Careercow Jim Sterling / James "Stephanie" Sterling / James Stanton/Sexton & in memoriam TotalBiscuit (John Bain) - One Gaming Lolcow Thread

Chilson

kiwifarms.net
I decided to look at Jim's youtube and patreon stats to try and figure out if normies are getting sick as sick of him as us.

Jimmy boys YT stats.
1614633614459.png

That bump in January is most likely due to him coming out as trans, but holy hell has his drop off in viewers been dramatic. He only had 1.7 Million views in February. He is also bleeding subs hard with the most recent stats having him losing 8k subs in February.

Jimmy boys Patreon

1614633865634.png

His Patreon is, as expected, not hurting that much as that is where his hardcore base is located. But it is definitely slipping.

Overall, if I was Jim I would be a bit worried. His core base of paypigs has stuck around, but even before he outed himself it was slowly but surely losing patrons and he is dropping more patrons in the afterglow of his coming out.

His Youtube stats are garbage and reflect a general repulsion to more normal viewers. I don't think he will be expanding his core fanbase anytime soon and he has most definitely peaked in terms of relevance.

Sheryl Nome

Listen to my song
kiwifarms.net
The thing is he actually could do a Carl 'RAPE' Benjamin-style 'This Week In Gaming' that gave a comedic overview of the week's biggest gaming news. The problem is he despises gaming, gamers and the industry so the end result would be the same: him kvetching for 20 minutes about the same old shit.

It's funny Jim once complained no one liked his videos where he's being positive which is how he justifies ranting about cAAApitalism every week, but the reality is even less people wanna watch some middle-aged overweight troon who clearly hates his job/life offer up a lukewarm take on a single news story other people have already covered better and more efficiently, all while constantly reminding the audience of whatever recently diagnosed malady he's using to excuse his shit behaviour this week.
I think part of it is Jim is sunk in to the industry. He doesn't see a fucking 'out'.

Which is weird, because much less sizeable gaming-focused individuals like Destiny have managed to fully escape the gaming sphere to being socio-political commentators while playing games as a side thing.

Dumpster dived waifu

Sieg heil mein waifu
kiwifarms.net
The fact this is almost one week old news is hilarious and is possibly the perfect example of how terrible his model for his videos is. Like it's been said before, he subjects himself to only receiving the scraps/sloppy seconds of everyone else's viewership who reported on the actual day the news came out (or the day after at most). Couldn't happen to a nicer guy, really.
Honestly, he could handle being late on news if he just fucking changed his model. He could spend the extra days since the news release to write something examining why this failure was only killed now, what this means for future Bioware projects, a look at whatever people legitimately liked the game despites is flaws. Instead he goes full DSP and takes the easiest route so he can shit out content he hates to satiate whatever remains of his fans that clamor for his samey opinion.
Jim thinks he's smart for thinking that Anthem would die a year ago
Fucking everybody and their grandmother saw the fucking sign factory working overtime to print out enough signs that this game was going to get fucking axed before it could be fixed. You're not clairvoyant for having fucking common sense.

Kuritan Deplorable

kiwifarms.net
The thing is he actually could do a Carl 'RAPE' Benjamin-style 'This Week In Gaming' that gave a comedic overview of the week's biggest gaming news. The problem is he despises gaming, gamers and the industry so the end result would be the same: him kvetching for 20 minutes about the same old shit.

It's funny Jim once complained no one liked his videos where he's being positive which is how he justifies ranting about cAAApitalism every week, but the reality is even less people wanna watch some middle-aged overweight troon who clearly hates his job/life offer up a lukewarm take on a single news story other people have already covered better and more efficiently, all while constantly reminding the audience of whatever recently diagnosed malady he's using to excuse his shit behaviour this week.
A formula changeup would really be his best bet if he wants to keep being a negative cunt. You can actually present mostly negative takes, if done in an enjoyable fashion. Lookit the Critical Drinker, where the hate is clearly delivered from a place of love, not loathing.

If he changed the Jimquisition over to a day-of-news five minute video, cut out the self serving weird skits, and just focused on addressing the actual topics, he'd get much more engagement. He could even keep the monday rant-a-thon cancer, but he needs to change the model, living off a weekly show just doesn't cut it anymore in the gaming media sphere. His production quality is low enough that he could easily get the news and script on one day, record, edit and post on the next. One day news lag isn't bad.

Illuminati Order Official

Piece of Poo
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If he changed the Jimquisition over to a day-of-news five minute video, cut out the self serving weird skits, and just focused on addressing the actual topics, he'd get much more engagement. He could even keep the monday rant-a-thon cancer, but he needs to change the model, living off a weekly show just doesn't cut it anymore in the gaming media sphere. His production quality is low enough that he could easily get the news and script on one day, record, edit and post on the next. One day news lag isn't bad.
I don't think there is enough gaming news worth covering, at least not in Jim's shit-on-all style to make a daily show. If he tries to move to socio-political news first, it would be awful, second there is enough left \ progressive commentators with established position and following so Jim would have to fight for his place on the stage.
His best shot would be doing what he did a few years back, unscripted impressions on random garbage indie games. It was fairly entertaining, didn't require a lot of work other than finding the games to play and gave him some actual recognition thanks to DigHom situation.

bluebarrel

kiwifarms.net
Personally I care more about a game treating me like cattle than the devs being treated like cattle.

I think this is pretty spot-on for most people. I do care if people are being treated like shit at work like many game developers are, however, that is not a unique problem to the games industry. There are many industries in which the workers are far more essential to society than the work of making video games, that also get shit on, have their passions exploited, or are treated as if they are disposable. I think many of us that work for someone else for a living see at least some aspect of this at our own jobs.

Which. of course, is part of why people play video games, because they want to have fun and relax and debate about strategies or dive into fantasy worlds, they are our escape. I think most people already know that it's the case that someone had a bad time making the game and don't need a reminder, because they are keenly aware that working for clueless higher-ups often results in project mismanagement, delays, and bad times at work. Because that's everywhere. Most of us have first hand experience.

We don't need weekly reminders that it's not woke to enjoy things. I'm not surprised viewership is on the decline if that's all Jim has to peddle.

whatever I feel like

Disney Diaper Size Fetish Enthusiast
kiwifarms.net
I don't think there is enough gaming news worth covering, at least not in Jim's shit-on-all style to make a daily show. If he tries to move to socio-political news first, it would be awful, second there is enough left \ progressive commentators with established position and following so Jim would have to fight for his place on the stage.
His best shot would be doing what he did a few years back, unscripted impressions on random garbage indie games. It was fairly entertaining, didn't require a lot of work other than finding the games to play and gave him some actual recognition thanks to DigHom situation.
Yongyeah manges to pull it off. But he also streeeeeetches like a motherfucker to reach that Youtube desired 13 minutes and gives knob slobs to arty trash games.

AnOminous

とても可愛い
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
At least the developers are being paid to be treated like cattle. Their employers want me to pay for the privilege of being treated like cattle instead.
"Crunch" isn't even always because the company is scumbags. Sometimes, something just has to be done by a certain time and there's a deadline to be met, and it has to be done. Some companies are shitty and if it happens every single time, maybe it's a shitty company, but quit fucking whining about having to work more sometimes.

AsbestosFlaygon

What's your favorite kind of shampoo?
kiwifarms.net
I think this is pretty spot-on for most people. I do care if people are being treated like shit at work like many game developers are, however, that is not a unique problem to the games industry. There are many industries in which the workers are far more essential to society than the work of making video games, that also get shit on, have their passions exploited, or are treated as if they are disposable. I think many of us that work for someone else for a living see at least some aspect of this at our own jobs.
Here's the thing as well, these problems aren't new, things like crunch have been regulated for decades at this point. I've said this before but I wonder how he's react to the USPS, during Christmas crunch time is guaranteed to happen. The best way to highlight this is the overtime pay, of course if you go over the standard time you get extra, I think it's double your pay. For most periods of the year there's also a threshold which if you pass that you get extra pay on top of overtime, I think it's quadruple standard pay, but could be wrong so take the figures as just examples. I say most because they don't do quad pay during the holidays because of how much overtime there is.

Now thing about it this way, this is basically a unionized government job (insert comment about the USPS technically being a private company just controlled by the government here) which are rather notorious for being much stricter when it comes to this stuff. If they could do the job without having to make people work overtime the unions would've likely pushed for that a long time ago. Now keep in mind that most places aren't as strict as these unionized government jobs, they don't have to pay anywhere near as much and have less restrictions on how much overtime employees can work than these places.

My basic point here is that you probably aren't going to see much change when it comes to overtime considering what's allowed in other industries. Fact of the matter is game development's a rock star industry, whenever someone leaves you have 20 people behind them ready to take their place. Unless you're Miyamoto, Kojima, or some other extremely prestigious dev they aren't going to push too hard to keep or hire you, because frankly it's a waste of resources to do so when so many other people are out there who are just as good as you.

whatever I feel like

Disney Diaper Size Fetish Enthusiast
kiwifarms.net
Here's the thing as well, these problems aren't new, things like crunch have been regulated for decades at this point. I've said this before but I wonder how he's react to the USPS, during Christmas crunch time is guaranteed to happen. The best way to highlight this is the overtime pay, of course if you go over the standard time you get extra, I think it's double your pay. For most periods of the year there's also a threshold which if you pass that you get extra pay on top of overtime, I think it's quadruple standard pay, but could be wrong so take the figures as just examples. I say most because they don't do quad pay during the holidays because of how much overtime there is.

Now thing about it this way, this is basically a unionized government job (insert comment about the USPS technically being a private company just controlled by the government here) which are rather notorious for being much stricter when it comes to this stuff. If they could do the job without having to make people work overtime the unions would've likely pushed for that a long time ago. Now keep in mind that most places aren't as strict as these unionized government jobs, they don't have to pay anywhere near as much and have less restrictions on how much overtime employees can work than these places.

My basic point here is that you probably aren't going to see much change when it comes to overtime considering what's allowed in other industries. Fact of the matter is game development's a rock star industry, whenever someone leaves you have 20 people behind them ready to take their place. Unless you're Miyamoto, Kojima, or some other extremely prestigious dev they aren't going to push too hard to keep or hire you, because frankly it's a waste of resources to do so when so many other people are out there who are just as good as you.
The answer, in that case, was to plan your timetable better, because you should be able to roll your games out like the corporate, factory products they are. And not for your worker's benefit either. Crunch is bad for business, crunched employees are getting way more money than usual, due to OT rules, while putting in subpar work due to burnout. Much better to just plan your shit properly.

AnOminous

とても可愛い
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
The answer, in that case, was to plan your timetable better, because you should be able to roll your games out like the corporate, factory products they are. And not for your worker's benefit either. Crunch is bad for business, crunched employees are getting way more money than usual, due to OT rules, while putting in subpar work due to burnout. Much better to just plan your shit properly.
That's nice to say, but in reality, unforeseen shit happens. If you plan well, it doesn't happen every time, but sometimes, it's unavoidable. There's a hurricane that knocks down your building, a global pandemic, your main contractor flakes out, whatever.

Ita Mori

💔This is the best way to go💔
kiwifarms.net
Overall, if I was Jim I would be a bit worried. His core base of paypigs has stuck around, but even before he outed himself it was slowly but surely losing patrons and he is dropping more patrons in the afterglow of his coming out.

His Youtube stats are garbage and reflect a general repulsion to more normal viewers. I don't think he will be expanding his core fanbase anytime soon and he has most definitely peaked in terms of relevance.
Nah. If I were Jim I'd be ecstatic.
This means I can leave my old youtube gaming audience behind since it's essentially dead already and cater to my paypigs who want to see me talk about IdPol and how capitalism is the devil, which he so wants to do.

Enoby Way

Saw something nasty in the woodshed.
kiwifarms.net
Is everyone just ignoring that crunch in the games industry isn't like crunch in a stable environment?
Games crunch periods will last upward of a month at a time, the workers are let go at the end of every project so they can't acquire seniority or any kind of actual rights, the companies don't really pay benefits, and multiple mental breakdowns by the workers are written off as collateral damage. Stability doesn't exist.

In other jobs with crunch periods, you're still employed during the non-crunch periods so it balances out.

Oliver Onions

Stop sinning, that's literally all you have to do.
kiwifarms.net
I think part of it is Jim is sunk in to the industry. He doesn't see a fucking 'out'.

Which is weird, because much less sizeable gaming-focused individuals like Destiny have managed to fully escape the gaming sphere to being socio-political commentators while playing games as a side thing.
I think more than being sunk into the industry, he is sunk into his own routine and can't be bothered to change with the times.

You're right there's no reason he couldn't completely pivot and become like Critikal or Pewdiepie, who pump out videos about literally anything and get great views/engagement because they're charming guys who clearly enjoy what they do, but that's Jim's problem: he's totally miserable now, and like most troons will continue to blame everyone but himself for his downfall.

A formula changeup would really be his best bet if he wants to keep being a negative cunt. You can actually present mostly negative takes, if done in an enjoyable fashion. Lookit the Critical Drinker, where the hate is clearly delivered from a place of love, not loathing.
I think Yahtzee is the best example that not only can you make a career out of being a negative cunt, you can do it while only putting out one video a week. The difference between him and Jim is the former clearly still has a passion for writing (even when he hates the games he's writing about,) so his material remains fresh and funny even after 10+ years.

The Jimquisition, on the other hand, has reached the point of parody where you don't even need to watch anymore to know what Jim is going to be talking about, and I think that's why a formula change-up (which is a good idea) still wouldn't save Jim's channel because instead of one video of a miserable cunt being miserable we'd get them daily.

DumbassRecords

Busy reading retarded Twitter threads.
kiwifarms.net
A lot of his videos have become Skit,capitalism bad, (Take a potshot at a company here), Bobby Kotick and what not. It gets grating listening to the same shit and that shit takes 2/3 of the video. Ffs even Angry Joe with his skits has more "meat/content" in his reviews and gaming news.

I think Yahtzee is the best example that not only can you make a career out of being a negative cunt, you can do it while only putting out one video a week. The difference between him and Jim is the former clearly still has a passion for writing (even when he hates the games he's writing about,) so his material remains fresh and funny even after 10+ years.
^

Muppetstudios

kiwifarms.net
A lot of his videos have become Skit,capitalism bad, (Take a potshot at a company here), Bobby Kotick and what not. It gets grating listening to the same shit and that shit takes 2/3 of the video. Ffs even Angry Joe with his skits has more "meat/content" in his reviews and gaming news.

^
Thats exactly what turned me off to him its not the Troon thing its the capitalism = bad while making your money criticising toys for adults