Careercow Jim Sterling / James Stanton/Sexton & in memoriam TotalBiscuit (John Bain) - One Gaming Lolcow Thread

Leblanc

Fuck Dinosaurs
kiwifarms.net
- Obese and with unhealthy eating habits,
- Obsessed with Trump,
- Trying to get his gaming audience into wrestling and failing terribly,
- Steady decline in content quantity and quality,
- Unhealthy relationship,
- Self-diagnosed mental conditions.
- 40 years old man playing with toys for kids.
He's turning into Spoony.
I'm gonna create a new concrete law
>Metokurs law
Every online creator on a decline will eventually be compared with spoony

bricked

kiwifarms.net
I know a few trans people and they've mentioned hrt can fuck with your head, especially if you've got background noise and health issues. Jims morbidly obese and is in therapy for underlying psychological issues. I'm sure his odd increagly erratic behavour is peformance with all that in mind.
honestly the thing that gets me is that we've known for years, decades really, that supplementing T in a man causes adverse side effects like increased aggression, risk of heart disease, hair thinning and other shit, but we're just supposed to believe that completely swapping your main sexual hormones is perfectly safe.

nevermind that we have tons of other information that doing a shitton of estrogen fucks up women thanks to that being what birth control is.

This is one of my biggest issues with people who complain about crunch. They act like it only exists in the video game industry and isn't something that naturally exists in, well, pretty much anything that involves work, where it is generally accepted and treated as the norm. I think a lot of it has to do with labeling, with games, the term crunch gets used, while everywhere else, it's just referred to in lighter terms, like working overtime/late or putting in extra hours.

Jim himself has probably experienced it at some point, since he releases videos on a set schedule. I'm sure there have been some weeks, especially in his earlier days when he seemed to care about what he was doing, where he spent most of the weekend putting in those extra hours to meet the Monday deadline. Or, back when he actually reviewed things, trying to play through a game to get a proper review written around launch time. Granted, there's certainly a difference in the difficulty of crunch time, but that's a different subject.
the gaming industry does have an issue with companies that abuse crunch to squeeze their employees, but crying about crunch towards the end of a project is just stupid.

TheBeanz

Heinz Meanz Beanz
kiwifarms.net
the gaming industry does have an issue with companies that abuse crunch to squeeze their employees, but crying about crunch towards the end of a project is just stupid.
That's the most annoying thing about Jim, he always gets so close to the actual point and then fucking misses it. I can sit there and broadly agree with his quotable 'Crunch is a failure of management' hot take so long as I look at it in the context of project management; ideally you wouldn't have to crunch near the end of a project, but something comes up 9/10 times that means you'll have to. The problem is that Jim views the line in the context of 'CEOs are bad people and shouldn't earn lots of money because they make game devs crunch'. It's infuriating

The tired cat

Fluffy angel of death
kiwifarms.net
That's the most annoying thing about Jim, he always gets so close to the actual point and then fucking misses it. I can sit there and broadly agree with his quotable 'Crunch is a failure of management' hot take so long as I look at it in the context of project management; ideally you wouldn't have to crunch near the end of a project, but something comes up 9/10 times that means you'll have to. The problem is that Jim views the line in the context of 'CEOs are bad people and shouldn't earn lots of money because they make game devs crunch'. It's infuriating
Because it's always the same song and dance of "Oh think of the poor devs!" when you have moments when devs themselves are colossal fucking bastards.

Coccxys

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
(The troon "lady" from his podcast is getting less than 1k per upload) [Note: not surprising because holy shit, this person has an annoying voice]
Remember when "she" was on the co-optional and TB went absolutely crazy about people commenting that, putting out two sound clouds calling everyone bigots?

"She" was front and centre at the Coxcon panel where the trap question was asked and disappeared out to the staff only bit half way through that to cry to TB no doubt.

I don't know how they ended up with such power over actually successful creators when they're clearly a creepy deranged AGP dude with nothing to contribute.

I can sit there and broadly agree with his quotable 'Crunch is a failure of management'
I don't even think that's the case. It's almost built in by design in many projects. You need a total number of man hours to complete a project, spreading them evenly through the project it more likely to burn out your staff than short bursts of activity follower by more relaxed periods. People can't maintain a state of high readiness for a long period before they totally burn out, those cycles of low and high stress through a project are precisely how you prevent your staff suffering breakdowns.

As many have pointed out "crunch" exists in almost all industries and if we expand that to busy periods then every single industry has it. Try working a retail job running up to Christmas or a job in a cinema when the latest big thing comes out, those frantic periods are not really different to crunch in projects (admittedly it's more reactive and can't easily be spread over a longer time frame but then as I day would you really want to spread it?)

Another interesting point regarding CDPR is they operate inside the EU so are subject to the working time directive. You can't have your employees work more than 48 hours a week averaged over 17 weeks. That means 3-4 weeks of 80-100 hours is fine (as long as you balance it with shorter weeks after the crunch is over) but 3-4 months of 50-60 hour weeks is not.

Raiken

Making Nanomachines great again
kiwifarms.net
I remember in obe video that "positive videos get hardly any views" but looking at his videos now he clearly missed the point of having them: it gives you different things to talk about.
Just tossing it in there once in a while breaks up his wall of sperging so that his other shit does not feel like the same thing every week. Hell, it would help with his mental health.

Andrew Neil

Chairman of The Spectator, GB News
kiwifarms.net
Another interesting point regarding CDPR is they operate inside the EU so are subject to the working time directive.
That directive is easily bypassed with a waiver, or a box on your employment contract/'welcome pack' to tick which states 'I waive the limitations imposed.'

Even if you refuse to waive your rights, while the rules clearly state that employees can't be penalised for refusing, Polish employment law pretty much shrugs and says 'if you have a reasonable need, introduce other working time systems as you see fit.'

CyberCringe

kiwifarms.net
Another interesting point regarding CDPR is they operate inside the EU so are subject to the working time directive. You can't have your employees work more than 48 hours a week averaged over 17 weeks. That means 3-4 weeks of 80-100 hours is fine (as long as you balance it with shorter weeks after the crunch is over) but 3-4 months of 50-60 hour weeks is not.
What gets me is that crunch is common in the industry but CDPR gets singled out, because this time crunch didn't save the game from being a mess. Meanwhile Last of Us 2 had arguably worse crunch with devs reporting they got PTSD because they had to look at real life gore for work, but Naughty Dog catches way less shit for it because they didn't ship a broken game.

The tired cat

Fluffy angel of death
kiwifarms.net
What gets me is that crunch is common in the industry but CDPR gets singled out, because this time crunch didn't save the game from being a mess. Meanwhile Last of Us 2 had arguably worse crunch with devs reporting they got PTSD because they had to look at real life gore for work, but Naughty Dog catches way less shit for it because they didn't ship a broken game.
Well and because "Muh game ish good becuase oh muh message and muh trans gurl!!"

Anonymus Fluhre

No man fears what he has seen grow
kiwifarms.net
Another thing that i think feeds into his contempt for gaming is that he has been screaming into the void of the internet for 6+ years (no idea how long before Jimquisition on YT) with little to nothing to show for it. Sure his fans and paypiggies cheer everytime he is tearing into Ubisoft, but Ubisoft itself does not give a single fuck what he has to say. Nothing he could say or do has any effect whatsoever on the games industry. Neither the developers, nor the consumers outside his audience have even noticed/acknowledged his existence.

And sure, its still rabidly profitable to scream into this void (he makes 15k-ish USD on Patreon alone [with no tiers or anything exclusive!]), but he indeed seems to be somewhat of a narcissist, so that money alone just does not do it for him. He wants to be *someone* so badly that he does not care if that someone is a nutter in spandex or "Pansexual Gendertrash" on Youtube so long as people know who (or what) he is today.

Only problem:stress: ?
He seems to have plateaued on Youtube for a while now and even his paypiggies are seemingly post-peak.
(Keep in mind that Patreon graph has compressed vertical scaling.)
No more sub-growth since September and weekly views are also at an all-time worst.
And that despite regular uploads of proven formats and political alignment with YT.

View attachment 1855656 View attachment 1855772

Interestingly, i did not find any single video around that time in September when stagnation started that would have caused this situation.
You can see this on his channel in general though. A few years back, the "heavy hitters" ie. episodes coasting on a pre-existing shitstorm used to always get in between 1.000.000 to 500.000 views. These days, 500.000+ views has become very rare. Even the "classic" format "worst games of 20xx" episode this year has yet to reach the 500.000 mark after 3 weeks. 2019,2018,2017 and 2016 are all above or close to 1.000.000. Channel is overall still chugging along, but growth has become stagnant. Also a good chunk of his subs don't click his videos anymore. His twitch streams look the same too. 50k followers, but less than 1k active viewers on average. I don't think the spandex-wrangling stuff went anywhere either and anyone still associating with him is even less popular than he is. (The troon "lady" from his podcast is getting less than 1k per upload) [Note: not surprising because holy shit, this person has an annoying voice]

So altogether, things could be better. He is stuck screaming into a void for fame, but said fame is starting to die off because even the void does not care about his hot-takes anymore.
If he does not change something (i would suggest less sperging, more games) then he may never see the 1.000.000 subs. Jimbo may have killed the channel just before hitting that.
If you take the stuff above into consideration , then this current 'tude may be more than just a distaste for games. Even the guys that stuck around through 2020 stopped watching him, so now he not only has to deal with a medium he seemingly hates, but also the fact that nobody cares who he is unless he is talking about video games, and even then nobody really cares.
Have you checked Nox Influencer on his stats to see when he started to go to shit in September? It will keep track of his most important uploads, like August it was his Marvel Avengers video, July it was his Last of Us video.

Johan Schmidt

kiwifarms.net
Crunch is literally just part of working. I had a lab exam four days ago. I spent the term working through the material but the final two weeks of buildup to my exam was balls to the wall simply because I wanted to makesure i was going to finish at the highest standard I could achieve. When I worked in retail we had lull and boom times. When I worked in telesales we had days where i could fuck around and days where i needed to make every single interaction count.

There is a massive difference between being pushed to yor best in work and being exploited at work. If Jim(antha) had ever worked a day in its lie it would know this.

Edit: Actually it is pretty clear the issue is simply that Jim(ester) doesn't "get" the deal with crunch because the useless lump doesn't even take pride in its own work; how could it understand why some (most) people working an actual job are fine with pushing themselves towards the end of a project. If you like and take pride in your work, then you work harder.

Last edited:

Pickle Inspector

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1854340
Mcdonalds staff are the real heroes everyone.
Nothing quite says manchild like being fixated with McDonald's.
- Trying to get his gaming audience into wrestling and failing terribly,
Wrestling fandom is weird, the majority of people who are really into it seem to be 30+ year old guys nostalgic for wrestling they watched in their youth and now that includes the actual wrestlers so you get them just emulating the ‘good old days’ with the addition of some 50-60+ year old guys there for memberberries who overshadow any of the new wrestlers and new fans are likely just confused and bored because they don’t get any of the references or see the point of watching it for hours at a time when there’s YouTube and Netflix.

Yeshuash

Token Polish Guy
kiwifarms.net
This is something very few people seam to talk about.

In comparison with Noughty Dog, CDPR are saints. They literally burned out workers causing them severe health issues.
With CDPR at worst they got longer work hours that where in the limits of working laws (Though there was still allot of mismanagement).

The main difference is that Cyberpunk 2077 was being attack by gaming jurnos since day one for everything and anything. Sexism, racism, political statements etc.
There is a grate article still floating on the internet about Mike Poundsmith, the creator of the universe being a white supremacist, even though he is a black guy.

So when the rushed launch came out, opportunists like Jim jumped on the bandwagon to shit on it from all sides. TLOU2 controversy was softened by the mainstream media showering it with praise and awards. Even though the sales dropped in the first week. Cyberpunk 2077 had no such luck and was attack from both the mainstream and the YT talking heads.

In short "Cyberpunk 2077 is EVIL!!!" is the popular opinion right now so people like Jimbo are milking it hard so people can confirm there opinion bias.

Mr Snek

kiwifarms.net
This is something very few people seam to talk about.

In comparison with Noughty Dog, CDPR are saints. They literally burned out workers causing them severe health issues.
With CDPR at worst they got longer work hours that where in the limits of working laws (Though there was still allot of mismanagement).

The main difference is that Cyberpunk 2077 was being attack by gaming jurnos since day one for everything and anything. Sexism, racism, political statements etc.
There is a grate article still floating on the internet about Mike Poundsmith, the creator of the universe being a white supremacist, even though he is a black guy.

So when the rushed launch came out, opportunists like Jim jumped on the bandwagon to shit on it from all sides. TLOU2 controversy was softened by the mainstream media showering it with praise and awards. Even though the sales dropped in the first week. Cyberpunk 2077 had no such luck and was attack from both the mainstream and the YT talking heads.

In short "Cyberpunk 2077 is EVIL!!!" is the popular opinion right now so people like Jimbo are milking it hard so people can confirm there opinion bias.
Not to mention, you'll never see Jim or anyone like him bringing up how games journalists hyped up and built expectations for Cyberpunk just as much as the actual marketing did. It's really become a vicious cycle of journalists hyping up the next big thing then jumping right into shitting on it as soon as it doesn't meet their expectations.

Coccxys

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
As I said in the ReeeEra thread they decide and agree if a product is good or not before it even comes out. At the point if it was deemed bad then everything in it is a nazi dog whistle of some sort and everyone involved is a white supremacist. If it was judged double plus good then it can have Hitler in the game telling the gamer to go lynch their black neighbours and they'll call it amazing satyre and goty.

SSF2T Old User

No Super Combos Necessary
kiwifarms.net
2014: Just silly toys.
View attachment 1855397

2016: ugly hand figure boglin? thing shows up.
View attachment 1855399

2018: more bog things and outfit starts to get weirder. Wields a cane.
View attachment 1855400

2019: notice the buttons are starting to appear.
View attachment 1855401

2020: I dont even know anymore. More buttons. Also lipstick started here afaik.
View attachment 1855402

Today: Just sad. The Bog things are gone because he has become the Bog. The desk is gone too, because it covered up too much of his virtue-signal vest.
View attachment 1855403
Good Lord...

You can put these pics behind some low-scary music that gets louder near the end and it would fucking terrify anyone. Give it a title like "The Effects Of Woke-ism" or something and it'd be the next best popular redpill released.