Joaquin Phoenix as the Joker - Might not be a disaster

What will the combined score of shootings blamed on "Joker" be after opening weekend?

Votes: 13 11.7%
  • 1-10

Votes: 23 20.7%
  • 11-20

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • 21-39

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • 40+

Votes: 67 60.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tasty Tatty

kiwifarms.net
They seriously want to ban Joker from the Oscars because the media stirred up a bunch of shit about it? Isn't theatre literally about being provocative, controversial, and critical of the human condition?
Only when it's about Trump.

They could have a movie portraying two hours of just a black lesbian pissing herself while stabbing a baby and screaming "FUCK TRUMP! FUCK TRUMP!" and they'd brand it the best movie of the century and give it all the awards.

frozenrunner

I could really use the salt
kiwifarms.net
If she was a little older, I would suggest Dakota Fanning. I guess I should see how she did in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.
She was awesome.

Had a day to think over what I thought. I liked it. First 2 thirds of the movie were a bit slow but the final act really picked up and made it all worth it. 7.5/10. Taxi Driver is still better.
Do you think anyone needed to be told that? :story:

I welcome any behavior that makes the Oscars even less relevant.

(Not that capeshit, generally, should ever be getting Oscars. But that's because most of it is dumb entertainment.)

Your Weird Fetish

Intersectional fetishist
kiwifarms.net
Evil rarely ever stares you down in the face. Not to mention that evil is a reflection of good and hard to tell apart. Janus, Ying-Yang and other theological questions have always dealt with this.

The best villains are villains that would be heroes or are nearly indistinguishable from them. Because that's what evil IS. People laugh at Dick Cheney and call him evil, but he's a man who loves his children, his family. Its incredibly complicated and everyone wants evil to be boiled down to some sneering dude twisting his mustaches. Why do you think they use the much copied 'Trump is Voldermort'? Because they cannot truly understand the depths of what evil actually is. The man, for all accounts, loves and cares for his family. Has many friends. The problem is his political views don't align with your own.

Once you begin talking about the 'greater good', you've lost sight of it. Because if you believe in the greater good, you are disregarding other people for a goal you see as good. You are purposefully ignoring their pain, their families, their problems, in order to solve something bigger. You've become a callous individual and are hoping that the change you make overwrites the sins you are going to commit in furtherance of that goal. I'll tell you right now, it never does. Because once you bloody your hands, that never comes off. And you have to continue to sin, continue to use people. Continue to hurt them, for your goal. And eventually, you don't see other people as people. You see them obstacles to your goal. There's no way you can see yourself objectively anymore.

These people can't take a step back and watch themselves. They believe because they believe in 'righteous' causes, their actions by default cannot be evil. Because evil is always obvious, right? And its not speech. Its actions. Its brigading some guy on Twitter because he made a joke you didn't like, trying to make him lose his job. Its making allegations decades after the fact because you convinced yourself they were true. Its throwing molotov cocktails, destroying property. Its hurting people in the name of your message, because your message is just, and these are all pawns. They don't have emotions. Cares. Feelings. Families. People they love. Dreams. They're nothing. They're alt-right. They're incels. Fuck them. They don't deserve it. We are the right ones.

Once you begin to dehumanize people, view them as objects, demons, devils or not even as people anymore, you are stepping down a road you will never be able to come back from.
"Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling. Makes no difference."
-Geraldo of Riviera

Everyone always takes the exact opposite moral from that than what was intended in context. In the short story that quote is from he's completely damned for not choosing a lesser evil and it was objectively a bad idea to not choose, since it just ended with no one getting what they wanted.

• Optimistic
Reactions: BrunoMattei

trekkor

never talk to me or the pinkskin's dog ever again
kiwifarms.net
I stumbled upon Metacritic and it was nice to see both this site and Rotten Tomatoes have a similar critics/audience score disparity
Capture.JPG
yeah, fuck giving an Oscar for a movie that actually has something to say about mental health, how people treat each other (not related to race or sexuality!), has some amazing acting and is slyly critical of media's role in stirring up shit between people. If it's not safe oscarbait then they really don't care.
But honestly, aside from the Oscars becoming more and more shit as the years go by (yeah, yeah, I know they've always been kinda shitty, but I don't think it was ever this bad), there's still a part of me that wants Joaquin to get that Oscar. He deserves it so much, I cannot stop thinking about the role (saw it again today actually and a second viewing really helped see how sad the character was) and reading online, it touched a lot of people, especially those who shared some of those mental issues Arthur had.
That happened to me with Suicide Squad. I never figured out why people were hating it so much. I just watched it and... I enjoyed it. I honestly think that, as flawed as it is (bc it is), most of the hate for it (and Man of Stell) comes from people being told they should hate it.
I never saw Suicide Squad, but I did see ~five minutes of it when someone was streaming it online. It was the Harely/Joker scenes (which was great, I think they're the most interesting relationship in Batman's universe) but man, the editing felt like it was trying to make me have a stroke. It was all over the place and never gave up, it made me a bit sick and I had to close the link. I can't comment on the movie ofc and maybe the hate is overrated, I can't say, but it certainly didn't leave a good first impression.

Leonard Helplessness

kiwifarms.net
I never saw Suicide Squad, but I did see ~five minutes of it when someone was streaming it online. It was the Harely/Joker scenes (which was great, I think they're the most interesting relationship in Batman's universe) but man, the editing felt like it was trying to make me have a stroke. It was all over the place and never gave up, it made me a bit sick and I had to close the link. I can't comment on the movie ofc and maybe the hate is overrated, I can't say, but it certainly didn't leave a good first impression.
Imagine reading Kiwi Farms but Harley Quinn makes a shitty quip at the end of every post.

averagejane

please pluck your nose hairs.
kiwifarms.net
That happened to me with Suicide Squad. I never figured out why people were hating it so much. I just watched it and... I enjoyed it. I honestly think that, as flawed as it is (bc it is), most of the hate for it (and Man of Stell) comes from people being told they should hate it.
i feel the same more or less. although with suicide i thought it was pretty stupid but I still found fun and entertainment in it. man of steel I actually genuinely enjoyed it, and I think that was the first time I learned to accept that what other people say should not influence my own enjoyment of a movie. I still watch youtube reviewers but more so to listen to different takes on stuff because half of the fun in movies is the opposite opinions, actually.
On a similar tangent, they're trying really hard to smear joker and it's just not working. Even when I look up the tags on tumblr, people are talking about how good the movie is. If I find any hilarious complaints, I'll be sure to post them here.

Reactions: trekkor

CWCissey

Charming Man
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Just saw it tonight, you guys weren't lying, this film is fucking amazing.

The violence wasn't as bad as expected, except for one scene, but I still question the BBFC for giving Joker a 15. The guy next to me even said 'How the fuck was that a 15?' to me after the movie ended.

Joaquin gets Best Actor or we storm the Academy wearing clown masks yeah?

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The viewership of the Oscars is in a slow but steady decline. The general public rarely puts any stock in them and they've fucked up FAR more than they've gotten it right.

Many classic and beloved films haven't won Oscar's while many Oscar winners are forgotten.

Also the Oscars are bullshit because you basically have to suck the academy's asshole and advertise massively. It's also the worst kept secret in Hollywood that the Academy does NOT watch all the films they are judging and basically go on popularity or the adverts and campaigns of the movies.

The Oscar has not been a mark of quality for a long time. It exists for 2 reasons: inflate Hollywood's ego in a self masturbatory fashion and as marketing material.

Oscars are irrelevant and should be treated as such

Duncan Hills Coffee

Awakes you from a thousand deaths
kiwifarms.net
Many classic and beloved films haven't won Oscar's while many Oscar winners are forgotten.
My favorite example when discussing this is that Citizen Kane, widely regarded as one of the best movies ever made, didn't even win Best Picture. What did win Best Picture was How Green Was My Valley, a movie you aren't going to find much, if any discussion about other than it beating Citizen Kane.

There was also when Saving Private Ryan lost Best Picture to Shakespeare in Love. And the 2004 Crash winning despite everyone agreeing that it was Oscar Bait in its purest form.

It's also the worst kept secret in Hollywood that the Academy does NOT watch all the films they are judging and basically go on popularity or the adverts and campaigns of the movies.
This is especially awful with animated movies. There have been some gorgeous and ambitious animated movies made in the past few years but they consistently lose to mediocre Disney movies. It's revolting.

CWCissey

Charming Man
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There have been some gorgeous and ambitious animated movies made in the past few years but they consistently lose to mediocre Disney movies
Kubo And The Two Strings.

I'm also still pissed about Meryl Streep getting Best Actress For The Iron Lady rather than Rooney Mara for Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino