JK Rowling’s latest book is about a murderous cis man who dresses as a woman to kill his victims -

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
Could someone who likes it but isn't a childlike autistic weirdo please explain to me what they like about Barry Hooter? I read first 40 pages of IIRC Goblet of Fire and have no idea why it caught on.

I am Rowling BTW. It was me all along.
I never got into Potter beyond seeing the first two movies, I owned the first book and tried to read it, I even owned a Harry Potter toy (the potion maker thingy) but growing up in a conservative Christian family, especially being given a serious talk by my aunt about how Harry Potter is a gateway into the occult, just tainted the whole thing for me and I was never able to fully get into it, only dip my toe in it.

I regret that now because it's one of the main pop culture milestones of my generation, it also makes me nostalgic for my local Waldenbooks and the old library, it makes me think of books in general from my youth.

But of course people weren't wrong in calling it a gateway into the occult, look at how many millennial women are into witchcraft.

On a side note I have been to Harry Potter World in Florida and that was really cool.

Remember when the religious right was burning Harry Potter books? The modern left really are like church ladies.
View attachment 1601123
What's funny about this is it proves that this is just a female thing, generation to generation there always a group of women that are just control freaks, they just have different pretenses, whether it's conservative Christianity in the past or Marxist politics today.

Calling Psycho transphobic makes way less sense to me than the Buffalo Bill thing. At least Buffalo Bill pretended he was trans, even if the movie/book both make a point to say he wasn't. Norman Bates had a split personality to repress his guilt at murdering his mother, nothing about muh genders is ever mentioned or even hinted at, that just isn't a factor in the story.
Yes, Norman Bates simply had a split personality, it wasn't really anything to do with trans, although the movie was still playing off the idea of the sight of a man in a dress being freaky.

AnOminous

So what?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I regret that my fond memories of the early Potter books have at this point been pretty much buried by their transformation into an all-encompassing corporate franchise and consumerist pseudo-religion.
Those cultists are so insufferable that it's hilarious seeing them completely losing their shit because the author dared to have an opinion not fed to her by SJW scum.

Dysnomia

Blood on the rise, it's following me
kiwifarms.net
They're mad because they know troons are mentally ill and JK Rowling is pointing that out in a hyperbolic way. Troons also got pissed at Buffalo Bill from Silence of The Lambs was a troon. JK Rowling and her critics both know what they're talking about. This was JK Rowling clapping back and it's awesome.
I recall that the troon in Dressed To Kill was denied an ok for surgery because his psychiatrist didn't believe he was really dysphoric. Same issue with Buffalo Bill. This was back when doctors tried to be sane about these things and there was no informed consent dick chop. So I guess if we didn't have informed consent these lovely "ladies" would be out hacking up the female population. :lit:

Brittnay Matthews

Mercenary Cheerleader
kiwifarms.net
It's fascinating how twitter was celebrating Rowling's funeral like two days ago, now everyone is telling SJW to shut the fuck up because no one's gonna let trans feefees get in the way of their fun time.

In defense of King's rambling IT, he has proven himself capable of being concise. 1408(the haunted hotel room that got a movie 10 years ago) is roughly 24 pages, and he's written many anthologies of short stories.

Shogun was another big brick of a book as well.
You can't compare King's books to Rowling's, it's true she managed to create a fascinating world but unlike king, she's mediocre at every other aspect of writing it's frustrating sometimes.

Parthenos

Why hast thou let me see this, Lucifer?
kiwifarms.net
Could someone who likes it but isn't a childlike autistic weirdo please explain to me what they like about Barry Hooter? I read first 40 pages of IIRC Goblet of Fire and have no idea why it caught on.

I am Rowling BTW. It was me all along.
Goblet of Fire's not one of the better books but I can give you my reasoning if you'd like.

I'd say I have a fairly atypical background with Harry Potter. Though I was huge into reading growing up, I actually was pretty late to that whole ordeal. The reason was that even though my parents didn't think the books were "satanic" and evil, I think that they recognized there were scary parts in there and so they didn't let me read them when I was really little. As a result I read all the Harry Potter books in the same summer, right before the 7th book came out in fact (mom and dad basically said, "the last one's coming out so you go get brought up to speed before the last one hits.")

My memories of reading them over the summer were pretty fond; it was the first time I'd ever stayed up past midnight reading and I could usually put one of them away in 1 night or maybe 2. At that age I had actually read through stuff like LOTR and so on, but what I think I (and a lot of readers) noticed was that those books were very comfortable to read. The language used to describe scenes and characters was also the right balance of evocative - it wasn't dense enough that it got in the way of the story, but not simplistic enough to be insulting to the YA set. Same with the plot, as well. There weren't very many (if any) loose ends and plot snarls didn't ever get overly large (though the last few books pushed it a bit starting with book 4), and the overall tone of the series was very warm and optimistic, even in its darker moments. The healthy helping of Britishness was pretty endearing too.

In the end, though? It wasn't something that ever stuck around with me all that much, probably because it began and ended for me in a pretty short time. I still think they're decent fantasy stories, but in terms of the worldbuilding it's not particularly deep (or cohesive, really) and in terms of storytelling themes it's not particularly unique. It's not something I personally feel the need to revisit since there isn't really much beyond the first read.

I wouldn't say that the fandom has retroactively poisoned the books, but I'm kind of relieved that I didn't get into it to the point where all the recent kerfuffle over the past few years affects me all that much. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the Love Never Dies of the series and nobody can make me budge on that.

Last edited:

alreadyhome

kiwifarms.net
It's fascinating how twitter was celebrating Rowling's funeral like two days ago, now everyone is telling SJW to shut the fuck up because no one's gonna let trans feefees get in the way of their fun time.

You can't compare King's books to Rowling's, it's true she managed to create a fascinating world but unlike king, she's mediocre at every other aspect of writing it's frustrating sometimes.
Stephen King is mediocre as well. He wrote the introduction for a version of Frankenstein I read once, and all he could do was keep insulting Shelley as a writer, even though she was 19 or something when she wrote it, and it's a thousand times better than anything he's ever written in his life.

Brittnay Matthews

Mercenary Cheerleader
kiwifarms.net
Stephen King is mediocre as well. He wrote the introduction for a version of Frankenstein I read once, and all he could do was keep insulting Shelley as a writer, even though she was 19 or something when she wrote it, and it's a thousand times better than anything he's ever written in his life.
I personally love how his characters have so much depth it gets fucking creepy how well written they are because I can't help but think they're real people. even in IT his description of the events, the town and its history was detailed and vivid, I don't expect all of his books to be good but damn he can write a horror scene that makes my heart race.
on the other hand Rowling never gave a decent description of the castle at any point and it's only thanks to the movies that I could imagine the setting to keep myself interested.

alreadyhome

kiwifarms.net
I personally love how his characters have so much depth it gets fucking creepy how well written they are because I can't help but think they're real people. even in IT his description of the events, the town and its history was detailed and vivid, I don't expect all of his books to be good but damn he can write a horror scene that makes my heart race.
on the other hand Rowling never gave a decent description of the castle at any point and it's only thanks to the movies that I could imagine the setting to keep myself interested.
You're right, he's way better with character depth.

• Agree
Reactions: Spastic Colon

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
In defense of King's rambling IT, he has proven himself capable of being concise. 1408(the haunted hotel room that got a movie 10 years ago) is roughly 24 pages, and he's written many anthologies of short stories.

Shogun was another big brick of a book as well.
The original 1408 short story is awesome and yeah, gets the job done quickly.

• Agree
Reactions: Haramburger

AnOminous

So what?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Twitter vastly overestimates its power. In actuality Twitter can't do jack shit to anyone who just tells them to fuck off.

AnimeGirlConnoisseur

kiwifarms.net
I like King and I've never heard of this intro you're talking about, but that sounds rather scummy, especially when I remember that I've read all of his most of his earlier stuff (which he wrote in his late teens and early twenties) and how some of it, such as some of the Richard Bachman books, don't really hold up (at least in my opinion).

Reactions: Spastic Colon

jellycar

Bonjour, je suis Jelly Duvall
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I recall that the troon in Dressed To Kill was denied an ok for surgery because his psychiatrist didn't believe he was really dysphoric. Same issue with Buffalo Bill. This was back when doctors tried to be sane about these things and there was no informed consent dick chop. So I guess if we didn't have informed consent these lovely "ladies" would be out hacking up the female population. :lit:
DtK >>> SotL fight me lol
Yeah unfortunately the character motivation hasn't aged well but otherwise the film is iconic (Angie Dickinson said its her favorite role she's done) and not only does it borrow multiple elements from Psycho, I'd argue that it is even better especially the elevator and museum scenes. Also the gore is more believable than say, Suspiria. Nancy Allen gets a lot of hate but she's honestly great in the part. And here's an added note of irony....Dickinson's son in the film looks exactly like a young Harry Potter.

Tags
None