Law Kavanaugh sides with liberal justices against Apple, deals blow to tech giant in App Store challenge - Supreme Court says Apple customers can sue over App Store monopoly claims

Sword Fighter Super

I hope the princess made lotsah spaghetti!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
God I hope you're joking.
About which part?

Yeah I seriously don't get what the fuck kind of thinking prompted the removal of the 3.5mm jack connection. Bluetooth headsets/earbuds have a number of issues (audio quality, noticeable lag, occasional signal interference problems for some reason), and are generally a bad choice if you want to actually enjoy your music via your phone. Though apparently they make headphones/earbuds that can use the Lightning link.
Wired connections are Always the most stable. My ideal home network setup would consist mostly of ethernet cables, but yeah, when Apple made that call I had completely written their products off.

Last edited:

Red Sun

kiwifarms.net
The hardware part.
I mean, what's so disagreeable about it? Their devices tend to feel really hefty and sturdy despite being stupid thin. I don't really care about the thin part, but some people do. I've never owned an apple product* because I hate all their operating systems and I hate being tied to proprietary peripherals and software, but the one thing I've always been envious of the apple fags about is the high-quality feel of their devices.

*Except for a pair of those weird ear buds I found on a park bench once, which seemed pretty high-quality considering they were abandoned and deep-cleaned but still seemed to work fine afterward.

• Agree
Reactions: Sword Fighter Super

Sam Losco

Caveman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I mean, what's so disagreeable about it? Their devices tend to feel really hefty and sturdy despite being stupid thin. I don't really care about the thin part, but some people do. I've never owned an apple product* because I hate all their operating systems and I hate being tied to proprietary peripherals and software, but the one thing I've always been envious of the apple fags about is the high-quality feel of their devices.

*Except for a pair of those weird ear buds I found on a park bench once, which seemed pretty high-quality considering they were abandoned and deep-cleaned but still seemed to work fine afterward.
Don't be deceived by a flashy appearance. Go watch some Louis Rossmann videos, he repairs macbooks. He talks shit about them all the time with their awful design choices. For example, on their newer laptops, they decided to shorten the screen's flat flex cable by about a mm or two. The results are more stress just from opening and closing it causing it to break and the screen stops working. They refuse to acknowledge a design problem and will charge you hundreds and replace the entire screen because they shortened.

They are also very, very anti 3rd party repair, because they want to rip people off with repairs because of their shitty designs. To the point that their screens have a unique ID that has to be whitelisted and matched with security chips on the motherboard, preventing you from replacing it yourself or having a 3rd party do it. It may be the same screen as an older model, but if it's not the right ID, it won't work... for a fucking screen. They even got Customs to seize a shipment of batteries Louis had ordered saying they were counterfeit (they weren't). Apple can eat shit.

Dunkirk

My other car is a STUG
kiwifarms.net
In what way can monopoly not be anti-competitive in nature? Like, it's called monopoly precisely because it doesn't have any competition.
I can think of exactly one time there was an effective monopoly that actually played in favour of the consumer, Steam. For some reason, and somehow, Valve has managed to both be incredibility greedy and yet not abuse the fact that they were a monopoly at all, it was a sort of perfect balance that I wish was possible in any other business but i know it isn't.

I can think of exactly one time there was an effective monopoly that actually played in favour of the consumer, Steam. For some reason, and somehow, Valve has managed to both be incredibility greedy and yet not abuse the fact that they were a monopoly at all, it was a sort of perfect balance that I wish was possible in any other business but i know it isn't.
Valve wasn't a monopoly when they started steam. There were plenty of places to buy computer games from.

Valve became a monopoly because they were so much more convenient and easy to use than all those other places. Or at least, monopoly-ish, as again there are plenty of other places to buy games, and plenty of other places to sell games (GOG immediately comes to mind). But without external protection their monopoly status was never an issue because there's not huge regulatory burdens in making a new game storefront.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: spiritofamermaid

Sprig of Parsley

kiwifarms.net
Valve wasn't a monopoly when they started steam. There were plenty of places to buy computer games from.

Valve became a monopoly because they were so much more convenient and easy to use than all those other places. Or at least, monopoly-ish, as again there are plenty of other places to buy games, and plenty of other places to sell games (GOG immediately comes to mind). But without external protection their monopoly status was never an issue because there's not huge regulatory burdens in making a new game storefront.
Fuck Steam and fuck Gayben. GOG's alright, for now. I'll shop with GOG before I go through Steam.

X Prime

kiwifarms.net
What, did you forget the paid mods fiasco that Valve enabled?

Valve is willing to be anticonsumer, but not to the point where it harms customer goodwill... yet.

pwnest injun

Management of Savagery
kiwifarms.net
Honestly, their hardware designs are usually pretty intuitive, even if their programming is not.
I really liked all my ipods, but I fucking HATED using itunes.
Apple does a good job of pairing bits of hardware so that you get everything at about the same level, instead of bottlenecking. That's about it though. Their component bits have gotten cheaper and cheaper to the point that they're fucking their premium image with penny pinching bullshit like garbage keyboards, or saving 2 cents on wiring. They've embraced disposibility by design. Only people habituated to Apple will ever buy thier products now. They're not going to get another convert ever again.

• Agree
Reactions: Sword Fighter Super

Dunkirk

My other car is a STUG
kiwifarms.net
What, did you forget the paid mods fiasco that Valve enabled?

Valve is willing to be anticonsumer, but not to the point where it harms customer goodwill... yet.
I did not, yet I also don't forget that Valve backed off pretty quickly and hasn't tried anything like that since. I think that valve thought that it would be a pro-consumer act by encouraging mod development through easy financial support. Don't forget that the main driving force behind that wasn't just Valve, but Bethesda too which then proceeded to go ahead with the Atom shop as well as Fallout 76.

The best and greatest

kiwifarms.net

If I had to guess, their market-share mostly comes from steam sales. Get people to buy lots of games on your platform and once they have a solid collection built up that's what they'll use.

Boy, it's almost like Justice Kavanaugh was a reasonable, seasoned, right-of-center Judge who doesn't believe in hardline party-dogma stances, just like we all said he was, isn't it?
I would avoid making that distinction off of one instance where he and the left leaning justices found concensus. This is to say nothing of the guy himself, but the night is still young, and Kav still has the rest of his life to make rulings yet. Still, good on the guy. Let me know when we get to R2R.

pwnest injun

Management of Savagery
kiwifarms.net
Honestly it would be a good trick if Kav planned to be a partisan hack, but plays middle of the road until after the next presidential election. You're absolutely right that he has a lifetime yet to go, so embarrassing all of the DNC agents who did all of that idiot Handmaidens Tale garbage is totally worth sticking it to big business, so long as that business is tech.

TowinKarz

Thoroughly Unimpressed
kiwifarms.net
I would avoid making that distinction off of one instance where he and the left leaning justices found concensus. This is to say nothing of the guy himself, but the night is still young, and Kav still has the rest of his life to make rulings yet. Still, good on the guy. Let me know when we get to R2R.
Point is, Bernie and co's frantic "Rubber stahmp fascism" talk failed to vet on the very FIRST decision of note.

Alec Benson Leary

Creator of Asperchu
Christorical Figure
kiwifarms.net
Yeah I seriously don't get what the fuck kind of thinking prompted the removal of the 3.5mm jack connection. Bluetooth headsets/earbuds have a number of issues (audio quality, noticeable lag, occasional signal interference problems for some reason), and are generally a bad choice if you want to actually enjoy your music via your phone. Though apparently they make headphones/earbuds that can use the Lightning link.
Emphasis added, because that's exactly why they removed the headphone jacks - to create another proprietary peripheral, ideally one that you'll have to replace with every new device.
Steve Jobs was never a genius because of any creative paradigms or risk taking ventures. His entire career was about shoving shit down the consumer's throat whether they wanted it or not and telling them they weren't one of the cool kids if they didn't accept it. That's the reason Apple to this day is able to get away with fucking over their customers with endless denial of convenience and accessibility. When you buy an Apple product you're not buying a product, you're buying a lifestyle.

Arguably, it was Jobs' reality distortion field that truly kicked off the elitist fantasy of silicon valley and gave them all the cultural clout they have now.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino