Careercow Jim Sterling (James Stanton/Sexton) & in memoriam TotalBiscuit (John Bain) - One Gaming Lolcow Thread

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
That is random as hell. Who honestly says "I just brought a Merc because Mario Kart"
I figure it must be to put the brand in the mind of kids playing it so they associate happy memories with Mercedes, but it just seems like a bad way to advertise because they look so dull compared to all the colorful and fun vehicles in the rest of the game. It also reminds me of when I was little and I'd see car commercials on Nickelodeon, which I eventually started wondering about, because it's not like kids are gonna see that and then get their parents to buy an entire car. I don't retain a single distinct memory from any of those, either. All I know is that I was just glad they weren't Barbie commercials with those really obnoxious songs.

bluegenius8585

Hiding behind a log
kiwifarms.net
I figure it must be to put the brand in the mind of kids playing it so they associate happy memories with Mercedes, but it just seems like a bad way to advertise because they look so dull compared to all the colorful and fun vehicles in the rest of the game. It also reminds me of when I was little and I'd see car commercials on Nickelodeon, which I eventually started wondering about, because it's not like kids are gonna see that and then get their parents to buy an entire car. I don't retain a single distinct memory from any of those, either. All I know is that I was just glad they weren't Barbie commercials with those really obnoxious songs.
I used to like the Car ads on Nick and Cartoon Network , since they weren't advertising Bratz or Polly Pocket.

At least in the UK I remember silly Debt Consolidation adverts also cropping up on kids channels which freaked me out.

AsbestosFlaygon

Never underestimate the power of the force.
kiwifarms.net
Here's a funny thing about Daimler group that makes that whole thing more bizarre, they're very protective of their brand so they're actually relatively hard to get licensing rights from. For example Euro Truck Simulator 2 had all the real branding for all the trucks with the sole exception of Mercedes up until 2015 when they finally got the rights. Similarly American Truck Simulator doesn't have any trucks from Freightliner or any other Daimler owned company even though there's been one planned since it launched in 2016.

Another thing that truly shows how anal Daimler can be is that last year they made Scania change the name of their S series trucks because they share a name with a Mercedes sedan. This is despite the fact they had been using the name since 2004 without issue, there's also the fact that there's no chance in hell you'd confuse a truck and fucking sedan with each other even if they shared the same name.

This really makes the Mario Kart partnership all the more weird to me, although I suppose it does make some sense they'd want to partner with a company that's as equally anal about intellectual property as they are.

Last edited:

LiquidKid

If Lions Like It, You Know It’s Bad.
kiwifarms.net
That is random as hell. Who honestly says "I just brought a Merc because Mario Kart"
The point of marketing like that isn’t to get you to buy the car, it’s to keep the brand fresh in your mind. If you’re a upper middle class to lower upper class parent who had kids playing Mario Kart, and you see the Mercedes, you think about it, even if your thought is little more than “why the hell is Mario in a Mercedes?”
Then if you happen to be looking for a car to buy around that time, mercedes is still in your mind and you give them a look.
Product placement is never to convince a direct purchase, just to keep you aware of a brand
And trust me, it works.

I used to like the Car ads on Nick and Cartoon Network , since they weren't advertising Bratz or Polly Pocket.

At least in the UK I remember silly Debt Consolidation adverts also cropping up on kids channels which freaked me out.
Those are for parents, not for the kids. Cartoon Network did a study when the channel first came out and found that the audience was 51% kids and 49% adults. Which almost equaled to one adult per kid. But they examined further and found that only about half of these adults were watching with a child, studies have shown that several adults gravitate to cartoons either as a form of escapism at the end of the day, or because the have nostalgia.(obviously there’s autists and animation nuts, but they aren’t added into most polls).
With this information, it’s not hard to find cars and other grown up products to advertise on kids channels and during kids shows.

Last edited:

Otis Boi

Chunky Cow man extraordinaire
kiwifarms.net
Playing through Bioshock 2 again was a... well, shock to the system. I remember so many reviewers absolutely lambasting it and that tainting it for me.

Playing through it now, it holds up better than 1 for gameplay and equivalent in story. In fact, I'd consider its story a necessary sequel. Where as 1 deals with what happens when you take an individualistic and libertarian model too far, the second deals with what happens when a collectivist, central planned model goes to far. They are foils to eachother story wise.

I do wonder then how much of the negative press was an early example of the commi-shits in games media.
I think Bioshock 2 is a game that ages a lot better. When I played It i was a big young but as i aged and the world tended towards Sophia Lamb's brand of ideology and blind sacrifices for the greater good and how collectivism really can just dehumanize people. Ie. Sophis Lamb only saw her daughter as her life work and not as an individual. I always found it ironic that Jack(the protagonist from the first) was seen as a martyr/christ figure by Lamb and how subject delta was the antithesis to her entire ideology.

