Careercow Jim Sterling (James Stanton/Sexton) & in memoriam TotalBiscuit (John Bain) - One Gaming Lolcow Thread

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net
I’ve played outer worlds, and you’re a little off. The anti-capitalist shit is prominent in every single area, in fact it gets even worse after the first planet. You’re always allowed to side with the capitalists, which helps lower the intentional ridiculous store prices(get it? everything is over priced because in capitalism only the rich can afford basic things) but this is always seen as the bad thing to do. Your party is constantly bitching about your choices.
It’s a solid enough game though. I just wish there was more variety in the weapon selection.

as for Bioshock Infinite , I hate to use this person, but Yahtzee of all people gave probably the only honest review. He pointed out how absurd and pretentious the plot was and that Comstock was basically right in the grand scheme of things while still overall calling it a good game.
That makes sense. The reviews I saw talked about how the board goes from an all encompassing threat to an ineffective annoyance, and heavy handed quests like suicide = vandalism of company property are mostly dropped in favor of a super villain plot that is actually fairly reasonable.

Though I want to ask. Is the best/most heavy stuff early on, is does it lay it on thick the entire game? How big is the drop in quality after the first few hours if there is one?

Playing through Bioshock 2 again was a... well, shock to the system. I remember so many reviewers absolutely lambasting it and that tainting it for me.

Playing through it now, it holds up better than 1 for gameplay and equivalent in story. In fact, I'd consider its story a necessary sequel. Where as 1 deals with what happens when you take an individualistic and libertarian model too far, the second deals with what happens when a collectivist, central planned model goes to far. They are foils to eachother story wise.

I do wonder then how much of the negative press was an early example of the commi-shits in games media.
I think it was more that it retconned a lot of shit into the first game. I remember a friend complaining a major villain who is super important, but she never got so much as a reference in the entire first game.

I do remember one of the DLCs for the game being considered really good, but was saddled to the base game which nobody liked.

Like The Outer Worlds, I've not played it. Just saying what I remember the complaints being at the time.

At least in the UK I remember silly Debt Consolidation adverts also cropping up on kids channels which freaked me out.
Those are for parents, not for the kids. Cartoon Network did a study when the channel first came out and found that the audience was 51% kids and 49% adults. Which almost equaled to one adult per kid. But they examined further and found that only about half of these adults were watching with a child, studies have shown that several adults gravitate to cartoons either as a form of escapism at the end of the day, or because the have nostalgia.(obviously there’s autists and animation nuts, but they aren’t added into most polls).
With this information, it’s not hard to find cars and other grown up products to advertise on kids channels and during kids shows.
Maybe targeted advertisement was something that happened back then? It's not just kids TV, I don't remember the ads being all old people ads during day time TV.

Another explanation could that the only people who watch TV these days are old people and children, so more general audience ads don't get played any more?

Gehenna

With every step, my Autism grows.
kiwifarms.net
I think it was more that it retconned a lot of shit into the first game. I remember a friend complaining a major villain who is super important, but she never got so much as a reference in the entire first game.

I do remember one of the DLCs for the game being considered really good, but was saddled to the base game which nobody liked.

Like The Outer Worlds, I've not played it. Just saying what I remember the complaints being at the time.
Here's the thing... it actually retcons nothing. Sophia Lamb was a psychologist brought in by Ryan during some indeterminate time due people not coping well with their new environment. She spouted the wrong thing and got thrown into prison for wrong think like many others did canonically in game one. Until this time, she was utterly unimportant in the grand scheme of things. Its actually the driving overarching plotpoint that she kinda rose from anonymity in the ashes of Ryan's dream.

Edit: Lets premept the other one. "There were no big daddies before the big daddies" or some variation there off. This... isn't true. In the first game, the big daddies are never said to be the only ones, and do come in a couple models. The in-game explanation in 2 is that the Alpha Series were faster, stronger, more intelligent, and all around better... and all around a LOT more expensive. They could only be bonded to a single little sister, and cost a ton to make. Sure, they can make a profit off that in the long term but... well, its cheaper and has better profits to just make more little sisters and a shittier but mass produced Big Daddies.

Last edited:

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Relative to Jim or MovieBlob, Yahtzee's the successful one by a mile. He doesn't have a thread here
Yes he does, though it's not that active because he's not really much on any kind of social media, and Zero Punctuation just isn't interesting enough to talk about weekly.

Eh, I'd say that even Yahtzee isn't that popular or successful anymore. His numbers are def have been going down, forcing him to make other content (which feels like it was what his bosses suggested to make sure he still brings in numbers), some said it's because of Bobo, I think it's because everyone saw Yahtzee is as much a one trick pony as Jimbo, an only people who watch him religiously are those who buy into Jim's crap off "Triple A evul/greedy/soulless while indies are angels of creativity and beauty!", since Yahtzee goes about that as well.
His videos are really running together these days. If you've kept up with him for a while, you'll already know what he thinks of any given game before you even watch the review. He's still alright to watch, but I'm loooong past the days where I'd eagerly await his new video every Wednesday.

Plus, he's sort of a luddite relic, he's had an email address at the end of all his videos this entire time, but apparently never replies to anyone or gives any public indication that he even checks it, and he's not at all a showman like Jim Sterling. It's no wonder he's stagnating.

• Agree
Reactions: AsbestosFlaygon

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
That 2000s style cynicism represented by Jim and Yahtzee is just tired as shit these days.

For over a decade now people have been basically saying the same thing, there should have come a time when if these people didn't like the way modern video games are made so much they should have simply given up on it.

It's especially dated because if you ask me what people like them were whining about a decade ago wasn't really that big of a deal compared to the problems of the SJW era, at least games were still geared towards a male audience back in the day and not fat girls with blue hair, it's pretty disingenuous for Sterling to still be banging the same old drum about AAA gaming but downplay the SJW stuff.

For the record there's a difference between criticism and cynicism, there's plenty to criticize but cynicism just becomes predictable and boring after a while.

LiquidKid

If Lions Like It, You Know It’s Bad.
kiwifarms.net
That makes sense. The reviews I saw talked about how the board goes from an all encompassing threat to an ineffective annoyance, and heavy handed quests like suicide = vandalism of company property are mostly dropped in favor of a super villain plot that is actually fairly reasonable.

Though I want to ask. Is the best/most heavy stuff early on, is does it lay it on thick the entire game? How big is the drop in quality after the first few hours if there is one?

Maybe targeted advertisement was something that happened back then? It's not just kids TV, I don't remember the ads being all old people ads during day time TV.

Another explanation could that the only people who watch TV these days are old people and children, so more general audience ads don't get played any more?
It gets heavier over time. The first planet has

the company using mushrooms because they ran out of the fish they were canning and the “good” solution is recycling dead bodies to cure the illness, which is “brilliant reuse of company assets” but the head of the town very clearly cares about his people, he just does it in a different way. Meanwhile the heroes are pure communists

whereas the very next space station has a guy who permanently cannot remove his costume and you can basically torture with tough questions. Then class disparity gets more and more apparent, including the nicest planet being exclusive to the most loyal employees for retirement

but again, this is a fun game. I enjoyed my time quite a bit, I do recommend it even with all the anti-capitalist pro communist bull

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Judge Dredd

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
It's especially dated because if you ask me what people like them were whining about a decade ago wasn't really that big of a deal compared to the problems of the SJW era, at least games were still geared towards a male audience back in the day and not fat girls with blue hair, it's pretty disingenuous for Sterling to still be banging the same old drum about AAA gaming but downplay the SJW stuff.
Downplay it? Sterling IS an SJW.

The tired cat

Fluffy angel of death
kiwifarms.net
Plus, he's sort of a luddite relic, he's had an email address at the end of all his videos this entire time, but apparently never replies to anyone or gives any public indication that he even checks it, and he's not at all a showman like Jim Sterling. It's no wonder he's stagnating.
I could be wrong, but I think he only mentioned checking his email twice: One time was fo CoD4 and another time I think it was either the new WoW expansion or something else.

King Ghidorah

kiwifarms.net
New video. Very bland rambling near incoherent video with some typical bandwagon call of duty hate trappings thrown in surprisingly evenhanded given jim is of the crowd who pride themselves on spergishly shaking their fists at call of duty for having the audacity to be popular especially among their imagined dudebro gamer boogeymen

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

I dont usually post Jim's random other videos, but this is pretty much distilled Jim in a nutshell. It's a mini rant about how he hates children and wants the Mario Lego set for himself. It's one of those things where it sounds tongue-in-cheek but he keeps going and makes it clear he's serious to a creepy degree, with no punchline or zinger at the end

It's basically what he'd post if he were on Reddit's r/childfree.

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net

I dont usually post Jim's random other videos, but this is pretty much distilled Jim in a nutshell. It's a mini rant about how he hates children and wants the Mario Lego set for himself. It's one of those things where it sounds tongue-in-cheek but he keeps going and makes it clear he's serious to a creepy degree, with no punchline or zinger at the end

It's basically what he'd post if he were on Reddit's r/childfree.
First Amiibos, then Labo, and now this, I never hear of kids playing them or parents saying their kids are looking forward to it. It's almost always consoomer bugmen who unironically call people manchild.

AsbestosFlaygon

Never underestimate the power of the force.
kiwifarms.net
The LEGO video's stupid but honestly it's probably one of the better non-Jimquisition videos he's done as it's at least not the typical milquetoast garbage his reaction videos are.

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
And I've often felt like a lot of cynics are now also SJWs.

There's something about those people that make them lack the ability to ever feel joy or see the glass half full, it's always complain, complain, complain, complain, nothing is ever good enough, they live to whine.
It's hard to know with people on the internet how much it is an act. With Jim I think he likes complaining more than gaming, though I hope he lives every day dreading being cancelled on something he said years before.

Anyways, the problem with modern sjw cynics is that they never grew up from 2004. They still think that the left is the cool place where people can say what they think and are the enlightened and hip political group, despite the belief of a single "correct" party being completely exceptional. So they act like they are the renegades putting hard truths while regurgitating information by billion dollar news networks, corporations and politicians.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
It's hard to know with people on the internet how much it is an act. With Jim I think he likes complaining more than gaming, though I hope he lives every day dreading being cancelled on something he said years before.

Anyways, the problem with modern sjw cynics is that they never grew up from 2004. They still think that the left is the cool place where people can say what they think and are the enlightened and hip political group, despite the belief of a single "correct" party being completely exceptional. So they act like they are the renegades putting hard truths while regurgitating information by billion dollar news networks, corporations and politicians.
Heck, it's even hard for me sometimes to think that the left is no longer the "cool place where people can say what they think and are the enlightened and hip political group"

I think you're right, for some left was their default position for so long, they had it drilled into their heads that "Bill O'Reilly, Fox News, Ann Coulter = the enemy" so much that they just can't see times have changed.

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net
That's something I've noticed too. I don't know if I've talked about it before, but SJWs in general are often late thirties, early forties, but they act like they're still in their early twenties. They are unironic versions of the "how do you do fellow kids" meme, only instead of a skateboard and a band t-shirt, they have died hair, an ironic "nerd" shirt, and talk about sticking it to "old white guys" and "the status quo" despite being middle aged and having their opinions parroted by mainstream media.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
That's something I've noticed too. I don't know if I've talked about it before, but SJWs in general are often late thirties, early forties, but they act like they're still in their early twenties. They are unironic versions of the "how do you do fellow kids" meme, only instead of a skateboard and a band t-shirt, they have died hair, an ironic "nerd" shirt, and talk about sticking it to "old white guys" and "the status quo" despite being middle aged and having their opinions parroted by mainstream media.
And they don't understand they've done the reverse of marketing their cringy, derpy views, probably making them deeply uncool for at least a generation or more.

Vapewizard

kiwifarms.net
Pretty much. I remember thinking it was both stupid and funny when he ranted on twitter about the big bad evil TERF menace filling him with righteous anger cause as a white guy he'll be one of the first people to get cancelled by troon twitter the moment he makes one misstep.

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I live in some indistinct one-floor house in Pittsburgh. My name is Jim Sterling. I'm 36 years old. I don't believe in taking care of myself, nor any semblance of a balanced diet, and no exercise routine. In the morning, if my wife is cucking me, I'll put on a sleep mask while I get an extra couple of hours. She's cucked me a thousand times now.

On today's episode of British Cuckold, Jim is deebly goncerned about the Coronavirus.

This episode mostly just seems to reflect how Jim is salty that Ninja, a streamer that's a full 7 1/2 years younger than Jim, is undoubtedly more famous and successful than Jim will ever be. Jim keeps making fun of Ninja throughout the episode for a tweet where Ninja said "This is becoming very, very real. Prayers to Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson." That's about as inoffensive as you can get, but Jim carries on for a while, angrily punching his walls while screaming "What about poor families with health insurance?! Well if NINJA pointed it out now that our precious CELEBRITIES got it, NOW it's a real thing". Basic SJW false equivalence kind of shit, because Jim seethes any time he meets someone younger and more successful than him.

To the point where I guess this character's gonna be a mainstay now:

jim_purple.JPG

A one-note character that's an overblown parody of attention whore YouTubers. Yeah, that's never been done countless times before.

Friendly reminder that Jim still makes six solid figures on Patreon for simply just ranting about video games online, a dream job he carved out for himself that countless people out there would kill for. Count your blessings, Jim, or your envy will slowly eat you.

Or you'll eat it. Because you're so fucking fat. Regardless, envy is poisonous, so you're gonna have a bad time.

And then at the 11 minute mark, Jim parlays into a whole talk about healthcare, once again oversimplifying the problem and blaming it on

YOU GUESSED IT

Capitalism. Don't you love it when you can get impotently mad at a problem, then do fuck all to actually even try and solve it because you can just throw down a buzzword and carry on with your day? Yeah, Jim, every single person on both sides who's not a sociopath to some degree, agrees that the healthcare system in America is screwed up, but there's a lot more that can be said about it rather than just "Capitalism bad", or "Orange man bad", for that matter. The answer you'll usually hear from a "Fuck You, Got Mine" Boomer is to just get a job with a big corporation that'll throw in health care with your benefits, but that just leads to another enormous issue about just how hard it is to start up your own business today.

Bitchy episode, not at all insightful, Jim oversimplifies problems yet again, ho hum. The ending where he closed the door into his plague mask's nose was kind of funny though

Thank Trump for Me.

Last edited:

RudeRoasts

Ah, you Japanese racist!
kiwifarms.net
I live in some indistinct one-floor house in Pittsburgh. My name is Jim Sterling. I'm 36 years old. I don't believe in taking care of myself, nor any semblance of a balanced diet, and no exercise routine. In the morning, if my wife is cucking me, I'll put on a sleep mask while I get an extra couple of hours. She's cucked me a thousand times now.

On today's episode of British Cuckold, Jim is deebly goncerned about the Coronavirus.

This episode mostly just seems to reflect how Jim is salty that Ninja, a streamer that's a full 7 1/2 years younger than Jim, is undoubtedly more famous and successful than Jim will ever be. Jim keeps making fun of Ninja throughout the episode for a tweet where Ninja said "This is becoming very, very real. Prayers to Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson." That's about as inoffensive as you can get, but Jim carries on for a while, angrily punching his walls while screaming "What about poor families with health insurance?! Well if NINJA pointed it out now that our precious CELEBRITIES got it, NOW it's a real thing". Basic SJW false equivalence kind of shit, because Jim seethes any time he meets someone younger and more successful than him.

To the point where I guess this character's gonna be a mainstay now:

View attachment 1190641

A one-note character that's an overblown parody of attention whore YouTubers. Yeah, that's never been done countless times before.

Friendly reminder that Jim still makes six solid figures on Patreon for simply just ranting about video games online, a dream job he carved out for himself that countless people out there would kill for. Count your blessings, Jim, or your envy will slowly eat you.

Or you'll eat it. Because you're so fucking fat. Regardless, envy is poisonous, so you're gonna have a bad time.

And then at the 11 minute mark, Jim parlays into a whole talk about healthcare, once again oversimplifying the problem and blaming it on

YOU GUESSED IT

Capitalism. Don't you love it when you can get impotently mad at a problem, then do fuck all to actually even try and solve it because you can just throw down a buzzword and carry on with your day? Yeah, Jim, every single person on both sides who's not a sociopath to some degree, agrees that the healthcare system in America is screwed up, but there's a lot more that can be said about it rather than just "Capitalism bad", or "Orange man bad", for that matter. The answer you'll usually hear from a "Fuck You, Got Mine" Boomer is to just get a job with a big corporation that'll throw in health care with your benefits, but that just leads to another enormous issue about just how hard it is to start up your own business today.

Bitchy episode, not at all insightful, Jim oversimplifies problems yet again, ho hum. The ending where he closed the door into his plague mask's nose was kind of funny though

Thank Trump for Me.
Shock and awe, Jim bitching about capitalism again.
The system that allows his fat ass to make a six figure salary talking about vidya a few times a week with the same tired points and minimal genuine research.

Sperging about muh healthcare system in such a didactic way is given a pass due to moralism, but I'm generally sick and tired of moralism.

I find it funny that Jim is always bitching about capitalism, but plays into the #toxic negativity every week, explicitly for views.

I find it funny, actually, that large sect of the games media thinks that capitalism sucks while they sit in coastal Star Bucks making money, getting industrial connections and such, through video games.