Artcow Ken Penders - Former Archie Sonic Comic Writer/Artist

Segue

kiwifarms.net

Look at that smile...reminds me of a certain someone.
Ken Penders is a freelance comic book artist who's infamous for having a very big ego, being a horrible artist, and somehow managing to fuck up Sonic the Hedgehog. Even the Sonic community hates him!

Unlike others, Penders has actually worked in the comic industry. He wrote and drew the Sonic the Hedgehog comic by Archie for a while and fucked it all up. He introduced numerous original creations in the storylines and made everything convoluted as hell. His influence on the comic was so bad it almost killed the Sonic comic entirely, his work being the lowest point in the comic's sale history.

After he left the comic he went into this debacle with Archie comics over his original characters in the comic, demanding he have a cut of all profits made from the comics. Archie comics didn't wanna deal with his shit, so they soft rebooted the storyline and removed any trace of Penders in it.

Nowadays he's trying to get his own comics starring his Sonic characters published. He also spends time moderating his own internet forum, mostly arguing with members who are obviously only there to piss him off.

Heres some examples of his brilliant work:

He's also got his own website which looks like a relic from the mid 90's.
http://www.kenpenders.com/

His Twitter is a trove of lulz from him.
https://twitter.com/kenpenders

Other stuff:
http://kenpenders.com/forums/index.php
http://thelara-suchronicles.com/

General Juicer

kiwifarms.net
Ah, Ken Penders. Now there's a name that conjures up feelings of nostalgia.

Back in the Internet 1.0 days, long before Sonichu was even a twinkle in Father's eyes, Ken Penders was some sort of super-duper lolcow magnet. David Gonterman, who is/was somewhat inaccurately known as Chris-chan 0.7, used to be one of the most vocal Penders haters but he was far from the only one. Kefka the Dark One and that crazy fucker who wrote TekkaSonic and Bookshire Draftwood were also huge Penders haters.

Looks like things have come full-circle.

D

DH 384

kiwifarms.net
Ah, right, Ken Penders...I had heard of this guy before and was pointed to a gigantic thread over on Sonicretro a while back (watch out for the autism beyond the thread guardrails). And it's the closest thing another forum besides us will have to a lolcow thread. From everything I've read there, and I don't know a shred about the comics or anything besides how Sonic can range from decent on the Genesis to shit almost everywhere else, Ken Penders' run is universally hated. Lots of "My totally original character Nipples the Enchilada!" too.

I hadn't been on here for a while and I'm just guessing the best place to start the thread at since it's a serious mess: http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=21670&st=1230

My reaction to this can pretty much be summed up as WTF that abomination looks like it belongs in Foodfight

SteelPlatedHeart

Politics are fucking dumb
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I remember this guy. Pissed off a large amount of the fans of the Archie Sonic comics when they removed his characters from the comics because he said they all belonged to him. As I recall, among the casualties were an entire group of villains, the entire race of echidnas save Knuckles, and Sonic's parents(these are the ones that people were most upset about).

AnOminous

FIST FUCK
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
This guy is a fucking idiot. What surprises me is that Archie Comics would pull a noob move like not having all this in an ironclad contract keeping the unstable loony they hired from fucking it all up in a spergtacular meltdown years down the road.

It isn't like Archie is exactly a new operation that has never dealt with an ongoing franchise before, like, well, the one they're named after.

Ken Penders is a huge douche and there are probably whole paragraphs in onerous comic book contracts now invented just to prevent him from ever happening again.

I usually tend to side with artists who get screwed by large corporations, but what expectation do you really have creating in an existing franchise that anyone but the company will have control over it? And this colossal dipshit thinks he gets the comic book equivalent of final cut?

Nothing much to be said about this guy but fuck him. Too bad they didn't have an attorney fee-shifting agreement for if they won any case arising out of the employment they stupidly gave this fucking weirdo. They'd own his ass for life.

Shadow Fox

Internet Professional
kiwifarms.net
Ah, Ken Penders. Now there's a name that conjures up feelings of nostalgia.

Back in the Internet 1.0 days, long before Sonichu was even a twinkle in Father's eyes, Ken Penders was some sort of super-duper lolcow magnet. David Gonterman, who is/was somewhat inaccurately known as Chris-chan 0.7, used to be one of the most vocal Penders haters but he was far from the only one. Kefka the Dark One and that crazy fucker who wrote TekkaSonic and Bookshire Draftwood were also huge Penders haters.

Looks like things have come full-circle.
What was it that set off Gonterman? Wasn't it some storyline where Sonic's girlfriend dies or something?

And lololol Kefka the Dark One. There's a badfic author I haven't thought about in a longass time.

Pickle Inspector

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It isn't like Archie is exactly a new operation that has never dealt with an ongoing franchise before, like, well, the one they're named after.
It makes a bit more sense if you consider people like this were in charge of Archie - http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/archie-boss-calls-male-employees-penis-article-1.1534462
"[T]he word ‘penis’ became somewhat of a campaign slogan and her preferred method of referring to employees in lieu of their names,” their new filing says."

I remember reading about Penders last year and from what I could gather he does have the right to use his true and honest original characters in name but he isn't allowed to draw them in the same style as the Sonic character Knuckles anymore hence the new look but that might have just been speculation.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino