Junji Ito manga -

Dark Mirror Hole

I don't use this site anymore
Unbearable Maze: A nightmarish story where two friends get hopelessly lost within an esoteric Buddhist labyrinth. Doesn't help that every corridor is lined with ancient corpses.
tumblr_m05wsdoi7U1r4xqamo1_500.jpg
tumblr_n3ikn8vlBT1r9qlogo1_500.png

Trickie

I refer to Christine as she/her to annoy you.
True & Honest Fan
I've read quite a lot of these, and I'm not exactly a big fan of this kind of thing, but it's really hard not to appreciate stories that are this unique and creative in what they do. Junji Ito's rendition of Frankenstein is something I really enjoyed in particular, as well as Uzumaki, and I'd highly recommend both.

Out of all the stuff I read, though, there was a chapter of one of the books that really stuck with me for some reason, though called "The Window Next Door" and... well...

RkVOfCJ.png

Junji Ito is something I like to read when I'm bored, (not to mention I'm a sucker for the horror genre) and it's advised not to eat anything while reading his works.
Ice Cream Bus is one of my favorites, but it gets a little fucked up on one page.
img000023.jpg

Jashinist

One of at least a few actual kiwis on Kiwi Farms.
AWWW YISSSS.

You guys should check out Shitaro Kago's stuff if you've exhausted the Junji Ito reserves. His stuff is more blatantly fetish-y but still lots of disturbing and disgusting images. Excrement is a common feature, but in CRAZY creative ways. The first one off the top of my head is a short story about a guy stumbling across a family where they're cradling a huge dookie with tender loving care - the guy is creeped out, then he goes to the toilet and sees babies in the drop hole. Another is where poop could be transferred using cellphones - so celebrity poops were super popular and crazy competitive to get ahold of, "spam" emails was instead messy explosive diarreah - etc. He's good at world-building in really weird ways. Another was a sports game played in zero gravity where players would fart and shit in order to propel themselves towards the ball/getting a goal etc.

For extra amusement, here's a Vice article about how Shintaro "turns shit to gold", since that's like, the theme he's famous for. Way to go down in history, buddy boy.

http://www.vice.com/read/shintaro-kago-shit-gold-v15n2

@Ronald Raygun

John Titor

Pronouns: time/temporal/tempself
True & Honest Fan
It's kind of funny to see that he wrote a slice-of-life comedy about cats. It has his trademark "shit's about to NOPE" moments; but nope, comedy.

Cosmos

Soldier of Love and Bitching on the Internet
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
I really like Ito, but sometimes his endings are just really unsatisfying to me. Like there should be more to some of his stories, but then it just ends.
I just read Drifting Spores and I really liked that.

I fully admit that that's my biggest problem with Ito by far. He just kind of seems to have a hard time tying everything together sometimes. Like, sometimes a story will completely hook you only for you to feel disappointment when it's over.

I've actually noticed that with a lot of horror authors, both Japanese and Western. There just seems to be something about the horror genre that makes it more difficult than most other genres to come up with a satisfying conclusion.

Whatisgoingon

Delgado Bee, Pronouns are Hoss and Hoss-self
True & Honest Fan
Huh, I'll have to read some of this. I've heard of him, but never checked him out. Guess I've found something to do around Halloween.

DangerousGas

Societal Eschatologist
True & Honest Fan
This dude reminds me of Tim Molloy's Mr Unpronounceable comics. There's the same Eraserhead-esque sense of inescapability to them.

Arrosoir

Tiny autist it is.
I fully admit that that's my biggest problem with Ito by far. He just kind of seems to have a hard time tying everything together sometimes. Like, sometimes a story will completely hook you only for you to feel disappointment when it's over.

I've actually noticed that with a lot of horror authors, both Japanese and Western. There just seems to be something about the horror genre that makes it more difficult than most other genres to come up with a satisfying conclusion.
Explain too much and you risk ruining all the mystery or coming across as cheesy and contrived. But if you leave it all up in the air like Ito, you get frustrated readers like you said. I do agree, his tendency to just drop stuff is annoying.

Cosmos

Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
Explain too much and you risk ruining all the mystery or coming across as cheesy and contrived. But if you leave it all up in the air like Ito, you get frustrated readers like you said. I do agree, his tendency to just drop stuff is annoying.

Exactly! Plus, we kind of expect horror books/movies/manga/etc to have one last big scare to really bring it all home, but that can get in the way of coming up with a satisfying conclusion. It really is difficult to get a horror ending right.

Also, shorts (as in, short films/stories/etc) are more about packing in as much of a punch as you can into as little space possible without getting bogged down by anything else, which doesn't leave a lot of room for character or even story development. That effective punch why I love horror shorts so much, but it can feel shallow after a while.

Cosmos

Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
BNxjearCEAAC1W8.jpg

Here is Mr.Ito with Kojima,Man i would like to see a collaboration with them.

It never fails to amuse me now normal Junji Ito looks. You wouldn't look twice at him if you passed him on the street, and yet he produces some of the most fucked-up pictures you'll ever see. Oh, and he used to be a dental technician in the early 90s before he became a full-time mangaka.

Also, this describes me pretty well:

tumblr_mqt39bQaBF1r4xqamo1_500.png