Careercow Jim Sterling / James "Stephanie" Sterling / James Stanton/Sexton & in memoriam TotalBiscuit (John Bain) - One Gaming Lolcow Thread

Moja Zemlja

kiwifarms.net
I'll admit I've not had to rely on the NHS for mental health but they saved my life when I was a kid and needed an emergency full blood transfusion. I remember when I broke my foot a few years ago, I got a full 3D CAT scan of the foot, showing me where the break was, and got it all secured within around 45 minutes. My dad had a knee replacement a couple of months ago and the service was exemplary. My mam died of cancer a few years ago and, once again, the nurses and doctors couldn't have helped more (they did offer mental health support for me and my dad at the time but we both declined). They made my mam as comfortable as possible to the end, once the chemo and radiotherapy proved to not be enough to cure her - the original diagnosis was that she had 6 months max but she survived for 18.
I fucking love the NHS for these reasons and just wish the government supported them more.
I've had family members and friends rely a lot on the NHS and I have to say that outside of emergency situations it can be incredibly slow, the quality and speed of care you get varies a lot on what the problem is and where you live.

Keavy Rain

kiwifarms.net
To be fair, I don't think anyone would complain if they decided to just pay him his, like, 2 billion dollars or something just be rid of him. "We value your service to the company but have determined we'd value your absence a lot more.*"

*Would be said more professionally than that... maybe.
If Kotick doesn’t have “Fuck you” money minus any golden parachutes it’s because he spends money like he’s the bastard child of DSP and Nic Cage

BHWuser

kiwifarms.net
If Kotick doesn’t have “Fuck you” money minus any golden parachutes it’s because he spends money like he’s the bastard child of DSP and Nic Cage
A lot of people don't understand that multi-millionaires and billionaires don't just horde their wealth. They are often putting the vast majority of it into investments that, ultimately, build new industry and creates jobs. And also absorbs a lot of risk.

BaconBoobs

kiwifarms.net
The thing about the NHS is it’s really good at certain things such as emergency care and the immediate aftercare or if you’ve got a long term straight forward condition but other things they’re lacking in such as mental health care so I think it’d be a bit of a culture shock for him.

For example according to a leading trans clinic they’re so backlogged they’re just getting round to people who first applied in November 2017 and I doubt he’d get any ADHD medication without going private if he‘s on anything like that.

So if he did move back here prepare for lots of videos of Jim bitching about mental health services on the NHS.

Yeah, Blizzard Activision currently is at a pretty big low right now.

I wonder if they can potentially reinvigorate certain brands like try and get WoW running on consoles.
When I was studying in Bongland I will admit when I had an accident the care I got from the NHS was top fucking tier, shit like private room, cable TV and the food was decent, the best part never got charged a dime. I could not complain so its sad to hear they are now wasting bong taxpayer money on delusional men in wigs and dresses.

AngryTreeRat

Meds aren't working. Better get new ones.
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, Blizzard Activision currently is at a pretty big low right now.

I wonder if they can potentially reinvigorate certain brands like try and get WoW running on consoles.
My 2 cents on this is this knowing what I do from my experience in the industry:

Their first priority, knowing the scope of A-B is to find out what IPs they own, which will take at least three years of lawyers reading paperwork (Bethesda likely is going to need at least one more year of this themselves, as IP rights are a shit show to make sense of, this isn't anything unusual for this type of thing) and what is in progress, which itself will likely take a year or so. They then likely won't interfere with anything in progress, but they will probably kill everyone's queue beyond current project until they assess everything, and start assigning people accordingly to new projects. This might seem weird, not knowing what they bought, but for game publishers they often don't really know what they own most of the time when they buy a given studio, as there is a tangle of rights spread out across any studio or publisher they've previously worked with, so you often acquire a bunch of weird pack ins beyond the thing you actually wanted.

The most general thing I expect to see is they will likely pull most of the CoD miners off CoD and onto other IPs they can make use of instead, as CoD would become self competing since they control multiple FPS franchises now, I suspect we'll see a rotation of FPS franchises from Microsoft in the nearish future.

Since Id is a bit of a mystery ATM, they they might move Raven over to being under Id to help fix a bunch of legal issues related to rights that are decades old if they plan to exploit the fact they now own the publishing and development rights of Heretic/Hexen. If they don't want to do so, they likely won't do anything special with Raven for now.

Owning Crash and Spyro is a good "Fuck you" to Sony, which has a long history with those franchises, so they will likely further revive them beyond the recent dabblings that have already happened for no other reason than it is worth it to mock Sony, and Microsoft is that type of petty.

Blizzard is likely to get some closer oversight, but mostly in the form of an injection of veteran developers with loyalty to Microsoft and smaller egos than the current group, less of a "make us more money" and more of a "don't fuck shit up" type oversight, as that is more their style, since Microsoft will be wanting to get what they can out of those brands, as those are some of the juicier prizes in this acquisition. Microsoft will likely be mandating more RTS from Blizzard, as they've been seeing pretty good success with those on PC, a reassessment of the direction they've been taking WoW in, but I doubt a console port as the engine it is built on is a fucking shit show, and reprioritization of Diablo 4 over Immortals. I suspect they will also mandate a Diablo Immortals PC and console port.

All in all, I suspect this is an eight or nine year project for Microsoft, as A-B is really fucking big and to handle this correctly and to maximize profit will require a careful and delicate hand.

IAmNotAlpharius

Nothing to see here. Move along citizen.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My 2 cents on this is this knowing what I do from my experience in the industry:

Their first priority, knowing the scope of A-B is to find out what IPs they own, which will take at least three years of lawyers reading paperwork (Bethesda likely is going to need at least one more year of this themselves, as IP rights are a shit show to make sense of, this isn't anything unusual for this type of thing) and what is in progress, which itself will likely take a year or so. They then likely won't interfere with anything in progress, but they will probably kill everyone's queue beyond current project until they assess everything, and start assigning people accordingly to new projects. This might seem weird, not knowing what they bought, but for game publishers they often don't really know what they own most of the time when they buy a given studio, as there is a tangle of rights spread out across any studio or publisher they've previously worked with, so you often acquire a bunch of weird pack ins beyond the thing you actually wanted.

The most general thing I expect to see is they will likely pull most of the CoD miners off CoD and onto other IPs they can make use of instead, as CoD would become self competing since they control multiple FPS franchises now, I suspect we'll see a rotation of FPS franchises from Microsoft in the nearish future.

Since Id is a bit of a mystery ATM, they they might move Raven over to being under Id to help fix a bunch of legal issues related to rights that are decades old if they plan to exploit the fact they now own the publishing and development rights of Heretic/Hexen. If they don't want to do so, they likely won't do anything special with Raven for now.

Owning Crash and Spyro is a good "Fuck you" to Sony, which has a long history with those franchises, so they will likely further revive them beyond the recent dabblings that have already happened for no other reason than it is worth it to mock Sony, and Microsoft is that type of petty.

Blizzard is likely to get some closer oversight, but mostly in the form of an injection of veteran developers with loyalty to Microsoft and smaller egos than the current group, less of a "make us more money" and more of a "don't fuck shit up" type oversight, as that is more their style, since Microsoft will be wanting to get what they can out of those brands, as those are some of the juicier prizes in this acquisition. Microsoft will likely be mandating more RTS from Blizzard, as they've been seeing pretty good success with those on PC, a reassessment of the direction they've been taking WoW in, but I doubt a console port as the engine it is built on is a fucking shit show, and reprioritization of Diablo 4 over Immortals. I suspect they will also mandate a Diablo Immortals PC and console port.

All in all, I suspect this is an eight or nine year project for Microsoft, as A-B is really fucking big and to handle this correctly and to maximize profit will require a careful and delicate hand.
Oh yeah they own WoW and ESO now.

CryoRevival #SJ-112

kiwifarms.net

I would like to see them make the WoW creative direction subbordinate to whomever leads the Hearthstone section of the IP, because I agree with Bellular that Hearthstone has had the soul of the Warcraft IP for a while now.

You can't even play wow on a PC without shitloads of 3rd party addons, no way they let a mess like that on their store, even if they could get the engine to function.

