Manosphere Jordan Peterson - Internet Daddy Simulator, Post-modern Anti-postmodernist, Canadian Psychology Professor, Depressed

ExceptionallyExceptional

Autism Incarnate
kiwifarms.net
This is a thread?
So what, he's super tedious and wide-ranging in the points he makes?
It's all absolutely true, even the contentious stuff is true in his qualification of the accuracy of perceived research.
It's only true because he's so tedious and cautious.

The only dubious claim he's made is about the success of his purely carnivorous diet and I forgive him that because it's for his daughter.
Even then, he makes an interesting point about dietary science considering how much diet bullshit is out there and how much we fully understand about what food does to us.
I dunno, his "Atheists aren't really real atheists because they don't act like a fictional character like I think they should" claim was pretty dubious. As was his claim to have been unable to sleep for 25 days because of drinking fucking apple cider. And then there's the whole "Lobster brains dissolve and regrow" shit he spewed in his book for which he cites a study and, quelle surprise, the study claimed no such thing. I think Peterson was banking on people accepting the citation itself as evidence without checking the actual study.
And those are just the ones I remember when sleep deprived.

Man vs persistent rat

A good egg is a nice person
kiwifarms.net
It has to be clear by now that the 25 days claim just meant 'almost no sleep'. Admittedly for Mr Logical that is a silly mistake, but it's a common one. A person delirious with flu (to create some other example) might say they couldn't sleep for half a week, but what they really mean is they drifted in and out on a few occasions while trying and feeling as though they failed to force it, when in reality they're getting occasional micro-naps that still leave them feeling like shit all the time. He may even have been aware of this and using 'no sleep' as hyperbole for most of his allocated sleeping time being spent awake, staring at the ceiling (another common if flawed way to describe a rough night).

The food causing him to feel this way is hilarious, however.

Steamboat_Bill

Going to beat the record of the Robert E. Lee
kiwifarms.net
I dunno, his "Atheists aren't really real atheists because they don't act like a fictional character like I think they should" claim was pretty dubious. As was his claim to have been unable to sleep for 25 days because of drinking fucking apple cider. And then there's the whole "Lobster brains dissolve and regrow" shit he spewed in his book for which he cites a study and, quelle surprise, the study claimed no such thing. I think Peterson was banking on people accepting the citation itself as evidence without checking the actual study.
You ever notice how all his descriptions of lobsters and their mating rituals seem to omit all the pissing they do?

KobaCuppa

Fair dinkum cunt
kiwifarms.net
For what little Peterson is worth at this point, he definitely has some value. He's like a nice little memorial of the fact that even my extremely left leaning, destiny-worshipping (Twitch Destiny - not in reference to future events) brother and I can make jokes about lobster sex, making ur bed and eating pure meat 24/7 substantiating a healthy diet. 'Tis something special

Medicated

Not the fun kind
kiwifarms.net
This is a thread?
So what, he's super tedious and wide-ranging in the points he makes?
It's all absolutely true, even the contentious stuff is true in his qualification of the accuracy of perceived research.
It's only true because he's so tedious and cautious.

The only dubious claim he's made is about the success of his purely carnivorous diet and I forgive him that because it's for his daughter.
Even then, he makes an interesting point about dietary science considering how much diet bullshit is out there and how much we fully understand about what food does to us.
As I said, he was informative and helpful when he talked of his professional studies and experience, when you try to apply that lens to various other topics it was just the typical thing you usually see, someone well versed in one area of study thinking that their insights apply to all areas of study. There's no shame in saying, "I have no fucking idea what I'm talking about, my opinions in this subject are largely uninformed and I'm going to shut up now."

But for some reason people can't help themselves.

sperginity

ass assaulter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't think anyone cares if the citation is correct because it isn't really relevant to the point being made. The main idea is that lobster behavior is moderated by serotonin, and that their serotonin levels is correlated with their social position. Peterson could have chosen anything since lobsters to prove virtually the same point, but he picked the oldest thing to try and communicate how integral that system is to life on earth. skeptic spergs like PZ myers were falling all over themselves to debunk something that isn't really relevant because JP said it.

Anyway, there are so many ways in which peterson is cringey, especially when he gets mad. I don't think I saw anyone link to the time he streamed on accident and was using his webcam to floss his teeth, while his wife came home and they both complained about troons taking over canadian schools.
its no DSP jerk off sesh, but its pretty fucking funny to see how much he curses when he doesn't know the camera is on. His wife saves an article that she knows is going to anger him, she keeps it like a treat to bring home and announces the bullshit going down with glee, because I think they both enjoy being bitter, angry people in private. They would probably fit in on KF, actually.

Steamboat_Bill

kiwifarms.net
I don't think anyone cares if the citation is correct because it isn't really relevant to the point being made. The main idea is that lobster behavior is moderated by serotonin, and that their serotonin levels is correlated with their social position. Peterson could have chosen anything since lobsters to prove virtually the same point, but he picked the oldest thing to try and communicate how integral that system is to life on earth. skeptic spergs like PZ myers were falling all over themselves to debunk something that isn't really relevant because JP said it.

Anyway, there are so many ways in which peterson is cringey, especially when he gets mad. I don't think I saw anyone link to the time he streamed on accident and was using his webcam to floss his teeth, while his wife came home and they both complained about troons taking over canadian schools.
its no DSP jerk off sesh, but its pretty fucking funny to see how much he curses when he doesn't know the camera is on. His wife saves an article that she knows is going to anger him, she keeps it like a treat to bring home and announces the bullshit going down with glee, because I think they both enjoy being bitter, angry people in private. They would probably fit in on KF, actually.
That fucking face he's making in the thumbnail...

Rekkington

Obama chuckled. "You mean the chaos emeralds?"
kiwifarms.net
It's really weird how his detractors zero in on that point. "Oh are you saying humans are lobsters? Why should we try and be lobsters?" It's a fucking metaphor, it's to show how ancient and pervasive dominance hierarchies are and how it's reinforced biologically.
It's the weirdest thing, people go out of their way to not understand the point and pretend he is saying something else. "Oh so you're saying cleaning your room will save the world?" No dumbass, that's the lead, that's the metaphor, I don't know why people cross their arms and get so uppity about these specific things. He leans into it now because it's become a meme but it's puzzling as to why they chose these specific points to spaz out about.

He says that having your own life sorted out is important before you try and change the entire society, then it's "well what about slavery, are you saying people with messy rooms aren't allowed to fight to end slavery?" It's the dumbest shit. Yeah, that's definitely what he is saying, people who don't wash their dick aren't allowed to be against famine. What a checkmate.

Senior Lexmechanic

Shitposting displeases the Omnissiah
kiwifarms.net

He looks like the evil schoolmaster from The Wall, Christ.

Iron Tarkus

kiwifarms.net
Long-time lurker here. Thought I'd come bearing some gifts for my first post. Here's a Tweet I saw a few months ago that I got a good laugh out of:
Btw, the link in the tweet was broken, in true boomer fashion.

Also, I saw someone post part of this segment about a nightmare he once had, but the whole thing really plays into the idea that Peterson is a horrorcow. Very chilling stuff.
My parents lived in a standard ranch style house, in a middle-class neighborhood, in a small town in
northern Alberta. I was sitting in the darkened basement of this house, in the family room, watching TV,
with my cousin Diane, who was in truth – in waking life – the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. A
newscaster suddenly interrupted the program. The television picture and sound distorted, and static
filled the screen. My cousin stood up and went behind the TV to check the electrical cord. She touched
it, and started convulsing and frothing at the mouth, frozen upright by intense current.
A brilliant flash of light from a small window flooded the basement. I rushed upstairs. There was
nothing left of the ground floor of the house. It had been completely and cleanly sheared away, leaving
only the floor, which now served the basement as a roof. Red and orange flames filled the sky, from
horizon to horizon. Nothing was left as far as I could see, except skeletal black ruins sticking up here
and there: no houses, no trees, no signs of other human beings or of any life whatsoever. The entire
town and everything that surrounded it on the flat prairie had been completely obliterated.
It started to rain mud, heavily. The mud blotted out everything, and left the earth brown, wet, flat and
dull, and the sky leaden, even grey. A few distraught and shell-shocked people started to gather together. They were carrying unlabelled and dented cans of food, which contained nothing but mush and
vegetables. They stood in the mud looking exhausted and disheveled. Some dogs emerged, out from
under the basement stairs, where they had inexplicably taken residence. They were standing upright, on
their hind legs. They were thin, like greyhounds, and had pointed noses. They looked like creatures of
ritual – like Anubis, from the Egyptian tombs. They were carrying plates in front of them, which
contained pieces of seared meat. They wanted to trade the meat for the cans. I took a plate. In the center
of it was a circular slab of flesh four inches in diameter and one inch thick, foully cooked, oily, with a
marrow bone in the center of it. Where did it come from?
I had a terrible thought. I rushed downstairs to my cousin. The dogs had butchered her, and were
offering the meat to the survivors of the disaster. I woke up with my heart pounding.
Full disclosure: I like Peterson's writing as well as some of his lectures, but he's definitely some breed of cow. The guy is way too weird not to be.

Hellbound Hellhound

kiwifarms.net
It's really weird how his detractors zero in on that point. "Oh are you saying humans are lobsters? Why should we try and be lobsters?" It's a fucking metaphor, it's to show how ancient and pervasive dominance hierarchies are and how it's reinforced biologically.
It's the weirdest thing, people go out of their way to not understand the point and pretend he is saying something else. "Oh so you're saying cleaning your room will save the world?" No dumbass, that's the lead, that's the metaphor, I don't know why people cross their arms and get so uppity about these specific things. He leans into it now because it's become a meme but it's puzzling as to why they chose these specific points to spaz out about.

He says that having your own life sorted out is important before you try and change the entire society, then it's "well what about slavery, are you saying people with messy rooms aren't allowed to fight to end slavery?" It's the dumbest shit. Yeah, that's definitely what he is saying, people who don't wash their dick aren't allowed to be against famine. What a checkmate.
To be honest, I find your comments to be a lot more dismissive and reductionist than most of the arguments I see made against Peterson. I don't get the impression that most people single out the quotes he's made about lobsters or the need to clean one's room as an easy means to dismiss the finer points of his arguments, I see these quotes simply being cited as good examples of the way that Peterson himself often simplifies his analyses in order to justify his own (often half-baked) conjectures.

Take the famous lobster example for instance: you say that he used it "to show how ancient and pervasive dominance hierarchies are and how it's reinforced biologically". I don't dispute this, but what useful point is he trying to drive at? Dominance hierarchies have ranged widely across human societies throughout history, and are constantly shifting and changing even today in response to new societal trends and circumstances: women entering the workforce, black people achieving civil rights, homosexuality ceasing to be criminalized and stigmatized, the internet: all of these things have massively reshaped the social hierarchy in just the last 50 years. What does looking at the never-changing social arrangements of lobsters really teach us about any of this? In what way is it practically applicable to our society?

His other point about individuals needing to 'sort themselves out' before working to affect change in society is similarly asinine. Friedrich Nietzsche, Isaac Newton, and Jean-Jacques Rousseau were all apparently dysfunctional people in their personal lives, yet this didn't stop them from making great contributions to our understanding of the world, politically, philosophically, and scientifically. This isn't to say that self-improvement isn't a worthwhile goal, but trying to relate it to political discourse as a means to pathologize opposing viewpoints (and resting upon the authority of an academic background in psychology to do so) is trivial at best, and downright perfidious at worst.

NSA

kiwifarms.net
I liked listening to his stories he's a pretty good (if verbose) storyteller - like every pysch teacher is.

But then someone asked him if he believed in God and he - with a straight face completely devoid of irony - said something like "what do you mean by "believe", what do you mean by "God" blah blah blah don't assume my gender philosophy, also don't ask me to explain it."

Just say "yes", "no" or "not sure" you fraud.

Steamboat_Bill

kiwifarms.net
Long-time lurker here. Thought I'd come bearing some gifts for my first post. Here's a Tweet I saw a few months ago that I got a good laugh out of:

Btw, the link in the tweet was broken, in true boomer fashion.

Also, I saw someone post part of this segment about a nightmare he once had, but the whole thing really plays into the idea that Peterson is a horrorcow. Very chilling stuff.

Full disclosure: I like Peterson's writing as well as some of his lectures, but he's definitely some breed of cow. The guy is way too weird not to be.
"...with my cousin Diane, who was in truth - in waking life - the most beautiful woman I had ever seen."

So Peterson apparently had the hots for his cousin.

Senior Lexmechanic

Shitposting displeases the Omnissiah
kiwifarms.net
"...with my cousin Diane, who was in truth - in waking life - the most beautiful woman I had ever seen."

So Peterson apparently had the hots for his cousin.
I mean, if you have cousins you don't see very often, and who are older than you by a notable margin, I don't think it's that uncommon to have a baby crush on them: if you're, like, 8. If we're talking about a 16-year old lobster man rubbing one out to his 20something cousin, that gets into creepy territory.

• Agree
Reactions: millais

AnAccount

kiwifarms.net
It has to be clear by now that the 25 days claim just meant 'almost no sleep'. Admittedly for Mr Logical that is a silly mistake, but it's a common one. A person delirious with flu (to create some other example) might say they couldn't sleep for half a week, but what they really mean is they drifted in and out on a few occasions while trying and feeling as though they failed to force it, when in reality they're getting occasional micro-naps that still leave them feeling like shit all the time. He may even have been aware of this and using 'no sleep' as hyperbole for most of his allocated sleeping time being spent awake, staring at the ceiling (another common if flawed way to describe a rough night).

The food causing him to feel this way is hilarious, however.
he bullshits all the time. Like his daughter has a public website. and it lists his 'all meat carnivore' diet and it's absolutely filled with stuff like veggies.

• Informative
Reactions: millais

Iron Tarkus

kiwifarms.net
I mean, if you have cousins you don't see very often, and who are older than you by a notable margin, I don't think it's that uncommon to have a baby crush on them: if you're, like, 8. If we're talking about a 16-year old lobster man rubbing one out to his 20something cousin, that gets into creepy territory.
I believe he started having these dreams in college, if that helps put things into perspective.

Also, keep in mind that this is from his magnum opus, "Maps of Meaning." He took some time to admit that he thought his cousin was hot in the middle of the philosophy book he spent over 13 years writing.

Certainly not the worst thing in the world, but it definitely adds to Peterson's weirdness.

Man vs persistent rat

A good egg is a nice person
kiwifarms.net
he bullshits all the time. Like his daughter has a public website. and it lists his 'all meat carnivore' diet and it's absolutely filled with stuff like veggies.
Is that recent? I only know the original Rogan clip where he says he used meat and greens at first, but then cut out the greens. He might have changed the diet since, I haven't been following it.

Spasticus Autisticus

kiwifarms.net
I liked listening to his stories he's a pretty good (if verbose) storyteller - like every pysch teacher is.

But then someone asked him if he believed in God and he - with a straight face completely devoid of irony - said something like "what do you mean by "believe", what do you mean by "God" blah blah blah don't assume my gender philosophy, also don't ask me to explain it."

Just say "yes", "no" or "not sure" you fraud.
When you're debating philosophy you need to be precise about your terms. I don't see how it makes him a fraud to insist that he and the questioner work from the same definitions of philosophical terms, especially one as fuzzy as "belief".

NSA

kiwifarms.net
When you're debating philosophy you need to be precise about your terms. I don't see how it makes him a fraud to insist that he and the questioner work from the same definitions of philosophical terms, especially one as fuzzy as "belief".
Eh, I think you can reply to a question like that as precisely as you please without dancing around with 50 questions first.

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino