Careercow Jim Sterling / James Stanton/Sexton & in memoriam TotalBiscuit (John Bain) - One Gaming Lolcow Thread

Bloody bunny

kiwifarms.net
I think part of it is Jim is sunk in to the industry. He doesn't see a fucking 'out'.

Which is weird, because much less sizeable gaming-focused individuals like Destiny have managed to fully escape the gaming sphere to being socio-political commentators while playing games as a side thing.
Destiny for all his faults has drive and a work ethic and dose not think life should be handed to him.

Oliver Onions

Stop sinning, that's literally all you have to do.
kiwifarms.net
I apologise for derailing the thread by inadvertently starting a semantic argument over the term 'genetic fuck-up'; I'm sure in another time and place legless humans could totally have been the superior beings.

Anyway, can we please get back on topic and observe that Jim by almost all metrics is a fuck-up and, God willing, a genetic dead end.

Enoby Way

Saw something nasty in the woodshed.
kiwifarms.net
As a reader of this thread who lost interest halfway through the derailment and started rating you guys autistic for the lols, please at least spoiler OT shit next time so we can scroll past your gibbering rants if we so choose.

If I end up in the above situation I also try to add something of value about the cow in each post I make as well.

Borscht

delicious soup fren
kiwifarms.net
Then spending his money on toys for children (the Boglins, not the dildos)

Now that you've mentioned it, I suddenly realized why the man has been giving me the creeps all these years.

You want to make rubber penises or bad dragon dildos your channel's selling point, sure, whatever. You want to build your online persona around children's cartoons and toys, that's no skin off my back.

But mixing rubber cocks AND children's toys TOGETHER? Ergh... No. Just no. Bad vibes, man. Very bad vibes.

Noebel

I have set my affair on nothing
kiwifarms.net
Now that you've mentioned it, I suddenly realized why the man has been giving me the creeps all these years.

You want to make rubber penises or bad dragon dildos your channel's selling point, sure, whatever. You want to build your online persona around children's cartoons and toys, that's no skin off my back.

But mixing rubber cocks AND children's toys TOGETHER? Ergh... No. Just no. Bad vibes, man. Very bad vibes.
Mostly unrelated, but I've just recalled this gun psa.

Arthur Morgan

kiwifarms.net

Well he is trying to throw more queer imagery into his show to throw off the Nazi style origins. Guess he's just following the Sophie Labelle route.

LiquidKid

Posts forever ruined by autocorrect
kiwifarms.net
Original:
Archive (360p):
View attachment 1960067

I find it odd that his big “point” in this video is that overhauls never work in turning games around when both Final Fantasy XIV and No Man’s Sky had very prolific turn around thanks to major overhauls. both of which happened in the last 7 years. Ffs, vanilla FFXIV didn’t even have mouse support.

Plenty of games have succeeded from overhauls

Kuritan Deplorable

kiwifarms.net
I find it odd that his big “point” in this video is that overhauls never work in turning games around when both Final Fantasy XIV and No Man’s Sky had very prolific turn around thanks to major overhauls. both of which happened in the last 7 years. Ffs, vanilla FFXIV didn’t even have mouse support.

And many games have had overhauls over their lifespan that radically change the game, successfully, even when they launched ok. Stellaris with its 2.0 overhaul comes to mind, most MMO's out there have had overhauls that shifted them from one model to another. Even unreleased projects are regularly rebooted internally if the version being made is a bit crap and they decide to try a different direction.

Reboots aren't the problem. Its lack of leadership with an initially garbage design that leads to everyone giving up, because nobody can get the brass balls to walk out on the stage FFIV style, and not every company wants to deal with the years of expense and bad press the overhauls will bring.

The only real failure here was it took Anthem two years to be declared dead, when it actually died with the cataclysm.

LiquidKid

Posts forever ruined by autocorrect
kiwifarms.net
And many games have had overhauls over their lifespan that radically change the game, successfully, even when they launched ok. Stellaris with its 2.0 overhaul comes to mind, most MMO's out there have had overhauls that shifted them from one model to another. Even unreleased projects are regularly rebooted internally if the version being made is a bit crap and they decide to try a different direction.

Reboots aren't the problem. Its lack of leadership with an initially garbage design that leads to everyone giving up, because nobody can get the brass balls to walk out on the stage FFIV style, and not every company wants to deal with the years of expense and bad press the overhauls will bring.

The only real failure here was it took Anthem two years to be declared dead, when it actually died with the cataclysm.

I don’t think anyone is blind enough to call anthem good, it was definitely dead on arrival, it’s the “overhauls never work” bit mixed in with his usual “companies bad reee” that seemed out of place.

also, is it just me, or does he assume every major game is made by EA or Activision?
Yeah, season passes and microtransactions are common, but I wouldn’t call most of them “unfinished.”
maybe I’m just blind, but I have very rarely felt like a game was unfinished when I bought it(probably since No Man’s Sky, a game that burned me so bad I’ll never play it or anything Sean Murray works on again).
it just seems like he’s assuming every game is a live service when in reality it’s only a few. Yeah, Square Enix’s avengers game is awful, but we could tell that well before release

Last edited:

Kuritan Deplorable

kiwifarms.net
I don’t think anyone is blind enough to call anthem good, it was definitely dead in arrival, it’s the overhauls never work bit mixed in with his usual “companies bad reeel” that seemed out of palace.

also, is it just me, or does he just assume every major game is made by EA and Activision?
Yeah, season passes and microtransactions are common, but I wouldn’t call most of them “unfinished.”
maybe in just blind, but I have very rarely felt like a game was unfinished when I bought it(probably since No Man’s Sky, a game that burned me so bad I’ll never play it or anything Sean Murray works on again).
it just seems like he’s assuming every game is a live service when in reality it’s only a few. Yeah, Square Enix’s avengers game is awful, but we could tell that well before release
Its just the leftist in him coming out. Acknowledging the good in anything is verboten, all focus must be put purely on the worst of the worst actors and then its implied they represent the entire group, because as soon as the good guys outnumber the bad guys, they run out of steam socially. So fail to acknowledge the good guys, and it looks like the bad guys are always leading.

Oliver Onions

kiwifarms.net
Another problem is bandwagoning. There's no reason Anthem had to be a live-service, it could have just as easily used the Borderlands model and probably fared better, but because live-service games were hot shit at the time and because no one at Bioware had the spine to make a decision they just let the wind guide them.

We had similar problems last-gen with everything going open-world when it didn't have to, and in the 7th-gen when everything had to be a brown-grey shooter or use fucking motion controls.

It's just the nature of the industry when you're dealing with multi-million dollar investments, (which is why indie devs can get away with taking more risks,) but rather than accept that Jim opts to mince round the maypole of "cAAApitalism" for the millionth time.

maybe in just blind, but I have very rarely felt like a game was unfinished when I bought it(probably since No Man’s Sky
There were a lot of unfinished games in the 8th-gen, it's just most people forgot about them.

No Man's Sky is the most famous, but you also had Just Cause 3, Evolve, Darksiders 3, Final Fantasy XV, Assassin's Creed Unity, The Division, Metal Gear Solid V, Destiny 1&2...that's just off the top of my head, I'm sure people could add more; the 8th generation was defined by the mantra of 'fuck it: ship it; fix it later'.

REMEMBERMKULTRA

What else are they lying about?
kiwifarms.net
Another problem is bandwagoning. There's no reason Anthem had to be a live-service, it could have just as easily used the Borderlands model and probably fared better, but because live-service games were hot shit at the time and because no one at Bioware had the spine to make a decision they just let the wind guide them.

We had similar problems last-gen with everything going open-world when it didn't have to, and in the 7th-gen when everything had to be a brown-grey shooter or use fucking motion controls.

It's just the nature of the industry when you're dealing with multi-million dollar investments, (which is why indie devs can get away with taking more risks,) but rather than accept that Jim opts to mince round the maypole of "cAAApitalism" for the millionth time.

There were a lot of unfinished games in the 8th-gen, it's just most people forgot about them.

No Man's Sky is the most famous, but you also had Just Cause 3, Evolve, Darksiders 3, Final Fantasy XV, Assassin's Creed Unity, The Division, Metal Gear Solid V, Destiny 1&2...that's just off the top of my head, I'm sure people could add more; the 8th generation was defined by the mantra of 'fuck it: ship it; fix it later'.
I never got over MGSV. It was soul-crushing.

Oliver Onions

kiwifarms.net
I never got over MGSV. It was soul-crushing.
The worst thing about it is it's easily the best stealth-action game I have ever played, and probably will ever play, and now that engine is locked away in Konami's vault next to all the yet-unbranded pachinko machines.

At least we'll always have the memes, I guess...
MGSV I won't scatter your sorrow.jpg

Dumpster dived waifu

Sieg heil mein waifu
kiwifarms.net

But see, if Jim acknowledged them not only would it defeat his point, but he'd have to backtrack all of the shit he said about no man's sky when it launched, and Jim is definitely too spineless.

Oliver Onions

kiwifarms.net
But see, if Jim acknowledged them not only would it defeat his point, but he'd have to backtrack all of the shit he said about no man's sky when it launched, and Jim is definitely too spineless.
Actually he did acknowledge all the improvements NMS has went through and Sean Murray's redemption arc, but then immediately dismissed it with 'but I still don't care for it so meh'.

So more childish than spineless, but still a sanctimonious prick.

Dumpster dived waifu

Sieg heil mein waifu
kiwifarms.net
Actually he did acknowledge all the improvements NMS has went through and Sean Murray's redemption arc, but then immediately dismissed it with 'but I still don't care for it so meh'.

Well, I started reading that response by preparing an apology for being wrong, but now that I've read through it fully, am I wrong though?

Arthur Morgan

kiwifarms.net

"I'm Jim Fucking Stephanie Sterling, son. I can never be wrong. So No Man's Sky's improvement is irrelevant! Now give me money for more boglin shit!"