Terra Pax

kiwifarms.net
You got that right. I have a good feeling people troon out because they get off on mutilating themselves to pretend to be the opposite sex.
The term is autogynephilia, sexual gratification from imaging oneself as a woman. Before their annual purges, there used to be a TERF sub-reddit called "Its a fetish" that just posted caps of male troon pervs getting off on the idea of fondling their own tits.

The Penultimate Warrior

kiwifarms.net
I've had family members and friends rely a lot on the NHS and I have to say that outside of emergency situations it can be incredibly slow, the quality and speed of care you get varies a lot on what the problem is and where you live.

Getting a normal doctor's appointment was hard enough before the pandemic, for the last few years it's been almost impossible. You either get a 1 hour timeslot to try and ring, or spend 20 minutes filling out an online form so that someone might ring you back in a few weeks. Although the whole thing is so political it's like a quasi-religion that cannot be criticised, no politician has the balls to make the changes it needs, and NHS in crisis headlines are a winter tradition from left-leaning media

Getting a normal doctor's appointment was hard enough before the pandemic, for the last few years it's been almost impossible. You either get a 1 hour timeslot to try and ring, or spend 20 minutes filling out an online form so that someone might ring you back in a few weeks. Although the whole thing is so political it's like a quasi-religion that cannot be criticised, no politician has the balls to make the changes it needs, and NHS in crisis headlines are a winter tradition from left-leaning media

Yes, thank you. The NHS is the state religion of the UK; the coof cemented that fact. The slogan used to get us to agree to lockdowns and covid measures was literally "Stay At Home, Protect The NHS", as if it was our job to protect the medical system we all pay for from the virus rather, than it literally being the other way round. It used to be pretty perfect when it came to stapling you back together when you've fucked yourself up but it's been in steep decline for the last decade or so due to increased demand, budgeting issues, and function creep. It's a colossal behemoth of a mismanaged institution. It's needs auditing and splitting up or something, because it's on the way out as it is right now - but as pointed out it's an untouchable political landmine. I'm lucky because I'm pretty healthy, but I know people who aren't and they're messed around and in and out and let down constantly by the NHS. The NHS is a good idea, but it isn't currently working well enough for anyone.

Jim's in for a big fucking shock when he expects the treatment he feels like he deserves.

Kuritan Deplorable

kiwifarms.net
but it's been in steep decline for the last decade or so due to increased demand, budgeting issues, and function creep. It's a colossal behemoth of a mismanaged institution
Increased demand is a big one - All these socialized healthcare systems struggle immensely as time goes on, because the socialized aspect of them basically kills any incentive for growth an expansion - its all a captive market now, they have to come to you so there's no real drive to expand capacity. As time goes on, the triage gets tighter and tighter, and the horror stories get worse and worse. The problem gets exponential as administrative and government bloat reduces the salaries of the actual medical personal (functionally) over time, making working for the public system less and less appealing, and the doctors just leaving or never joining in the first place. I know a few years ago the UK started throwing around plans to mandate something like half a decade of working for the NHS after graduation to try and alleviate their issues, dunno if that actually came to fruition. These systems are dependent on foreign doctors who will gladly trade those years for citizenship, while domestic graduates fuck off to America where they can make top dollar in private practice.

Still haven't stitched together why he'd go back to Brexitland. Not sold on it being medical treatment, Jim is ridiculously overpaid for the work he does do, and could afford all the private dick removal he wants in murrica, and private practices can do wild shit the UK wouldn't even let fly on the pharmaceutical side. S'not like he went for the politics, with Britain seeing a conservative populist movement like the US. My only guess would be pursuing another ill-fated romance like his green card marriage.

Gloria From Pokemon Sword

If it's food, I'll make curry out of it.
kiwifarms.net
We've reached the point where the thread on Jim Sterling, a Vidya Game Commentor, is now talking about his back problems and the British Healthcare System (with respectable insight no less) because his vidya opinions are so predictable, sedated, ill-informed, and shallow. I find it comparable to how the discussion of Spoony's thread has been taken over by a social media stalker: both show how irrelevant the original topic had become.

Agarathium1066

My sense of balance is busted.
kiwifarms.net
We've reached the point where the thread on Jim Sterling, a Vidya Game Commentor, is now talking about his back problems and the British Healthcare System (with respectable insight no less) because his vidya opinions are so predictable, sedated, ill-informed, and shallow. I find it comparable to how the discussion of Spoony's thread has been taken over by a social media stalker: both show how irrelevant the original topic had become.
You hit the nail on the head that I didn't even realize was sticking out. Won't go into too much detail on Spoony but I feel equally frustrated with that. Though I'll at least say that when Jimmy does make an ass of himself he does get discussed .. it's just such a lukewarm take that there's nothing new.

frap

kiwifarms.net
Although the whole thing is so political it's like a quasi-religion that cannot be criticised, no politician has the balls to make the changes it needs, and NHS in crisis headlines are a winter tradition from left-leaning media
It's the old NHS vs American system fallacy that the public are fed, and they eat it up. Why we can't go for a middle ground like whatever it is they do in other European countries is fucking beyond me.

I've been quite lucky with the NHS so far in my life despite living in one of the worst parts of the UK for it, but I'm relatively healthy all things considered. For now.

Unpopular as this might be, I really think the NHS needs to jettison any non-essential treatment if it's to have a hope of survival. This will make me sound like a heartless bitch, but things like IVF are not a necessity and really shouldn't be taxpayer funded. I would much rather that money get diverted to funding better therapies and screening for things like cancer and other life-threatening and life-limiting conditions.

There's also the aspect of collective responsibility. The UK wants socialised medicine but not the collective responsibility of staying as healthy as possible to go with it.

(Edit to fix typo)

Last edited:

Gloria From Pokemon Sword

If it's food, I'll make curry out of it.
kiwifarms.net
You hit the nail on the head that I didn't even realize was sticking out. Won't go into too much detail on Spoony but I feel equally frustrated with that. Though I'll at least say that when Jimmy does make an ass of himself he does get discussed .. it's just such a lukewarm take that there's nothing new.
Not going to lie, in 2019 I would have guessed he sold out by becoming a food reviewer between Jimquisitions to justify his eating habits WELL before he joined the Skittle Cult.

It's the old NHS vs American system fallacy that the public are fed, and they eat it up. Why we can't go for a middle ground like whatever it is they do in other European countries is fucking beyond me.

I've been quite lucky with the NHS so far in my life despite living in one of the worst parts of the UK for it, but I'm relatively healthy all things considered. For now.

Unpopular as this might be, I really think the NHS needs to jettison any non-essential treatment if it's to have a hope of survival. This will make me sound like a heartless bitch, but things like IVF are not a necessity and really shouldn't be taxpayer funded. I would much rather that money get diverted to funding better therapies and screening for things like cancer and other life-threatening and life-limiting conditions.

There's also the aspect of collective responsibility. The UK wants socialised medicine but not the collective responsibility of staying as healthy as possible to go with it.

(Edit to fix typo)

No, definitely this. A hybrid system has to be the way forward. Keep the emergency, life-threatening stuff free at point of use and the rest will just have to be a premium. I thought of charging 20 quid for doctor's appointments. It isn't too much that you couldn't afford it even on very low income or benefits, perhaps it's still free for single mums and repeat chronic problems or whatever, and it would keep out the time-wasters and lead-swingers. It's against the law to waste police time, so perhaps a fine for wasting medical time would also be a good idea. No more going to A&E because you've got a headache etc.
I agree, it makes you sound like a fucking monster here in the UK, but something needs to be done and very soon.

The false dichotomy of either the True and Honest NHS paradise, or the everybody dies penniless in the streets hell of the American system is such a fucking meme here. Stymies any useful discussion, but then again that's probably the point.

Corn Flakes

Battle Creek's Finest
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Still haven't stitched together why he'd go back to Brexitland. Not sold on it being medical treatment, Jim is ridiculously overpaid for the work he does do, and could afford all the private dick removal he wants in murrica, and private practices can do wild shit the UK wouldn't even let fly on the pharmaceutical side. S'not like he went for the politics, with Britain seeing a conservative populist movement like the US. My only guess would be pursuing another ill-fated romance like his green card marriage.
You're probably correct in your guess. The deeper someone falls into the coom, the more impulsive they get trying to fulfill it. Likewise, trannies are known to move across the nation (or to another nation) just to be in a "trans-inclusive" environment. Read: move into a dingy-ass place with three other tranny roommates, none of which have any income outside of welfare.