Joaquin Phoenix as the Joker - Might not be a disaster

What will the combined score of shootings blamed on "Joker" be after opening weekend?

Votes: 13 11.7%
  • 1-10

Votes: 23 20.7%
  • 11-20

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • 21-39

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • 40+

Votes: 67 60.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

A Welsh Cake

Not A big fat panda. THE big fat panda.
kiwifarms.net
I just can't get the tommy wiseau clip out of my head so I'm not watching this movie until I stop laughing at it.

• Feels
Reactions: Jamila

Tookie

Mountain of Molten Lust
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I never saw Suicide Squad, but I did see ~five minutes of it when someone was streaming it online. It was the Harely/Joker scenes (which was great, I think they're the most interesting relationship in Batman's universe) but man, the editing felt like it was trying to make me have a stroke. It was all over the place and never gave up, it made me a bit sick and I had to close the link. I can't comment on the movie ofc and maybe the hate is overrated, I can't say, but it certainly didn't leave a good first impression.
Suicide Squad reminded me of watching a 2 1/2 hour trailer.

Your Weird Fetish

Intersectional fetishist
kiwifarms.net
I saw Suicide Squad while stuck at a hotel. It's actually a very good movie to half-watch while reading shitposts on a laptop at a hotel. Don't get the hate. It's just crappy fast food. Who expected anything deep? Or even very good?

AnOminous

I'm not mad at anyone, honest.
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
My favorite example when discussing this is that Citizen Kane, widely regarded as one of the best movies ever made, didn't even win Best Picture. What did win Best Picture was How Green Was My Valley, a movie you aren't going to find much, if any discussion about other than it beating Citizen Kane.
And nearly every oscar Martin Scorsese ever lost, the most famous being Goodfellas somehow losing to Dances With White Saviors.

Feline Supremacist

I am a Dog-Exclusionary Radical Felinist
kiwifarms.net
Joaquin Phoenix gave the best performance of the decade, turning what could have been a mediocre capeshit flick into a stand-alone masterpiece (indeed you can make a serious claim the film defines the decade) and this is how they respond? Do any of them recall the controversy Taxi Driver caused upon release, which is now considered one of the best American films ever made?

Kyria the Great

kiwifarms.net
I don't think movies made just to piss a specific subset of people off tend to be very good.
Spite isn't a good ingredient for good film-making. Passion and love are needed as I feel they are one of the most important ingredients for a good film and something like Joker shows the love and passion Todd Phillips has for film and that though he won't do comedies, if this the direction he is going, I have high hopes.

Coolio55

DON'T CALL LUIGI AT 3AM!! *OMG HE RICKROLLED ME*
kiwifarms.net
The violence wasn't as bad as expected, except for one scene, but I still question the BBFC for giving Joker a 15. The guy next to me even said 'How the fuck was that a 15?' to me after the movie ended.
When I saw the rating I was a little disappointed and was expecting a letdown on the whole "R Rated Joker" concept.
Turns out I was completely wrong (Not that I'm complaining).
The BBFC has always been oversensitive to these sorts of things so I'm surprised that they let the violence go (Despite them viewing violence far more harshly than sexual content) and while the movie was great I think 18 IS actually too high a rating. The violence was done pretty tastefully all things considered.

Kyria the Great

kiwifarms.net
When I saw the rating I was a little disappointed and was expecting a letdown on the whole "R Rated Joker" concept.
Turns out I was completely wrong (Not that I'm complaining).
The BBFC has always been oversensitive to these sorts of things so I'm surprised that they let the violence go (Despite them viewing violence far more harshly than sexual content) and while the movie was great I think 18 IS actually too high a rating. The violence was done pretty tastefully all things considered.
Well still,the film had foul language and it really works for the film and the violence is exactly how it should be, rather sudden, brutal, and impactful as violence in media is rather trivialized.

Reactions: Nykysnottrans

Gordon Cole

Yep, he's dead
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My favorite example when discussing this is that Citizen Kane, widely regarded as one of the best movies ever made, didn't even win Best Picture. What did win Best Picture was How Green Was My Valley, a movie you aren't going to find much, if any discussion about other than it beating Citizen Kane.

There was also when Saving Private Ryan lost Best Picture to Shakespeare in Love. And the 2004 Crash winning despite everyone agreeing that it was Oscar Bait in its purest form.
IIRC, the Academy Award voting system is extremely asinine. Instead of simply choosing a best performance/nominee/what have you, you're ranking them from your top choice to the bottom, with different point levels depending on the position. (#1 gets five points, #5 gets one, etc.)

For example Green Book won because while it had the most consistently middle-of-the-road positions, all the other nominees were wildly split between top and bottom positions, consequently handing GB the win, among many other questionable BP decisions.

Vecr

"nanoposts with 90° spatial rotational symmetries"
kiwifarms.net
IIRC, the Academy Award voting system is extremely asinine. Instead of simply choosing a best performance/nominee/what have you, you're ranking them from your top choice to the bottom, with different point levels depending on the position. (#1 gets five points, #5 gets one, etc.)

For example Green Book won because while it had the most consistently middle-of-the-road positions, all the other nominees were wildly split between top and bottom positions, consequently handing GB the win, among many other questionable BP decisions.
Well, that sounds like a good voting system for selecting something uncontroversial, that most people are at least okay with.

SteelPlatedHeart

Politics are fucking dumb
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Spite isn't a good ingredient for good film-making. Passion and love are needed as I feel they are one of the most important ingredients for a good film and something like Joker shows the love and passion Todd Phillips has for film and that though he won't do comedies, if this the direction he is going, I have high hopes.
Spite typically isn’t a good thing for creating in general. At least not on its own.

Hallstein995

kiwifarms.net

Safir

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Nope. Best Picture uses instant runoff preference voting, which is good. They rank the movies, but they don't award points:
initially, the top votes are considered,
if a movie gets 50%+ votes, it wins;
if not, the worst-performing movie is knocked off the list,
whoever picked the worst performer's votes get reassigned to their second choice,
etc

So if there are 100 members,
movie A got 51 first place votes and 49 last place votes ("divisive"),
and movie B got 49 first place votes and 51 second place votes ("universally appealing"),
movie A wins.

The problem is the people who vote for shitty movies, not the voting system.

RumblyTumbly

kiwifarms.net
I don't need the Oscars to validate what I liked.

According to them, Dances With Wolves is better than Goodfellas, Forest Gump is better than Pulp Fiction, Shawshank, and The Lion King, and Slumdog Millionaire is better than The Dark Knight, Wall-E, and Gran Torino. Also because of them, Sean Penn is walking around with two Oscars that should probably belong to Bill Murray and Mickey Rourke respectively.

But hey, what do I know?

The handsome tard

We will wake up The Warrior!!
kiwifarms.net
SJWs: Do not give any money!

*Box office hit*

SJWs: It seems that they got their ill gotten money but I say, screw them!....IN THE EAAAAAAAR!!!

Edit: The oscars are a fucking joke so I actually doubt that Phoenix is getting one...probably gonna go for Brie Larson or some woke but awful actor. Phoenix is a winner to us.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino