Junji Ito manga -

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Ready for rage? Guess what Ito was helping out with?

image.jpeg

Cosmos

Soldier of Love and Bitching on the Internet
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If you like Junji's stuff, you might like Nakayama Masaaki's work. His Fuan no Tane and Fuan no Tane Plus series are full of short (like 3-4 pages per story short) creepy stories that will get under your skin.

Yes. I love Fuan no Tane! It's kind of hit or miss sometimes, but the stories that are good are really good.

Frank D'arbo

catchin bitchs while bitchs catch feelens
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Just finished reading Uzumaki and holy fuck that was great

It's really rare for me to be creeped out and Ito did it multiple times, sometimes more than once in the same chapter

Varis

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Let's get some updates in this resurrected thread.

Junji Ito Collection, the anime adaptation of some of Ito's stories, came out in 2018. Some episodes can be found on YouTube, and the complete series is on Crunchyroll.

As for his newer works, Jamini's Box is translating Ito's comic adaptation of No Longer Human. I'm not personally familiar with the book, but I like the story so far. Also, there's titties.

Freddy Freaker

Poz my freak hole daddy
kiwifarms.net
Let's get some updates in this resurrected thread.

Junji Ito Collection, the anime adaptation of some of Ito's stories, came out in 2018. Some episodes can be found on YouTube, and the complete series is on Crunchyroll.

As for his newer works, Jamini's Box is translating Ito's comic adaptation of No Longer Human. I'm not personally familiar with the book, but I like the story so far. Also, there's titties.
The anime was OK. They faithfully adapted his work, but it was 100% the same and it feels like they wasted some opportunity. The result was mostly meh for me. Also, no love for Junji Ito's Cat Diary? It's his only non-horror work about him, his wife, and their cats.
910oqoD3IhL.jpg

junji-ito-cat-diary-1.jpg

catdiary4.png

TaimuRadiu

Kaiserin
kiwifarms.net
I've read exactly one manga of his and that is CAT DIARY.

910oqoD3IhL.jpg
1_46odLFCVfa-gKees34YV-Q.png

junji-itos-cat-diary-yon-and-mu-by-junji-ito-image-22.jpg

It's actually a sweet and heartwarming story of his two cats.

edit: bring on the late ratings it's what I deserve for not reading the thread

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Did that Uzumaki anime happen yet? Also I should scrounge up a copy of the live action, I haven't watched that in years

Cosmos

Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Glad to see this thread revived! I had forgotten about it.

Good timing, because I actually just bought Junji Ito's latest work in English:

IMG_8644.JPG

It's called No Longer Human. It's an adaptation on a very popular Japanese novel, similar to when Ito tackled Frankenstein. I haven't read it yet, but apparently it's more focused on the tragedy of the human condition than straight-up horror (but does contain some horror elements). It's gotten good reviews so I'm excited to read it.

Xolanite

Misogynist
kiwifarms.net
My favorite Junji Ito story is the one where an attempted group suicide leads to a discovery about harvesting pearls that grant wishes (?)

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Unfortunately I've not read any Ito in a decade now, early 2010, when I read Uzumaki and Gyo back to back (with "The Enigma of Amigara Fault" included as bonus story)

I was very impressed but simply have yet to get around to reading more.

Cosmos

Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Glad to see this thread revived! I had forgotten about it.

Good timing, because I actually just bought Junji Ito's latest work in English:

View attachment 1094625

It's called No Longer Human. It's an adaptation on a very popular Japanese novel, similar to when Ito tackled Frankenstein. I haven't read it yet, but apparently it's more focused on the tragedy of the human condition than straight-up horror (but does contain some horror elements). It's gotten good reviews so I'm excited to read it.

I finished reading this, it’s really good! Definitely different from Ito’s usual fare (far more grounded and realistic) but still really interesting and thought-provoking. I recommend it.

My favorite Junji Ito story is the one where an attempted group suicide leads to a discovery about harvesting pearls that grant wishes (?)

That’s called Black Paradox!

Cosmos

Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have exciting news! It turns out that Junji Ito's getting three English-language releases in 2020!

April 21: The Art of Junji Ito: Twisted Visions. This isn't a manga but rather a collection of over 130 illustrations by Ito.

August 18: Venus in the Blind Spot. This is a collection of some of his short stories a la Shiver. Two of the stories mentioned in the description are "Human Chair" and one of his most famous stories, "The Enigma of Amigara Fault." I'm very excited to see what else is going to be included, Shiver had some great ones.

December 15: Remina. This is the first official English-language release of Hellstar Remina. It's a one-volume story about a giant planet consuming creature from another dimension that comes to terrorize Earth. Personally, I like it and think it's worth reading, but it's towards the bottom of my list when it comes to Ito stories.

I'm planning on buying all three of these, I want to support more Junji Ito manga being published in English. Plus, I really like growing my Ito library.