress applied to us. Anger seems entirely useless in the case of videogames. Me calling some 14 year old a faggot or sperging out about eatting kim kardashians shitty ass over a tactic I also abuse is some down right special olympics type shit. It does nothing in the long run. Just ask Wings of redemption and his poor controllers.

Jim always seemed to have the most baseline and straight forward opinions, which is why I stopped watching him when he started. Why would I watch someone, who I could most likely predict the entire opinion of the video in the first few seconds? Might as well just tweet the opinion out and move on.

LiquidKid

If Lions Like It, You Know It’s Bad.
kiwifarms.net
All Jim does these days is bitch about capitalism. Which wouldn’t be a problem if he didn’t always bitch about the same exact form of capitalism every time.
I don’t get how his audience hasn’t noticed that every video has been the same complaint for the last year and a half basically.
he also paints the most narrow window I have ever seen. Like, he claims it’s all AAA games, but he only ever discusses the same four or five contenders. I guess he borrows his arguments from the “we are the 99% crowd”

Last edited:

AsbestosFlaygon

Never underestimate the power of the force.
kiwifarms.net
Like, he claims it’s all AAA games, but he only ever discusses the same four or five contenders. I guess he borrows his arguments from the “we are the 99% crowd”
You know I'd really like to see him cover something on the Jimquisition for once that isn't just the latest hoopla Reddit's throwing over the latest AAA release. I don't know, cover fucking Farming Simulator and its communist undertones or something, just cover some game that's not so big that the entire internet's already talked about it to death by the time he covers it.

LiquidKid

kiwifarms.net
You know I'd really like to see him cover something on the Jimquisition for once that isn't just the latest hoopla Reddit's throwing over the latest AAA release. I don't know, cover fucking Farming Simulator and its communist undertones or something, just cover some game that's not so big that the entire internet's already talked about it to death by the time he covers it.
But he wouldn’t make money that way. For all the bitching he does about nickel and diming, his entire business model is reacting to whatever is current with a safe and popular opinion to keep the NPCs who watch him donating to his patreon

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't think Jim actually plays very many video games anymore. His thoughts on The Outer Worlds sounded like he just lifted whatever Twitter was saying about the game, despite it apparently kinda falling apart in the latter half. His thoughts on Disco Elysium seemed shallow and only really focused on how you can choose woke dialog choices and therefore it's great, with no regard to how centrist the game actually is. He seemed like he used to care, but just doesn't anymore. Plus, despite him talking about Switch being his favorite platform, all of his gameplay footage of anything multiplatform comes from the PS4 version. Hell, I don't even know if it's him, Justin, or whomever else actually playing.

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net
I don't think Jim actually plays very many video games anymore. His thoughts on The Outer Worlds sounded like he just lifted whatever Twitter was saying about the game, despite it apparently kinda falling apart in the latter half. His thoughts on Disco Elysium seemed shallow and only really focused on how you can choose woke dialog choices and therefore it's great, with no regard to how centrist the game actually is. He seemed like he used to care, but just doesn't anymore. Plus, despite him talking about Switch being his favorite platform, all of his gameplay footage of anything multiplatform comes from the PS4 version. Hell, I don't even know if it's him, Justin, or whomever else actually playing.
I've not played The Outer Worlds (I want to but I'm too lazy to pirate it and I'm not getting EGS) so my opinion is based on watching too many YouTube reviews. I'm willing to say Jim played it, but he only played the first few hours.

The post release reviews say the game is front loaded with quality content before dropping off in the second half, but there's more to it. All the in depth conversations and anti-capitalist pandering is on the first planet, which makes up the first few hours of the game. I've seen reviews claim this was done as review bait. All those "First 50 minutes of gameplay!" clickbait videos will show the best content, and lazy game journalists will write their reviews not knowing that it falls apart after that.

The ending slides also claim many of the "good" anti-capitalist factions are actually evil. The game is still anti-capitalist overall, but I don't know if Jim would be as positive towards the game if he knew that. I remember games journalists and feminists loving Bioshock Infinite until they learned a few days later that the Vox Populi turn out to be evil. With The Outer Worlds it's as if they didn't get the memo.

LiquidKid

kiwifarms.net
I've not played The Outer Worlds (I want to but I'm too lazy to pirate it and I'm not getting EGS) so my opinion is based on watching too many YouTube reviews. I'm willing to say Jim played it, but he only played the first few hours.

The post release reviews say the game is front loaded with quality content before dropping off in the second half, but there's more to it. All the in depth conversations and anti-capitalist pandering is on the first planet, which makes up the first few hours of the game. I've seen reviews claim this was done as review bait. All those "First 50 minutes of gameplay!" clickbait videos will show the best content, and lazy game journalists will write their reviews not knowing that it falls apart after that.

The ending slides also claim many of the "good" anti-capitalist factions are actually evil. The game is still anti-capitalist overall, but I don't know if Jim would be as positive towards the game if he knew that. I remember games journalists and feminists loving Bioshock Infinite until they learned a few days later that the Vox Populi turn out to be evil. With The Outer Worlds it's as if they didn't get the memo.
I’ve played outer worlds, and you’re a little off. The anti-capitalist shit is prominent in every single area, in fact it gets even worse after the first planet. You’re always allowed to side with the capitalists, which helps lower the intentional ridiculous store prices(get it? everything is over priced because in capitalism only the rich can afford basic things) but this is always seen as the bad thing to do. Your party is constantly bitching about your choices.
It’s a solid enough game though. I just wish there was more variety in the weapon selection.

as for Bioshock Infinite , I hate to use this person, but Yahtzee of all people gave probably the only honest review. He pointed out how absurd and pretentious the plot was and that Comstock was basically right in the grand scheme of things while still overall calling it a good game.

Gehenna

With every step, my Autism grows.
kiwifarms.net
I'll never understand this. One of the major themes in bioshock is ideological zealots are morraly corrupt. I mean bioshock 2 basically shit on collectivism.
Playing through Bioshock 2 again was a... well, shock to the system. I remember so many reviewers absolutely lambasting it and that tainting it for me.

Playing through it now, it holds up better than 1 for gameplay and equivalent in story. In fact, I'd consider its story a necessary sequel. Where as 1 deals with what happens when you take an individualistic and libertarian model too far, the second deals with what happens when a collectivist, central planned model goes to far. They are foils to eachother story wise.

I do wonder then how much of the negative press was an early example of the commi-shits in games media.

Last edited: