Joss Whedon: The Complete Companion by PopMatters - Essential for understanding the "Whedonverse"

Iwasamwillbe

Ar-Rahman, Ar-Rahim - The Beneficent, The Merciful
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm sure @Judge Holden would like this. Especially since I first saw this in a dollar store, which is the best indicator of a book's quality.

ABOUT JOSS WHEDON: THE COMPLETE COMPANION
THE ESSENTIAL UNOFFICIAL GUIDE TO THE WHEDONVERSE

Joss Whedon’s importance in contemporary pop culture can hardly be overstated, but there has never been a book providing a comprehensive survey of his career as a whole – until now. The Complete Companion covers every aspect of the Whedonverse through insightful essays and interviews, including fascinating conversations with key collaborators Jane Espenson and Tim Minear.

Over 40 contributors have been brought together by PopMatters, the acclaimed international magazine of cultural criticism, to provide an irresistible mix of analysis, interpretation and sheer celebration. Whether you’re a student looking for critical approaches to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, or a Browncoat who follows Nathan Fillion on Twitter (or, let’s face it, both) there is plenty here to enjoy.

Covers all the TV series, movies, and comic books, including:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse, Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog, Fray, Astonishing X-Men, The Avengers… and more!

Syaoran Li

Goth Mom Resurrection
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Joss Whedon's a major influence on pop culture....unfortunately his influence is largely negative.

Buffy was good and Dr. Horrible was okay as a quick comedy, and that was it. Joss is a one-trick pony like M. Night was, only his one trick is quippy snarky dialogue instead of shocking swerve twist endings

Krokodil Overdose

[|][||][||][|_]
kiwifarms.net
"Whedon universe" is such a weird concept. This isn't the MCU, or Kinoko Nasu's insane sprawl, it's just a bunch of random shit this guy who did a good show that one time did. Why is it being presented as a "universe?"

...oh, right, because his shit is so formulaic that everything he does is just a reskin of everything else. Petite brunette with superpowers, quip, snark, rinse, repeat.

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
"Whedon universe" is such a weird concept. This isn't the MCU, or Kinoko Nasu's insane sprawl, it's just a bunch of random shit this guy who did a good show that one time did. Why is it being presented as a "universe?"

...oh, right, because his shit is so formulaic that everything he does is just a reskin of everything else. Petite brunette with superpowers, quip, snark, rinse, repeat.
I wouldn't be surprised if there is a group of autists who believe that every one of Whedon's work is in the same universe.

I wonder who are the literal whos who contributed to this dreck.

Syaoran Li

Goth Mom Resurrection
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I wouldn't be surprised if there is a group of autists who believe that every one of Whedon's work is in the same universe.

I wonder who are the literal whos who contributed to this dreck.
TV Tropes.

No seriously, TV Tropes in its early years helped popularize the concept of the Whedonverse and Fast Eddie was a colossal Whedon sperg. TV Tropes started as a Buffy fansite in the early 2000's, before it became what it is today

L50LasPak

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.
kiwifarms.net
Cracked also had a brief segment in their After Hours show dedicated to airing out this theory, but that show was so creatively bankrupt by the end they might have just been quoting the TvTropes stuff @Syaoran Li brought up. I remember they got as far as saying the ending of Cabin in the Woods was the reason Earth was fucked up in Firefly.

• Informative
Reactions: Syaoran Li

HumanHive

Human behavior is exceptional behavior.
kiwifarms.net
Cracked also had a brief segment in their After Hours show dedicated to airing out this theory, but that show was so creatively bankrupt by the end they might have just been quoting the TvTropes stuff @Syaoran Li brought up. I remember they got as far as saying the ending of Cabin in the Woods was the reason Earth was fucked up in Firefly.
That’s the stupidest explanation for Earth That Was I’ve ever heard.

TaimuRadiu

Kaiserin
kiwifarms.net
It doesn't help that the success of Buffy in the 90s led to such bullshit as "Buffy studies" in college courses.

I mean, I like Buffy and Firefly well enough, but Buffy only seemed to get really good when Marti Noxon was given the reigns.

Lensherr

kiwifarms.net
Does the book delve into the fact that Whedon is a complete hypocrite who has committed infidelity on numerous occasions and that according to Ray Fisher he treated the cast of JL like shit?
On that note, does it also talk about how he blamed the Patriarchy for his infidelity?

Aqua Panda

I've seen horrors… horrors that you've seen.
kiwifarms.net
+1 to Whedon's shit not having aged well.

It worked for Buffy, but has gotten painfully obvious and cliche in everything else he's done.

It's gotten so bad, that sometimes characters in his work no longer have actual conversations and just freeform quip about their surroundings.

Nevermind he's the nu-femenist sex pest who openly used his position to cheat on his wife and run a casting couch.

Reactions: BR55 and Syaoran Li
Tags
None