Manosphere Jordan Peterson - Internet Daddy Simulator, Post-modern Anti-postmodernist, Canadian Psychology Professor, Depressed, Got Hooked on Benzos

• Order for the new server will be going in ASAP. Performance will be rocky until then (rip).

DrunkNDoziNDragN

I have the biggest gold heap on this trash heap
kiwifarms.net
I remember the media making a real shit fit over this guy being the next big neo nazi alt right ringleader only for it to vanish and be memory holed even faster than usual. Looks like even they realized this guy is a molehill instead of a mountain.

Honestly everything he said is not revolutionary. Put more effort into yourself than you currently are. Whatever you are currently doing, do extra. Basically. I never followed him or his supporters but it seems to me he was just a convenience face to put on a bunch of pre-existing thoughts and grievances. His detractors saw the same and now they had a face to point to about the big bad manosphere. Really the only truly edgy thing he ever said was about tranny pronouns.

After all that he turns out to be human. Not even a particularly strong one in fact. Just some dude who has bad stuff happening to him and he buckled.

It must have been hard for him to realize that he had been making a living in the very educational system that is instilling fear and hatred of men into people's heads and good for him for trying to do something about it. However I foresee this thread becoming inactive after his wife dies as he will likely leave the public eye completely and the only mention of him will be from screeching university paper articles for a few years more.

His detractors saw the same and now they had a face to point to about the big bad manosphere. Really the only truly edgy thing he ever said was about tranny pronouns.
I think you're overselling it. He was largely a meme in leftist circles. There are still some satirical FB groups hanging around dedicated to making fun of the pseudoscientific garbage he says that are sort of ambiguous enough that real JP fans join accidentally and start going on unironically about dragon slaying and room cleaning, to the hilarity of all.

Here's one such unfortunate case:
1579319624780.png

the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpYa2OL8IbA

It's actually astonishing that Peterson had any notable involvement in academia at all, considering he seems to just imitate academic rhetoric without following any coherent framework and making loose associations with little substantive reasoning. It'd be like if you wrote a mathematical proof, but at every single step you just claimed something like "It's clear that A = B is true" to shirk responsibility of actually having to prove any of the math. He talks about things he's never read, and tries to take from fields he's not even knowledgeable in, resulting in objectively incorrect statements (such as Eros and Chaos being female when this is canonically false). It's sort of a testament to the fact that universities have largely become cash grabs for grant funding and celeb visiting profs, with little desire to actually educate. Fuck, the stories I could tell about scientific research in grad school lol. It's such a sham in some labs, esp tech-y areas w profs who never really learned the material in substantial depth but are simply good at writing grant proposals and treating their students like slaves.

Steamboat_Bill

Going to beat the record of the Robert E. Lee
kiwifarms.net
I think you're overselling it. He was largely a meme in leftist circles. There are still some satirical FB groups hanging around dedicated to making fun of the pseudoscientific garbage he says that are sort of ambiguous enough that real JP fans join accidentally and start going on unironically about dragon slaying and room cleaning, to the hilarity of all.

Here's one such unfortunate case:
View attachment 1103122
the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpYa2OL8IbA

It's actually astonishing that Peterson had any notable involvement in academia at all, considering he seems to just imitate academic rhetoric without following any coherent framework and making loose associations with little substantive reasoning. It'd be like if you wrote a mathematical proof, but at every single step you just claimed something like "It's clear that A = B is true" to shirk responsibility of actually having to prove any of the math. He talks about things he's never read, and tries to take from fields he's not even knowledgeable in, resulting in objectively incorrect statements (such as Eros and Chaos being female when this is canonically false). It's sort of a testament to the fact that universities have largely become cash grabs for grant funding and celeb visiting profs, with little desire to actually educate. Fuck, the stories I could tell about scientific research in grad school lol. It's such a sham in some labs, esp tech-y areas w profs who never really learned the material in substantial depth but are simply good at writing grant proposals and treating their students like slaves.
He did prove to me that you can become an expert on mythology and folktales by watching a lot of Disney movies. And an expert on history by watching Don Bluth movies.

Flexo

Can i get "kill all humans" on random.txt?
kiwifarms.net
Wait, you know how much of a joke academia is and you're surprised by how JBP got by? To quote a guy I knew who was a college teacher:

And now we’re back in the realm of academia’s fucked up incentive structure. The road to tenure takes only left turns, you’ll recall, because only “original” “research” gets published, and since Shakespeare ain’t writing no more sonnets, the only way to be “original” is through radical politics.​

Last edited:

Ningen

The new n-word
kiwifarms.net
His detractors saw the same and now they had a face to point to about the big bad manosphere. Really the only truly edgy thing he ever said was about tranny pronouns.
He said that all communists are going to Hell, that sounds pretty edgy to me.

Other than that he loves licking the ass of red-scaring cuckservatives while, just like Soygon of Akkad, claims that he is no rightist. You'd think that after 90s McCarthyism would stop being a thing, but oh no, this "cultural marxist" bullshit is more powerful than ever.

Steamboat_Bill

kiwifarms.net
He said that all communists are going to Hell, that sounds pretty edgy to me.

Other than that he loves licking the ass of red-scaring cuckservatives while, just like Soygon of Akkad, claims that he is no rightist. You'd think that after 90s McCarthyism would stop being a thing, but oh no, this "cultural marxist" bullshit is more powerful than ever.
Much like people who loudly proclaim their masculinity are often in the closet, I can’t help but think Peterson is, in reality, a closet tankie. I bet you he jizzes at the thought of seizing the means of production.

ScamL Likely

IT'S! NOT! EVEN! HOT! OUT! SIDE~!
kiwifarms.net
In an interview he also lamented about social taboos against beating up women for being "crazy." Seems a bit strange to be a self-proclaimed advocate of free speech but also openly admit that your only defense against "uncivil discourse" is physical violence.

The chaos dragon bit is funny to me as well. Mixed into word salad arguments, he occasionally adopts Jungian pseudoscience and claims that "chaos" is feminine, and "order" is masculine. He also conflates eros with chaos for some reason. It's not even historically accurate. Eros was canonically male, and Greek texts intentionally used neuter pronouns for Chaos.
On that note, I'd bet money that JP is bipolar or something. This shit is manic as fuck:
View attachment 1092843
View attachment 1092841
It seems like a somewhat altered knockoff of some of the things from Joseph Campbell's works.

AirdropShitposts

Jake Alley is @SecretGamerGrrl's glandular problem
kiwifarms.net
This idiot went to Russia to break his benzo addiction and gave himself brain damage because he doesn't trust capitalist North American doctors:
Jordan Peterson is recovering from a severe addiction to benzodiazepine tranquilizers and was recently near death in an induced coma, his daughter Mikhaila said.

He is being treated at a clinic in Russia after being repeatedly misdiagnosed at several hospitals in North America, she said.

The University of Toronto psychologist who became an intellectual hero to a global audience by aligning self-help theory with anti-progressive politics was first prescribed the medication a few years ago to treat anxiety after what Mikhaila described as an autoimmune reaction to food. His physical dependence on it became apparent to his family last April, when his wife Tammy was diagnosed with cancer.

The last year, which saw him retreat from public life after swiftly becoming one of the most famous authors in the world, has been an “absolute hell,” said Mikhaila, also a well known speaker on diet, who advocates eating only beef.

In November, he went to a rehabilitation centre in New York. He has previously discussed his long history of depression.

Jordan Peterson writes a column for the National Post, most recently in November.

His conditioned worsened through the winter, Mikhaila said. He was driven to thoughts of suicide by a movement disorder called akathisia, a well known side effect of various drugs for mental illnesses. It is a sense of restlessness and an inability to sit still.

“It became apparent that he was experiencing a paradoxical reaction to the medication, meaning the benzos did the opposite of what they’re supposed to do. These reactions are rare but are not unheard of,” Mikhaila said in the script for a video shared with the National Post.

She said the family sought alternative treatment in Russia because they found North American hospitals had misdiagnosed him, and were prescribing “more medications to cover the response he was experiencing from the benzodiazepines,” Mikhaila said. “He nearly died several times.”

She and her husband took him to Moscow last month, where he was diagnosed with pneumonia and put into an induced coma for eight days. She said his withdrawal was “horrific,” worse than anything she had ever heard about. She said Russian doctors are not influenced by pharmaceutical companies to treat the side-effects of one drug with more drugs, and that they “have the guts to medically detox someone from benzodiazepines.”

Jordan Peterson has only just come out of an intensive care unit, Mikhaila said. He has neurological damage, and a long way to go to full recovery. He is taking anti-seizure medication and cannot type or walk unaided, but is “on the mend” and his sense of humour has returned.

“He’s smiling again for the first time in months,” she said.

wenttobermuda

I only pretend to be a tard
kiwifarms.net
I'm not really interested in Peterson's ideas, just his addiction and recovery. Never thought of him as a lolcow until now.

I had no idea his benzo detox went so poorly, or that he decided to take the kick in Russia of all places.

A benzo kick can kill. Go cold turkey, and you may seize and die, or fuck up your brain and live. So when detoxing, doctors generally titrate you down, and I HAVE AUTISM PLEASE LAUGH AT ME you off, slowly substituting weaker and longer acting benzos like librium for xanax, or whatever had you hooked. So, you know, you don't have a seizure.

It seems that his camp felt this standard course of treatment (which has helped loads of people detox without blowing up their brains) was "prescribing 'more medications to cover the response he was experiencing from the benzodiazepines'", and just the product of evil pharmaceutical company propaganda, which is exceptional, but not unfathomable for folks on an all beef diet.

So he went to Russia, apparently to be put in a coma and presumably go cold turkey, where he experienced...brain damage. As the result of a ballsy "medical detox."

Had he gone to, I dunno, a rehab or psych ward or detox center in the states, and followed advice, he probably wouldn't be brain damaged. How exceptional. This is how a lolcow kicks benzos.

Lemmingwise

Suit up and good to go.
kiwifarms.net
Throwing up an archive of that nationalpost article.

And a couple of reactions.
IMG_20200208_080846.png

IMG_20200208_081024.png
IMG_20200208_081009.png

addiction and gave himself brain damage because he doesn't trust capitalist North American doctors
I'm going to be honest with you, I have trouble believing that the guy who said he couldn't sleep for thirty days because he drank cider and his daughter who had a rare unidentified auto-immune disease that was cured by an all meat diet, are either insane enough or deceptive enough that his multiple near death experiences might, just might be an exageration.

I'm enjoying the show though. They're like a higher IQ youtuber who constantly need money for operations for their cat that doesn't exist.

Last edited:

Lemmingwise

Suit up and good to go.
kiwifarms.net
I found an update that was the source of the news

his daughter said:
Hi everyone, it’s been months since we’ve given an update on Jordan and my family’s health and it’s time for one so here goes.

The last year has been extremely difficult for our family. Dad was put on a low dose of a benzodiazepine a few years ago for anxiety following
an extremely severe autoimmune reaction to food. He took the medication as prescribed. Last April when my mom was diagnosed with terminal cancer, the dose of the medication was increased. It became apparent that he was suffering from both a physical dependency and a paradoxical reaction to the medication. A paradoxical reaction means the drugs do the opposite of what they’re supposed to. These reactions are rare but are not unheard of.

For the last 8 months he’s been in unbearable discomfort from this drug, made worse when trying to remove it, because of the addition of withdrawal symptoms, stemming from physical dependence. He experienced terrible akathisia, which is a condition where the person feels an incredible, endless, irresistible restlessness, bordering on
panic, and an inability to sit still. The reaction made him suicidal.
After several failed treatment attempts in North American hospitals, including attempts at tapering and micro-tapering, we had to seek an emergency medical benzodiazepine detox, which we were only able to find in Russia. It was incredibly gruelling, and was further complicated by severe pneumonia which we’ve been told he developed in one of the previous hospitals. He’s had to spend 4 weeks in the ICU in terrible shape, but, with
the help of some extremely competent and courageous doctors, he survived. The decision to bring him to Russia was made in extreme desperation, when we couldn’t find any better option. The uncertainty around his recovery has been one of the most difficult and scary experiences we’ve ever had.

So: Finally Dad is on the mend, even though there’s a lot of physiological damage that he needs to recover from. He’s improving, and is off the horrible medication. His sense of humour is back. He’s smiling again for the first time in months, but he still has a long way to go to recover fully.
It appears that we are going to get through this by the skin of our teeth.

So let me make a couple of things clear:

1. Neither our family nor the doctors here believe that this is a case of
psychological addiction.
2. Benzodiazepine physical dependence due to brain changes can occur in a matter of weeks. It can be made even worse by paradoxical reactions that are difficult to diagnose, and can be extremely dangerous.
3. We’ve been told and hope that Dad will recover fully but it will take time and he still has a ways to go.
4. We are extremely lucky and grateful that he’s alive.

Toshiba

kiwifarms.net
Although benzo withdrawal is dangerous, recorded fatal cases are incredibly rare, it's not like alcohol withdrawal. That said, withdrawing cold turkey sounds like a terrible idea. I knew a guy in rehab tapering off benzos and it seemed hellish, like his nerves were completely raw. After numbing his senses for so long it was unbearable to feel things again. He was convinced he was being zombified by coming off the drugs because he had trouble interacting and his thoughts were slow but you could not be more of a zombie than he was coming in.

You could see similar signs in Jordan Peterson- he doesn't have convincing emotional responses, he usually talks in a monotone, there's a vague sense that he is understanding and responding on only a superficial level. Of course he didn't come off like a drooling exceptional individual and I didn't flag it before he said about the benzos, but most of his interviews are on subjects he's already very familiar with, so he can make the connections and discuss them without needing much brainpower.

I don't know what his daughter means by saying he's not psychologically addicted and I hope he doesn't believe it. These are some really strong drugs he was prescribed because he couldn't cope with his wife's cancer and had to be tranquilised? The paradoxical reactions and food reactions stuff sounds like typical addict bullshit. He's got some tough work to do to adjust to life coming off drugs and staying clean and most of it is psychological. If he tries to go on the same as before he's going to relapse.

In the same way that there is rapid opiate detox using naloxone under general anesthetic, you could, I suppose, do something analogous in benzo addiction with flumazenil. Seems extremely dangerous: seizures, etc.

Reactions: Freedom Fries

Steamboat_Bill

kiwifarms.net
So, wait... what exactly is going on? Why did he go to Russia? Did he want a taste of socialized medicine, like back home?

I can only wonder how much of this is true. Can we trust his daughter on this?

Sweetpeaa

kiwifarms.net
Although benzo withdrawal is dangerous, recorded fatal cases are incredibly rare, it's not like alcohol withdrawal. That said, withdrawing cold turkey sounds like a terrible idea. I knew a guy in rehab tapering off benzos and it seemed hellish, like his nerves were completely raw. After numbing his senses for so long it was unbearable to feel things again. He was convinced he was being zombified by coming off the drugs because he had trouble interacting and his thoughts were slow but you could not be more of a zombie than he was coming in.

You could see similar signs in Jordan Peterson- he doesn't have convincing emotional responses, he usually talks in a monotone, there's a vague sense that he is understanding and responding on only a superficial level. Of course he didn't come off like a drooling exceptional individual and I didn't flag it before he said about the benzos, but most of his interviews are on subjects he's already very familiar with, so he can make the connections and discuss them without needing much brainpower.

I don't know what his daughter means by saying he's not psychologically addicted and I hope he doesn't believe it. These are some really strong drugs he was prescribed because he couldn't cope with his wife's cancer and had to be tranquilised? The paradoxical reactions and food reactions stuff sounds like typical addict bullshit. He's got some tough work to do to adjust to life coming off drugs and staying clean and most of it is psychological. If he tries to go on the same as before he's going to relapse.
Upper status people like this believe they are ''together'' until tragedy strikes and they suddenly find out they have no coping skills to deal with it. A cancer diagnosis for themselves or their spouse usually does it. Before this Jordan probably just ''couldn't understand'' why some people can't get their lives together or have a break down. HE probably thought smugly he was high functioning enough to cope with anything. Guess again.

sperginity

some oozing is expected
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
In the same way that there is rapid opiate detox using naloxone under general anesthetic, you could, I suppose, do something analogous in benzo addiction with flumazenil. Seems extremely dangerous: seizures, etc.
they give gaba analogues to people who need to come off of benzos now, it works well because they are also anti-seizure meds.

My take on his health is that he is an aging man who has only been eating beef for a lot longer than is advisable. He had a health problem and they are desperate to blame it on anything except his daughters extreme diet. She demonstrably has a severe auto immune disorder and maybe that diet is okay for people wiht that problem, JBP does not have a severe auto immune disorder so he probably should not keep eating that way.

GranDuke

kiwifarms.net
I'm going to be honest with you, I have trouble believing that the guy who said he couldn't sleep for thirty days because he drank cider and his daughter who had a rare unidentified auto-immune disease that was cured by an all meat diet, are either insane enough or deceptive enough that his multiple near death experiences might, just might be an exageration.
Yeah, this shit is weird and fits right next to the other weird shit that they have said/done in the past. Won't be shocked if few months later he comes out with a new book about how brain damage changed his life.