Careercow Jim Sterling / James "Stephanie" Sterling / James Stanton/Sexton & in memoriam TotalBiscuit (John Bain) - One Gaming Lolcow Thread

• Ongoing DDoS attack.

DEBIRU MAN

デビルマン
kiwifarms.net
This is actually an interesting point, anyone know why the Switch has had such a rapid emulation scene develop when, last I checked, we're still struggling to emulate certain N64 games without them wigging the fuck out?

Switch basically runs on modern PC architecture. It is much easier to figure out then the old completely proprietary methods of older consoles.

You can thank people like the Farm's Most Famous Victim, Byuu. The Nintendo emulation scene is packed to the gills with autism. And with consoles becoming more and more like glorified laptops or small form-factor PCs as time goes on, with everything being done monolithically software-side instead of having to code for specific chips, all that autism can make surprisingly quick progress.

ETA: IIRC, the Switch OS is also based on previous console OSs Nintendo has released, so there's a good chance some code was reused for the emulator.
Both of these are good explinations, but basically a mixture of the codebase and hardware. Video Games were seen as little more then toys back in the day, and most manufacturers would come up with their own coding languages to make video games and run their hardware. However, each language would have it's own little quirk that only the designer would know how to turn off/navigate around, which is why the Xbox emulation scene is largely a ghost town, and the PS3 had struggled for years with the cell architecture. Ever since the PS4/Xbox One generation, consoles have largely been adopting PC architecture/components that largely run their own OS instead of Windows or Linux. This is why when the Switch game out, the Wii U emulation scene exploded so people could play Breath of the Wild on PC, and naturally once that fever died down, they moved over to Switch emulation.

Muppetstudios

kiwifarms.net
I sort of agree Nintendo is a bit shit when it comes to pricing including newish games Bioshock is still £40 on Switch but £6 on xbox but if according to Jim as its easy to play roms it's also just as easy to use Brave or ad blocker so I guess that's okay

Decoy St. Chum

Not thirsting for anyone, anywhere. FREE ME NULL
kiwifarms.net
This is actually an interesting point, anyone know why the Switch has had such a rapid emulation scene develop when, last I checked, we're still struggling to emulate certain N64 games without them wigging the fuck out?
Documentation. Switch is REALLY, REALLY close to being a straight up Tegra X1, which is pretty standard as far as ARM-based SoCs go, and Android emulators are very developed now. I'd wager that only leaves the OS, the API and small modifications made to the chip by Nintendo as any real challenges.

Last edited:

Matt Damon

kiwifarms.net
One of the most time-consuming parts of emulation is reverse engineering precisely how everything works - there's a huge amount of trial-and-error involved as you realize certain approaches don't work in certain situations and such. A lot of emulation improvement over the years is simply throwing away much of what worked previously and re-writing it to deal accurately with all the edge cases you've discovered.

But from what I understand, the Switch is very similar to one of the nVidia Shield incarnations and was reportedly pretty well-documented from launch. When you've got documentation explaining how each sub-system is supposed to work together, it speeds up the process of emulating all those processes tremendously.

Jaracainofthewind

kiwifarms.net
The 64 did some really wacky shit. Like cutscenes run as game objects wacky. But more to the point the way it could kick things around in memory is really hard to duplicate

Bolo

kiwifarms.net
One of the most time-consuming parts of emulation is reverse engineering precisely how everything works - there's a huge amount of trial-and-error involved as you realize certain approaches don't work in certain situations and such. A lot of emulation improvement over the years is simply throwing away much of what worked previously and re-writing it to deal accurately with all the edge cases you've discovered.

But from what I understand, the Switch is very similar to one of the nVidia Shield incarnations and was reportedly pretty well-documented from launch. When you've got documentation explaining how each sub-system is supposed to work together, it speeds up the process of emulating all those processes tremendously.
Excellent post and a good reason on why Sterling show is turned into shit.

Look, at one point I agree with Stephanie here, it is interesting that people managed to emulate the new metroid in 4k in a small amount of time. And if we look back at the history of emulation, nintendo hardware is one of the easiest ones to emulate, especially from the Game Cube onwards more so compared to stuff like the PS2 which still has a lot of games with tons of issues to emulate (sigh, Shadow Hearts 2) and Sega Saturn, a console with such a weird hardware architecture that even to this day it is a pain in the ass to get the games to run smoothly.

heck, earlier this year I manged to run Bravely Default 2 on a 5 year old graphics card, and it worked fine for most of the time.

So, why the fuck would Sterling focus on the nintendrones bitching when the more interesting story is that Nintendo doesn't seem to care about piracy, considering how easy was to crack and emulate their past consoles. And that's because Nintendo is in a unique position in the business where they have this unbreakable brand loyalty, and I think that's because they deliver quality most of the time.

Sure, fuck Nintendo for charging 50 bucks to play some old ass N64 games, screw that. Still, regardless, they are going to make money out of that, and again, I don't think they care about piracy, and yet Sterling never questions that.

So, no perspective besides the same old tired diatribe about capitalism shit, fuck trying, just give people the same video over and over again eh?

Also, to end the sperg, on a thing that Sterling got wrong, when he talked about re-releasing old games doesn't pay the artists because they already were paid to make the original product, so it just evil corporations that get that cash. Yeah, no, the re-release of games goes into the total yearly profit of the company, and in most public traded companies (as Nintendo is), employers get a share of the yearly profits, of course the amount depends on contracts, seniority, etc, but the ground guys most likely do benefit from the Nintendo cash grabs Sterling, so no, you pirating nintendo shit isn't just sticking to the "man", you dumb tub of lard.

Matt Damon

kiwifarms.net
Nintendo doesn't seem to care about piracy
On the contrary, Nintendo is easily the most litigious (or willing to threaten litigation) of all the big publishers. Nintendo ROMs are significantly harder to come by online compared to other consoles/publishers due to frequently threatening legal action against the sites hosting them.

Not that they're impossible to get or anything, but Nintendo is one of the few game companies I know of that actively goes around policing their old IP.

Bolo

kiwifarms.net
On the contrary, Nintendo is easily the most litigious (or willing to threaten litigation) of all the big publishers. Nintendo ROMs are significantly harder to come by online compared to other consoles/publishers due to frequently threatening legal action against the sites hosting them.

Not that they're impossible to get or anything, but Nintendo is one of the few game companies I know of that actively goes around policing their old IP.
Yeah, forgot about that, I guess I'm the dumbass.

But I disagree about nintendo emulation being hard to find, it is still pretty easy to find nintendo roms and even recent Switch .isos no problem, it is all a google away pretty much.

I don't know if nintendo has been cracking on it recently, but if they are, it is clear that it isn't working.

Decoy St. Chum

Not thirsting for anyone, anywhere. FREE ME NULL
kiwifarms.net
The 64 did some really wacky shit. Like cutscenes run as game objects wacky. But more to the point the way it could kick things around in memory is really hard to duplicate
Yeah, there's a famous feature in Mario Kart 64 that involves a texture of a broadcasting screen that is a mirror of gameplay. Like, it doesn't play a video, it literally broadcasts your gameplay on the texture and the emulators couldn't recreate it until VERY recently.
when the more interesting story is that Nintendo doesn't seem to care about piracy, considering how easy was to crack and emulate their past consoles.
That's absolutely incorrect. Emulation has been famously ruled as legal and even encouraged by Sony v. Connectix. The tricky part is documentation: no original code is EVER allowed to be used; everything must be reverse-engineered, which is why even when source code and documentation are leaked no emulators use it.
However, each language would have it's own little quirk that only the designer would know how to turn off/navigate around, which is why the Xbox emulation scene is largely a ghost town, and the PS3 had struggled for years with the cell architecture.
PS3 had such an obtuse and complex architecture to stomp on the competition, actually. They thought that because the PlayStation brand is so powerful game devs would spend all their time on the PS3 versions and won't port anything to 360.

Oliver Onions

Stop sinning, that's literally all you have to do.
kiwifarms.net

I think you're both right: Nintendo don't have to care about piracy because they have a team of lawyers who will obliterate anyone they can catch pirating their shit, more than making up for any 'lost' sales.
Also, to end the sperg, on a thing that Sterling got wrong, when he talked about re-releasing old games doesn't pay the artists because they already were paid to make the original product, so it just evil corporations that get that cash. Yeah, no, the re-release of games goes into the total yearly profit of the company, and in most public traded companies (as Nintendo is), employers get a share of the yearly profits, of course the amount depends on contracts, seniority, etc, but the ground guys most likely do benefit from the Nintendo cash grabs Sterling, so no, you pirating nintendo shit isn't just sticking to the "man", you dumb tub of lard.
What do you wanna bet Jim based his 'artists already got paid lol' assumption on the stramash a few years back where voice actors tried to demand residuals on their performances off of all future sales?
PS3 had such an obtuse and complex architecture to stomp on the competition, actually. They thought that because the PlayStation brand is so powerful game devs would spend all their time on the PS3 versions and won't port anything to 360.
I remember an MVG video going over this and it blew my mind.

I guess it kind of worked out in the long run for the mad bastards who put the effort in to decode the mysteries of the cell architecture, but I'll never forget playing Bayonetta at a blistering single digit framerate and getting a load screen every time I wanted to pause the game.

TheBeanz

Heinz Meanz Beanz
kiwifarms.net
fuck trying, just give people the same video over and over again eh?
Ironically, you could attach this philosophy to a lot of HD remasters from triple A developers.

When it comes to old games being re-released it's far better to look to the communities for their version. Take Command & Conquer as an example, you have the official remaster and the open-source OpenRA. C&C Remastered has some better graphics and remastered cutscenes, but the gameplay remains exactly the same, with shitty pathfinding and a general lack of modern QoL updates.

OpenRA on the other hand, keeps the core gameplay and graphics (Upscaled to suit modern resolutions) and adds the modern touches that we're used to in RTS, like attack/move, rally points, unit stances etc. It's a more enjoyable game.

The same thing applies to emulators if you ask me, the community will take more steps to actually improve the product out of their passion for it rather than sticking minimal effort into a remaster for the sake of quick money.

Matt Damon

kiwifarms.net
I guess it kind of worked out in the long run for the mad bastards who put the effort in to decode the mysteries of the cell architecture, but I'll never forget playing Bayonetta at a blistering single digit framerate and getting a load screen every time I wanted to pause the game.
There's something so bizarre about developing a game console using an enormously expensive custom architecture that was really bad at running standard game logic, but was so good at some extremely specific compute tasks that modern hardware still can't compete 15 years later.

Sony was really huffing their own farts in the mid 2000s.

Brain Problems

kiwifarms.net
There's something so bizarre about developing a game console using an enormously expensive custom architecture that was really bad at running standard game logic, but was so good at some extremely specific compute tasks that modern hardware still can't compete 15 years later.

Sony was really huffing their own farts in the mid 2000s.
I remember seeing an image of the US army using a shitload of PS3s in a server farm set-up or something similar because they were a cost-effective method of doing whatever the fuck it is they were doing at the time. This could have been a shooped image but I like to believe it was real.

Matt Damon

kiwifarms.net
I remember seeing an image of the US army using a shitload of PS3s in a server farm set-up or something similar because they were a cost-effective method of doing whatever the fuck it is they were doing at the time. This could have been a shooped image but I like to believe it was real.

Some things never change.

Kevin Grumbles

kiwifarms.net
I will be buying Metroid Dread and then emulating it, because while I get the emulation experience is better, I can actually think ahead to a team getting disbanded, people not getting bonuses or promotions for a success, someone probably sticking their neck out to get a project greenlit and getting shit-canned for wasting time and money, and all sorts of other effects of it not selling well no matter how many people play it and love it. It's a good game, I will want more of it, and buying it is the path to getting that.

Someone should ask him how he feels about pirating all the games his buddies make or contribute to, especially ones he promotes or lends voice acting or writing input on. He already got paid for his input, so he'd support it wholesale, right? I always love the 30 page diatribes full of pseudo-intellectual words trying to mask an absolute abortion of logical deduction that boils down to "It's different when it affects *ME* and everyone else can get fucked, especially if that's also good for *ME*."

The Lawgiver

THE LONGER THE ICON OF SIN IS ON EARTH THE STRONGE
kiwifarms.net
I'm going to disagree with you there. For the most part, Jim doesn't seem to take issue with Nintendo as long as they don't pull any monetization tricks (i.e. mobile games). The one significant exception (which this video reiterates) is their ironclad opposition to piracy, combined with their inability to provide a suitable replacement.
The shit Jim did with BOTW, and the more recent post-trooning weird blatant lying about the Lego Luigi, framing it as being a capitalist lootbox scheme where you had to "buy all the lego marios in the hopes of getting a random luigi" tells me otherwise.

Jim now falls into the category of "video game talking head that doesn't actually seem to like playing video games" The fact he joined in on the current trend journalists and some twitch thots are doing where they try framing not having an option to just have the game play itself or skip all gameplay as an "accessibility issue" is another symptomof this that wouldn't be a thing if Jim was concerned with games as a whole instead of just games being another way to gain popularity and influence amongst the clique he's in.

Dr. Pasquale

Harvard PhD
kiwifarms.net
Jim now falls into the category of "video game talking head that doesn't actually seem to like playing video games" The fact he joined in on the current trend journalists and some twitch thots are doing where they try framing not having an option to just have the game play itself or skip all gameplay as an "accessibility issue" is another symptomof this that wouldn't be a thing if Jim was concerned with games as a whole instead of just games being another way to gain popularity and influence amongst the clique he's in.
Its been like that for a couple of years already, trooning out just accelerated the process. All he's doing now is hijacking videogames to insert his lukewarm twitter polytics of the week, the accessibility issue video being the most blatent example of this.

Its your avarage "videogames need to have easy modes and whatnot because some people wouldnt be able to play it and theres no right way to play a game" with some alphabet and muh mental ilness inserted in there. Games are not and should not be for everyone, you cant handle a game being hard or cant play it because of X or Y then go play something else. You wouldnt tell a painter to change his shit up because a blind person cant see it.

That example Jimbo gives about spending a shit load of cash in some gacha Rick and Morty cashgrab really gives you some good insight into how messed up his thought process is. Its not my fault that I'm a mindless consummer, is the game's fault for exploiting my low IQ and ADHD! By this same logic its not his fault he got fat, its McDonalds' for making good tasting sugar water and big macs.

Jimbo is proof that having no sense of responsability for yourself or for your behavior leads you to becoming a gender blob troon in a bad wig.

The Fatriarchy

kiwifarms.net
The shit Jim did with BOTW, and the more recent post-trooning weird blatant lying about the Lego Luigi, framing it as being a capitalist lootbox scheme where you had to "buy all the lego marios in the hopes of getting a random luigi" tells me otherwise.
He didn't say anything like that, though. He said that Mario calling for Luigi was a manipulative tactic to make you buy the Luigi set that was just about to come out at the time. The actual lying part is when he made it sound like Mario was emotional about it, but there's not really any sense of urgency in it at all. He really just goes "Luigi?" and that's it. The kids would have wanted the Luigi set regardless of Mario's input.

Product Placement

kiwifarms.net
Sega Saturn, a console with such a weird hardware architecture that even to this day it is a pain in the ass to get the games to run smoothly.
That hasn't been the case in well over 5 years, Saturn emulation is really good now. And it is not just one Saturn emu but a few of them now.
from 2018

Switch also just got a Saturn emu which has great speed but does have some input lag which will hopefully get sorted out

Oliver Onions

Stop sinning, that's literally all you have to do.
kiwifarms.net
Have we discussed yet how Jim also managed to shoehorn in a dig at Netflix in the latest JQ, calling it a 'transphobic platform for transphobes' due to the new Dave Chapelle stand-up?

We know he has Netflix because he recently mentioned watching Squid Game --assuming he didn't pirate it because the actors already got paid lol-- so will he be cancelling like a good little ally?