King Ghidorah

kiwifarms.net
New video about why videogame remakes are getting popular not because perhaps advancing technology and the unique relationship that videogames have with it means that they have more to offer than say a movie remake but because 'treeebul ayy' bad, microtransactions, live service ect ect.

Every time I hear jim whine about the same thing for the billionth time I just hear the baby mario crying sound also hideous fake jim in the intro I guess

The tired cat

Fluffy angel of death
kiwifarms.net
New video about why videogame remakes are getting popular not because perhaps advancing technology and the unique relationship that videogames have with it means that they have more to offer than say a movie remake but because 'treeebul ayy' bad, microtransactions, live service ect ect.

Every time I hear jim whine about the same thing for the billionth time I just hear the baby mario crying sound also hideous fake jim in the intro I guess
Ironic that this fat bastard whines about the typical shit and yet the RE2 remakr didnt have micros, live services or etc. Seriously, how does anyone take this Limey fuck seriously.

King Ghidorah

kiwifarms.net
Ironic that this fat bastard whines about the typical shit and yet the RE2 remakr didnt have micros, live services or etc. Seriously, how does anyone take this Limey fuck seriously.
The video is saying these remakes are popular because they don't have those things (something I can kinda agree on on a small level) but then proceeds to turn it into more typical whinging about 'tribull ayy' for fucks sake jim get some new talking points he could make a video about Israel and somehow spin it into complaining that EA would try to monetize it

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Pissmaster

Gehenna

With every step, my Autism grows.
kiwifarms.net
The video is saying these remakes are popular because they don't have those things (something I can kinda agree on on a small level) but then proceeds to turn it into more typical whinging about 'tribull ayy' for fucks sake jim get some new talking points he could make a video about Israel and somehow spin it into conpaining that EA would try to monetize it
Sterling has not had a single original -thought- in his entire career. I never understood the man's popularity as his formula is so blatantly obvious.

1: Find a contentious topic which has widespread support on one side by the gaming community.
2: Harp on that exact side like its some brave stance he risks ridicule and mockery over.
3: Claim the title of "Consumer Rights Advocate".
4: Simply ignore anything that would actually be contentious amongst his audience.
5: Repeat.

In his entire internet presence history, I can name only a -single- time he has not harped on something already widely agreed to be terrible, and that was during the #GamerGate bullshit, and was very obviously do to him misjudging where the majority of people were at considering he folded like a wet house of cards.

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
lmao Jim got salty about that THQ Q&A thing they did on 8chan, which made ResetEra predictably screech autistically in horror over nothing, and despite their apologizing, here's Jim months and months later still trashing them for it. No road to redemption in this cult, eh Jim?

Regardless, fill out your bingo cards, this is another generic one before even the halfway point. From about 6:00 - 7:00 is the most quintessential example of Jim's usual rhetoric that you can fill out half of your card on that alone. I started taking timestamps:

6:08 "LIIIIVE SERVICE"
6:15 "Microtransactions and premium gambling mechanics"
6:19 "Triple aaay"

and then gave up because he started tapping all the buzzwords. Today's episode is one giant free space, and we're ALL winners!

Like, he even parlays into the same rant about game companies following trends, like with rhythm games and MMORPGs. Didn't he just do that a few weeks ago?

Jim's excuse is that he's sick with the flu this week so I guess that means a more obvious rehashing of his usual guff, but I dunno, he sounds fine, he doesn't sound sick, when I've had the flu I haven't even had the energy to raise my voice at all but Jim's just keepin' on like it's nothing. 🤔

Anyway, Jim mentioned how RE 2, 3, and FF7R are some of the biggest releases this year, not just because of nostalgia, but because they're just better games than just about everything the big companies put out. He then goes on to talk about how genres like old-fashioned JRPGs and survival horror died for a while, and it took indie studios to bring those back to life.

Umm... you know, Jim, a lot changes over the course of 20 years, and beloved game studios of yesteryear like Konami and Capcom were significantly smaller back when they were making their beloved titles, and operating in a much smaller industry. They were operating under a company that didn't have shareholders breathing down their necks, and financial analysts calling the shots on what to make. Not to mention, it was a time when the very political correctness you obsessively tout didn't give a constant "if you step out of line even just slightly, your career is over forever" mentality that's driven a lot of art to be very bland and generic as to not offend anyone, because nobody wants to be cancelled by a Twitter mob. Did you crack a joke about some celebrity's tits after the fappening in 2014? Did you share a Tourettes Guy video in 2007? Have you ever made fun of any country other than the USA? Sexist, ableist, xenophobic, you're canceled and you'll never work in this industry again, and now you have to get a job at Walmart to feed your cat, because you've never been able to afford to have a kid and you're too full of soy to even consider starting a family.

Final Fantasy VII's 1997 version would not fly at all today, if it were brand new. The Bubby Club scene is enough for a mic drop on its own:

A bunch of cliche gay men surround Cloud, talk him into going into a very small hot tub, the camera pans up, and it's implied that Cloud took off his clothes, and something made him hurt. One of them mentions being more than double his age (Cloud is 21), and heavily implies that they want to stick their

PENIS

inside of Cloud's

ANUS

and this is a comedy scene, one of which I didn't understand at all when I was a kid, but knew it was wrong. Come to think of it, how'd this game only wind up with a T rating? Surely the ESRB must not have seen that scene.

In fact, all of Wall Market could be considered problematic, with Cloud uncomfortably crossdressing, culminating in the possibility that he could get picked by Don Corneo and have to go to bed with him. (they don't actually do anything, Cloud stops it before that could happen, though he does kiss Corneo on the cheek) Then there's the whole scene where if you get Barrett to date you at the gold saucer, where it's kind of awkward and so clear that both Cloud and Barrett are uncomfortable. It's hilarious, and it's stuff like those that made Final Fantasy VII so classic and memorable. The original game had a great sense of humor, and it was the first game I had ever played where I saw uncensored cursing. In Clown World, "exceptional individual" is now another no-no word that makes white soyboys shriek louder than when they hear the word "nigga" (as they do with any kind of slur), and it's still even there in the original version's rerelease, even on the Switch:

Quit acting like an exceptional individual ff7.jpg

The original game used such language because the writer wanted to convey the sense of exasperation they were imagining Tifa had, after hearing Barrett complain during their 60-floor climb up Shinra Tower, so they let their language flow freely. In the much more relaxed days of the 90s, it was easier to have a clearer head and create the kind of game you wanted to play. There was no zeitgeist looming overhead, making examples out of people left and right, banning Twitter accounts and blacklisting talented creatives while enouraging grifters able to walk lockstep with whatever their overlords say just to make that cash. Cancel culture encourages grifters while squelching artists, and is exactly how you end up with garbage like Anthem: it's as inoffensive as possible, made by passionless 20-somethings up to their necks in student debt that just wanted to work in the game industry no matter what, and now we've got the world's blandest, most generic, least exciting, least interesting, garbage fire of a game that Clown World asked for. And a perfect storm for Jim and co. to make fun of.

Speaking of grifters, what about the worst one of all, Zoe Quinn? The queen of ResetEra, the sole harbinger of GamerGate, and a... game developer? Really? She's considered a developer after putting out one, and exactly one short text adventure (that frankly seems to mock depression more than portray it), and still manages to stay in the public eye five years later? Why is she worth any defense at all, ever? Oh wait, that's the entire point of GamerGate. Well, gee, five years later, and new Western games are bland and inoffensive as shit. It's an industry where if you have enough pull, you can literally drive Alec Holowka-I mean, someone to suicide, despite being even less talented in game development than Unity asset flippers, and still be celebrated. The industry's not a meritocracy, it's a totem pole in a zero-sum game where success isn't defined by the quality of your product, it's defined by the shoulders you rub and the nepotism at your disposal. There's only so much attention a person can give, and everyone's vying for it, shitting out product after product that very few are actually consuming, in order to show a history of being a good little boy/girl rather than because they want to actually make video games for others to enjoy.

But, fuck it, kowtowing to the nanny state has worked well for Jim, as it keeps the game industry bland and terrible, ripe for grifters to take over and make unfathomably greedy decisions. If it weren't for those, Jim wouldn't have enough to complain about to keep his show going. Jim's a one-man military industrial complex, but with art: Jim keeps the politically correct pressure up, which keeps the artist down, which opens a door for grifters, which leads to greedy leaders hiring desperate college students, which leads to exhausting work hours and from-the-top decisions on what exactly's going to be produced, which leads to shoddier products, which leads to Jim having plenty of content for The Jimquisition as long as things stay the same.

And Jim makes well into six figures a year from Patreon for just writing weekly essays (I just wrote one too, gib mony plz) and paying someone named Justin to edit all the footage together.

Nice grift, Jim.

Last edited:

AnAccount

kiwifarms.net

I find it funny that he just ignores and skips over some Final fantasy game and dragon quest game early into the video, when half of his video is suggesting that JRPG is an underserved genre and FF7 will be a return to form.

King Ghidorah

kiwifarms.net
Just as a side note just what is that constipation face he's making in that thumbnail? I mean given how many layers of blubber he's built up for his hopeful audition to my 600 pound life I assume every trip to the toilet is a biblical endeavor but you'd think he'd wait until after the shot to let it out

Reactions: millais

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Just as a side note just what is that constipation face he's making in that thumbnail? I mean given how many layers of blubber he's built up for his hopeful audition to my 600 pound life I assume every trip to the toilet is a biblical endeavor but you'd think he'd wait until after the shot to let it out
The motherfucker probably loses 10 pounds every time he takes a shit only to put it back on with his next snack.

Leblanc

trapped with sand and mormons
kiwifarms.net
you know when it comes to the main 3 of the escapist (granted jim isnt there anymore but whatever) there almost like those cousins you hear about every now and again
yatzee being the popular, sucessful one everyone knows
moviebob is the spoiled youngest that has done nothing with his life yet thinks he deserves everything that nobody likes
and jim is the middle child no one cares about, sure you remember he exists once in a while but when you catch up with him hes still doing the same shit as he was a few years back when you last talked to him

Reactions: AsbestosFlaygon

Sir Wesley Tailpipe

kiwifarms.net
I‘m sure Jim takes enough BBC up his pasty British ass that there’s no resistance either way by now.

The tired cat

Fluffy angel of death
kiwifarms.net
you know when it comes to the main 3 of the escapist (granted jim isnt there anymore but whatever) there almost like those cousins you hear about every now and again
yatzee being the popular, sucessful one everyone knows
moviebob is the spoiled youngest that has done nothing with his life yet thinks he deserves everything that nobody likes
and jim is the middle child no one cares about, sure you remember he exists once in a while but when you catch up with him hes still doing the same shit as he was a few years back when you last talked to him
Eh, I'd say that even Yahtzee isn't that popular or successful anymore. His numbers are def have been going down, forcing him to make other content (which feels like it was what his bosses suggested to make sure he still brings in numbers), some said it's because of Bobo, I think it's because everyone saw Yahtzee is as much a one trick pony as Jimbo, an only people who watch him religiously are those who buy into Jim's crap off "Triple A evul/greedy/soulless while indies are angels of creativity and beauty!", since Yahtzee goes about that as well.

King Ghidorah

kiwifarms.net
Eh, I'd say that even Yahtzee isn't that popular or successful anymore. His numbers are def have been going down, forcing him to make other content (which feels like it was what his bosses suggested to make sure he still brings in numbers), some said it's because of Bobo, I think it's because everyone saw Yahtzee is as much a one trick pony as Jimbo, an only people who watch him religiously are those who buy into Jim's crap off "Triple A evul/greedy/soulless while indies are angels of creativity and beauty!", since Yahtzee goes about that as well.
Truly they were the launchers of a thousand hipster indie dick rider ships.

Well except bob he launched a thousand consoomer ships

Last edited:
Reactions: Book Thievery

Suck the Cock

kiwifarms.net
Relative to Jim or MovieBlob, Yahtzee's the successful one by a mile. He doesn't have a thread here, saying his name won't lead to an argument most of the time, he actually releases books and games periodically so he's not reliant on a social justice tugboat, he has a wife and kid, etc. It's not millionaire-level success, but there's no question Yahtzee is the successful child of the escapist. He's the famous kid from a small town who got a solid career in the big city.

The tired cat

Fluffy angel of death
kiwifarms.net
Relative to Jim or MovieBlob, Yahtzee's the successful one by a mile. He doesn't have a thread here, saying his name won't lead to an argument most of the time, he actually releases books and games periodically so he's not reliant on a social justice tugboat, he has a wife and kid, etc. It's not millionaire-level success, but there's no question Yahtzee is the successful child of the escapist. He's the famous kid from a small town who got a solid career in the big city.
Well, sort off. Most arguments people ever get when it comes to his name is either: A. "Wow, what a hipster douche" or B. "Wish he'd drop the Trump joke, he aint funny with those". Let's be real his books and games aren't very trending and mostly get talked among his fans, in both those aspects the guy is "okay/alright" mostly. He def has a small ego about the game part, hell he got passively-aggressive buttmad at GoG for not wanting to sell his stuff, but he def does one-up Bobo and Jimbo is that he least has a wife and kid, plus prob will have some ideas what to do if Escapist folds. Also, the reason I think he doesn't have a thread here is that the dude is very socially weird from what I heard.