• "Hand given"

JonTron Saltfeat. the growing Yooka-Laylee shitstorm (Mighty No. 9 2.0)

Discussion in 'Salt Mine' started by TheImportantFart, Feb 11, 2017.

Forum Guidelines

This is a schadenfreude board for the reaction to events. Threads should be about something that happens and the most humorous and over-the-top responses to immediately follow. Threads are automatically locked after two weeks.

• Report threads which have ran out of content so that they may be locked until new content emerges.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've only just realised you were referring to hbomberguy here. I thought you were referring to Matt Myers. hbomberguy's been brought up a few times in the Let's Players originating from Something Awful thread. I myself wrote a bit of a polemic on him there. I don't think he's done enough yet to classify as a lolcow, but give him some time and that could well be the case.

• Agree Agree x 6
    TheImportantFart

TheImportantFart Superior Farture

kiwifarms.net
  2. I used to watch this guy and I've noticed that over time he's really become smugger and less entertaining, as well as less rational.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Feline Darkmage

Feline Darkmage Burger-Eating Janitor Cat
    Staff Member Moderator True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  3. He's never really been that rational. He puts up a good front, but the mask slips constantly and if you go to his Twitter, it's all bog-standard SocJus rhetoric. He got lucky with that Sargon video because he noticed a genuine fuck-up Sargon made, but his Aurini videos, while good, didn't say anything countless others have said (including GamerGate supporters). Hell, Thunderf00t's video on Aurini is better than hbomberguy's.

TheImportantFart

kiwifarms.net
  4. I'm saying it's gotten worse and more easily noticeable.

• Agree Agree x 5
    Feline Darkmage

Feline Darkmage Burger-Eating Janitor Cat
    Staff Member Moderator True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  5. You mention the guy's sense of humor basically being LOLSORANDOM and I'm glad other people see it. He seems like TGWTG knock off and I see him pal around with that lot on twitter so it doesn't surprise me one bit.

Also:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One of the core criticisms of Channel Awesome has always been that it was a circle jerk and that's still true. If you're not part of the club or don't actively try to kiss their asses in awe of their glory nothing you do is worthwhile to these people. It's such an incestuous little shit hole. They basically squandered their peak relevancy (2010-2011) making videos that were entirely indistinguishable from the next. Hell the only difference between a Linkara video from 2010 and 2017 is the couch and whats behind it. When they should have been focusing on improving the quality of their videos, honing their craft when it comes to writing, comedic timing, and general technical videography stuff they were instead doubling down on running jokes that became increasingly alienating to new viewers with each successive call back, turning silly skits designed to illustrate a point into embarrassing story lines that strained your ability to take their criticism media seriously, and wasting weeks of their producers time making shitty anniversary specials and grainy looking crossovers filmed in dimly lit hotel rooms. The site had an almost bizarro-natural selection where bad ideas propagate and thrive in the group while good ideas die out.

During their peak relevancy they bloated the site roster with any dead weight they could get their hands on, diluting what it meant to be a Channel Awesome Producer to the point where it basically became brand homeopathy. Once upon a time the site was pillared around a few big name producers who got to be their "film guy", "comics guy", "retro games guy", "modern games guy", "the girl", etc with some smaller producers filling out more niche roles. The more producers the site added the less distinguishable their big names became against a cacophony of 1,000 Diamanda Hagans and Blockbuster Busters. As time has marched forward people like Spoony and Lindsay have parted ways with the site but they're still stuck with a lot of that weight.

By 2012 it was all so worn to death and combined with the fact that they were always so smug and unpleasant towards their fans it's easy to see why so few people who are fans of them today have been fans from the start. When the content is that fucking stale and the people making it treat you like shit on twitter for even mild disagreements about fucking video games (here's looking at you, Spoony) there's little incentive to stick around.

Jon and the creators that he networked with and is adjacent (namely Normal Boots, Hidden Block, and Game Grumps) outclassed them in every imaginable respect. People like them and Red Letter Media sent Channel Awesome into the slow motion death spiral that continues to this day.

So yeah, I'm guessing they're double salty over the fact that one of the guys who basically killed their monopoly on this style of video isn't interested in toeing the political lines they're embraced in the last few years and instead seems almost interested in actively transgressing it. Even more so that it doesn't seem to be hurting him like the Spoony rape joke debacle hurt their own site.

Also, fun fact, Diamanda Hagan, whose content is so bad I can't make it through an entire video, used to be a contributor at the now defunct Channel Awesome clone "Reviewtopia" (later RVT) which Short Fat Otaku (the guy behind those Gamergate "Indie-Fensible!" videos) was also a part of. That site had a world class Nuclear meltdown a few years after it's founding but years later Short Fat Otaku claimed that, when the site launched, one of the contributors they rejected was JonTron, and the timeline of when that would have happened actually makes me believe that's why he founded Normal Boots.

• Informative Informative x 10
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Feels Feels x 1
    #105 Kellemdavos, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    Kellemdavos

Kellemdavos Hinterland Trash

kiwifarms.net
  6. His humour style's actually a rip-off of Caddicarus. Even though I like Caddicarus, his humour grates on me somtimes, but I forgive him because he makes me laugh more often than not and at least he's not lecturing me on fucking Social Justice.
    Go back to producing your shitty Doctor Who reviews where you mark episodes down because they don't fit into your extremely esoteric idea of canon Diamanda. You're really not one to be talking about crap jokes considering your reviews are one of the most laugh-free things I've ever seen.

• Agree Agree x 2
    TheImportantFart

kiwifarms.net
  7. I don't think either of these two understand the biggest thing JonTron has over them and that's his charisma and likability. Whether or not you find his videos funny, Jon is a pretty cool guy overall so even when his jokes don't land he's still fun to watch, which to me is the most important aspect of an entertainer. Meanwhile you have Lindsay who slowly warped her videos into unwatchable soapboxes that alienate basically everyone who doesn't agree with her and Linkara who isn't charismatic enough to compensate for his grossly unfunny material.

So it should come as no surprise they don't like him. Because Jon's actually talented.

• Agree Agree x 20
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Semper Fidelis Semper Fidelis x 1
    Baldur's Gait

Baldur's Gait Are you gonna throw rocks at me? What about now?

kiwifarms.net
  8. Fitting that I don't like Caddicarus's stuff that much either. I thought that video where he interviewed the kids about Star Wars was cute, but his normal reviews don't click with me that much.

If you take that and replace the overall likable Caddicarus with an obnoxious far-left pseudo-intellect like hbomberguy, well, fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Also, this showed up on his curious cat thing. Notice how a few paragraphs down his response becomes "my uncle works at JonTron and he told me he is fucked up because he doesn't embrace cultural theory". Yeah, sure bro. Even if you do have some kind of privileged info that you don't feel comfortable sharing, you're already violating the trust it was given to you under by posting what you did..

Let me show hbomberguy how to respond to that question.

"Hey, yeah, it's okay to feel down. However, I would encourage you not to defer the validity of you emotions to random people who make videos you like on the internet. Your emotions are yours and you need to be able to answer these questions on your own. An important part of emotional health is not merely understanding that things hurt us, but how and why they hurt us and how we can process that hurt in a healthy way. I'm not a mental health professional, I just make stupid videos on the Internet, so I can't really offer you any insights here that would be beneficial to you that you wouldn't be better served finding on your own or with a licensed professional."

Instead he smelled blood in the water and used this person's pain to say "hey, yeah, cultural theory is pretty good and not believing it is why Jon is so fucked up right now." It's gross. Like a cult recruiter preying on someones pain to try and sell their cult to them. Fuck this guy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #108 Kellemdavos, Feb 18, 2017
    Kellemdavos

kiwifarms.net
  9. He's the kind of person that you'll watch say unfunny stuff because seeing him do it makes it funny, he's got a watchable and mean-no-harm delivery, no argument here.

• Agree Agree x 17
    TowinKarz

TowinKarz Want to Skateboards?

kiwifarms.net
  10. I know we got some CA vets on this site, but this behavior is just coming off as petty. Like, really petty. Didn't a lot of these guys also gang up on AVGN when he said he wasn't going to see the Ghostbusters reboot?

For the record, the only salt I have against Jontron is I don't like him reviewing movies nearly as much as his game reviews.

• Agree Agree x 5
    Kamen Rider Black RX

Kamen Rider Black RX Winner: Cole Smithey Award for Valued Opinion
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  11. They did. Which I still think is hilarious considering none of them would be producing videos if it weren't for him. I specifically remember Lindsay in particular attacking him. To this day I'm still confused why James calmly and rationally explaining why he wasn't interested in the Ghostbusters reboot caused such a shitstorm.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Powerlevel Powerlevel x 1
    Baldur's Gait

Baldur's Gait Are you gonna throw rocks at me? What about now?

kiwifarms.net
  12. One of the big things that Jon's humor has over someone like Linkara (and most of TGWTG/CA to be honest) is a lack of reliance on running gags. Linkara would trot out that I AM A MAN! *punch* and BEES... MY GOD... shit all the time. Some of that shit was funny in the context of the video they came from but not repeated every time it came to mind. Linkara's reliance on running gags ended up filling his videos with reused punchlines stripped of their original context. They weren't funny.

Jon doesn't actually put a heavy reliance on running gags. There's an occasional call back to older stuff but they'e actually few and far between but almost all of his jokes are rooted in the moment they occur in the video. A lot of Jon's humor is low brow belly laugh stuff, where part of the joke is how he delivers it and how animated he is. It's why there's a fuckton of reaction gifs from his videos. This is only a bad thing if you're a pseudo-intellectual who thinks all humor has to be 6 layers of irony shit teir twitter snark

• Agree Agree x 17
    #112 Kellemdavos, Feb 18, 2017
    Kellemdavos

kiwifarms.net
  13. The thing I got is that people wanted the movie to succeed on the basis of it's cast alone, giving them a hair-trigger on those who were negative about it. It doesn't matter how nicely one put their feelings on the movie going into it, if you said bad things you were the villain. It's really a symptom of how the younger members of our society have difficulties handling criticism.

Not to mention, virtue-signaling. Oh god, the virtue-signaling. It allows them to attract the idiots foaming at the mouth about social justice that appear to be all over the net these days. Appearing PC or attacking those for expressing a non-PC belief in an attempt to draw attention, and views, to themselves. Never mind some of the off color language or jokes they made when they started out, it's all about looking good now to bait those clicks.

I remember facepalming (and bringing it up here) when during Gamergate Jon compared people coming after him (over the infamous tweet) to people being lynched. Now, it doesn't seem as much of a hyperbole. People just want to censor any thoughts that go against their beliefs and it's getting worse.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Feels Feels x 2
    Kamen Rider Black RX

Kamen Rider Black RX Winner: Cole Smithey Award for Valued Opinion
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  14. it hurts that my favorite dumb little game launched such massive autism but it's true, anyone with a sans avatar is most likely prime lolcow material

sarcastic husbands "echo chamber i suppose" followed and preceded by A STRING OF PEOPLE AGREEING WITH THEIR SENTIMENT

agreed. i'm not sure what i think about kyle jumping into the mix...i'm still subbed to him, and usually his opinions seemed tame/reasonable to me....eh i'll probably keep watching him, if only because he's the only person i've found to go into the weirder/artsy movies, and he's a fairly good reviewer in his own right. rapcritic is another one i still watch, he's able to keep his slightly SJWish opinions out of his videos and contained to his FB page so i'm cool with him. plus he's just plain funny. everyone else though? nah, i jumped ship long ago. the running gags/CONSTANT CROSSOVERS were the main killer. i can't even be bothered to go back and listen to their older videos now.

i consistently binge watch jontron videos tho, and still get at the very least a smile from the jokes.
    also fuk u diamanda jacques is ten times the entertainer you will ever be

• Feels Feels x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Lurkette

Lurkette I ' M I R R I T A T I N G !
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  15. Diamanda might be the single worst person on Channel Awesome. She's emblematic of the kind of terrible imitators that site inspired as well as the terrible standards the site holds it's contributors to. There's not a single Diamanda video that's funnier than any given Jacques bit from any of Jon's videos. Her videos are awful, she's unfunny and says nothing remotely interesting about the stuff she "reviews".

She's also got some posts that belong in the Pewdiepie salt thread... might dig those up in a bit too.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Informative Informative x 3
    Kellemdavos

kiwifarms.net
  16. When she did that crossover with the Nostalgia Critic, the only line of hers that most people found funny was "Anything as long as it inflicts a buttload of pain. Or a painload of butts." Turns out Doug wrote that line. So her funniest line (at least in some people's eyes) ever wasn't even hers.

• Informative Informative x 9
    TheImportantFart

kiwifarms.net
  17. Jon overall demonstrates a willingness to completely push the envelope, at least with his version of the sketch humor. Most CA stuff is just the reviewer showing up in a costume and mugging to himself off camera. But you can watch a JonTron video and reliably see something you genuinely didn't expect. Like that infamous Grimbo gag.

• Agree Agree x 10
    Replicant Sasquatch

Replicant Sasquatch Do Lolcows Dream of Electric Hedgehog Pokemon?

kiwifarms.net
  18. ...that is where the man punch thing came from?

Jesus this answers so many questions about a guy who was my best friend through high school and did that all the fucking time...he introduced me to TGWTG and frankly it's the closest I've ever come to being on the side of the SJWs I now realize in hind sight.

I haven't spoken to the guy in years and honestly I think I dodged a bullet as a result.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Feels Feels x 5
    Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Resident KF Transformers Expert

kiwifarms.net
  19. I've actually met quite a few TGWTG people, so yeah, you might hate me here but I am going to jump to their genneral defence.

The ones I have met in person have been very sweet and very nice. They've done no harm. I think their biggest problem is that they kind of ended up exsisting in their own little bubble with a big fanbase whom praised their glory and they kind of got caught up in it.

My defense only goes to an exstent though because.... Well... Lindsay Elis. She attacked me on facebook ones and brought her mob.

I used to write articles for TheAgonybooth... I havn't for two years, been busy with education, also I felt like the site was going downhill and wouldn't allow me to do the things I wanted to do.
    But anyhow, I did that. Then back when Anita Sarkeesian became a thing, everyone I was involved with sang her praises and was on the defense side of Sarkeesian. Then I dared to ask the question, I remember this, I called Sarkessian. "A problematic figure, and perhaps rather questionable."

That's all I called her, no mean words, no shaming tactics, nothing, and suddenly, Lindsay Elis was there on my facebook attacking me and she brought a dusin of her dedicated fans as well. And well, of course she dwarfs me in popularity duh, I had maybe ten loyal fans at the time big deal.

So they started to accuse me of wanting to see Sarkeesian raped even though I clearly stated. "Rape is never okay." they somehow turned that around to make it sound like I wanted Sarkeesian to be raped.
    And they continued and continued, I was so young and naive back then,... four years ago... they actually managed to make me cry.
    I know, I was weak, but I wasn't really prepaired for that or to have my every word twisted around and turned against me.

So what I concluded from that is that Lindsay Elis is a mean motherfucker, she is not a nice person.

however, when I got to share VIP room with film brain and a couple of others at a con, they were very nice and very sweet.
    Whether you like their content or not, it's up you, no one has to watch any of it.

And well, having been on the "I am a reviewer." side of things, I can tell you things get harsh really quick. No matter what you say or do people will start to tear it down and call you all sorts of names. So yeah, most people start to act rather defensive rather quick.
    The enternet is brutal.

• Feels Feels x 26
    • Deviant Deviant x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Bombshell

Bombshell True shitlord

kiwifarms.net
  20. Red Letter Media also avoids running gags or at least running them into the ground. They might repeat a joke for a bit, but it eventually gets dropped. (Mike didn't make a joke about Darth Vader's "Nooo!" line in the Plinkett Episode III review probably because he already devoted a video to it.)

I did go through most of JonTron's videos awhile back, but did it by hopping around to what seemed interesting. The jokes didn't depend on self-referential humor or reliance on a "story line", except for that Star Wars special thing he did. It made it easy to take each video one at time.

I do find it odd how popular he is despite how few videos he's made (besides Game Grumps). He really blows a hole in TGWTG's weekly output strategy.

• Agree Agree x 11
    kiwifarms.net
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.