[CENSORED] JonTron removed from Yooka-Laylee -

projecteddrama

kiwifarms.net
If you have a rock solid game foundation, it will appeal to all ages, and that's what Banjo Kazooie has going for it (Jon goes in exhaustive detail in his 'Nuts and Bolts' review about why that game shits on what made the original so great).

Alternatively, Rareware also basically developed a game nigh-identical to Banjo-Kazooie except it was based on a Nintendo IP. Donkey Kong 64 is also very much a 'collect everything' kind of game but it made you work your ass off for every last one - most of the true game challenge is in the psuedo-puzzles and minigames to get these things.

Or, to provide a completely different example, the kirby games. In Crystal Shards, Stage 5-4 is a bright and happy mall type place. Stage 5-5 is a dark and depressing factory with one of the most iconic themes in the franchise (Factory Inspection) and the setting for Stage 5; Shiver Star, is widely believed to be post-nuclear apocalypse Earth. The most recent one; Planet Robobot, is fairly standard campaign for kids stuff with gratuitous extra lives. But if you go deeper, the story is shockingly dark (the guy you think is the main bad guy is actually an innocent, mentally broken man tricked by a supercomputer into giving it sentience, whereupon it casually states its intentions to literally kill everything that ever lived - and that's before you even see its true form as a reality bending mechanical star-comet that makes creepy cat noises) and the challenge modes feature far harder bosses intended for longtime Kirby fans (because no kid is going to know the Dark Matter Clone boss is from Dreamland 2, the first time he's shown up in that form in over 20 years). But, you know, the bright colors and friendly shapes everywhere totally don't give any hints to just how horrifying or mature oriented the game's entire foundation is. Even with 'Factory Inspection' being reused wholesale as 'Power Plant Inspection' - kids totally love soundtracks that sound like a perpetual train crash into a piano factory.
Banjo Kazooie/Tooie are two of my favorite games, hence why I want to play Yooka Laylee. This drama aside, it looks like it will be good

Dysnomia

Povertish
kiwifarms.net
Hey, that's cool, but I'm more upset with how shitty they've been toward people requesting their money back.

Also a note on that last image, perhaps they don't have to. But if they do not refund the money from people upset by the decision they made, then they are phonies for faking being concerned with profiting from a 'bigots' dollar. Ethically, it goes against the consumer's right to deny them this option and makes them look fairly shady.

Plus, they can just charge back if they wanted too. A bank will side with the customer.
I still can't get over how smug Jonny Dangerhair looks in that pic.

They should have refunded everybody. Even if it was just to make Playtonic look good from a consumer standpoint. They really made a mess of this. Everyone who wants a refund should do a charge back then. Honestly, I hope the game sells poorly because of what happened. I was kind of interested n it. But I don't want to support a company that's trading consumer satisfaction for short term SJW brownie points that will inevitably blow up in their faces one day.

Optimus Prime

Resident KF Transformers Expert
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 198140

Like I'm not trying to joke you dude, but it's a Kirby game, it still looks pretty bright and colorful, the enemies don't help
Yeah but you gotta include the soundtrack - bright and colorful can go right back around to being pretty disturbing if it's overwhelming I.E. We Happy Few. The BG tune 'Factory Inspection' is famous because of how jarring a tonal shift it is to what you expect of a Kirby game and after Stages 5-1 through 5-4 which were all bright and happy tunes with very little in the way of drab and dirt. Stage 5-5 even starts off with I believe the theme from 5-3, but once you get past the first screen and drop down the manhole, THIS kicks in:

Stage 5-6, the boss fight, doesn't improve things because there you fight a transforming robot in a vast underground city that has clearly been abandoned for ages.

They should have refunded everybody. Even if it was just to make Playtonic look good from a consumer standpoint. They really made a mess of this. Everyone who wants a refund should do a charge back then. Honestly, I hope the game sells poorly because of what happened. I was kind of interested n it. But I don't want to support a company that's trading consumer satisfaction for short term SJW brownie points that will inevitably blow up in their faces one day.
Playtonic doesn't seem to be at fault, though, given all the SJW bullshit appears to be the doing of Team 17 who I guess is the distributor.

projecteddrama

kiwifarms.net
Yeah but you gotta include the soundtrack - bright and colorful can go right back around to being pretty disturbing if it's overwhelming I.E. We Happy Few. The BG tune 'Factory Inspection' is famous because of how jarring a tonal shift it is to what you expect of a Kirby game and after Stages 5-1 through 5-4 which were all bright and happy tunes with very little in the way of drab and dirt. Stage 5-5 even starts off with I believe the theme from 5-3, but once you get past the first screen and drop down the manhole, THIS kicks in:

Stage 5-6, the boss fight, doesn't improve things because there you fight a transforming robot in a vast underground city that has clearly been abandoned for ages.

Playtonic doesn't seem to be at fault, though, given all the SJW bullshit appears to be the doing of Team 17 who I guess is the distributor.
I like Kirby 64's soundtrack, I admit. It's a lot of fun.

And this drama is honestly pretty exceptional. It doesn't make Playtonic look that bad (it's the distributor acting like tards, not Playtonic), and JonTron himself isn't holding a hissy fit over this, which shows he doesn't give a fuck. And butthurt alt-righters are trying to exaggerate this and say the game "sucks" without playing it and looking really silly.

Last edited:

X-Shaped Weeaboo

Not another anime avatar!
kiwifarms.net
Yeah but you gotta include the soundtrack - bright and colorful can go right back around to being pretty disturbing if it's overwhelming I.E. We Happy Few. The BG tune 'Factory Inspection' is famous because of how jarring a tonal shift it is to what you expect of a Kirby game and after Stages 5-1 through 5-4 which were all bright and happy tunes with very little in the way of drab and dirt. Stage 5-5 even starts off with I believe the theme from 5-3, but once you get past the first screen and drop down the manhole, THIS kicks in
Seconded. One of my favorite things about disturbing/horror themes are how they often warp the perception a child would have and take it to a dark extreme.

Similarly, in Pokémon Black and White and it's sequel, you get to explore the villainous team's castle and see just how dystopian they ran things. Then you go into N's room. (One of the main characters and a child raised by the villain to be heavily idealistic.) His room is that of any child's, colorful and filled with toys, but the music sets the tone as something to be disturbed by. And it is a bit disturbing. It subtly shows just how sheltered this kid was. He grew up happy and normal, but secretly surrounded by corruption and tyranny. In the second game it's even worse; You can return to the room and it's torn up. It implies that someone deliberately went in there in a rage and destroyed his room, in essence destroying the childhood innocence that N had which he also symbolically does at the end of the first Black and White game.

Now I'm far from being the one to argue that kids games are intentionally dark and secret artistic masterpieces, but it'd be dishonest to not admit when developers try and do a little more with their craft and challenge their intended audience's perception of reality. Old animated films from the 80's and 90's were great at that, I don't see why the same can't be done for gaming.

And this drama is honestly pretty exceptional. It doesn't honestly make Playtonic look that bad, and JonTron himself isn't holding a hissy fit over this.
The aggravating thing about this is that Playtonic caved to the media's slander. It didn't matter if Jon was actually a racist or not; Playtonic bailed because they didn't want to take the chance. It wouldn't have hurt their image to associate with JonTron, but they didn't want to be associated with someone they thought was not one of them. It's asinine; the statement they released clearly shows contempt for what Jon says as if the extremes he was painted in were absolute. Same thing with Disney; They didn't care if PewDiePie was actually a Nazi. They just didn't want to bother. And who's gonna fucking hurt Disney's image? Like, c'mon.

projecteddrama

kiwifarms.net
The aggravating thing about this is that Playtonic caved to the media's slander. It didn't matter if Jon was actually a racist or not; Playtonic bailed because they didn't want to take the chance. It wouldn't have hurt their image to associate with JonTron, but they didn't want to be associated with someone they thought was not one of them. It's asinine; the statement they released clearly shows contempt for what Jon says as if the extremes he was painted in were absolute. Same thing with Disney; They didn't care if PewDiePie was actually a Nazi. They just didn't want to bother. And who's gonna fucking hurt Disney's image? Like, c'mon.
It makes total sense though. They're making a game for "general audiences" (i.e. kids and adults who remember playing their games as kids) and being associated with a guy who says controversial shit wouldn't help. I don't agree with what JonTron said at all, but I wouldn't have removed him, but then again, I'm not marketing the game. I can see why they don't want their product they're trying to sell to as many people as possible to be associated with someone that many regard as cancer now. And in the end, I don't personally care as I don't like JonTron and am totally indifferent to the random sound effects he'd add to the game

X-Shaped Weeaboo

kiwifarms.net
It makes total sense though. They're making a game for "general audiences" (i.e. kids and adults who remember playing their games as kids) and being associated with a guy who says controversial shit wouldn't help. I don't agree with what JonTron said at all, but I wouldn't have removed him, but then again, I'm not marketing the game. I can see why they don't want their product they're trying to sell to as many people as possible to not be associated with someone that many regard as cancer now.
"General Audiences" don't know what a "Destiny" is. Hell, it's debatable that even normal people would know who JonTron is. 3 Mil subscribers is a lot, sure, but there's a billion people on the planet and some of them are completely inept at anything involving the internet. Plus, Jon focuses on gaming. Content focusing on video games is still generally niche to normies. Only people that would have even heard about this debate are gamers, and most gamers have already proven they don't care about Jon's statements and the one's that did care already had a bone to pick with him anyways.

Point is, very few people were likely to even know about this debate, let alone Jon's statements, even with the media propagating their slander. This absolutely would have done nothing to harm Yooka-Laylee's release, yet Play-tonic did it anyways.

projecteddrama

kiwifarms.net
"General Audiences" don't know what a "Destiny" is. Hell, it's debatable that even normal people would know who JonTron is. 3 Mil subscribers is a lot, sure, but there's a billion people on the planet and some of them are completely inept at anything involving the internet. Plus, Jon focuses on gaming. Content focusing on video games is still generally niche to normies. Only people that would have even heard about this debate are gamers, and most gamers have already proven they don't care about Jon's statements and the one's that did care already had a bone to pick with him anyways.

Point is, very few people were likely to even know about this debate, let alone Jon's statements, even with the media propagating their slander. This absolutely would have done nothing to harm Yooka-Laylee's release, yet Play-tonic did it anyways.
You can make a rational case that it wouldn't affect sales, but that's irrelevant. It was the potential of being associated with someone who's on a lot of media outlets shitlist now, which is potentially bad for business. No amount of forum posts is going to change the fact that JonTron is not someone many businesses would be wise to associate with now. And again, I'm indifferent either way, as JonTron is an unfunny dweeb who was going to add nothing to this game anyway

Also, doesn't JonTron focus on ranting about politics on twitter now? I don't think he makes much videos anymore

X-Shaped Weeaboo

kiwifarms.net
Also, doesn't JonTron focus on ranting about politics on twitter now? I don't think he makes much videos anymore
Jon has done very little political ranting. You could check his twitter and see that it's a very small portion of what he posts. Perhaps because you haven't looked into any of this more than just the media posts, but that's just the truth. He was most active in politics when he debated Destiny, and Destiny and his fans continued to provoke him to responding on twitter.

Look, your indifference to JonTron is better than hating him for being a Nazi, but it doesn't excuse lucid guessing. If associating with Jon is bad press simply for the sake of simple rumors and slander that people have proven false and spoken up about, it says more about how much pull the media has, how much the people hate them, and how willing Play-Tonic was to axe him despite the push-back against the media for it's statements on Jon. This is totally on them as they continue to propagate the hate machine that is modern day journalism.

projecteddrama

kiwifarms.net
Jon has done very little political ranting. You could check his twitter and see that it's a very small portion of what he posts. Perhaps because you haven't looked into any of this more than just the media posts, but that's just the truth. He was most active in politics when he debated Destiny, and Destiny and his fans continued to provoke him to responding on twitter.

Look, your indifference to JonTron is better than hating him for being a Nazi, but it doesn't excuse lucid guessing. If associating with Jon is bad press simply for the sake of simple rumors and slander that people have proven false and spoken up about, it says more about how much pull the media has, how much the people hate them, and how willing Play-Tonic was to axe him despite the push-back against the media for it's statements on Jon. This is totally on them as they continue to propagate the hate machine that is modern day journalism.

I don't read his stuff but just parusing Encyclopedia Dramatica (not the most objective source, I know) and youtube videos about him, he seems to do it a lot. I mean, I figure this is how he's gotten into all this controversy.

I don't know about "slander", he gave reprehensible opinions and views that were very ignorant as well and that's what people have run with. I don't care since I don't watch the guy and it's not a surprise a neckbeard youtuber who hangs out with SargonofAkkad would say such shit, but in our overly sensitive culture where everyone overreacts to everything, I don't think it's slander so much as people don't like his opinions, find them reprehensible, and then exaggerate by saying he's essentially Adolf Hitler.

And again, who cares if they axed some sound effects that will change literally nothing, which JonTron himself doesn't care about

Last edited:

Somsnosa

Look at me! I'm the pope now
kiwifarms.net
It's just a mediocre game with bad PRs who can't do their job.
If you mistreat and scam your audience you won't survive long, look at the No man's sky team or Phil Fish
Also you REALLY underestimate how autistic Sargon is. He's the kind of guy who thinks to be smarter than everyone else because he's atheist. The most annoying type of neckbeard to have around

Male Idiot

Loli Hitler
kiwifarms.net
It's just a mediocre game with bad PRs who can't do their job.
If you mistreat and scam your audience you won't survive long, look at the No man's sky team or Phil Fish
Also you REALLY underestimate how autistic Sargon is. He's the kind of guy who thinks to be smarter than everyone else because he's atheist. The most annoying type of neckbeard to have around
To be the most annoying type of neckbeard the neckbeard has to be a brony too. Is he?

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino