Careercow Jim Sterling / James Stanton/Sexton & in memoriam TotalBiscuit (John Bain) - One Gaming Lolcow Thread

Effluvium

Pirate sites are your friend.
View attachment 1832322
View attachment 1832325
Two-thousand leaf backers scrape together sixty-thousand loonies to fund a cutesy Undertale rip-off with girls instead of monsters? And you expect me to believe the Jimerella that barely likes games somehow had the algorithms recommend this to him either on Kikestarter or Steam? Seems more likely that they paid Jim for a mention. The only big name associated with this project are the two people who make music for Steven Universe.
Wow, Jim. Isn't this what's called selling out? 🤔

My guess is that jim indeed saw it on gamepass and just used this as an opportunity to virtue signal.
Can anyone with this service confirm how "discoverable" Ikenfell is? I ask because in comparison, Steam has not recommended this game to me despite following pixel & JRPG tags and I've heard nothing about this game marketing-wise.

If your game is popular on a fucking free game sub system, while it bombing on a MOTHERFUCKING SWITCH of all fucking system, then you shouldn't be gloating. You should be praying to whatever gods that you can get suckers to fund your next crappy indie project.
Reminder that fans were begging for a Switch port of Undertale long after PC launch; there is definitely a market for this type of game on that console but Ikenfell is unheard of. Ikenfell is also only a 3-month old game as of this post.

Steam stats to compare with original backers to gauge overall interest and reception of the game:

1610053984037.png 1610054107420.png

Seems odd for a retro JRPG that came in at the last quarter with no fanfare and barely a fanbase to register on anyone's Top 5 games of the year across all platforms, let alone a heavy hitter in youtube content. I don't watch Jim to know if he has a soft spot for this genre, and Street of Rage kind of props up the legitimacy of this weird pick.

Last edited:
Kinda on the money. The reviews for the game are just odd. They all just go "owee best game <9 soundtrack producers".
View attachment 1836300

Also, apparently you can just skip all combat, if the game has too much game for you. The creator is a :optimistic:*they* and happens to be pretty far-left in general.
View attachment 1836293View attachment 1836296

Also also, the game is "very popular on gamepass" according to said creator, while failing badly on switch.
View attachment 1836292

My guess is that jim indeed saw it on gamepass and just used this as an opportunity to virtue signal.

So basically it's not successful where it counts, sales.

@Haramburger Well it has a 3.4 out of 5 on the service (between 4 total reviews). And as of now you have to actively search for it to find it. When it came out it was right in your face, though. So I assume that first week is basically all they'll see of success on subscription service. It also was on the top bar of the Humble Store for a while, where you scroll through the different things they're pushing. But it's a Humble game so that's to be expected.

Last edited:
Damn, it has been at least 5 years before I have seen Jim Sterling's work and aside from the mess his show looks like and he does, the worst part has to be that there seems to be no love for games. Everything seems so bitter and fill with vitriol that it makes me wonder if he ever really liked games in the first place or just loved to rant. I honestly blame his life's situation with him going to put out weekly content that usually involved rants that got to most views and chasing that instead of trying to do things that are rather positive once in a while that can recharge you from negativity.

I mean I guess he makes like 15k or more a month on Patreon, but whats the point if all it is doing is leading you to live a miserable life and further cements my point of never let your hobbies become your career unless you are damn sure that you can stick with it.

Damn, it has been at least 5 years before I have seen Jim Sterling's work and aside from the mess his show looks like and he does, the worst part has to be that there seems to be no love for games. Everything seems so bitter and fill with vitriol that it makes me wonder if he ever really liked games in the first place or just loved to rant. I honestly blame his life's situation with him going to put out weekly content that usually involved rants that got to most views and chasing that instead of trying to do things that are rather positive once in a while that can recharge you from negativity.

I mean I guess he makes like 15k or more a month on Patreon, but whats the point if all it is doing is leading you to live a miserable life and further cements my point of never let your hobbies become your career unless you are damn sure that you can stick with it.
He hates video games because he thinks the AAA video game industry is evil. He can't stop complaining about it in his videos to the point it's one of the only things he talks about.

Can anyone with this service confirm how "discoverable" Ikenfell is? I ask because in comparison, Steam has not recommended this game to me despite following pixel & JRPG tags and I've heard nothing about this game marketing-wise.
Steam had apparently recommended it to me at some point since I have it Ignored there, so it's not impossible for people to find it that way. That said, I use the discovery queue rather than the front page and went through almost 30k games that way.

I saw it once, and thought of it as really uninspired.

On the other hand, I've been playing the hell out of OMORI.

Crosswalk

Look Both Ways
To be as fair as humanly possible, it's generally not a good idea to use concurrent player count as a measure of a single-player game's popularity. A metric like "total players in the last two weeks" would give you a better sense of whether the game is reaching an audience since they don't all have to be playing at the same time.

That being said, I doubt this game would register as popular by any metric you throw at it.

I used to love Jim's videos back when there was nothing going on in the world and it felt appropriate to spend an afternoon binge watching videos on Youtube about video games (which I still do, the difference being it no longer feels appropriate)

Even after I got redpilled I continued watching and enjoying Jim's insightful criticism about video games and video game companies. I dare say, EVEN AFTER Jim started including gay wrestling shit in his videos, I still consoomed and found there to be plenty of escapist enjoyment about video games.

With this latest video, I am sad to say that I have been defeated and I give up attempting to enjoy Jim's content anymore. I was getting weary with the trans stuff and the casual mention of taking estrogen, but as long as he stayed in his lane and just talked about videogames I was fine ignoring that and pretending he wasn't wearing pink lipstick by minimizing the videos and listening to them. I didn't want to know anything about his personal life or his political views beyond how they directly affected his video game criticism that I enjoyed.

Josh talked in a recent MATI episode that he thinks it's clear that at this point Jim hates videogames and regrets making a career out of talking about them. I think the dispassion for his subject matter is now fully bared for all to see. He didn't even bother using videogames as a segue to talk about whatever political thing it is he actually gives a shit about this time around.

Probably this has been obvious to everyone for the last two years and I'm a blind sentimental faggot who was trying to hold on to my preconceived notions about an E-celeb I liked. I won't be watching any more of his videos except to marvel and gawk at the next stage in his tranny evolution whenever that comes around. Jim himself would definitely say good riddance and I'm tired of trying to find enjoyment in his content anyway

Last edited:

Jazz never died!

Brevity is the soul of wit.
Kinda on the money. The reviews for the game are just odd. They all just go "owee best game <9 soundtrack producers".
View attachment 1836300

Also, apparently you can just skip all combat, if the game has too much game for you. The creator is a :optimistic:*they* and happens to be pretty far-left in general.
View attachment 1836293View attachment 1836296

Also also, the game is "very popular on gamepass" according to said creator, while failing badly on switch.
View attachment 1836292

I doubt this game will last on game pass as Microsoft looks at engagement levels and this game only attracts to game "journalists" and those woke gamers that all together make less than 1% of gamers. Fans of jrps find this combat and leveling system too easy and the story uninteresting as they stick too there SuperNintendo and PSX.

Josh talked in a recent MATI episode that he thinks it's clear that at this point Jim hates videogames and regrets making a career out of talking about them. I think the dispassion for his subject matter is now fully bared for all to see. He didn't even bother using videogames as a segue to talk about whatever political thing it is he actually gives a shit about this time around.
Jim at least has had the sense to not shoot himself in the foot financially by making it all come crashing down(yet). He's still making the thing he's paid for, for the crowd he's beholden to. It's refreshing in comparison to the Rich Kyanka/SomethingAwful debacle. It will be interesting to see if his paypigs are willing to put up with both transition and blatant politics though.

Hammerstein

Resident Witch Doctor
Jim at least has had the sense to not shoot himself in the foot financially by making it all come crashing down(yet). He's still making the thing he's paid for, for the crowd he's beholden to. It's refreshing in comparison to the Rich Kyanka/SomethingAwful debacle. It will be interesting to see if his paypigs are willing to put up with both transition and blatant politics though.

The transition and the blatant politics are why they are still paying. I'll be willing to bet that most of his audience are people who are as sick of video games as he is but can't let go.

He hates video games because he thinks the AAA video game industry is evil. He can't stop complaining about it in his videos to the point it's one of the only things he talks about.

He's not wrong AAAids is a bullshit factory with few redeeming traits, the issue is that's all he does. One of my favourate video's of his was his defence of traditional rpg mechanics and the one on why rape in games just plain feels worse than murder. Now all he does is bitch and provide nothing contructive then gets upset that gaming culture is toxic.

Last edited:
He's not wrong AAAids is a bullshit factory with few redeeming traits, the issue is that's all he does. One of my favourate video's of his was his defence of traditional rpg mechanics and the one on why rape in games just plain feels worse than murder. Now all he does is bitch and provide nothing contructive then gets upset that gaming culture is toxic.
I don't remember a video about rape, but I assume it's when you are exposed to a backstory/event where a character is raped, rather than doing da raping (since Jim will never confess to playing those type of games).

In general, every long form torture on an undeserving victim (which includes rape) will feel far harsher than the act of murdering the same victim (especially if the murder is quick and we don't see the personal consequences). With rape also having the (ironically very misogynistic ideas) that women are a weak victim in both mind and body, and that the act of rape will forever corrupt the woman. Without those ideas, rape is far better than anything involving mutilation.